Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D7H engine making oil

wayne.d7 ยท 2016-11-24 08:44

Hi Guys I have a power shift D7H serial no SWB 721 the engine is making oil.Had a oil test done it's not fuel dilution it appears to be trans oil, its low on the dipstick,no other leaks visible Can oil leak from the torque converter into the engine,anyone out there had this problem Cheers Wayne

Replies11
  1. #1Mark2502016-11-24 13:28

    Hi Wayne, I would check your hydraulic pump first as it is driven directly off the engine rear gear train and can have a direct oil path past the pump seal if the tell tale in the pump is blocked Mark

  2. #2Shimmy12016-11-24 13:43

    D7H has a coolant over oil transmission cooler. If not the hydraulic pump, that would be next on the list.

  3. #3wayne.d72016-11-24 20:27

    Hi Mark thanks for your reply I have resealed the Hydraulic pump on the same page as you there.The oil test showed no drop in viscosity in the 15w40 engine oil the Hydraulics use 10w We are rained off for the weekend so I will drain the torque converter to see if it's over fill maybe flooded and putting preasure on rear crank seal,it still performs ok drove it myself for a couple of hours today it's pulling a scoop no noticeable drop in performance which I would expect with a flooded converter Cheers have a good weekend Wayne

  4. #4Shimmy12016-11-24 20:34

    Where on the engine did you pull the oil sample from Wayne? I believe the torque converter has a scavenge pump, so being overfull might or might not be possible.

  5. #5wayne.d72016-11-25 04:03

    Hi shimmy thanks for your reply I did a engine oil change on it and grabbed a sample as it was draining out. As above will check the t/c oil quantity over the weekend cheers Wayne

  6. #6wayne.d72016-11-26 23:58

    I checked the torque converter oil level drained out about 2 litres.Checked breather is clean So now things are leaning towards a rear crankshaft seal replacement Cheers Wayne

  7. #7Shimmy12016-11-27 09:35

    This might seem like a "Captain Obvious" question, but are you certain that it's making oil? Maybe someone read the wrong side of the dipstick, or added oil on a slope? Just making sure that it's a certainty that it's making oil? On a side note, to everyone who read it and shook their heads, it's not the first time I've engaged a "communication device" before the brain, and prob won't be the last.

  8. #8CDUB2016-11-27 22:13

    Had a d7g that had trans oil getting into the engine through the rear main. Is your transmission losing oil?

  9. #9wayne.d72016-11-28 02:35

    Yes trans is losing oil no visible leaks drained about 5 litres out of engine after 50 hours work

  10. #10wayne.d72017-01-14 15:00

    Replaced crank rear main seal problem solved

  11. #11JS3002017-01-15 01:10

    Good deal glad you got it fixed. It's always good to see how these things turn out.