Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Another 580bck won’t start question

Zach G · 2020-04-13 20:23

I have a 1976 case 580bck that won’t start the selinoid will click over and the starter engages and will knock over but it won’t actually start. I start it by jumping the selinoid and it just won’t work. I have replaced the starter and selinoid. Tomorrow is a new battery this one I keep on a battery charger and I’m hoping it’s just dead. The machine is sitting on an angle as that is where it was when I turned it off last time. Any suggestions? Please help Zach G

Replies30
  1. #1Delmer2020-04-13 20:43

    if it's not blowing some mist/fog while it's cranking the engine over, fill the tank up and bleed the fuel system. Then try it again. Bring the battery inside over night so it's warmed up in the morning.

  2. #2Tinkerer2020-04-13 20:55

    Welcome to HEF, Zach !

  3. #3Zach G2020-04-13 21:09

    It doesn’t turn over enough to inject fuel the starter only bumps the engine over

  4. #4highwayghost2020-04-13 21:14

    When was the last time it ran?

  5. #5Zach G2020-04-13 21:21

    About 2 weeks ago fired right up no issues

  6. #6highwayghost2020-04-13 21:25

    Be sure all the battery cables and ground to frame to engine are clean and tight.

  7. #7Delmer2020-04-13 21:39

    Does it crank enough that you know the engine is turning over a complete revolution? if it hasn't turned over several revs with the old battery, then I'd turn the engine over by hand to make sure it's not hydro locked before you put a new battery on it to try again. If it's free and the new battery doesn't turn it over, then use a voltmeter to see what the voltage is at the starter while cranking, and go from there.

  8. #8Coy Lancaster2020-04-16 13:55

    Have you checked your power steering pump for being low of fluid or possible locked up. Also check your control levers and make sure none are stuck and trying to move a cylinder as you crank the engine. Just something to think about if all electrical functions check out. Also you said that you had to jump it at starter, some of the early "Bs" had a start position which was all the way to the left and up on four speed shifter. Later ones just put shifter in neutral, dirty trick is to connect the wires together at the switch in shifter cover.

  9. #969 Kauai Boy2020-04-18 03:48

    My 188d fuel line is self priming, i just bleed out air from filters, is white smoke coming out of exhaust when cranking motor, hopefully its not the fuel pump.

  10. #10Zach G2020-04-18 13:01

    I cannot get it to crank yet it is still just clicking at the starter this weekend I am going to replace the battery cables and the battery hopefully

  11. #1169 Kauai Boy2020-04-18 15:12

    If its clicking at starter, battery good, check spring lenght in solenoid, if the problem is it wont turn over period, try turning motor with a wrench, just to make sure it turns

  12. #12Zach G2020-06-04 11:47

    Motor turns but here are some new issues I found with it still not starting negative battery cables starts to sizzle when Im trying to start it. If I let it sit for a couple days it does one rotation then won’t try to start anymore thinking maybe it’s a hot ground somewhere can I remove all the wires except the wires to the starter will it still start that way

  13. #13Coy Lancaster2020-06-04 12:01

    What happens if you jump it at the starter between the hot post and the small post.

  14. #14Zach G2020-06-04 12:36

    That is when I jump the big post to small post on the starter. It’s the only way I have ever started it

  15. #15Coy Lancaster2020-06-04 16:25

    What about the starter button on the dash? Is the neutral start switch good? Do you have a good ground to the tractor?

  16. #16Zach G2020-06-04 20:50

    There is no starter button on the dash where is the neutral safety switch?

  17. #1769 Kauai Boy2020-06-05 03:28

    Try wire a button straight to starter, if your ground sizzles, check all your ground to make sure you have a good ground, electrons travel from - to +.

  18. #1869 Kauai Boy2020-06-05 03:31

    Oh, dont worry about safety switch if you wire direct to starter, can start in fwd and reverse.lol

  19. #19Coy Lancaster2020-06-05 08:00

    There should be a button unless someone has wired it to the key switch. The neutral start switch is in the four speed shifter cover. There should be two wires attached to a solenoid looking switch. Some of the tractors had a start position you had to put the four speed shifter in a certain place which I believe was over to the le

  20. #20Coy Lancaster2020-06-05 08:01

    I meant to send that last post last night but oh well.

  21. #21Zach G2020-06-11 22:08

    here is a video of me trying to start the tractor so you know what I’m talking about

  22. #22Delmer2020-06-12 00:22

    Check all the hydraulic valves to make sure they're in neutral, center position. When trying to start it, hold the loader bucket tilt control valve so the cylinder can move while you're cranking.

  23. #23Coy Lancaster2020-06-12 07:01

    Con you turn the engine over by hand?

  24. #24Zach G2020-06-12 11:16

    The hydraulic motor is disconnected at the moment I thought maybe it was bound up but still the same result

  25. #25Zach G2020-06-12 11:17

    a little I haven’t figured out a good position to get much of anything to turn it but it will turn

  26. #26Delmer2020-06-12 11:38

    You need to turn the engine 360 degrees, preferably twice around/720 degrees to make sure it's not hitting something or hydrolocked. Trying a little of this, and a little of that might work if you know what you're doing, but it doesn't help us help you find out what is going on. Might be time to remove the starter, then you can see how it functions removed from the engine, and see how easy the engine turns over with a screwdriver as a prybar on the flywheel teeth. Also, it wouldn't hurt to list what you've done and replaced, people forget, or miss one of the replies even if they go back and read the whole thread. Have you tried jumper cables from a good battery to the starter connections?

  27. #27Tinkerer2020-06-12 13:39

    A classic example of the need for a clamp-on ammeter to see how much the starter is drawing when it is engaged. When you have the starter off take it to re-builder that knows how to test it.

  28. #28Zach G2020-06-24 19:51

    Here is what I have done so far Brand new starter form dB electrical New battery cables Removed hydraulic pump Put jumper cables from a running truck to the starter Jumping the leads on the starter I have tried Turing by hand when I had the starter off but it was hard and couldn’t get a good angle on the teeth here is what I just noticed today that has me worried the coolant is empty and I know I filled it before it ran last time thinking the coolant might be in the fuel. Do I need to take the injectors out or just the exhaust manifold when I turn the engine by hand to see if it’s hydro locked thanks for the help A very frustrated Zach

  29. #29edgephoto2020-06-24 20:52

    Your engine is locked up. It is not a starter problem. If you are "missing" coolant remove the injectors and try turning it by hand. If there is coolant in the cylinders it will come out of the injector holes. I would not suggest cranking it over as you could bend a connecting rod if the cylinders or a cylinder have coolant in it. This is if you haven't already bent one or more. Good luck.

  30. #30thepumpguysc2020-06-25 11:45

    Yes, u take the injectors out..