Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Another non heavy equipment post

cuttin edge · 2021-03-31 17:34

Took my winter tires off my pick up today. When I swap seasonal tires, I make it a habit to service my brakes. Make sure everything is moving free and what not. In spring, I clean and lube the caliper pins. This year, the lower rear ones were stuck, so I cleaned and put silglide on them. I pulled off the front wheel, and needed new pads, so I popped off the caliper. I started the truck to cut the wheel so I could get a better view. Then I had a brain fart, and decided to pump the brakes so the rear calipers would engage the pads. As soon as I pumped the brake, I knew what I had done as I felt my foot go towards the floor. The lower piston popped, but the outer boot held it in place. I backed off the bleeder, carefully put it back in, losened the outer boot to get rid of the fluid, did my brake job, gave it a quick bleed, done. I have rebuilt many wheel cylinders, and master cylinders over the years, but never touched a caliper. What are the chances that it will never leak on me?

Replies7
  1. #1Mike L2021-03-31 18:58

    50/50?

  2. #2Junkyard2021-03-31 20:25

    Calipers aren’t bad to rebuild but often a new one is as cheap as the kit! Same with wheel cylinders. Chinese junk most of the time, any of the Oreilly’s master pro parts are usually a short lifespan crap coming over from Covid land. I won’t use their house brand unless I’m in a jam.

  3. #3Steve Frazier2021-03-31 20:32

    If the piston wasn't rusted it should be fine.

  4. #4cuttin edge2021-03-31 20:49

    I didn't even look it over. The outer boot held it in place, and it didn't even spill a drop of fluid. It was all the way out of the cylinder because I had to move it around to get it back in. Once I got it back in place, I used a pick to unseat the boot, and drain the fluid that came out. Re seated the boot, and who's your father.....

  5. #5lantraxco2021-03-31 21:39

    Probably fine. Hell most of the pistons aren't even metal anymore.

  6. #6cuttin edge2021-04-01 07:35

    I think the 50% are gonna win. I'm gonna watch the master cylinder to see if it goes down, but I think it's leakin. Hoping it's just some fluid I missed in the boot. New caliper is not that expensive, but I hate spending money for being stupid.

  7. #7kshansen2021-04-01 08:51

    worst thing about calipers is when you find a rusty piston or one with scoring. Done everything from small motorcycle ones to those on 65 ton off-highway trucks and they are all pretty much the same, motorcycle ones are a bit lighter! Cleaning the rust/corrosion out of groves is the biggest part of the job.