Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Annular cutter for drill press?

RobVG ยท 2013-11-20 22:03

What do you guys think of this chuck for annular cutters? Ebay

Replies12
  1. #1willie592013-11-20 22:18

    I don't see why that wouldn't work. Question though, you have a drill press that accepts morse taper? I'm jealous.

  2. #2RobVG2013-11-20 22:23

    Yeah Willie, got it at Harbor Freight. I've never used these cutters. Are they mainly intended for mag drills. (never used a mag drill either)

  3. #3willie592013-11-20 22:33

    An annular cutter is typically used with any rigid perpendicular drill, e.g. mag drill, drill press, end mill, not typically used with a hand held drill. The beauty of them is the clean/straight holes they drill. They are expensive, but the hole quality is the closest thing you'll get to machine shop results. I love them.

  4. #4powerjoke2013-11-20 22:38

    One time I seen a annular cutter with a smooth steel pin in the center?.... I am guessing it was for a pilot hole for hand drill ? I have a portable snapon drill press but it is no where near as good as a mag-drill ...... Shoulda just saved the money and bought a mag drill

  5. #5willie592013-11-20 22:45

    I have a Slugger mag drill PJ. With the slugger, that steel pin in the center does two things, 1) mark your spot to drill, no need to center punch, line up the steel pin with the spot and drill, and 2) an annular drill will make a slug when the hole punches through, this "slug" will typically lodge in the hole in the center of the annular cutter. On a Jancy Slugger drill, when you crank the Slugger drill press fully back up, the pin shoves the "slug" out of the cutter.

  6. #6Impact2013-11-21 06:18

    Mag drills with slugcutters are my friend.

  7. #7Old Doug2013-11-21 18:39

    Keep in mined most drill presses will burn up annular cutters. Most are to fast.

  8. #8norite2013-11-22 00:32

    Most, if not all the modern drill presses I have seen or used have a morse taper in the quill. Your chuck is probably mounted on a morse taper adapter, I'd be surprised if you have a modern drill press without it. I just pop the chuck and adapter out with a little wedge and plug mt bits of the same taper right in or use an adapter for other sizes. Once done, slip the chuck back in, tap up on it with a brass hammer or using a block of wood to protect the chuck and you are back to normal for use with a chuck.

  9. #9Scrub Puller2013-11-22 02:17

    Yair . . . Norite . Pleased you mentioned that, I was wondering, thought things may be different in the 'States. I don't think I have ever seen a drill press without a Morse taper in the quill. Cheers.

  10. #10RobVG2013-11-22 22:35

    Ended up using a plain old hole saw. Inch and a quarter holes through one inch flat bar. A buddy of mine turned me on to soluble cutting oil. It worked great. Holes were a little oversized but that's what I wanted. Figgin' machine shop wanted $50 a hole.

  11. #11willie592013-11-22 22:59

    It's not really that things are "different" here in the States, it's just that my drill press has a JT (Jacobs) taper quill, not the same as Morse Taper. However, I think there are adapters available for the quill to accept other tapers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_taper

  12. #12Scrub Puller2013-11-23 00:18

    Yair . . . Gotcha willie59 . . . I never heard of a Jacobs taper. (he grins)