Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Another genie s40

Moonlite ยท 2016-02-10 20:45

SER 559 The lift swing is constant full speed. The pendalam for the lift has play in it so I'm gonna replace the joystick. My problem is this thing lifts and swings at full speed even with the stick just cracked off center on swing and I don't get movement on the lift until about half way. But it's full speed. I tried to back off on the thrust and other screws but speed did not change. So I'm wondering if just replacing the joystick will solve my problem or do i need to replace the circuit boards for the lift and swing also.?

Replies10
  1. #1willie592016-02-10 21:05

    How many adjusting screws are on the lift and swing circuit cards, and what are they labeled? Threshold, Ramp, Hi, Lo?

  2. #2Moonlite2016-02-10 22:58

    Willie59 there are 4 total on each card and they are not labeled so I went by the diagram in the manual

  3. #3Moonlite2016-02-10 23:05

    C F G H are labeled not the others. Sorry for the mis information

  4. #4willie592016-02-10 23:33

    Interesting. I don't have that particular manual that shows the procedure in your post, that's curious that the preliminary ramp rate is to screw the trim pot in fully until it clicks, that puts it at full ramp. But hey, that's what they say to do, right? It's been a long time since I've messed with either Genie machines or OEM controllers, I'm more familiar with PQ controllers used on JLG machines. However, with most controllers, Threshold (I) on your controller, sets the point of controller movement at which it engages a function. You mentioned the swing goes full tilt as soon as you crack the lever "off center", yet the lift requires you move the lever "half way", that's a difference in "threshold" between those two functions, the point at which a function engages. The swing is correct, it should move when you move the lever off center, but the threshold for lift is way off. As for your problem, I can't say if you have faulty circuit boards just yet. What we do know is those trim pots are 15 turn, we come to that conclusion by the instructions you posted. So, go ahead and screw the Ramp CW 15 turns, or until you hear it click, and you have to be in a quiet environment to hear those clicks, this puts the ramp in max. Screw all other trim pots 15 turns CCW, or until you hear them click. At this point, you should be able to start the engine and work that stick and get no movement of either swing or lift. If you do get movement, you have a faulty circuit card because the trim pots are not doing their job. I've got to hit the rack shortly, try this out and I'll get with you tomorrow evening.

  5. #5Moonlite2016-02-14 14:41

    Thanks for the help willie59. I went back to this machine and can't get anything I do to make a difference.

  6. #6willie592016-02-15 19:53

    I haven't used their services for some time, don't get to work on these machines all that often nowdays, but give Hindley Electronics a call and ask them if they still test controllers if you ship them your controller to see if it's faulty or operational. I used to ship controllers to them frequently back when I worked on these type of machines to have them checked. If they were faulty they can fix it up for you. > 888-352-4000

  7. #7Moonlite2016-03-04 19:24

    Thanks for the help willie59. I put a new joystick and cards in it. Now works great. Also replaced the drive controller because it had play in it.

  8. #8willie592016-03-04 19:36

    Makes a big difference don't it. :drinkup

  9. #9Moonlite2016-03-04 21:43

    I have dealt with Hindley for a while now they take pretty good care of me. But I didn't send this stuff off to them. 226 for stick and cards. Felt that wasn't worth waiting to get cards checked.

  10. #10willie592016-03-04 22:27

    Agreed, not bad, I've seen some controllers in the 4 and 500 dollar range, 226 ain't bad to get a proper working machine.