Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

another operator having a bad day

dayexco ยท 2009-01-25 11:12

this would suck http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3e4_1232854760

Replies50
  1. #1Deere96702009-01-25 11:30

    whoops, thats rough!

  2. #2cat 3852009-01-25 11:42

    i just don't see how some of this stuff happens.

  3. #3Big Tackle Boy2009-01-25 13:36

    He quite simply wasn't watching what he was doing....! BTB

  4. #4JDMGrading2009-01-25 13:45

    He was watching....just watching the wrong way.

  5. #5rwatkins2009-01-25 14:08

    I dont know what goes threw some peoples heads but that was just ridiculous.

  6. #6joispoi2009-01-25 14:31

    There was no way to prevent that from happening

  7. #7beandrew2009-01-25 19:23

    is the guy just standing on the window on the other side of the cab?

  8. #8bluntman410g2009-01-26 08:37

    that sucks to be that guy!

  9. #9Deere96702009-01-26 09:34

    His boom was very "vertical" making the machine very top heavy, and the backside or "ramp" he was crawling up was kind of mushy and over she went.....expensive day...

  10. #10dayexco2009-01-26 09:43

    i agree, too many ops think they have to have that boom in the air. looks to me he was running on big bridge plank where the soil gave away underneath, and sitting at a 90 deg to his undercarriage like that, plus boom way up in the air....something to be learned, huh?

  11. #11Turbo218352009-01-26 11:28

    You mean to tell me you're actually able to use that stick and bucket to push pull yourself around You know like lift your tracks up and set them on the hard surface, then spin around and push yourself the rest of the way. You think you would still have to worry about your material giving away underneath you? :beatsme

  12. #12qball2009-01-26 12:31

    think his/her coffe spilled?

  13. #13cat 3852009-01-26 14:05

    i think you missed my point,i have spent close to 25 yrs on a hoe and other equipment,having the boom up to high definitely contributed but not knowing where his tracks were was a bigger problem,just like working on a set of mats you got to keep them under your tracks.if you say this is just not paying attention or it fell over just because the boom was to high, i would say being careless is really the big problem that guy does not belong in a hoe because if he turned over that easy it will happen again, i think part of the problem is people think you just get in a go if you don't have respect for the machine and everything else that goes along with being an operator then you do not deserve to be an operator.

  14. #14CabbageThe12009-01-26 15:39

    Lol....well I'm probably the biggest nub on the forum because I have only been operating for about 4 months but if I'm going up anything that even looks slightly questionable I make sure I stretch out my boom and arm. Just to be safe because I don't want to end up like that. And I also agree that if he would have been paying a little more attention that wouldn't have happened. Plus being 18 and getting on as an operator even if it was through an internship doesn't happen very often so I want to keep a good status with my boss and co-workers.

  15. #15John C.2009-01-26 16:36

    It kind of looked like the machine was sitting on some kind of plating across a trench and as the machine walked onto the other plate the one he started on was pushed back of just dropped into the trench. I have to wonder where the site forman was, if there were any safety people around and why someone working on the site didn't say something before the accident. Possibly a crew of half wits. Now that the bone head play is on video for the world to see I have to wonder about the employment status of the crew. The path next to the site kind of reminds me of the roads in Holland. The color and cab style kind of looks like a Sumitomo. Good operator training lesson.

  16. #16DJR962009-01-26 18:21

    He obviously had no idea whatsoever. ointhead Long before he actually fell he should have been thinking about getting level gently anyway. Even if he hadn't fallen over, he would have crashed down hard on that platform as he overbalanced on the edge of it. Potentially collapsing the platform and injuring (or worse ) the guy in the trench. Best thing to have happened to the guy, get him out of the industry.

  17. #17OCR2009-01-26 18:41

    What??? I just don't understand your post at all... ....... Just kidding of course... LOL Probably... might have burnt their lips too... :lmao.... LOL It looks to me like the person just kept the travel direction going the same way... even after they should have realized they were in a "situation"... Even a quick reversal of the travel motors might have saved them... :beatsme All in all... wasn't a smooth move... (poor pun)... LOL OCR

  18. #18Dirtman20072009-01-26 18:43

    That had to be a ride. That would have been hard to save. once the tracks came off the ground there really was not much of a chance of stopping it. By the time you figured out what was happening it would have been hard to drop the boom that quick. Sometimes **** happens I like how the guy in the trench did not even notice anything happened for a while. What kind of bucket is that? Sure ain't from the US.

  19. #19stock2009-01-26 20:35

    To be very honest I think that this one is a case of "there by the grace of god go we".Having watched the video a least 20 times to see what caused the event, the only thing I can see resulted in this accident was that the end of the trench gave way at a critical moment,if you watch the time line it all happens in less than 7 seconds,a very short time to turn a 20t+ excavator on it side. If we were to be really honest with ourselves we all have tracked back with our booms & sticks in this position with no adverse effects,the superstructure was in the right position for what he was doing, tracking back when personel were around, so he chould see his direction of travel. If I was in the operators boots I would be glad of the video as it shows that circumstances beyond his control resulted in this mishap ,one for the 5% I think,the only thing I would be concerned about was the man in the trench under the machine.In my humble opinion its in Belgium/Holland and what looks like a leibherr. There are a lot of reckless operator/drivers out there and I wouldn't class this one in that bracket. Stock:my2c

  20. #20544D102009-01-26 20:57

    As a forklift driver everything I do is all about Center of Gravity. Here's an excerpt from a JLG training manual: At the center of this regulation, is a machine that stands on a triangular footprint and lifts heavy weights to impressive heights. Of course, there are other dangers, but the key objective is to keep the telehandler upright. The two front wheels and the rear-axle pivot point form a telehandler's triangular base. The rear wheels are not part of the base because the rear axle typically oscillates. As long as the machine's center of gravity (the point in three dimensions around which the machine's weight is balanced) remains oriented inside this stability triangle, the telehandler remains upright. Adding a load to the forks while the boom is down moves the center of gravity forward and down. Raising the load will move the center of gravity up and to the rear, while at the same time causing the stability triangle to shrink. The higher you lift a load, the less margin for error you have because the stability triangle becomes smaller. A small stability triangle leaves less room for the center of gravity to wander left or right if the frame is not perfectly level. Imagine the center of gravity as a plumb bob hanging from the boom. You'll always find the center of gravity somewhere on a perfectly vertical line between a point on the boom and the center of the Earth. If the frame's not level, the center of gravity will not be oriented over the machine's center-line. But the stability triangle is always aligned with the telehandler center-line. With the boom raised and extended (the stability triangle very small), the frame only has to be slightly out of level to make the center of gravity drift to either side of the triangle. The laws of physics are as certain as gravity. The moment the machine's center of gravity moves beyond the boundaries of the stability triangle, the telehandler begins to tip. At any job site, there are things affecting the stability of a telehandler other than where you put the boom. You may be on a 1-degree side slope, in a 5-mile-per-hour wind. There may be a little ice under your wheels, and one tire a little low on air pressure. If the machine goes over, there may be no single cause. It was a combination of factors that are all things you can catch and correct or avoid. Know I know that running a hoe is nothing at all like driving a lift but the laws of physics DO NOT CARE. I would hope that regular safety training would include some sort of physic lesson on how to safely operate your machine.

  21. #21JDOFMEMI2009-01-27 12:55

    I see a lot of small issues here that, each one alone, would be no problem, but added together resulted in an accident. The mats did not go clear to the end of the trench The soil appears to be pretty unstable. The tracks are sunk in befor he even tried climbing on the mats. If he had made the climb in that manner, he would slam pretty hard onto the mats, and that is not a good idea, especially when they are spanning a trench. When he felt the machine tip up steeper than normal, he could have stopped, or better yet reversed and examined conditions again If the house was forward, and the boom not all the way up, the weight MAY have transferred sooner onto the mats, and not have fallen into the void In my opinion, the safer way would be to use the bucket on the ground to first lift the front of tracks onto the mats, then turn around and use the bucket to level the machine with the mats while walking slowly into position. Always remember that hindsight is 20-20, and it is easy to criticise from a distance

  22. #22AtlasRob2009-01-27 14:05

    I have to agree 100% with all that you say. He / she must have come off those mats to do the levelling they was doing at the start of the video. When he went back he had his mind on something else the machine was in completely the wrong position to complete the manoever safely. I know of guys that have ended up in exactly that position when they tracked back off a topsoil heap they were loading away :beatsme Why the **ll he didnt reverse his travel levers immediately I can only guess, that he was using his feet. :bash

  23. #23John DiMartino2009-01-27 14:23

    That was just a careless operator. Sorry Stock,I dont agree with you at all,the video incriminates him.He made several mistakes.Common sense tells you to stop,and reverse when he got past 1/2 way up on the mats,and it wasnt to the balance point yet.On top of that the hoe was too high and swung in the wrong direction,with his hoe tight and high,the counterweight on the bottom side literally pulling the machine right over. If I was his boss,that little stunt would have been his last day on the job,he would be doing manual labor after that,no way would I let him back in any heavy equipment.

  24. #24cat 3852009-01-27 20:27

    yes i agree, that was my point he knew he had a gap in the mat's underneath the machine he simply walked off the mats,as john c said the mat did move, but not until the machine started to go and the force of that made the mat move.if you worked on mat's even in the mud and you don't have them spaced right you will fall off the mat's that is why you should use three mats and not two so you can move.this is just my opinion maybe you guys saw something i didn't but i still say careless operator.

  25. #25544D102009-01-27 20:57

    Exactly, and can anyone tell which side the drives are on. I bet the low side as he didn't seem to do anything else correct either.

  26. #26Reuben2009-01-27 21:38

    i always try to make it a habit of tracking with the super structure facing the direction of travel.I always control my "tip point" by simply moving the bucket either toward or away from the machine. I probably would have kept the bucket in tracket up to the mat until a decent amount of track was on the mat and either slowly extend the bucket until the machine gently tipped onto the mat or i would have spun around and lifted myself on.The problem I see though is that the ground seemed to give way. If he would have just got enough track on the matts to support the machine and then spun around and lifted himself on then alll probably would have been well.

  27. #27DarrylMueller2009-01-28 01:04

    Fantastic safety training vedio! The point is, he was working and climbed on to mats or plates across the shored excavation. All he had to do is get on the mats or plates the same way you would load on a low bed without ramps lift up the front walk ahead turn around then lift the back and walk on. If you notice that most roll over excavators have high booms and or over the tracks? This comes from poor supervision and lack of understanding, remember operating "ENGINEER" "That means you have to think, and plan."

  28. #28d4c24a2009-01-28 12:02

    what make stock it looks like a jcb to me but i could be wrong

  29. #29Reuben2009-01-28 15:03

    I just noticed this post....When you move a machine one better know what is going on around him. You ALWAYS CHECK AROUND YOUR MACHINE BEFORE YOU MOVE.especially when there is others around you.I always read the "safety watch" in equipment world magazine...click this link and read it. http://www.digitalmagazinetechnology.com/magazineV2.0/?KEY=equipmentworld-09-01january#page=41 That was VERY VERY preventable. His tracks were on the matt and the only think he needed to do was swing around check his "back" and then lift the end of the tracks that were not on the matt and back up on to the matt. If I would have ever pulled a "bone head move" like that and knew I was on tape I would have jumped out of the machine and ran strait for the camera to destroy the evidence that showed how dumb I was.I agree with you Darryl....perfect safety training video. I have said it in other posts..."an excavator is extemely forgiving and versatile but when they bite they bite hard". I have been in situations and seen others in situations and thought there is no way of getting out of that without a crane or other help....and sure as hell... get out of it. THAT GUY WAS WRECKLESS...he never checked around his machine completely......... and actually......well he wrecked right

  30. #30NL1CAT2009-01-28 17:20

    It is actually a JCB . The firm owing the excavator is from my village. I heard the counterweight is a bit twisted because there were sheet piling underneath . Also the side door and plating a bit dented (and the operator confidence)

  31. #31John DiMartino2009-01-29 08:44

    He is still operating that machine! Oh boy,I hope next time he doesnt take out an innocent worker.

  32. #32stock2009-01-29 15:29

    I stand corrected.

  33. #33adr022009-01-30 22:40

    Just a little cosmetic damage... So easy to judge.. Must be a terrible operator because a good one wouldn't make a mistake right? If tipped over once he'll probably make a habit out of it I can only guess.. Mistakes are made by the best of us, with minor consequences all the time, although this one may look bad, nobody got hurt, and the machine could be running again in short order. If the operator was reliable in the past, and this was his first incident, I see no reason for him to be fired for an accident. Now someone who doesn't check their oil regularly and slacks on greasing should be canned, that's not an accident.

  34. #34special tool2009-01-31 06:46

    Not fire him....but surely bust his balls GOOD for a few months. I'd make a couple plaques, a blue ribbon, maybe even a trophy with his name on it...:drinkup Oh, his name would be "Flip" too.

  35. #35NL1CAT2009-01-31 06:58

    Amen :notworthy There is a old dutch saying that goes something like this: Someone who isn't capable to make mistakes , isn't capable to do anything.

  36. #36AtlasRob2009-01-31 13:41

    dont be too quick to judge! A BIG red " L " plate on the back end will often suffice. I know a very good owner operator who laid his duck on its side a badly backfilled trench by others caught him off guard and with the risk of killing his banksman who was steadying the pump they were placing or loosing the machine, he saved the machine no, he slewed to take the pump away from the banksman who was unaware in that split second of what was about to happen but as a result laid the duck on its side. He operated a long reach track machine a little while later to clear out a pond, and arrived to find somebody had written " THIS WAY UP " with an arrow on the side

  37. #37RIVERRUNNER2009-02-20 09:10

    Wow!!!!!

  38. #38mouse2009-02-21 05:09

    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=960_1195261804 seeing as we are talking bout people doing really stupid things... not sure who is dumber in this case - the guy on the controls or the swingster.

  39. #39Auctioneerhere2010-11-27 17:37

    ^Holy Cow...You can't fix stupid.

  40. #40alco2010-11-27 18:10

    That's what you call natural selection.

  41. #41DeanW2010-11-27 20:52

    ^^Truth^^

  42. #42HeavyDutyLuk2010-11-27 22:48

    WoW!!

  43. #43jimrr2010-11-28 11:15

    it may be he's had to make umpteen crossings a day over some sort of ''bridge''. this one didn't have much fill before the planks and his ''road'' so there was some gap and soft fill at that. mabey he usually went with the counterweight first but needed to turn and look this time or........? sure, unfortunate but we get opportunities here to criticize the obvious, (and do) in my mind this may not of been too obvious............i do wonder though if he'd of slammed the boom down stick out if it could of tipped the balance? or reversed quick..........i do think he could of done something.

  44. #44buckfever2010-11-28 12:19
  45. #45MrMechanic2010-11-29 14:58

    Looked like his boom was to the right hand-side elevated, while his tracks went a different direction. It swung to the side taking his left front track off the ramp, and everything else started to go with it. Looked like a serious balance issue. If he had straighened the equipment to where arm was to the front, instead of angled to the right, and lifting up. He could have made it. Is this a safe assumption? (I'm trying to learn how things work, not an Operator currently, but a future hopeful)

  46. #46MrMechanic2010-11-29 15:10
  47. #47Reel hip2010-12-01 15:31

    At least he shut the machine down!!! I didn't see any black exhaust

  48. #48FarmerAlex2010-12-01 20:34

    Gday fellas, look i'm have never operated an excavator in my life, mainly ag machinery, now just as a matter of interest. Would a correct method of moving onto a platform like that be first to turn the machine around, line up straight on, check for obstructions, then rotate around so you are going backwards, lower the boom to the ground, and use it to support the machine as you drive up onto the platform???? Would love to know the correct way of tackling such a problem. cheers Alex

  49. #49Zace2010-12-01 22:37

    What u would want to do is put your bucket down infront of about half way out then lift yourself and track forward so your tracks would get up on the wood. Then pick your boom up off the ground and track forward till u are on the platform. If u would do it as u suggested Alex your tracks might push the wood instead of get up on it. Also rule number one is never move where u can see. I dont trust the mirrors on the machine.

  50. #50Jlillie22010-12-02 11:06

    Smart guy, sounds you'll live to operate a long time. B-) If its any consolation, you have more seat time than me, I just jumped over from using backhoes and dump trucks. I already love operating the excavator, there is so much more that you can do with it. (And mine is an old junker)