good juice from batterys, good power to first solenoid (before starter solenoid), and good juice at solenoid on starter but no rotation-any ideas?
I'd yank the starter off of it and bench test it. It's not hard to do on that machine.
thx atcoequip, my diesel mechanic and I checked the juice at the starter and for some reason when the key is in the starting position it will not give juice to the other side of the solenoid (on the starter itself). The solenoid before the starter is clicking and getting juice. I am just trying to save myself the trouble but sounds like I should eliminate the starter itself. We thought there might be a safety switch in the path that could go bad. My mechanic has changed starters on truck engines for twenty years but has no experience with heavy equipment. This is why I came here to try and figure out if we should check something else out before I start replacing parts or just take it to the dealer and get smoked. I was just looking for the easy way out on the info highway, thx for the suggestion.
Hey, I'll make it even easier. If your guy has 20 yrs experience on trucks, equipment starter aren't that much different. Don't remove your starter, just get a remote starter switch. Your mechanic should have one. If not, tell him to get one! Turn on your keyswitch, as this activates your battery disconnect relay to allow power/ground to machine. Connect your remote starter switch to positive battery post of starter (on starter solenoid) and to the solenoid switch wire terminal. Push your remote starter button. If starter works, starter ain't your problem. Get out your test light and check your start relays. Your mechanic should be able to quickly find the problem.
great idea, thanks again atcoequip much appreciated
You didn't mention the Dash number of the EX300. The extra relay clamped on the starter solenoid is a safety relay that prevents the starter from being operated when the engine is running. On most of the Japanese machines there is an extra wire from the alternator going to that relay. When the alternator is turning making juice it goes to that relay. The diode in the alternator that feeds that extra wire can burn through sending battery voltage to the relay anytime the key is turned on and then the starter doesn't work. Some machines may have a diode in a wiring harness somewhere that does the same thing. You have to get a wiring diagram to make sure. You can check the starter by jumping from the hot lead from the battery to the ungrounded lug on the solenoid. If the starter works, you got trouble somewhere else. Good Luck!