I have tried everything. Replaced filters, changed fuel pressure sensor, today Replaced the fuel regulating valve, blew all fuel lines out. No performance issues but the light will flash at high rpms and shut off at idle. Anyone ever had this issue or know anything else to try?
Is your setup the combined filter and water separator.? Not that it should make any difference, but what brand of fuel filter are you using.?
Yes water separator in the back and fuel filter up by the pump at motor. Using napa filters
Can you post some photos.? Also have you removed the filter head(s) and cleaned out all the internal passages inside.?
I have not removed the filter heads should I try that? And yes I will get some pictures in the morning
Let's see the pcis first. Do you have an electrical schematic.? I'm just thinking about checking the wiring from the fuel filter restriction sender to the monitor panel. To get the correct one out of the 5 available options would require the machine S/N.
I have a similar issue on this D9. It has no performance issues whatsoever.It gets Cat filters every 250 hours etc,allthough it can take me 3 months to clock those hours up. To be fair,I’ve been busy since Christmas and it did run on to about 350 hours since it’s last filters. I changed everything again and it’s made no difference. The book seems to suggest that no harm will come to it and to check all fuel lines for blockages etc.I’ve also cleaned the fuel cap breather.All seems well in there with no unusual amount of pressure build up,or heat in the tank. I’ve asked a laptop chap to take a look when he gets time,but……..it’s very hard to get people unless your actually broke down at the moment. I’ll watch your thread on your D5 with interest sir. I should point out that mine is only a tier 3 9T,so will be similar in tech as your D5
Here's the pocs
Sorry that one wad little blurry of separator hers another
I thought that maybe you had the water separator/primary fuel filter setup with the electric priming pump, the head of which is a known problem area. But you don't, you have the manual priming pump and that filter head is much simpler. Napa filters shouldn't make any difference but you could try putting some OEM ones on it as a check. Question: When the low fuel pressure light flashes does the SERV CODE icon in the window of the monitor panel light up, even if it's only briefly.?
No service code pops up. Even before I replaced the sensor I tried just unplugging it and instantly pops up service code
Sorry, forgot to ask. Have you drained the tank of water & sediment recently.? Also have you tried removing and disassembling the fuel shutoff valve (if there is one) that is located right in the bottom of the tank, and also blown the fuel suction line from the primary filter back to that valve with compressed air.?
I haven't drained tank or disassembled shutoff valve. I have blown compressed air thru all the lines
IIRC the design of the shutoff valve causes a restriction that only tends to block it when the fuel is flowing towards the engine, not when blowing backwards to the tank. I've seen it give people conniptions trying to figure out *** was wrong in the past because when blowing backwards to the tank everything appeared free & clear. Small twigs or a piece of gravel are favourites........ TBH I would also try draining the tank of water & sediment. It's supposed to be done at least once a week or after each time the tank is filled with fresh fuel. While you're at it try disassembling the fuel tank cap breather and give it a good clean out.
Ok ill give the shutoff a try today almost half a tank in now might be fun lol
Try draining the water, sediment, etc, first. Then service/clean the fuel tank cap breather. See if it makes any difference. Maybe leave the shutoff valve until the tank has less fuel in it.? A 2-man job. One, like the little Dutch Boy, to hold a finger in the dyke. The other to disassemble the valve and check/clean it. If you have any way of sucking a vaccum in the tank via the cap that would help prevent fuel falling out of the hole left in the bottom when you remove the valve.
Little update today. When I fired dozer up it had what I would describe not really as a knock but more of a clack to it at first and alot more black smoke then usual at startup. At idle it was kinda rough almost as if it was starving for fuel. Would this help narrow anything down?