Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Anny issues with Canandian machines?

Duke · 2007-05-11 16:15

Found a loaded deere 310SG B/H. Paint was below average, looks like it sat outside most of its' life, but it could be repainted. Most warning labels in the cab were in French. Any issues with buying Canandian

Replies8
  1. #1Dickie2007-05-12 07:51

    First thing that pops to mind would be rust issues. You say most of the labels were in French? Assuming they weren't bilingual that would indicate most likely a Quebec machine, or possibly one in New Brunswick. Having never been to Quebec, I can't say too much, but I'd imagine they get quite a dumping of snow every year, so this machine may have been used to clear snow in a possibly-salted road environment. If it is in New Brunswick, then you could have salt air issues, and having wintered in Northern New Brunswick I can tell you that snow is most DEFINITELY falling quite a bit, so again a salt-road issue. Any more info or history on this piece? Canada's a big place!

  2. #2Duke2007-05-12 09:20

    The warning labels were purely in French. The gauges & switches are in English. I looked underneath and some paint peeling has started. The buckets are all surface rusted. The cab itself is in good shape. The telltale signs of salt in the air or on the ground are there. Under the cab, the mounts have paint peeling off them, the door sills & cab steps have surface rust & peeling powdercoat paint. It's loaded to the gills. Cab w/ air, powershift transmission, ride control, hydraulics to front & rear, pilot excavator B/H controls, just about every option is on it. The hours are quite high (4200) for an '04 machine. There was no blowby and the transmission shifted fine. The B/H was loose like you'd expect after 4200 hrs, but not sloppy. The FEL bucket needs a little attention. 4x4 worked good, no grinding or weird noises.

  3. #3345cl2007-05-12 13:04

    chances are duke the backhoe was used for snow in the winter for sure,but if the machine was well maintained then a little rust isnt to bad if you know were the backhoe came from or who let me know..

  4. #4Gmads2007-05-12 14:31

    I'd also be curious about what fees, taxes, duties, or whatever is charged to bring in equipment from Canada. Maybe it's nothing, but I don't know - maybe someone else knows something about it.

  5. #5Duke2007-05-12 14:47

    It's already here in the USA, so all those fees have already been paid. I've seen quite a few machines from Canada. I wonder if it has to do with the value of the dollar compared to CA currency.

  6. #6Meca-nick2011-12-20 19:33

    always the same , us to canada and canada to us ,governement don't give a buck! you paid and repaid ! they dont care...

  7. #7Andre Grondin2011-12-21 07:35

    Hi ! depends where it is coming from in Québec but it is not every where that we are floded with snow ( wow floded with snow ) worst case scenario all label can be obtain by a dealer or even on the net , Canadian machines are usualy pretty much the same as the US ones . all depends on maintenance , maybe you can find the owner for more info on the machine , call or write Deere with the VIN # an they can tell were the machine was ( I dealt with Deere on those issues and the service was great) . good backhoeing to you !! from lower canuckistan (saw this on this froum and I liked it )

  8. #8Emerson2011-12-21 07:48

    I'd look at the cab. My 87' 580K has spent most of it's life in upper NB right on the QC boarder and the wheel wells and lower cab sections are rusted pretty bad.