Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Annual mechanical inspection form ?

cuslog ยท 2015-11-26 22:17

I'm in BC, Canada. Besides my daily operator's inspection, an annual structural inspection (magnaflux every accessable weld), and operator Certification, "Worksafe BC" is now requiring an annual mechanical inspection "by a qualified person". In discussing this with my Worksafe BC rep., I told him that I do all of my own maintenance and repairs, he suggested that (for now at least) they would accept my doing my own annual inspection but I was to keep a written record of it. Anyone out there with what might be an "appropriate" "Mobile Crane Annual Mechanical Inspection Form" ?? Failing that, suggestions as to what I should include on my own "home made" form. Thanks in advance. Engine Transmission Final Drives Tires Brakes Hydraulic Pump Air System Winch(es) Cable

Replies11
  1. #1Nige2015-11-27 04:40

    A few thoughts, having come across this type of thing before. I would guess that Worksafe BC does not have any definition of a Qualified Person therefore work under the assumption that any person is regarded as being competent to do these inspections until proved otherwise. There are legal precedents for this. Based on experience in the UK the Form 97 annual crane inspection form was not a huge form, and did not go into minute detail. Below the details at the top of the page of the crane make/model/serial number, date of inspection, and name of the person inspecting the crane there was simply a list of the items/systems to be inspected. Below that was one large box in which had to be written details of any defects found. If no defects were found the words "In Good Working Order" were put in that box and at the bottom of the page there was a space for the signature of the person making the inspection. So I would suggest you could start with the list that you posted above and possibly add some or all of the following items to it. I'm assuming you are working with a hydraulic mobile crane here: - Safe Load Indicator (if equipped) Hook Block Boom Hydraulic Cylinders Swing Bearing Outriggers (structural/hydraulic/electrical) Chassis Also, if you go this route, then put something like "any other component/system not specifically mentioned above that could affect the safe operation of the equipment" at the end of the list of machine systems to be inspected. That would cover anything else that you might spot during an inspection that didn't fall into one of the aforementioned categories. If you want to go further and produce a more elaborate inspection checklist. We had a simple code system that identified what we found and what action needed to be taken. It was divided into 4 categories for condtion and 4 for the action that needed taking. Condition OK LE - Leaking DA - Cracked or Damaged WO - Worn Out Action Required CL - Clean AD - Adjust RE - Repair CH - Change If you knock something up on an Excel spreadsheet then it would be possible to check more than one box relating to both the condition and the action required for any given item.

  2. #2oldtanker2015-11-27 08:47

    I'd give a lawyer a call before you do your own inspection just because of liability issues and see what they think about you doing your own inspection. Rick

  3. #3cuslog2015-11-27 12:04

    Thanks for your replies. I've also discussed this with the guy that does the Magnaflux inspections. He tells me that Worksafe BC wanted the Engineer that provides the structural certificate to also do the mechanical inspection. Apparently, the Engineers have refused, saying that a mechanical inspection would be outside their area of expertise so therefore not qualified. On their inspection report, they do note that "the machine noted was observed operating and all functions APPEAR to be operating correctly". So, it seems to me that Worksafe BC is TRYING to be somewhat reasonable in this by not insisting that it go to a "Crane repair" specialist or a "Heavy Duty Truck" repair shop for its "annual inspection". So, I'm just trying to do my "due diligence" to have some kind of paper work on hand in the event of an "incident" that they feel they need to investigate.

  4. #4excavator2015-11-27 12:05

    I've been dealing with the same thing as far as scissor and man lift annual inspections. The law requires the person doing the inspection to be one having knowledge of the type of equipment being inspected. Having talked to former rental company employees they have said the company would send them to a one day class put on by Genie or JLG covering maintenance of their machines. This was all that was needed to be qualified to do annual inspections. So really all they have over me is a piece of paper. As far as finding an inspection form, google something like "annual crane inspection form" and you should find a useful form.

  5. #5shipman2015-11-27 14:58

    http://www.maintainer.com/files/2414/1470/2650/NEW_-_Crane_Checklist.pdf Here is one, you can download the pdf and print out blank forms. Gerry

  6. #6td25c2015-11-27 20:51

    Yeah cuslog , I would think something like what shipman posted would work . Have some Grove inspection manuals . Don't know if they would work or not ? It's formatted like a log book with 10 , 50 , 200 , 500 , and 1000 hour check lists .

  7. #7ichudov2015-11-27 22:43

    I love that Grove form, it is so official looking. Will use it for sure. Thanks

  8. #8td25c2015-11-27 23:04

    I like that manual as well ichudov . The boys at the big G office got that figured out long time ago bro .:thumbsup

  9. #9cuslog2015-11-28 10:51

    Thanks very much guys, much appreciated. That's exactly what I needed - not sure which one I'll use yet, may take them both for a "test run".

  10. #10td25c2015-11-28 11:39

    Yeah cuslog , is this for the 720 Clark R/T crane ? The Grove inspection manual I posted dates mid 1970's vintage . Probably work fine . PM me an address or P.O. number and I'll toss it your direction .

  11. #11cuslog2015-11-28 12:37

    Hey, thanks man. PM sent