OLD IRON question I kind of inherited this old dozer when I purchased the property out of forclosure where it is located a year or two back from the bank. I have had several people tell me that this looks like an old HD 5 yet can't confirm it. I've looked all over this thing for serial numbers and have not found them any where that they should be or at least any where that I have been told that they should be. Does any one recognize this old beast and would it be a worthy resto project?
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums cope9079! :drinkup
I don't know what it is, but if you PM Wrenchbender, he'll be over with a battery charger and a can of ether, and have you pushing dirt by lunchtime.
Thanks, I seen that wrench bender was right down the road.
I moved your question to its own thread. Its a distinct enough differnce to deserve its own. BTW, I kinda like the fully enclosed operator's station. Do way with those pesky, time-consuming, unproductive, coffee and lunch breaks...
cope9079, I see that mister digger242j is kinda streacthing the truth a tad. It would probly take closer to supper time to git'er going. And yep she does look like an HD5. BTW thanks fer haveing faith in me there digger.
old dozer the emblem on top of the radiator look like the one that was on all the old Allis-Chalmers machines
You got it dirthog, I'm purdy sure that is an HD5 Allis Chalmer.
I can make out most of the Allis Chalmers on the tag, wish I could find a good serial # for the unit itself to determine what year it is. I did find the following #s: ENGINE model # 2056 serial #2A17304 Blade Baker Mfg. Springfield IL machine #5BGF 3874
off topic but Hey Cope, way off topic but, is the Barn from the Days of Thunder movie still standing in Mooresville. I took some pics of it when I was living down there back in 02 and it was surrounded by appts and condos. Friend of mine, her father in law(Ted Musgrave Sr.) lives not too far from where it was, but haven't asked her if its still there. Just curious. Trbo
Not sure about that, I don't get out that way alot. I work in Charlotte but live and play about 30 miles west/NW (Gaston County). I'll ask some of the guys at work about it. Not sure if it has recieved any national coverage or not but give it a few years and you might ask me if the old LOWES speedway way is still standing out in Concord. Old Bruton can't make up his mind.
LOL I know what you mean, they still giving him fits about his drag strip that he wants to build. They P O him too much he will just move and build another one. Trbo
Hd 5 This is an HD 5 with a Baker hydraulic blade. Its powered by a little Jimmy.
The HD5 was made from '46 to '55. It had a 2-71 Detroit (GMC, then), and was rated at 38 drawbar horsepower. Bare weight was a little over 5 tons. ( Allis Chalmers Construction Machinery and Industrial Equipment , Norm Swinford) -- Good book! Serial number 3874 was manufactured in 1948 according to this book.
Thanks for all the replys, 1948 helps alot with purchasing a service manual.
Hi I got my HD5 home a couple of weeks ago. Is complete but need a new chain on one side and the ordinary TLC. Will post picture when I can... Erik
Hey cope that little dozer wouldnt happen to be for sale would it? I'd love to have it.
Hey JDM, I replied to your pm and have not heard anything from you? Let me know if you are interested in talking about this dozer and did not get my msg. Thanks, Richard
the serial number seems wrong. they did not put the machine serial number on the blade, that is the serial number of the blade only. the serial number for the machine is on the back of the final drive housing, upper right side, stamped in the casting. it is also in the operators compartment just above where your right foot brake is on a small tag. let us know the number, we will look it up. should read hd5b----. these have a 2-71 detroit engine, loud but powerful. i have lots of parts for these if anyone needs them . hope this helps.
howdy; the old barn and metal silo are still there however getting in worse shape as years go by. the old house or school bldg in front beside the road was demolished a couple years ago. left to the elements and the upscale residents in the condo's having to look at it every time the enter the site it would not surprise me that it could be gone any day. If the economy had not tanked it would have already been gone. maybe I should get a picture or two of the old barn next time I visit the Target Store across the street. brownsmule in race city USA
It looked like a bulldozer without cap, maybe it is used on farm.
I have a what is it for you guys i use it as a crane http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc379/lanz3606/Picture004-1.jpg
You should work as a detective.
Back to the HD5 in the grass here is one in australia http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc379/lanz3606/IMG_1177.jpg
That operator is having way too much fun
You should still be able to get 271engine parts . Check Boats and HArbors yellow sheet or check them online . The 71 series engines are still used to this day with all the high tech diesels out. 271 series were put in michigan cranes like the one in a post I did a while ago. I hope someone restores it because when terrorist attack with an electro magnetic pulse all these electronic Diesels will be junk. I have more faith in Mechanical Diesels than a high tech