I have a Grove Rt-60S crane with a Cummins V504C V8 diesel engine. The engine works, but leaks from the bottom oil pan seal. I can take the engine out myself and reseal it. But I wanted to get a good mechanic to look at it while it is still inside to see if it also needs a rebuild, such as new rings and liners. May make sense to do if the engine is already out. I can do all the heavy lifting, get the engine out, and he can do it in my shop. Would anyone recommend such a diesel mechanic near Chicago. I am in Berkeley, IL. Thanks a lot
I know a guy up there. I'll text him. Does it have alot of blowby or running issues besides the oil leak? If it runs good and has no issues I'd probably roll a set of rod and main bearings in it while the oil pan is off and call it good. But if it has a ton of hours might not be a bad idea to go through it.
It runs good and strong. At least this is how it feels, I do not push engines in general, but the crane, for example, does drive on grades, such as on my beavertail; trailer. I do not know how to create a lot of load for the engine to see how it does under load. It does, however, have a lot of blow-by. The smoke is mostly decent.
Does anyone know how to interpret "oil sample analysis"? I bought this crane on Iron Planet: http://goo.gl/Djnjfy They have oil sample analysis near the bottom if you follow the above URL. This might be enough to give me an answer as to how much wear is on the engine, no? thanks