Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Antifreeze recycling machine

James Sorochan ยท 2022-01-08 16:47

Does anyone recycle their antifreeze these days. I used to do it around 10-12 yers ago with a wynns machine that you would cycle the used coolant through which filtered it then you would top up the additives to refresh it. The add-pac was expensive but at least you didn't have to find somewhere to dispose of the old coolant. I have a filter cart that has two canisters that I haven't set up yet so I might use one side for coolant and the other side for hydraulic. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Replies4
  1. #1JLarson2022-01-08 20:12

    We typically have it disposed of by a company that recycles it if we have large quantities, think generators. We can get recycled coolant from them in quantity too.

  2. #21693TA2022-01-15 12:01

    I used to recycle coolants and still have the machine to do it. It is basically a distiller and as example ethylene glycol boils at about 268 degrees Fahrenheit and distills out crystal clear. You then mix additives to give the proper concentrations of anti corrosion, lubrication, and color desired. Easy process really but not near the market available as a viable profit center to me.

  3. #3Nige2022-01-18 07:36

    The first question that comes to mind is does every machine/vehicle that you have use exactly the same brand and specification of coolant.? There are so many types of around these days, especially the in the ELC market with all sorts of different additive mixes (nitrited vs nitrite-free is one example) I'd guess it would be a major task to figure out what you have already.

  4. #4James Sorochan2022-01-18 17:37

    Hi Nige. We have a mixed bag of equipment consisting of construction and farm equipment plus trucks. All but a couple are diesel. Oldest is the 1963 D7E up to New Kubota M6-111 tractor. Late 80's grader, mid 2000's excavators, Volvo l90C loader. I Started using some mixed fleet pre-mix extended life antifreeze by the drum. They say its good for everything.