Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

fine grading

Danial Doherty ยท 2008-10-09 18:45

so i guess im going to have to do some fine grading tomorrow for the first time ever, does anyone have any tips for me?? or any places where i could read up on how to fine grade??

Replies17
  1. #1Grader4me2008-10-09 19:52

    I'm still curious about the "where to start" post. You recieved a lot of feedback but didn't respond if the info helped you or not

  2. #2Danial Doherty2008-10-09 21:30

    ya ive havent had a whole bunch of time as of late. thanks for the reminder tho and also thanks for your imput.

  3. #3Vantage_TeS2008-10-09 23:00

    Before you start doing anything take a walk and look at where your cuts and fills are. An empty blade is useless no matter how much (or little) you're moving. Start with the bigger stuff and bulk it out into your fills. Usually a "straight" blade works best for this. Then once your have everything pretty close start right up against your stakes and get one pass on grade so they can check it for you. Once your have a reference as to whats on grade eyeballing the rest gets a heck of alot easier. Just keep working your way over and getting them to check every time you get a pass done. If its a long ways I like to go say 50 feet with one pass then back up and start working sideways up until the 50 feet again. That way you aren't getting overwhelmed. Once you have that 50 feet done you'll have a small pile of extra dirt to get started on your next area. Remember to check the stakes again before you start so you can decide if you have to straight blade it down a ways or if you want to roll stuff to your left or right. Again everything depends on the situation so these are only suggestions based on some things I've done. You'll have to read what I and anyone else who replies does and then choose what will work best for what you have to do. That's the wonderful thing about earth moving! It's like a giant puzzle, except everyone sees the pieces differently. There is no real right or wrong way to do it as long as it looks right at the end and it didn't take you forever.

  4. #4dieseldave2008-10-10 00:56

    Well said, and also informative :notworthy I just picked up a little grader and would like to learn to run it properly, this sort of info is very helpful.

  5. #5Northart2008-10-10 02:48

    Finish Grading ? Finish Grading ? How close ? .03 is acceptable for highway work. Or 3/8" roughly. Then some jobs are within +or - .10 and good. Good dozer hands can hold .10 tolerance. Think of it this way. It is just sliver cuts and fills ! Just like a dozer , except you are doing smaller amounts ! Just like putting dirt in a truck box, put it in the right places and you are done. Rough it in 1st and then proceed in stages to completion.

  6. #6Danial Doherty2008-10-24 19:43

    Well i finally got to do my first fine grading today... a copule of days later then expected lol..... lucky for me a guy who was also on site ran a grader for 10+ years and was willing to share his knowlege. its almost an art of sorts.... and i almost find it addictive... even tho i had alot of trouble starting off

  7. #7Grader4me2008-10-24 22:14

    All part of the learning process. If you can learn from your mistakes then you're on your way to becoming an operator. Also it's good to have an experienced grader operator around that's willing to share his experience/knowledge. Listen well, learn and have fun!

  8. #8Motor Grader2008-10-26 13:57

    Even though I build graders, my seat time is minimum. But your statement of it being sort of an art form may be understated. I just spent 30 minutes with an editor of a magazine last week trying to explain the art form of running any heavy equipment and especially a finish work piece such as a grader. I'd like to hear what the real operators have to say, but my daddy always said that you can feel what is going on beneath you. Its something that comes from the ground through the machine and right into the seat of your ass. And I'd have to say that when you make a beautiful finish pass with a grader the feeling ranks right up there with driving a golf ball 300 yards or knocking a baseball out of the park. Would youalso agree that you can teach anyone to run a piece of equipment but not just anyone will ever become a real operator. I told the editor that you are either born with it or your not.

  9. #9Danial Doherty2008-10-26 16:03

    I would like to read that article when it comes out, what magazine will it be in?? And when you say you feel it in your ass its for sure true! My dozer instructor told that same saying and i laughed at him. I was thining to myself after all this beating and banging around im lucky i can feel my arse at all!! but then after spending a year or so sitting in the seat i started to see what he ment!! and now that im running a grader its the same thing, i was talking to one of the older grader men and he said that he can pick his high/low areas with every pass he makes and sure enough i can start to feel it after only 380 hrs in the seat! I can see im going to really love this job!!!!! sorry for the lame rant/story lol

  10. #10JDMGrading2008-10-26 18:42

    Hey motor grader is your office at the ASC volvo dealership?? I'm curious because I was looking at the 80c they had out front.

  11. #11Motor Grader2008-10-27 13:50

    No, ASC is our dealer. I'm the manufacturer and our factory is in Charlotte, NC. So anytime you want a factory then your more than welcome to come by.

  12. #12Grader Dane2008-10-27 17:20

    Grade control systems First of all Hello to everyone on the forum, I just signed in! i have been reading a few posts for a while, and what strikes me is that you are always talking about eyeballing it !? Yes I know What it is But are there not any of you that have any kind of grade control system ? I purchased a O&K 106,5 in march and are now owner operator and big and small companies hire me to help them. I have worked whith pepole with 20+ years of experience and they told me to buy a grader with a good system. You still have to be abele to feel the ground, but it takes alot of the guessing out of the game.

  13. #13Deas Plant2008-10-29 07:26

    Grade systems Hi, Grader Dane. The question was asked as if there was no grade control system and was answered accordingly. Grade systems are great - - - - IF you happen to have one, especially a good one. How-wevver, even in this day and age, not everyone does have one and the old methods are still used in quite a lot of places, very effectively, I might add. Motor Grader, you might like to look back through a previous thread or two for some thoughts and ideas on the ART of grading. And you will find this quote: "The whole art of operating earthmoving machinery is in being able to set the blade or cutting edge to take the material from where you need to take it and put it where you need to put it, in the condition that it needs to be in, with the least possible effort in the shortest possible time." on this page, post number 40: Hope this helps. Do we get a copy of the 'ar-tickle' posted here for our 'informed and learned' critique?

  14. #14MKTEF2008-10-29 15:11

    Welcome to the forum Grader Dane.:drinkup Just ignore some of the comments by Deas, he has become a bit grumpy on his older years. He hasen't told us exact yet, but he is real old!(retaired long ago if he lived in Denmark) To your question: I would recommend a simple grader system from Microfyn in Denmark. Here is the Norwegian dealer: http://www.scanlaser.no/no/produkter/veghoevel.aspx They have systems that u can build out as your needs/demands grow. Their system start from a simple angle monitor on the blade and up to systems with GPS, laser reciever or ultrasound systems. I would recomend a system with a laser reciever coupled to a automatic sylinder controll. If you want to go real cheap; buy two masts, two Leica depthmasters, a three pod and a 2 way angle main laser. Then u can line it up and just watch the depthmasters as u grade. Theese systems take the guessing out of the game, and u learn the "feel" much quicker. Regarding Deas, he needs to get some teasing from time to time.

  15. #15Deas Plant2008-10-29 16:14

    Speak up, Please. Hi, MKTEF. I'm sorry. Could you please speak up a (fair) bit. These ancient ears ain't what they used to be. In fact, please take your pants off as your voice is rather muffled. (Wanna tease me, huh?)

  16. #16MKTEF2008-10-29 16:28

    Awake from your nap m8? Talked to one of our contracted grader operators today.(he shows up in green if we call for him) He drives a 160M 4wd on a daily basis.(brand new) Demands for most of his work is +/-2 mm. So he's got a brand new system installed in his grader. MOT demands GPS systems in all machines if u want to do work for them, even under contractors. They don't have any engineers going around putting out sticks any more. He also told me that they had gotten a boost on his 160... + 30Hp with a new engine programe, u know programming, as inside the computer?.... That was to give the underpowered M som more grunt...

  17. #17Deas Plant2008-10-30 09:01

    Typing in my sleep. Hi, MKTEF. Awake, M8? Nah. I'm typing this in my favourite position, horizontal and in my favourite condition, unconscious. Not having had the pleasure or otherwise of operating a 160M, I do not know how they go for power, so I'll take your word for it that they are under-powered. An extra 30 hp would make a noticeable difference. Do you have any idea what it does to the fuel consumtion? There are a steadily increasing number of graders DownUnder being either delivered with or fitted with GPS, laser or a combination of both. Ten years or so ago, about all you saw by way of grade control on graders was the sonic sensor systems which were quite effective in their own way but in no way comparable to a good GPS set-up. The only GPS-equipped machine that I have operated so far was a Cat D8N dozer fitted with a system that was several years old then. It did give a good idea of physical location on the ground but couldn't get much better than about +/- 40 mm of any given grade. I understand that later GPS systems have improved a lot on this performance. Gottago. Catchyalater.