Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Another D3 question

chasman ยท 2008-11-03 20:06

I'm in the middle of replacing the dry steering clutches, release bearings and brake bands on a mid 70's D3 and am curious about something. It appears to have several Mitsubishi and Made in Japan parts on it, on the track components, on the steering clutch assemblies and a few other areas. I know a lot of the later machines were sourced and maybe even built overseas but didn't think the 79U series were Japanese or were they?

Replies15
  1. #1LonestarCobra2008-11-03 20:34

    Some parts on those machines were outsourced to Mitsubishi. As far as the u/c components, there are alot of aftermarket parts out there from Japan and Italy.

  2. #266ken2008-11-04 07:13

    All D3's were built in Japan.

  3. #3chasman2008-11-04 08:30

    Well so much for feeling like I had a classic piece of American steel. It is a good machine I suppose just figured it was made here like my old D5 which has also been a good machine. I am fixing to find out if the parts are still readily available from Cat (or aftermarket) or am I gonna be in for an unpleasant surpise? Just how far back do you need to go to get a US manufactured D3? I remember when I was a kid there was a contractor who dug stock tanks under the Soil Conservation program and he had a very early D3, probably a 50's or early 60's model. Wonder if it was Japanese as well.

  4. #466ken2008-11-04 08:49

    The first D3 was introduced in 1973 and came from Japan. Before that time there was a D2 and then jumped to the D4.

  5. #5chasman2008-11-04 08:55

    Now that makes sense, I have been looking for D3 steer clutch parts in the aftermarket and they do seem to skip from D2 to D4 for some reason.

  6. #6Greg2008-11-06 18:35

    Parts for all D3's seem to be readily available from either Cat or the aftermarket. I am on the 3rd set of Berco rail on mine (about 3,500 hours a set) and she is still going strong. All other parts have been genuine Cat.Did engine once, been in the clutches and brakes, cutting edges, and that is about all. Terrific little machine. Makes money here like a printing press. Oh, when did Cat quit the D2's? Mid 1950's?

  7. #7sherr202008-11-07 09:52

    Fuel Consumption of D3? Sorry to hijack the bottom of this thread I cannot start new threads yet as I am new here. I have rented a 2005 Cat D3, what can I expect its average GPH fuel consumption to be? I will be clearing brush and small cedar here in Texas. I typically run my RPM's as low as possible on my own tractors and will do the same to keep the hour meter from running my charges higher. Thanks.

  8. #8Greg2008-11-07 10:29

    I run throttle where it needs to be cause I refuse to lug engine. The hour meter is not going to run slower because you have the engine running slower. My D3 uses about 3.0 gallons per hour.

  9. #9chasman2008-11-07 11:39

    hey sheer20 if you get your place cleaned up and are looking for more cedars (6,000 acres) I'm just west of you close to Lampasas, I have a truck and can come pick you up if you want

  10. #10sherr202008-11-07 14:51

    So the D3 hour meter runs the same speed no matter the RPM's? Thanks for the replies.

  11. #11Tex34062008-11-08 02:43

    An electric hour meter runs the same correct speed all the time. These normally have a small "ticker" that rotates in the centre of the meter. An hour meter driven off the engine or fuel pump will run slower when the engine is running slower. Some are mounted direct on the fuel pump, some are in the cabin driven by a cable.

  12. #12OCR2008-11-08 03:11

    Ceder is my middle name... OCR I'd be in for that... I like Texas... especially the 6,000 acres of cedar you have. OCR....

  13. #13Greg2008-11-08 11:57

    Every D3 I have seem has an electric hour meter.

  14. #14chasman2008-11-08 13:14

    Well then what are you waiting for? If you need a machine to run I've got an older D5 and might have the D3 running in another month or so. The cedar is gonna start pollinating in another month or so so don't dilly dally around. I'll let you bag a few deer and can put you up in the mexicans house and pay you $50 a day plus room and board. I guess I sorta scared Sherr 20 off you reckon

  15. #15OCR2008-11-11 04:54

    Cook might make a difference: That deal is hard to refuse... :cool2 But, some times, you just have to work a little... harder... :lmao OCR....