I received my parts/service manuals and have changed my fluids and filters in the machine. I have a question about the drain plug behind the rectangular plate held on by bolts BEHIND the engine oil drain, The plug is on the bottom of the bell housing ( or what ever that housing is called) and when I removed it I got some oil from it. Up on the top right side of the same housing behind the hydraulic pump there is a large plug that looks the same as the final drive filler plugs...does that compartment hold oil? and if so how much....My manual doesn't address that housing drain plug OR the plug up on the top? and there is no way to check the oil level if it DOES require oil. Thanks
Is it the drain for the hydraulic tank? Given in those old dozers the hydraulic system was an accessory, it may not be in the operators and service manual for the machine. The plug you did take out with a bit of oil is the torque converter, and it is normal for only a tiny bit of oil to come out of there.
Thanks for the reply, The plug up top is on the bell housing and is on the same side as the starter, just behind the starter. Not the the hydraulic pump, that is on the left side which is the hydraulic pump side. The torque diverter bolts up to the housing the plug is on. How does the torque diverter get is oil? So if I drained oil from the torque diverter how does it get that oil replaced? Thanks for any help with this.
It would be an inspection port or something. Torque converter gets it oil from the transmission pump. There are all sorts of valves and hoses there to take oil here, there and everywhere it is needed.
Ok thank you, That's what I was looking to hear.
While you're under there pull the screen out and clean it. Drain the filter housing and the oil cooler. Bob
Ive changed the transmission filter, and pulled the magnetic screen and cleaned it, I didn't see any other place underneath to drain other than the torque diverter and the bevel gear housing and the two plugs on the steering clutch housings. The only other plug that is accessible from underneath was the engine oil and I also drained that. Did I miss something? I don't have any of the belly pans removed, everything I drained I drained through the access holes in the pans.