Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Another Grader Question

drag1line ยท 2009-03-29 01:50

I've worked around heavy equipment for most of my life but have only been around a few graders. I see some graders have torque converters, most are direct drive, Komatsu offers both by selection. What is best and why? Also, I see some graders have lock up axles and some with limited slip. What is better and why? Grader Novice...Never too old to learn Real machines have booms!! ha ha

Replies5
  1. #1WILDCAT2009-03-29 06:34

    G'day Mate, I have operated a large Fiat Allis grader the size of a 140G, that grader had a torque converter. I found it would constantly alter the ground speed when working around curb and channel, making in-fill difficult. The best way to run a grader doing in-fill is to have a direct drive powershift. Also in regards to your other question on differentials, when in-filling around a court bowl, when laying the final layer of rock before the ashfelt goes down, you need full control of the machine. With a limited slip diff or an automatic locking differential, it will lock up when sensing load, or make both wheels drive at the same time, wanting the grader to push in a straight line. Therefore a grader that has a manual locking diff lock is the only effective way of being in full control of the machine. Regards, WILDCAT

  2. #2drag1line2009-03-29 10:10

    Howdy from Texas Wildcat. (See G'Day in Dictionary) You da man! Thank you alot. Catch you later!

  3. #3WILDCAT2009-03-30 06:48

    Good Day to you drag1line, I hope that this information from my experience has been of some help to you. As we say in AUSTRALIA once you go CAT you can grade that I've got to mosey on along now WILDCAT

  4. #4drag1line2009-03-30 10:08

    Wildcat. You got ya Jee Haw at pretty good Texan....boya! I'ma fix'n to be beholden to ya. Got to mosey on along now, and learn sum Motor Grad'n. Shaw Nuff! Ya'll *** bak nowa...Yahar? Thanky Much! God I Love the world coming together!....Still say "Real Machines Have Booms"..but be around the bend a few times! So what do I know!

  5. #5WILDCAT2009-03-31 07:33

    drag1line, Houston we have a problem I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to say to me English dood, English, don't you know we don't speak Spanish! Just joking Hope you can accept a bit of Aussie humour Regards WILDCAT