My ls 140 makes a clicking sound in the fuse box behind the cab when you try to start it. It will always start just after a few tries. I changed the relay that was clicking and there is no change. How do you determine if it is the ignition or a starter problem. The machine has a brand new battery. Im electronically challenged, sorry.
General advice, I don't know your machine. The easiest way is to hook up a test lead to a test light or multimeter, and then hook it up to the small wire going to the solenoid. Turn the key to start, check for voltage and repeat until it starts. Most likely the solenoid contacts are burned out and you get voltage to the solenoid, but not to the starter. Then hook the lead to the solenoid terminal going to the starter to see whether the starter is the fault. Do you get a single click when you turn the key? there could be a couple of relays that should turn on and off when turning the key from run to start, you just don't hear them when the starter actually works.
Do you hear the click when the glow plugs should be illuminating? Or do you actually hear them engage, wait, then try to start and nothing but a click?
I let the timer count down, then there is a quiet click, then when i turn the key it is a single click coming from the rear fuse panel. I put my finger on the relay while someone else tried to start it and i could feel that is where the single click comes from. I changed that relay this morning an ive got the same thing. The machine always starts, i just have to go thru the same routine and im afraid whatever is wrong will finally go out completely.
Did you change both relays in the rear? I have this happen not to long ago to a C175. Did the one I though was the culprit and same reaction, then replaced the other. Everything has worked great since. Also inside the cab there is a fuse box above head correct?
Yes one in the cab an one out. I swear i looked that box over an only saw one, but I may have missed one. I will check and make sure in the morning. I hope it is something that simple, I appreciate all yalls help.
There are 2 relays in the rear. Replace both, and then inside the fuse box inside the cab there is a small 3 amp fuse I believe it is, replace it. If it still doesn't work I have seen another fellas machine that he would wiggle the fuse box overhead and it would work, he ended up replacing the fuse box I believe. Some place to start, I hope for your pockets sake that it is the rear relays and fuse combination like mine was.
One relay is the start relay, the other is the glow plug relay. Brian
Yep thats it for some reason I was having a brain fart yesterday.
Here is an update - after fiddeling with the fuse box and having no luck i switched my attention to the starter. Well i found a loose wire an all is well with my 140. I am still curious about the hydraulic oil. Thanks for all your replies.
What about the hydraulic fluid?
I am having trouble finding 10w30 diesel rated oil. The machine calls for 10w30 in everything. I put 15w40 in the engine as this seems to be the choice for diesel engines. I bought the machine back in october an just now have had the time to go thru it.
We had an older machine that called for 10w/30 in the hydraulics, we ended up, pumping out as much of the old fluid via a aux hook up to a hose into a 5 gallon bucket, refilled with new hydrostatic anti foam fluid. Repeated the process 2 or 3 times to get out as much as possible, then refilled has been just as good as new.