Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

ANOTHER NEWBIE SKID STEER PURCHASE THREAD

Terry Summers · 2018-01-07 14:57

Greetings!!! I did a search and read a bit but thought I would also ask for input from the members here. Considering purchase of a skid steer and I am out of the loop on good/bad years/brands of machines out there right now. I started in construction in 1976 and back then it was Bobcat with sticks and we ran the wheels off those things. I've ran most construction equipment over the years but got out of construction in 2001. I owned a Cat 226 (used for home/residential use) for several years but sold it about 5 years ago ..owned it for about 5 years and absolutely zero problems with it and loved the pilot controls. A 226 would probably be more of a machine that I need now and I probably won't get one with low hours in my price range anyway. No more than $20,000.00 and prefer closer to $15,000.00 Wheel only Prefer under 1000 hours and really would like under 500 Would love an enclosed cab with heater..not a must have though. Prefer pilot controls but not a must have Use will be my residence/acreage only..clearing small brush and moving small amounts of dirt at a time. The Gehl and Case consistently come up under 20k with low hours (under 250)...New Holland and John Deere seem to come up next but the hours start creeping up...might consider Terex also. Are there any known major issues with these units?

Replies46
  1. #1KSSS2018-01-07 16:02

    If you want a wheeled pilot machine as your first choice, your options are CAT and CASE. If you go CAT I would try and get a bigger machine to avoid some of the problem engines. Read Another Perkins Pukes thread, no way I would buy a smaller CAT. The CASE machines with pilots would be the machines listed as Series 3. Hard to find and bring a premium. If you can let go of pilots your options are really open. Listing what you need it to do, a radial machine would work fine as well as a vertical lift machine since you don't list loading trucks. What you don't mention is the hp and ROC you would like to have. I would look for a medium to large frame 70-80 hp with a ROC above 2000, and try for a radial machine. So CAT 246, CASE 430-440, 450 BC 220, 763 some vertical lift machines Deere 325, CASE 435, 445 CAT 252-262 BC 205, 250, 773 NH 170-180 if you can find a B series you can get pilots in NH. Machines in that price range really will depend on condition and support for the machine. Plan on keeping some money in repairs available. If you can spend closer to 20K than 15K you should be able to step up considerably in machine. I don't see you staying at 1000 hours for around 15K, you may be lucky to get those hours at 20K depending on machine.

  2. #2Terry Summers2018-01-07 19:26

    I appreciate the feedback KSSS I have no plans on unloading anything and will not even be purchasing forks...the days of major home projects are behind me after I built our current home on 30 acres about 5 years ago. The skid steer use will be mainly for landscaping projects around our home and moving snow if it ever does get very deep which is seldom. The 226 I owned would have more than enough power to do what I want and I believe it had around 52 hp so even under that hp would be plenty for me. I would rather have a smaller low hour machine that a mid size with more hours. The Gehl and Case have some smaller units with low hours.

  3. #3CM19952018-01-07 20:16

    For your budget and use - Bobcat 743 - you can't kill them. It doesn't have pilot controls, cab or any of the new features but it will run day in and day out with a little TLC. Run away from Terex and I'd be skeptical of Gehl. Case, Cat or Bobcat. A Case 1845 is another machine that's tough as nails.

  4. #4Terry Summers2018-01-08 08:15

    How about the Bobcat S 175? There seems to be several available in the 15-20k range that are newer machines with around 1000 hours.

  5. #5CM19952018-01-08 08:21

    Never owned one just ran a couple of rentals over the years.

  6. #6Terry Summers2018-01-08 08:26

    The Bobcat's I ran when I was in construction sure took a beating and just kept going all day long.

  7. #7Terry Summers2018-01-08 08:31

    Is there a certain brand that is easier/less expensive to work on than others? I'm talking major work and not routine maintenance. I would not attempt any major wrenching on the skid steer.

  8. #8KSSS2018-01-08 22:46

    As you can imagine, it is hard to wrench on skid steers, they are obviously compact and a lot going on in a small space. So you can expect the labor bills to be higher and with most OEM shops at around 100 an hour it will add up. I don't think the color matters. They are all spendy to work on. The older the machine the less complicated they are.

  9. #9Terry Summers2018-01-10 16:02

    I was born in 1953 and can still remember the days in my teens of pulling engines and transmissions with just a few tools and not worried at all about getting it back together...I do not really want or need a machine with all the bells and whistles and I appreciate your comment

  10. #10Terry Summers2018-01-13 08:47

    The cold temps are keeping me inside and I've been surfing most of the skid steer sales and comment forums. I've revised my budget a little to $20,000.00 delivered to my home..this might be close to $22,500.00 as the asking price and of course delivery can vary on whether I haul or have it delivered. I will gladly pay less but at $20,000.00 there seems to be quite a few machines that have under 1000 hours, enclosed/heated cab, and newer machines. Anyone running a 200 series New Holland or a 100 series Case skid steer? There seem to be quite a few available that meet my needs and criteria. This skid steer will probably never leave my home and mainly doing some landscaping on our acreage. DJI_0003 (800x600)

  11. #11KSSS2018-01-13 15:33

    By 100 series CASE you mean Alpha series? They have never had a 100 series, 400 series from about 2002-2010 but not 100.

  12. #12Terry Summers2018-01-13 19:11

    I am referring to the SR130, SR150, SR160, and SR175

  13. #13Terry Summers2018-01-15 17:06

    Is anyone running a Bobcat S510 or have any comments on that machine? I have saw several just a couple of years old, near 550 hours, and enclosed cab w/heat for around the $25,000.00 range. img510

  14. #14KSSS2018-01-15 21:43

    I have bought a heated but not AC cabs before. The are miserable to run in the Summer and hard to resale. Get full CAB, HEAT, AC if your going cab.

  15. #15KSSS2018-01-15 21:47

    As to the small CASE machines, I have day rented a SR175 several times. I liked the power of the machine, great visibility, but it had mechanical controls and since my other machines are EH spending a day in mech. controls was not something that I cared for. The specs are the similar to the 1845C so it is capable or its size.

  16. #16Terry Summers2018-01-16 07:50

    The SR175 looks like about the right size for my needs and there are several low hour machines available...bumped my budget up to $25,000.00

  17. #17Terry Summers2018-01-16 07:57

    I owned a Cat 226 with cab and heat only and ran it several summers..it does get warm but I got a heck of a deal on the Cat that I couldn't pass up..owned it for close to 5 years and sold it for same price as when I purchased it. AC would be nice but for the right deal I'll purchase without..this machine will probably never leave my home and will probably get more spring/fall use than other times.

  18. #18Terry Summers2018-01-20 07:36

    I stumbled on to a New Holland skid steer that has my interest. Found a one owner (not including sales lot now) 1996 New Holland L565 with 2,986 hours on it that looks to be in great shape and only about 30 miles from my house and on a New Holland sales lot. Was not planning on buying a skid steer with this many hours on it but this machine has been really cared for and serviced regularly and I'm probably going to take a look at it on Monday. This is a 1996 NEW HOLLAND L565 and does not come with aux. hydraulics and the sales guy told me that is probably the reason this skid steer hasn't sold yet. I don't see any need for running any aux attachments and this machine will probably never leave my home. This machine is a 42 hp Engine Model: N844....anyone have comments on this machine? btw...I can purchase this skid steer for a little under $9,000.00 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

  19. #193X82018-01-20 08:47

    I have one and really like it. Couple things you should check though...Look at the instrument panel and see what color the the strip going around the edge of the black panel is. If it's gold it's probably been replaced and good to go. If the strip is silver I guess the chances are it will go bad and need replacing. The other thing isn't as easy to check but the gear boxes under the seat/floor panel tend to leak the 90wt gear oil into the chain case and end up getting run dry. You can check the oil level constantly and add if/when needed or there is a modification that involves replacing a bolt in the chain case that holds the gearbox with one that has a hole in it. then moving the chain case oil level check plug a couple inches higher so the chain case oil feeds the gearbox. Sounds hard but it isn't too bad to do. You can buy the bolt with the hole already in it or drill a hole in the bolt that's already in there. I also bought a set of cheap OTT tracks and a tooth bucket, not sure I could get along without either. lol

  20. #20Terry Summers2018-01-20 08:59

    Thanks for the feedback and I really appreciate it. I've also read that the lift arms need to be checked for cracks or evidence of welding..wasn't really planning on something this old but I can really appreciate a piece of equipment that has been really cared for such as what this one appears to be in the photos. I had steel tracks on my Cat 226 and while they help in steep terrain the steel tracks eat the crap out of tires in my area of use. We have a lot of rocks here and they are not your rounded and smooth creek rocks but jagged, sharp rocks and when they get between the tracks and tire they really can cause some damage. If I was using the skid steer off of my property I probably would go with steel tracks though.

  21. #213X82018-01-20 11:58

    That one looks a lot better than mine

  22. #22jacobd2018-01-20 16:08

    Personally I wouldn't buy a skid steer without auxiliary hydraulics. No aux means no grapple, no auger, no landscape rake or rockhound, no 4 in 1 bucket, ect, ect. That being said if you're sure you can live without auxiliary it does look like a very clean machine. I would offer him 7500 just to see how mad he gets but bring the whole 9000 just in case.

  23. #23Terry Summers2018-01-21 06:17

    If I was going to use this skid steer for projects other than my own personal use strictly on my property I would not consider this machine purchase due to no aux hyd.

  24. #24Tags2018-01-21 09:47

    I understand thinking you don't want the auxiliary hydraulics, but what if you do? Or, if you're really not happy with it after you get it ,you, just like the dealer, will have a hard time sending it down the road. With the budget you speak of, if you can be patient you'll find a good machine with lots of goodies. It always seems when you're pressing to find one it isn't there, but the second you back off of looking something always seems to pop up. In the long run a machine with auxiliaries will be waaaaaayyyy more appealing to anyone looking for a used machine than without em'....

  25. #25Terry Summers2018-01-21 10:46

    Tags..I had a Cat 226 for about 5 years and used it on multiple residential projects and not one time did I ever need aux hydraulics...built our home 4 years ago and rented a Bobcat for much of the work and not one time did I need aux. hydraulics. It is not that I don't want aux it is that I don't see a need and for the right price and machine I am willing to live without them. I have been out of the loop on pricing skid steers for several year but do you believe I'll find as clean of another similar machine, under 3,000 hours, and out the door price of under $9,000.00? This New Holland dealer will deliver and is only about 30 minutes away.

  26. #2662oliver2018-01-21 11:38

    if you are that certain you don't need aux hydraulics then I say go for it.

  27. #27KSSS2018-01-21 16:25

    Sometimes as a contractor it is hard to put yourself in the place of a homeowner, but that said I don't see the value in this machine that you do. You were wanting pilots and you got mechanical hand/foot, you wanted initially something under 1000 hours and your just about 3K. I realize your spending 15K less than you budgeted, your getting a substantially less machine as well. It is a machine that will be very hard to sell again if you ever want out of it. I cant even imagine a machine without aux hyd, it removes one of the big advantage of a SSL. Obviously you know your situation, I hope this will work for you.

  28. #28Terry Summers2018-01-21 17:42

    KSSS...this machine is a lot different than what I initially wanted but I did say not a must have and prefer. Twenty years ago I got out of construction as a project super and would have laughed if someone would have tried to sell me this machine on a jobsite..wouldn't even considered it. I'm 64 years old now no longer in the field and if I do end up purchasing this machine I don't have a problem with running this machine for 5 years and selling it for about 1/2 of what I paid for it...pretty sure that if I spent 25k on a 1-2 year old machine I would lose more than $4,000.00. I'm going to check it out tomorrow and I'll report what I see and thanks for everyones feedback.

  29. #29BC873G2018-01-21 17:58

    I use my SS on my farm as well as side work. You mentioned brush clearing in your initial post. A grapple is the handiest attachment for that kind of work. I can't imagine doing it without one. Trying to push piles of brush with bucket just doesn't work that well. I am in the aux hydraulics camp as well. I really like hand controls as well. I also really like have an enclosed cab for the winter but also to keep the dust out.

  30. #30Terry Summers2018-01-21 18:13

    Oh, I want all those options on a skid steer but for the right machine and price I'll change my mind. If this machine was 300 miles away instead of 30 I probably wouldn't consider it. There really isn't much brush on my property to move..small trees that I can push over and easily pile up to burn. Most of the work will be landscaping around my house and keeping my driveway smooth.

  31. #31Tags2018-01-21 20:26

    Would you find as clean a machine under 3000 hrs for $9000.00? No, probably not, but you said you had a budget of $20,000-$25,000. I'm not trying to spend your money either. Also, pictures are different than the being there in person. If the machine looks good when you look at it and fits your needs, then you have no reason to hesitate. And I am absolutely speaking from a contractors point of view, but even as a homeowner I would want the auxiliaries because "what if?" I learned a long time ago it's easier to get it than not have it when it comes to options on equipment.

  32. #32Terry Summers2018-01-22 16:18

    I took a look at the machine this afternoon and real life is like the pictures and a very clean machine....foot controls are smooth with raise/lower and bucket roll at the same time very clean..sticks are not super touchy and track straight unless trying to turn...tires are like new. Made an offer and will see where it goes

  33. #33Jeepwalker2018-01-22 20:18

    If I was in your shoes, I'd drive some newer Cats and Gehls to compare. While it looks good, it's a pretty basic machine. Doesn't have the cab you wanted either. Gehl machines are nice in that they have lower profile arms for a lot better visibility. Easier to step into and out of (a lot safer as you get older!) ...there's a lot of reasons to look at one. Also they don't have the best resale which, around here at least, means you can get a great deal one one. I see a lot of contractors around here that use them too. I'd look at a few more machines.

  34. #34Terry Summers2018-01-23 10:25

    I owned an almost new Cat 226 with enclosed cab and really, really liked that machine...rented Bobcats skids and Gehl mini-excavator when building our home several years ago and good machines as well and I know I would be very happy with either of these brand machines also. I will also be EXTREMELY happy that I don't need to use a pick, shovel, and wheelbarrow any longer to finish landscaping on our house. Asking price was $9,350.00 and dealer accepted my offer of $8,350.00 delivered to my home about 30 miles from their yard. I do appreciate everyones feedback and I just came across a deal I couldn't pass up and this machine should do everything I need. https://www.machinerytrader.com/lis...pment/for-sale/23139273/1996-new-holland-l565

  35. #353X82018-01-23 11:06

    Use that 1K you saved for a tooth bucket if you plan to dig at all.

  36. #36Terry Summers2018-01-23 11:55

    Another bucket would be nice but I’m probably going with bolt on teeth....I had them on my Cat skid steer and never took them off..tooth bar is not used a lot around here for some reason.. mostly bolt on teeth or extra bucket

  37. #3762oliver2018-01-23 15:52

    Hey, I'd say you did alright if that machine is gonna do the trick for you. Nice shape and should last you a long time, and tons of money under budget!!!! You got so much money left over you could buy and old skidder or a backhoe and have even more fun!! Enjoy!!

  38. #383X82018-01-24 08:45

    That will work!

  39. #39Terry Summers2018-01-25 13:15

    I've decided, undecided, decided, undecided, and finally decided on getting a New Holland tooth bar from the dealer I am getting the skid steer from...it is ordered so I can't change my mind again

  40. #40Terry Summers2018-01-29 14:16

    I've only put a couple of hours on the machine so far but am really liking it. I'm cleaning up gravel from the parking area when we built about 4 years ago and moving dirt from one area and using it for around the house for landscaping/grass bed. The ground is a bit damp and digging is fairly easy with the smooth bucket but a toothbar/bucket is probably going to be necessary near summer. 1 2 3 4

  41. #41Georgia Iron2018-01-30 12:45

    The machine will pay for itself in no time. A few jobs for friends and you will be ready for another machine. It is a never ending cycle, they keep getting bigger for me. Stay safe and don't forget to be safe. They can hurt you in a blink of an eye.

  42. #42Terry Summers2018-01-31 06:57

    I'm just getting around to doing the final grading around our house and shop after building it about 4 years ago...robbing good black dirt from one area around my shop in the photo and putting it around the house and saving a bundle by doing it myself instead of buying black dirt and renting a skid steer. Paid $8,350.00 for my skid steer and it will be money well spent if I get my chores done with it and no major breakdowns. I sold my skid steer trailer last year and this skid steer should never leave our house and no paying jobs or doing work for friends with this machine...I helped friends out with my previous Cat 226 and not going there with this one. I would LOVE to have a larger/enclosed cab machine as I originally sought and I can't say never but it probably doesn't make sense (as my wife pointed out) to pay $20,000.00+ for a machine and only use it a couple of hours a week. Thanks for all the comments and hopefully you won't see me on here asking "How Do I" or "My Skid Steer Won't Start" questions Seems like a good group of people here and think I'll' hang around for awhile. DCIM\100MEDIA\DJI_0005.JPG

  43. #43tmc_312018-02-08 11:25

    I had an LX565 for several years. It was an excellent machine that I used in my sports lighting business. Personally, I don't think I would buy one without aux hydraulics. I wonder if that is something that could be added?

  44. #44tmc_312018-02-08 11:29

    The machine I have now is a NH L190 with a cab, Heat and AC. Down here in Texas, AC was a must for me. In the spring and fall I find myself taking the door off so I can enjoy the fresh air. The door comes off my L190 easily.

  45. #45Terry Summers2018-02-08 16:13

    I was told that several years back the aux hydraulics kit was available from a dealer and not priced to badly but the kit is no longer available and cost prohibitive to add now....I may check into cost sometime. I don't have any immediate tasks to do around the house so if it is too hot out I'll leave it in the shed and if it's too cold out it will stay in the shed also....the last time I used it I power washed it off and then put it in the shed and waxed most of it the next day...now I'll wait until the ground is dry so no mud on it

  46. #46Lawrence mock2018-03-02 17:44

    I spent 2 years of my life in Afghanistan running 2 brands of skid steers, and with out a doubt the Cat skid steer was a beast! I was not impressed with the bob cat , the military sent 10 brand new ones with every attachment available , and it barely had enough power to turn the auger ***! so we rigged it up for the old cat to drill the holes , it was a beast. but it did not have all the fancy cabs etc.. But I own a Bobcat mini excavator and it is a dream to run, loads of power smooth, really nice digger.