Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fixing 96 555D

Setteduke · 2020-04-13 19:30

Got this machine from auction last year from a muni, so its got a good service record. Jobs on the list: trenching for power, install cistern, remove stumps, demo an old shack and dig a pond. Been going over what needs to be fixed/repaired/replaced. Found a few areas of concern any input on priority in your option would be appreciated. Pics attached. First broken piece on loader,loose wire and can’t figure out where she goes, rusted battery compartment. Still working on the seat and getting it to spin!

Replies8
  1. #1tractormech2020-04-13 19:38

    The broken part is for seeing when the bucket is level-it can be fixed without much trouble. A fab shop can break you up a new battery box-just cut it out and weld the new one in. The broken wire may be part of an auto level. Really nice looking machine-I'm sure you will get good service out of it. Overall I think you did good!

  2. #2Delmer2020-04-13 19:44

    That battery box isn't that bad. Chip the rust out and oil it and it will outlast you. Or, maybe, chip the rust out and see if there's anything left, then decide what to do with it...

  3. #3Welder Dave2020-04-13 19:55

    Rust converter would be a good idea for the battery box if it isn't too far gone.

  4. #4Setteduke2020-04-14 10:18

    What is that? I will admit my ignorance, and I want to learn. Thanks. Pictures of a few more areas of concern for me?

  5. #5Welder Dave2020-04-14 12:27

    This is just one of many brands. It also comes in aerosol cans. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Corroseal-Rust-Converter-Primer-82320/202960538

  6. #6mitch5042020-04-14 22:08

    Slight correction, the broken part is actually your anti-rollback linkage. It rolls your bucket forward as you raise the loader arms. If you don't fix it, you will put material on your hood if you don't pay attention. I took them off of my loaders, so that you can throw material to the back of the bucket when cleaning up a pile.

  7. #7Setteduke2020-04-15 20:33

    Makes total sense. I have a lot of crusher that I been cleaning out. See attached picture. Any idea where I can purchase the cable or attachment that is needed? Thanks

  8. #8mitch5042020-04-15 21:23

    https://www.messicks.com/nhc/61821