Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Another big tractor purchase..OMG.

TimT ยท 2017-10-07 20:30

Hi Guys, I bought this 1961?? D8H, The tag on the engine block says 36A-3239 It is a direct drive machine, electric start. We pull started it with a loader, I ran the crawler... It starts easily, seems to run very well. It moves, steers, main clutch works well,reverser is working good, brakes are stiff, but work well. Oil and fuel pressure is good. No visible leaks from the engine after a couple hours of moving it around and idling. It has the large old turbocharger. The engine oil was black, not milky. The dipstick under the seat was up, but it is milky/gray but not thin. The right track was loose, but it does tighten up with grease. All the rollers turn, top and bottom. To me the undercarriage looks very nice. The starter clunks, but with the batteries he had in it, it was only showing about 18 volts at the starter. I think its a 24 volt starter. I am hoping that some good batteries will make her turn. He is including a set of filters and two new bottom rollers he has in his parts trailer. All filters look to be canister elements. . Oh, the machine was sitting in a contractors yard for a number of years at least. Its a large Pipeline contractor, the machine was used as a winch tractor in PA, and West Virgina in the mountains.However it has the mounts for a dozer. The man says the winch works, but I did not try it myself. He just got it delivered yesterday and had promised me first chance on it. 4. What do you think of this tractor? looking at the photos

Replies10
  1. #1TimT2017-10-07 20:33

    Oh, What oil can I use in the direct drive transmission. Thanks, Tim.

  2. #2d9gdon2017-10-07 21:26

    You're obviously not married LOL.

  3. #3Welder Dave2017-10-07 21:32

    That sure looks clean for 55+ year old Cat!

  4. #4epirbalex2017-10-08 00:26

    Nice and tidy alright , won't have done much work without a blade either . May pay to check to see if theres water in the winch , D7D winch's take on water and d's built much the same . If you have some spare time check the input shaft bearings as they are always turning . Not sure if there's an auto brake hub made for the D8D winch , pretty handy thing to have if there is one in this .

  5. #5DPete2017-10-09 12:45

    Trans takes drive train 30wt, we used 30wt engine oil for years until drive train oil came out, same with the master clutch. Trans filter is under the deck on the RH side. Yes it is 24V. There is a multitude of grease fittings under the brake pedals that might help to free them up, also grease fittings under the plate on top of the dash for the steering clutches.

  6. #6DMiller2017-10-09 17:13

    Had I buy something like that and come home I would no longer be married!!

  7. #7Welder Dave2017-10-10 00:15

    No, but you'd still be in love!

  8. #8ATCme2017-10-10 15:07

    Wait why do they take on water? My Hyster was full of yellow mustard and 10 gallons of water when i got it. I cleaned and filled it with new oil and replaced the top gaskets but if its getting in another way i would love to know. Mine is a W6K on Komatsu.

  9. #9epirbalex2017-10-10 15:19

    I don't know , I thought when I first discovered it taking on water that I should line up a replacement , told the fella what the issue was and he said they all leak referring to the "D" series and drain it . I have found it better to drain it before starting the dozer as the water comes out clean if you just open the plug enough to let it run , oil being thicker and floating sits comfy on the water nice and clean and not mixed if its done before startup .

  10. #10John C.2017-10-10 21:24

    They are like a half filled fuel tank for condensation plus there are places for water to sit on top of the unit and seep through things. I've been caught more than once with water in a transmission and forgetting that the winch was where the water was coming in from.