Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Another question

DMiller ยท 2016-11-24 17:35

Alright, you all probably know I aint right in the head but I need to ask; Am looking at a FA16B, sitting outside Kingdom City MO off I-70. Have not actively stopped to look nor call the owner but this is the question. It will have 7.850 rails on it, max dimension 8.057, I can put Cat 8.0 SALT rails on it and be in reason to fit the sprockets, the rollers and idler do not care. What can you guys tell me as to the quirks of these and if I am just being hard headed in looking to keep a Allis working?

Replies10
  1. #1Metalman 552016-11-24 20:29

    I am guilty of those same inclinations. Just last week I went to look at this one. Now I am grappling with better judgement. This D8K actually seems to be in pretty good shape & blade is fairly tight. I could not do any pushing, but was able to move it around some. No visible leaks either. http://www.sunrise-equipment.com/item_details.php?id=1320#prettyPhoto

  2. #2td25c2016-11-24 21:01

    I would check close on the measurement on the Cat rails & fiat rollers . Comparing to a Cat D7G the Fiat rail pitch is shorter but the Fiat HD16 rails are wider . About 5/8 inch . Might or might not work on the double flange bottom rollers & idler . Only way to do it rite is convert over to Cat rollers , sprocket segments , & idler . I'm part of the way . My Fiat rails were good but bottom rollers were shot . Ended up re - drilling track frames for modified Cat D7G rollers . HeavyEquipmentForums

  3. #3td25c2016-11-24 21:23

    Don't know what to tell ya what to do ? Normally the best bet is find one with decent undercarrige ( few & far between ) . This one looks nice but cant see the rails very well . http://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/construction-equipment/for-sale/12197821/1975-fiatallis-16b Go run it for a bit and if you like it buy it . On the other hand ...... If they will give you the 16 your looking at ( scrap price ) it might be worth looking in to on an undercarrige conversion being what people are asking price wise on similar equipment ? Buy rites I should be upgrading My HD16 to a more " parts available " Cat D7G dozer . My buddy has a nice one for sale . http://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/construction-equipment/for-sale/12248909/1986-cat-d7g Equipment market is a little strange now ..... My buddy tells me evreyone want's a cab tractor today so they are having trouble moving the D7G . They can't give me a good trade in price on my 16B due to no parts support . I like easy decisions on paid for iron .................. The 16B stays in the fleet & we put it on a job site earning when needed . http://www.heavytruckforums.com/showthread.php?263-Some-Holmes-750-action&p=2537&viewfull=1#post2537

  4. #4catman132016-11-25 00:22

    find a cat , more parts availability, and cheaper ,,, and you will be better in the head fot it

  5. #5DMiller2016-11-25 13:15

    Cheaper to fix maybe but on average for a similar size machine around four times the initial cost that I cannot afford. Know where a pair of 14C units sit, they at least take 7.484 rails and by dimensions Deere will fit.

  6. #6Queenslander2016-11-25 17:06

    Although new undercarriage for the 16 is rarer than rocking horse ****, the 14 has Italian heritage and there is still plenty of track gear manufactured for them worldwide. We recently put new rollers on ours, local supplier had them in stock.

  7. #7DMiller2016-11-25 18:54

    How do down under Queenslander, I have access to two 14C units, one is a bit more weathered than the other, one has a full cab but no glass. The seller also has a 'decent' 10B with lots of power for the size but scares me some as to age and undercarriage. Local shop here can get undercarriage pieces for the 14's, at least for now.

  8. #8clintm2016-11-25 20:28

    ? to Queenslander does those clearing tops on dozers not trap the heat in and cook the operator.

  9. #9Queenslander2016-11-26 03:35

    Clintm, I don't think they're noticeably warmer than a completely open rops, but absolutely essential when working in standing timber.

  10. #10DMiller2016-11-26 08:41

    Someone told me, might be the guy with the 10B that Cat 6.906 rails were a direct fit on it, is that a correct statement? I thought the 10B rail was just a metric size off the old 7.0 Allis rails which I already own one with those hard to find.