Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Another 580b shuttle thread

digfaster580b · 2020-06-19 03:13

I have an old case 580b backhoe with the single gear stick, 4 speeds and shuttle on the column. Was pulling strong in both directions then it started feeling like the brakes were dragging. Now when shuttle is in neutral the machine goes forward pretty much normally maybe slipping a little. Put shuttle in forwards and you get the brake dragging feeling and put it in reverse and you go nowhere. Also when you put your foot on the dump pedal it continues its antics and does not stop at all. All spool on the top of the shuttle are moving freely. Do you think I've blown a gasket in the cover or maybe the seal rings on the clutch shaft. Thanks in advance for any assistance

Replies10
  1. #1digfaster580b2020-06-19 20:51

    Picture of backhoe and ID plate

  2. #2digfaster580b2020-06-21 07:53

    What is missing from this machine here

  3. #3digfaster580b2020-06-21 07:55

    Also am I missing anything from this unit on the loader control

  4. #4Mr580backhoe!2020-06-21 15:05

    In the picture posted of the right side of the machine tilted what is missing here it you are missing a hydraulic lift cylinder.

  5. #5digfaster580b2020-06-21 18:36

    Yes that is what it looks like mounts there but it operates without it, I was thinking it was a assistance cylinder for helping lift the bucket. But it's only on one side, why one side, I thought that would twist the loader frame.

  6. #6Mr580backhoe!2020-06-21 19:28

    Im not exactly sure why it’s designed like that. Im hoping one of the senior members will chime in and explain it. Im curious to know myself how it works and why only the one side

  7. #7mitch5042020-06-21 19:53

    It was a tilt sense cylinder. As the boom went up, it pulled the cylinder piston out, sending oil to the bucket tilt cylinders to keep bucket level.

  8. #8digfaster580b2020-06-27 22:52

    Ah cool thanks that makes sense now. I'll look into the hosing and ram dimensions to get that operating again.

  9. #9mitch5042020-06-27 22:59

    Personally, I wouldn't. You'll learn quickly to tilt the bucket as you come up so you don't load the hood.

  10. #10digfaster580b2020-06-27 23:01

    Gotcha, might save myself the trouble