Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Another What is This Thing?

Birken Vogt ยท 2017-05-05 11:49

I found this where a truck could run over it. Solid steel, not a hose barb. About 5/8" on the big end and maybe 3/16 on the small.

Replies14
  1. #1Old JD2017-05-05 12:14

    Bushing driver?

  2. #2Hobbytime2017-05-05 12:23

    a swedging tool for tubing.. https://www.amazon.com/Pasco-4330-S...01344&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=tubing+swedge+kit

  3. #3The Peej2017-05-05 13:28

    not a swedging tool since it has square shoulders. I like the driver idea since the large end looks mushroomed from striking

  4. #4Birken Vogt2017-05-05 19:34

    Hmm. Very small bushings but I guess now I have to save it forever in case I need it one day.

  5. #5Junkyard2017-05-05 19:56

    Maybe it was a measuring device of some sort, go/no go gauge for ID of tubes? Of course anything resembling a punch will be used as such, possibly explaining the mushroomed ends....? Junkyard

  6. #6DIYDAVE2017-05-05 21:06

    I know what it it, its abused! looks like somebody stole it outta a toolbox, used it to do a job it wasn't designed to do, then discarded it. Either that or that, and it fell off the truck that was hauling it to the scrapyard...

  7. #7old-iron-habit2017-05-07 23:20

    I dont think its a bushing driver. It would not work on a shallow depth bushing. I like the sizing check idea althoug it looks long on each size for that.

  8. #8Brodiesel2017-05-08 00:04

    I cant tell what scale it is, it looks a lot like some of the valve guide drivers I have.

  9. #9Brodiesel2017-05-08 00:05

    I also think its custom, lathe turned.

  10. #10lantraxco2017-05-08 03:23

    High school shop project, guy that turned it got a C+, scrapped it.

  11. #11Mark2502017-05-08 07:30

    agree with lantraxco ,this was similar to tasks I did for machine shop. instructor would check finish with torch and size with graded rings Mark

  12. #12TD242017-05-08 20:19

    Looks like a cheaply made handy bushing driver we would have turned. Used to tap bushings into various caster wheels. Little thin split bushing for slow motion cage bearings used for the caster wheels on hand powered push truck/buggies. Check a Colson/Hamilton/Payson caster dealer page for types used and various configurations. I have one in good shape Ihad made here to use with Faultless casters years ago.

  13. #13TD242017-05-08 20:21

    Take mine, batter it up using as a blunt punch, let it rust, toss it around, then lose it... Wallah, your device.

  14. #14Vetech632017-05-17 16:12

    I have a very similar item that is a clutch alignment tool.