Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pilot control towers won’t stay in place

Joe kelly · 2020-06-18 20:32

Hey everyone. New member. I just bought a 2010 Case 580 super M series 3 backhoe. The pilot control towers aren’t staying in place. It operates fine and I could leave it but would like them to be secure. I’m pretty handy but never worked on machines. Wondering if this might be something I could fix myself? Has anyone dealt with this issue? Thanks!

Replies2
  1. #1kith2020-06-19 20:41

    Underneath the machine above the rear axle is an adjustable gas strut that is your problem. To replace it is not to bad but it is close quarters. On the adjustment end of the strut loosen lock nut just a little then when you get it out put it on the new one the same distance. It's on the left side when facing forward.

  2. #2Joe kelly2020-06-27 17:45

    Thank you kith I appreciate the answer. I bought the strut I’ll attempt to replace it this weekend.