Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo Matris

simonsrplant · 2021-03-31 15:48

Simple question today Has anyone any experience with this software? Does it use a dedicated comm adaptor or will a nexiq or similar be acceptable? Thanks guys

Replies7
  1. #1funwithfuel2021-03-31 17:41

    It's all proprietary and you would need tech tool 2 to read the data once downloaded. It might be worth having your local dealer come out and download the info and print it into a presentation so that you can see if its something you want

  2. #2Mike L2021-03-31 18:55

    Volvos tattletale system. Just out of curiosity why do you ask?

  3. #3simonsrplant2021-04-01 11:11

    Couple of my customers have volvo equipment. I'd consider buying the software but probably not if I need a dedicated adapter. I just don't do enough on them to justify it.

  4. #4Mike L2021-04-01 11:37

    Are you mixing up tech tool and matris? Tech tool is used for diagnosis where matris is more of a system to record driving behaviors and machine treatment. A couple examples with matris would be a premature turbo failure under warranty. I plug matris in and see that you never let the turbo cool down, you just stop the machine and shut it off. Volvo sees that and denies the claim. I fixed an air conditioner in the spring one year on an excavator hat was under warranty with low hours. We had a hot summer that year. Customer calls in August and says that the a/c belt is squealing and I must have left it loose because this is the first time he turned it on all summer. I drive 3 hours to tighten a belt and while I was there I pulled a matris reading. A/c compressor had cycled on and off something like 11,000 times. Sorry dude, no freebie repair for you.

  5. #5simonsrplant2021-04-02 16:17

    You would be correct. I am mixing up tech tool with matris. Which works with most adapters? (From my googling?!)

  6. #6Mike L2021-04-02 17:54

    Well both programs use the same connectors but you would need tech tool 2 to diagnose trouble codes and prosis for service and parts manuals. And different series of machines required different adapters. Volvo doesn’t make anything easy.

  7. #7simonsrplant2021-04-03 14:54

    Good to know. I already have prosis. Which is handy as a pointer. Came across a few machines with the "standard" 9 pin port and seem to recall seeing a truck with a different port but that was a while back.