Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Another D6C Transmission question

Mcrafty1 ยท 2022-04-12 16:45

Where is the magnetic strainer located on my D6C serial# 76A5579, I thought I had it figured out when I looked and found a little rectangular door under my right foot just behind the decelerator, I flipped it open and there was a smaller rectangular cover with 4 studs with nuts holding it on, I removed the small cover and the top of the transmission (I believe) was exposed, it was a flat oblong metal area with two rounded headed hex heads which looked to me like an adjustment for something, in any event had I removed thos two bolts what they were in would never have came up through the hole, it was bigger than the oblong section the cover was bolted to. Sorry for the long explanation but I wanted to be sure you understood what I was seeing and that it was not anything that resembled a strainer, So If anyone can point me to the area that the strainer is located I would much appreciate it. Thanks for any and all help with my question. I bet you realize by now that there was nothing in the way of an owners manual/tech manual/ parts manual that was with the machine. I'm pretty much in the dark with this machine for now. Thanks again.

Replies14
  1. #1Bluox2022-04-12 17:34

    There are at least 6 drain plugs to drain the transmission oil on that machine. Do yourself a favor and get the correct service manual for that machine. Bob

  2. #2Nige2022-04-12 17:36

    For manuals try https://catpublications.com/ Put 76A in the box and click Search. I can see a couple of possibilities. The Parts Manual below is specifically for machines up to 76A6061.

  3. #3Mcrafty12022-04-12 17:49

    Thank you, I'll get a service manual.

  4. #4Mcrafty12022-04-12 17:51

    Wow, I will thanks for the reply

  5. #5Nige2022-04-12 20:24

    Try lifting the whole floor plate and take a photo of what you see.

  6. #6Bluox2022-04-12 21:13

    You most likely took the cover off the test ports for the speed& directional clutch ,you took out pipe plugs. Bob

  7. #7Mcrafty12022-04-13 05:05

    I didn't remove the anything, I knew by looking at it that it wasn't the strainer. Thanks, I will do that today....I ordered the manuals you pointed me to last night so I should have them in a few days.

  8. #8Dave Neubert2022-04-13 19:14

    strainer should be under the left floor board pull up the whole floor board and there should be a about a 4 inch square tube with 4 bolts sticking out from the top.

  9. #9Mcrafty12022-04-16 07:15

    I have a question about the floorboard on the D6C 76A5579 I just purchased, I am looking to remove and clean/replace the magnetic strainer under the floor board, but the back part of my floor board (which seems to be hiding the strainer) has the blade tilt controls bolted to it on the left and one of the two bolts that hold the decelerator pedal bolted to it on the right, do I need to unbolt these two items and remove them to get the floor board up out of the way? or is it possible to tip the floorboard up from the rear and get to the strainer with those to items still attached and linkage connected? I haven't received my service manuals yet and the weather hasn't worked in my favor to do much to the tractor but am hoping to be able to do this soon. thanks.

  10. #10Dave Neubert2022-04-17 07:43

    That would be for the blade tilt take the linkage off and remove the pedal I think it bolts through to a crossmember

  11. #11Mcrafty12022-04-18 05:12

    Ok thanks, I was hoping not to have to deal with removing 54 year old bolts that have seen a lot of weather...but it ain't the end of the world, just better left untouched if not needed. I'll remove them and get the strainer out and cleaned up .

  12. #12Nige2022-04-18 08:06

    Well you need to get that hardware freed up, because you are likely to be in there on a moderately regular basis even if it's only checking stuff. There are probably a load of linkages such as for transmission control & brakes/steering clutches under there that will be in dire need of lubrication if the hardware is that rusted up. The screen & magnets should be cleaned every time the oil is changed.

  13. #13Mcrafty12022-04-18 17:07

    Thanks Nige, I'll get everything broke free and made possible to service frequently I like to keep things lubed up and working smooth. I'm still waiting on my manuals and will tackle the machine when I have them in hand.

  14. #14Mcrafty12022-04-20 08:19

    Question for you Nige, or anyone else that reads this and knows....I haven't received my manuals yet but have been gathering up needed supplies and tools for the trans drain and fill. My question is this..I am draining the Bevel gear housing and trans mission/ steering clutch housings and find plugs on the steering clutch housings, when I drain all these compartments does the filler spout under the seat fill all four? or do I need to fill the steering clutch housings separately? Thanks for all the help I'm getting with these issues.