Anyone with expierience of these
'Travelling "Expletive". Hi, Stock. Ye olde Aveling Barford 6x6x6 grader, sometimes called 'Travelling "Expletive", the "expletive" meaning 'of dubious parentage'. Ackshully, they weren't a real bad machine. That 6-wheel drive was pretty hard to stop and the 6-wheel steering made them fairly manoeverable as well. While the controls were not the most user-friendly on the market, they were also not the worst. The machines themselves were pretty robust and could handle a good load on the blade. AND, they were all hydraulic at a time when Cat was sticking very firmly to its dog-clutch gear controls. All the machines that I saw had either Leyland or GM diesels and the two that I operated had plenty of grunt. Those two also had torque converters in the drive train before a foot-operated clutch and manual transmission. One of these was a 20-ton machine with a GM 6V71 at 250 hp. This particular jigger had thumb-operated micro switches on the blade lift control levers to operate the steering without having to take a hand off the lift control levers - very handy around pegs and other obstacles. If you look closely, you can see the drive shafts for the front axle laying on top of the main frame and you can also see one drive shaft bearing mount under the main frame. The transfer gear drop box for the front wheel drive can be seen under the cab surrounded by an angle iron protective frame. This machine also has traction weights front and rear, something that I haven't seen a lot of. I don't know if they were fitted standard and they had been removed from most of the machines that I saw or if they were an optional extra. Austin-Western and Clark were two other manufacturers who made 6x6x6 graders that looked a whole lot like these A-B machines. A-B also made 4x4x4 graders which were quite popular in their day. BTW, I can't remember ever seeing one of these jiggers with a steering wheel. All the ones that I saw had a T-handle that operated hydraulic rams to steer the front wheels and what would be the lean wheel control in a Cat grader was the rear wheel steering control. The rear tandems on the 6x6x6's steered by turning on a turntable arrangement. Thanks for sharing.
info Deas, Thanks for the great description of this machine. You are truly a living library. I'm always on the lookout for an unusual grader to get pictures of just so I can hear the details of it's history on this website. I really appreciate everyone's contributions.
Dea right on da money There are still some of these working here so as soon as pic's come available I'll post them ps its for sale ,has a recon engine in it but the clutch is worked out and the front drive bearing is snookered stock
Hi there... I see that this is a simular grader like that I have. I just bought an Aveling Barford Super MG 500. It's an 6x6x6 witj an frontblade and mouldblade. It's an 1970modell, and it's condition is pretty good. It's powered by an Leyland AU600/46 engine, it's 597cu.ins / 9784cc. it's a staight 6sylinder, and it's about 160horse in it. And the transmission is manually. I hope you can understand what I'm writing, my english is kinda rusty..
No problem with the english hell of a lot better than my norse, A hearty welcome to the forum. Stock
Thats good to hear Well, yesterday me and my pal just bought another AB Grader... thats an SG350 6x6x6.. But it's condition is very bad... We mainly bought it for the engine, and the hydraulics and the mouldboard. But the cabin is almost gone by rust. It powered by an Scania 80 super Turbo engine, and that one is puting out about 250horse. I have tried to put out som pics in here, but it seems that I'm not allowed?? Does anybody now why I cant??
Take a look at this thread MG:
OK. So if I understand correctly will I be allowed to post pics and start a thread in a while after I have posted more than 3 reply's on others thread I just have to wait a bit then thanks Steve
I have to try to put in pics... Testing... This is my AB SG350, my latest grader...
And this is the AB SG500 we bought first.. and this is an very good object We took the pic when we was taking it with us back home.. Here its standing on our lowbed trailer...
I hope you enjoy the pics
Welcome to the Forum Mg super 500.:drinkup:drinkup I guess you got a MG in your garrage too?(Pics? ) There is a lot of old grader guys here on the forum, some has been operating graders from when your AB was designed... Don't be afraid to post pics or ask questions, we will do our best to give you help and advice! Hope you enjoy your stay here with us! I made a thread some time ago with some pics of a newer AB whom i found in Drammen. Might bee some info/details for you there.... Fårrå nålles, as we say.(take care)
Welcome and thanks for sharing. Hi, MG Super 500. Welcome to the forum. Good photos. Thanks for sharing. Your English doesn't appear to be as rusty as that SG350. It's a pity that the scarifier is missing from the SG500. Otherwise. it appears from the photo to be almost complete and fairly well cared for, apart from the bent step and the corner missing from the dozer cutting edge. I do not know if the scarifier from the SG350 will fit on the SG500. Happy restoring and thanks again.
Thanks guys Yes, the SG350 is very rusty... but it all funktions well... but its mainly bought for spearparts... And the SG500 was kind'a restored back in the late 90's, it was sandblestered (I dont know if it's called that) and repainted yellow. The shape is as I said quite good, but the electric system is VERY bad... And on these macines the electricsystem is backwords... it's having positive grounding, and te negative wiering. But we got to put in a completly new wiering system, and whith the Scania engine the dynamo will put the power the "right" way The SG500 came to this erea back in 1970, it was delivered in the christmas 1969. We got all the books and manuals who came with this, and its kinda good reading for an "fan" of graders I will post more pics as the process is running allong
Are the Aveling Barford graders the overseas model names for Austin Western? the other way around? with different power plants. Sure looks like I have seen one like that before.
I've been searcing a little on the internet on these graders... And to me it looks pretty the same... with a little differences and so... And I've heard that you could get these graders with different engines.. Leyland, Detroit and Scania.. but I think I spotted one with an Perkins engine too on the net.. I'n my SG500 its a Leyland engine, and it was a similar engine in the SG350 before they had put in a Scania engine there... It fitted right on.. same braketts and bolts
I think that Aveling-Barford and Aveling Austin motograders were licensed from Austin-Western , buth i have also an picture from an German Henschel motorgrader and that look the same as the AB and there is also an Russian motorgrader thats look also the same
Aveling Barford graders I wil post here a pic of a Henschel grader that looks similar to a A B grader .
I see that the frame is allmost the same...
seen one seen them all. Here it is today and here it is when I first got it. I like the way yours looks. wish I could have started with mine in that good of condition but then again I would not have learned as much as I have about it.
Manuals... That looks very nice Dwan And here are some pics of my manuals that I got with the SG500 grader. And on ALL manual's it's standing AUSTIN-WESTERN.....
I have the red one and 2 others. Interesting an instruction manual on how to run a grader.
Yeah... it's interesting that they made a manual about how to run it... All books are in english, and contains allso a illustration part in the back of both black an the grey book It's not so often company's and owners take care of these books.
Aveling Barford I wil a post a Pic of a Aveling Austin and the Russian copy of a Austin Western .
Super Roel. They look pretty the same all of those avelin,austin, western graders.. Do you have any knowledge of operation some of these graders??
Yes i have workth with them , but i found them not the easyist machine to work with , you most standing up and the were very noisy , but very strong machines .
When I rebuilt my super 300 I installed a seat out of an old SUV Mike found in a junk yard. It sets a little higher then the vinyl covered stock wooden box and can be slid further forward. I find sitting is eraser then when I first brought it home. I have forced myself to set when running the machine and now find it uncomfortable to stand. I think the seat location made the biggest differance.
I did notice when I drove grader up on the lowbed, that it's not very good sight out thru the window.. But I think we will put in a different seat in the cabin.. I have a few different in my garage. So time will show what I'm gonna do
I'd bet my lunch for a week those A-B graders are either rebadged Austin-Westerns or Aveling-Barford licensed the designs from A-W (ala bucyrus-erie and ruston-bucyrus) somehow when I posted this I had not seen page two at all;duh ointhead :beatsme :Banghead
by the way, I hope to take my AW super 366 on it's first job tomorrow after owning it only 34 months
Hi there, I'm Proud to say that i own one of these giants (MG MGH 1726) who still works like new on the road. I'm using this for the road construction works and the levels and super elevations can be done easily with this. unfortunately i cannot find the oil seals for hydraulic rams. some of the rams are leaking and low pressure at the moment. The attached photos were taken few months ago. hope you all like this.
Welcome to the forum. That's a nice looking machine you have there!
Welcome there, surely you can get some spurious one. Any good hydraulic shop should be able to help.
God this takes me back to a time too many years ago to count, when as snotty-nosed teenager I rolled up for my first day as an apprentice at Invicta Works, Houghton Road, Grantham - home of Aveling Barford ......... at that time a proud part of the long-defunct British Leyland empire. ..... and we used to call them Ambling B**stards ........
Its not locally available.i tried a lot to find the leather seals in the rams...
Aveling's history came from a long way back. Not sure of the year of manufacture of this showman's engine but the Aveling prancing horse logo (in proper brass so it polishes up) is front and centre..... http://www.traction-engines.net/picture/number913.asp
Hi guys. Just wondering if anyone know anything about a grader named Aveling Barford SG 433 ? All I know is that it is from 68 and all wheel drive (6WD) Looking for any info, specs, engine +++ Google did not help me much with this model
Spent some time on ABs back in NZ mainly 99Hs and also an MGH I think it was, was 4x4 with a GM 4-53Turbo , manual trans with a torque converter.
Excellent!!! you can scan the firsts pages for the instruction book? it's really important, because Aveling-Austin was made in Argentina under licence by Rycsa here... and didnt appears any brochure/catalog, manual... thanks!
Have you still got this grader?
I haven't read from this model too, seems to be a rar one. I have googled now and find a list to an Excel where dates from different graders listed: https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=10&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwifpaTRgYrWAhVEIMAKHaeyDfgQFghMMAk&url=http://gtionline.edu.au/moodle/file.php/1/Files_Files_Files/Civil_Kit/Construction_Skills_QLD_Training_Materials/Estimating%20Planning/Plant%20Specs/Make/Graders.xls&usg=AFQjCNGVO2WG5yBL-****-3j6eG5ezObiw
SG 433 will be an Aveling Barford Super 500 Grader. Not a rare model. SG433 is the serial number not the model type. The engine could either have been Leyland 680, or GM 6V71. Do you own this grader? Details of all Aveling Barford graders here https://www.facebook.com/pg/Aveling...6/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1903728793180436