It seems like most of the towns and villages up and down the Pacific Coast, from California to Alaska have some old logging, construction, or railroad equipment on display. Many of you on this forum are actively working to preserve this history in lots of different places and locations. Trucks- (yes, thats you HDX) Railroad, Construction and all, post your pics here. If they are public displays, give a location so people like me can stop and have a look-see if we get in the neighborhood too. I have a bunch of pics to post here, but dont wait for me- post yours!
The Pacific Northwest Logging Museum is a newcomer to the stage, located at the Antique Powerland in Brooks, Oregon. We're working on getting a website up and when it does I'll probably have it as a link on my signature. We've got the following equipment; some on site, some not yet: *** Disclaimer *** There are guaranteed to be mistakes here! EQUIPMENT AT MUSEUM SITE ------------------------------------- Pile driver hammer Danebo skycar w/ 2cyl Deutz Orange grapple of some kind Skyline tree shoe Dragline bucket with teeth on both sides Thunderbird (RSC-45?) skycar w/ 5.9 Cummins Cable grapple Danebo skycar w/ 2 cyl Deutz Lidgerwood winch/capstan Hyster RD8 winch Carco hydraulic winch model E-24 serial # 3992 (unknown), some sort of shop equipment? Donkey fairlead Lifting hook attachment for forklift Thunderbird mechanical slackpulling carriage Danebo S-35 mechanical slackpulling carriage Carco winch w/ fairlead Madill 009 hoist w/ cab, no engine, originally had 1693 Cat power Serial #48042 MK21 Model 71-9-65 Allis Chalmers model M crawler tractor with blade Skagit 2 drum yarder, mounted on GMC truck, (3-53 Detroit in yarder)? Skagit 3 drum yarder Skagit 2 drum yarder w/ NHRS Cummins Bay City dipper stick shovel, also has crane boom and pile driver Skagit BU-300 Wheeled tow behind ripper, not ours Skagit 2 drum loader w/ 6 cyl gas power Dragline bucket Canopy Blocks, tong, straps, etc on pallet Butt rigging on pallet Tournapull Model D scraper w/ 4-71 Detroit PACCAR track arch, gray, not ours Caterpillar motor grader, says Marion County on cab Pull grader, Road King No. 8, Serial # 640 (Adams) PACCAR track arch, yellow Wheel arch, "EWC" on wheel hubs EQUIPMENT NOT ON SITE -------------------------- Willamette? 2 drum donkey w/ flathead Ford V8 Wagner LJ-330 Lorain truck mounted shovel D8 2U Sled mounted gas donkey Willamette 3 drum loader, gas conversion Interstate Timber-Tower on Euclid C-6 Willamette donkey Willamette 12x14 Humboldt yarder A whole bunch of old power saws, some very rare
Point Defiance in Tacoma has a couple of old steam yarders and used to have a working railroad train ride. I don't know if they are still running it. There is also the train ride out of Elbe going to Mineral. I don't think they are running yet but should be soon. That is a great ride. As I recall there were some machine on display up in Mineral. The antique tractor show in up in Linden has a working steam saw mill and some static displays of steam yarders. They run the first or second weekend in August. It is a great show. I believe the Deming log show is coming up very soon. Buckley shortly after that and the Morton log show is later on in the summer. All are great with a local talent competing. I'll post if I see or remember anything else in Washington State.
Camp 18, Seaside (Elsie) Oregon I came down to Longview recently to check in on some real estate investments I still have around town, and spent some time on the Wash/Ore coast. Living here in Alaska, while much of my income comes out of that area I just dont get down there as often as I should. Anyway, on the 1st of April the woman and I ate dinner at Camp 18 and I took some pics. (She took more, and hers are better, but I am to proud to ask for them). In my logging days I ate breakfast in there 2 or 3 days a week, they open at 5am, I recommend it. Enjoy the pics, and visit Camp 18 as often as you can.
Round 2.
5 More.
Another 5. 5 must be the magic number.
This round is for dozers I guess:tong
More dozer shots, hope it isnt too much.
Good timing Contract Logger
Camp 18 Pics.
Great Dozer and Arch Murk! Hey- you dont get to Duncan much do you?? Some better stuff there than anywhere else I've seen.
Extra Riggin' laying around. Never seen so many shackles in one place I dont think. Lots of blocks and straps and, well, you get the drift.
I can almost see the 90 footer from my porch. I'm on it:yup
Pics from Camp 18.
The main Restaraunt building is really neat. And I liked the 'Riggin Duck', in fact I want one!
Camp 18 Restaraunt, Main Dining Room. Very Cool Indeed! All Logging, All the Time.
Camp 18 hosts a 'Loggers Memorial'. For those fallen in the woods, open to all. I didnt take many pics, I know too many names and recognize too many faces on those walls. Makes me feel both old, and lucky. I am both. The bronze faller is life-sized, and the chandeleirs are made of tin hats. Enough said about that place.
Visit Gordon Smith at Camp 18 next time you're in NW Oregon. He is great and would love to show you his collection of all things old logging. Hope the pics created interest.
C.L., thanks for the pictures in this thread, I really enjoy the history involved in these pictures and info, a lot of this info will be gone soon, leaving with the people who were the ones who participated in this era. That said I would like to put a link to the Frase Steam sawmill pictures which I'm sure you have seen many times. This sawmill is just up the road a couple of miles and was affected by the heavy winter snow of two winters ago. Mr Frase(senior) is now in his mid ninties and will not personally rebuild the mill but he told me that his son will in the near future. Its a project worth doing. Fred http://www.pbase.com/jimthode/frase_steam_sawmill
Contract Logger Now I know where my hardhat went. We are not allowed to wear tin lids anymore up this way Must be those plastic pieces of crap God I hate them
The Pacific Northwest Logging Museum now has a website up: http://www.pnwloggingmuseum.com/ It's just a start for now, but it will have a lot more on it as we get more familiar with the program stuff. Did I say we? Alleyoop did it all; many thanks to him for countless hours and lots of patience.
camp 18 is sure a fine place to eat & stretch. while out walking around on one trip i found this scale model of camp 18 out back under the porch ! :beatsme
Forest Discovery Center Duncan BC
]Forest Discovery Center Duncan BC[/QUOTE]
]]Forest Discovery Center Duncan BC[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
]Forest Discovery Center Duncan BC
Forest Discovery Center Duncan BC
Forest Discovery Center Duncan BC
Forest Discovery Center Duncan BC
Forest Discovery Center Duncan BC
Forest Discovery Center Duncan BC
Forest Discovery Center Duncan BC
more Forest Discovery Center Duncan BC
more Forest Discovery Center Duncan BC
]more Forest Discovery Center Duncan BC
more Forest Discovery Center Duncan BC[
]more Forest Discovery Center Duncan BC[
Forest Discovery Center Duncan BC ( thats it)
Murk100, Is Duncan BC on the Island or on the mainland? Boy the display is a treasure, thanks to the folks who had the inspiration to put it together and thanks to you for posting the pictures. Fred
Yes it's on the Island 45 min. north of Victoria. The museum is funded by the government and donations and of coarse with cutbacks in the forest industry and governments they are suffering but hanging in there. Its a great way to spend the day with the family, Steam Train, Swings and stuff for the kids etc.
Here's a few more
Lidgerwood Skidder Never thought I would see one of these, but here it is on display in Tacoma Camp 6 Logging museum
I was hoping someone would post pictures of the Ledgerwood!! Thanks saw it about 15 yrs ago.
the Lidgerwood came from weyco longview. they actually had it on display near their office in longview, before they donated it to camp 6 525
http://www.bcforestmuseum.com/?wellburn-collection,104 Here is a link to their website
Stumbled across this in Lake Cowichan B.C. its on a traffic round about. It must have been used for dewatering or loading barges. Looked to me about 4 or 5 tons, 6 ft tall. I think JAWS would be scared of this baby!!!
2 arch trucks at display in Revelstoke - both ex-military trucks. Grey truck is Mack N-model while the other could be a Brockway or White.
For those who havnt seen this one yet. Catapillar Museum at Rotorua New Zealand. http://www.flickr.com/photos/33654046@N03/sets/72157622741670501/
I haven't been to Camp 18 for a dozen years, the pictures jarred the ole mind. Hard to believe I forgot some of those thing till I saw the pictures. The ex has lots of pictures taken there, thanks once again for sharing.
IMHO, there is no steampot still intact which is more impressive than the last remaining original Lidgerwood Tower Skidder at Camp 6. There are some photos of that machine in this thread: http://arboristsite.com/forestry-logging-forum/138565.htm#post2272112 As some of you may know, this exhibit came from Vail originally, and was on display at WEYCO Longview for quite some time after it was taken out of service. I believe it was Number 5 Skidder originally. Please correct me if I am mistaken. Such a shame it is in such poor repair. I would chip in on a paint job, and perhaps even fly out there and help, if we could organize an effort. It is my understanding that the Lidgerwood Skidder on display at the Cass Scenic Railroad in Cass, WV was actually cobbled up from several different types of machines, so I don't really feel that it counts. Kinda like taking a shower in a raincoat.
actually, the lidgerwood was from longview (they had 4 I believe) then it was on display at longview along with a locomotive, then it went to camp six . I read about this in an issue of "tall timber short lines" a logging modeler magazine that is no longer published. brent
Or you could just look in this thread #43 - HeavyEquipmentForums
Sometimes my reading comprehension comes up a bit short. I apologize. Even so, there were some good pics on that thread on Arboristsite. I have heard more than once that this machine originally came from Vail, and was just on display at Longview. They had two Lidgerwood tower skidders, Number 3 Skidder and Number 5 skidder, I believe. They show a brief bit of film footage of one of those two Lidgerwoods in the Dun McCune documentary on Vail, produced in 1978.
Heads up on Camp 6 in Tacoma A article today in the Tacoma News Tribune states that Camp 6 is closed for the winter and may not reopen again due lack/loss of funding and reduced attendance. Hate to see something like this fall to the wayside.
My picture format is still preventing me from posting the pics here BUT I can tell you about some places here in N Cali that are REALLY COOL! First off theres Roaring Camp RR in the Santa Cruz Mnts (on the web) That for 25 bucks will take you on A roughly hour lonf trip behind one of four geared locos. Shays ,Climax and Heisler!!!! I go often and its worth it! I have many pics if ya wanna email! In Willits Ca they have A swell collection of old iron and have an annual steam up that I will be seeing this year. As you drive further N on 101 you hit Scotia Ca, home of Pacific Lumber, truly amazing time capsule!! I was there three weeks ago and the museum was not open yet but outside was the BIGGEST pull machine I have ever seen. It was A washington and the rigging on it coulda pulled the moon closer if it could be chocked! Plus A climax and A few other things! I am certainly going back! A bit north of K Falls is A neat state run display that I found A ligerwood loader I think its called and lotsa early diesel stuff very neat and in Mariposa Ca theres some cool OLDEN TIMEY gear! If its early tractors and trucks Do not miss the AG museum in Woodland Ca, I have never seen more tractors of all kinds in as good cond as here!! Lotsa Holt Best Cat ect w early serial numbers and lotsa truck stuff as well! Again sorry for not putting up pics but I can email them to ya and you can!
Old Skidder on display in Duncan,B.C. at the forest museum,pic from summer 2010
IHC RD400 series arch truck on display at Prince George Railway Museum
More pics from PG; yellow arch truck is an ex WWII Mack truck, log truck is IHC RD200 series and then a Diamond T truck
More pics from PG Burner!
Theres still a mill in East central BC using a bee hive. It's gonna be taken out in a few years.
I've seen a few still burning(2010)
I remember when there were lots of those around. Like everything else, I guess they've been banned.... I had heard of an extension on the life of some in B.C., but that was quite awhile ago. I hope some get saved up here. Funny thing here in Burnaby last week - they were burning stumps and branches along the major highway construction in the city - they must have had some good bonfires going. I was in a grocery store and the women were complaining of the smell outside - I thought it was great! It reminded me of the late summer days of Vancouver Island when they used to burn slash. It beat the smell of human crap that sometimes fills the air when the dry crust layer on top of the sewage treatmant plant breaks through. Now that is one smell I can't handle.
The smell of wood smoke in the fall and the joy of playing in granddads fir sawdust pile for the furnace. Live was good as a kid in Port.
Not sure how anyone could not like the sweet smell of smoke from a wood fire. It is a smell that reminds me of the out of doors, and that means enjoyable.
Log Loader 1951 Northwest heel boom.Revelstoke B.C.summer 2010.shared pics.
Yarder Its a 1948 ,but not sure what design
Are there any pictures of the Lidgerwood tower in California yet. seen it at camp six like to make trip to willits.
Last I checked on Google Earth, it was still in pieces at the far right end of the lot.
thanks
sitting up in glenwood WA was a drag line sitting in huseum WA
WOW! Huge logs! This looks awesome for me!
A friend of mine who retired from the logging industry several years ago has a strong interest in the history of the use of steam locomotives and the railroads used in the development of logging on Vancouver Island. He has been asked to give a talk on the subject and is looking for more stories and pictures from that era to add to his material. I have tried to do a search to see if there is a thread already started on this subject but there doesn't seem to be. If there is some response from my request I may start a new thread for him. He is not that comfortable with computer use. Thanks.
This is agreat site thanks for starting it Contract ,could you give me the location of Camp 18 got to stop there next time I'm down that way. Took a weekend trip down through Port Angeles , stopped at Forks nice little Museum there . Took a ride on the Centrallia Chehalis R.R. great scenery . Took a ride on the Mt. Rainier R.R. Elbe to Mineral a really impressive shop and display of equipment at the shops at Mineral. Really good pictures of the B.C.Forest Discovery Center Murk got to hook up for coffee some time I spend a bit of time at the BCFDC volunteering. I'll take you in the back door and show you the shops.
Mt. Rainier R.R.
Mt. Rainier R.R.
I think I've mentioned this before, but when I took over the warehouse at Renfrew from old Joe Weekes after he retired I noticed a lot of old parts sitting on shelves that were of absolutely no value to the division anymore, being old locomotive and other railroad related parts, so I got permission from Fred Denman, the Master Mechanic, to weed them out. I decided then to donate a few of the interesting pieces to the museum at Sooke. Should you visit there you'll still see a few of those things with me listed as the donor. I used to get invited to their open house barbecue every year after that. lol Little tidbit for ya. Take care.
If you are talking about the Camp 18 in Oregon it is on Hwy. 26 west of Portland, about half way to the coast the closest town is Elsie.
I would like to know where the camp 18 on the begining of this thread is , I think you've just solved that question , usually my wife and I take a drive down the Oregon Coast each winter ,we'll have to take a side trip and check it out . If you have any other sugestions I would like to hear about them . Thanks for the points of interest already posted.
I was wondering the same thing. The guy that posted made it sound like it was in Alaska when I first read it. Not much logging around these parts other than small outfits.
I knew Contract ment the Washington Oregon area but its a big area , I just wanted to narrow it down a little. This sites great I'll make a list of places to poke around on our way down to Arizona and back this Winter I just hope some of them are open.
Stop by Stewart's Meat Shop in Yelm, WA. Beef jerky, smoked salmon, etc. Great place, and a favorite of the local loggers. You can tell by looking at the floor. Yelm is right beside the old Vail camp headquarters. Not much of it left now, sadly. Here's another great place, if they are still open: historicbrooklyntavern.com Also, the Roots of Motive Power Museum in Willits, CA if you venture down that far. I believe they have reassembled the Lidgerwood tower skidder that came from Camp Six Museum at Point Defiance. That engineering marvel started its life at Vail as Number 3 Skidder, but went to Longview long before my father came to Vail as Camp Superintendent. http://www.rootsofmotivepower.com/
Thanks Vigilant We usually head down 101 to just North of San Francisco then East to Sacramento then South to Arizona, visit friends that are there for the Winter then head North through Reno . This year if their open we would like to go to Santa Cruz and check out a R.R. there if its open . Any how thanks for the info , the more places we know about and support the longer they will be there
Yep. I'm thinking seriously about sending Roots of Motive Power some funds to help paint Number 3 Skidder. It has a special meaning to me. Here's some more iron from Vail that's still running. The last operational Mallet lokie in existence. http://www.1880train.com/locomotive110.html .
If you go to Camp 18 go hungry, as they used to anyway have great food with lots of it. The restaurant is built out of logs with a massive log ridge pole. Lots of antiques old saws and things from the timber industry.
Hey camp tramp, you might look into the timber heritage society to see if they're open when you come through Eureka ca.They have some cool trains and antique logging equipment.its just across the bay from Eureka.only about 5 mins from 101 right next to Somoa cook house(which is pretty cool to look around and good camp style cooking).and there's also Fort Humboldt on the south end of Eureka.it has some neat old logging displays.
Sorry about that its the timber heritage association
Very interesting stuff.My dad was one of the founding members of the Vintage car club of Canada and heavily involved in the BC transportation museum.I grew up around vintage iron,rotten gas and hasn't run for years stuff...I have a fondness for old Iron.....I am wondering if anyone has more pics of the Diamond T logging truck at the Duncan Museum......Cory
I spend a little time around the B.C. Forset Discovery Center I'll try to find some thing , I drove it in a couple local parades this year ,God is that old girl low geared, I don't think it do'es 40 mph flat out . Unfortunatly Bill Simpson the fellow who restored the Diamond T passed away earlier this year , an amazing man even after he lost his legs to diabetes he would still come down to the BCFDC and work at a bench for part of a day doing what ever he could to help out.
Well...that's faster than the speed rating on mine.My data plate says top speed 36 mph.The original Clarke rear end had 6.33 gears and a low reving Hurcules flat head that didn't help things.I put a mid 70's Rockwell 5ton rear end it with alittle different ratio.I also put a mid 50's Brownie 3spd A-box in the truck...There seems to be quite a few Diamond T's on the Island.... I understand Mr.Simpsons desire and motivation....I am 6 months into recovery from a very bad head on collision in my f-250 (freeway speed,both trucks)I had 9 broken bones and 24 stitches to my face...Worst part was the broken pelvis (3 places)....It slowed me down but never really kept me down..Its sometimes very hard to keep someone away from what they like to do........ Pics of the D/T logger would be great. Thanks Cory
Mondays are Volunteer day at the BCFDC if I'm not hauling pebbles around town tomorrow I'll be going over to see whats going on and see if they have some pictures we can post . Check out any pictures from the Duncan Antique Truck Show I dropped it of there on the Saturday after the parade.
What happens on these volunteer days?
On Mondays several volunteers meet and work at several on going projects like restoring a windmill replacing sled under a yarder rebuilding a antique water pump rebuilding a covered rail car replace ties on the rail road setting up or taking down decorations for Halloween or Christmas Trains . Anybody wants to join us your more than welcome just try the office door after 8:00 AM if its not open just knock.
I'm heading off to Vancouver tomorrow - the work week begins. I'll see if I can make my self available sometime down the road.
Sorry diamondguy was at BCFDC today ( started to decorate for Christmas ) they don't have any pictures of D/T and the truck is put to bed for Winter , but I'll keep asking around or get pictures in Spring.
No worries or panic...Just look forward to seeing a pic of it..........Cory
tw B.C. Forest Discovery Center Duncan B.C. Lima Shay locie ,Madill 009 , boom of Northwest log loader on display at enterance
I hope I don't offened anyone or step on anyones toes , but I'm out of pictures for a couple of days , and as I was driving to meet a friend with a couple Western Vancouver Island INDUSTRIAL HERITAGE SOCIETY 2014 Calendar's for me,a thought ocurred to me that I had a stack of out dated calenders with lots of pictures in them . There are a couple of groups of volunteers that work dilligently to restore and maintain the logging history of the Alberni Valley and west coast of B.C. Where on the west coast can you go to see a working steam yarder or a working steam saw mill . THE ALBENI VALLEY.
Mclean Mill
Great idea camptramp, I sure enjoyed the calendar pictures of the old equipment.
ooops
I saw this not sure if it has been posted before but wanted to share it with you. This video was posted on our wall by Don Baston. He said this logging truck, driven by Floyd Veach, pulled 7 loads out of Thompson River drainage in western Montana in the early 1970s, earning Veach recognition in the Guiness Book of World Records. According to Don, “In the early ’70s Claridge Trucking had the task of hauling Anaconda’s logs from up to 100 miles away to the rail head at Thompson Falls. They were able to successfully haul multiple loads down the private Anaconda Logging road to the landing.”Though many drivers in that time period hauled three or more loads at a time, Veach was the the pioneer of the 7-load haul. I got to meet the guy who drove the truck, "Cougar Bill" Widener. The picture was taken in western Montana, the haul road ran along a river, built on old railroad grade. First time I've seen the video, did you notice the push truck in the one scene? Also noticed that the last couple of trailers and dolly's had a pretty strange angle on the reach. Couldn't figure that one out, could have been from the push truck. She was a 379 Peterbuilt with a NTC 380 Cummins, 2 sticks and SSHD rear ends. Don't know what kind of trailers and bunk equipment they used. http://cdllife.com/2013/video/video-logging-truck-pulls-record-7-loads/
dirty4fun That is one very cool video. I think what happened was with the grader doing some of the pushing from time to time maybe on the adverse he was what happened to the last couple trailer reach's. With him pushing he actually caused the reach's to compress . It was just too long to be able to push evenly on them. He didn't do any damage and when they were unloaded they would sit back to where they were when hooked together at the beginning.
Awesome video. But it is a 359 Pete.
Its my under standing that this is legendary South Vancouver Island log hauler Trav Rankin's first new log truck . Found and restored by his sons Richie and Jordie , grandson John and friends of the Rankin family.
Dog gone it camptramp, I saw the picture of the three Hayes trucks from the older to the newer one and thought that was my favorite picture. Being able to see the size difference over the year of improvement is awesome. Then as I kept looking I decided they all could be my favorite, though the Hayes trucks are just the most favorite one. Good idea of sharing the calendar pictures, more enjoyable pictures. Well back to the look once more, thanks. Better make that a bunch more times.
Very nice pics.....Pic 142 shows a "Grizzly" truck.Dont see pics of those trucks very often.Lots of misinformation on the net on the history of "Grizzly"and its management......Still.....I wouldn't mind finding one. Cory
My dad had a pair of 1942 International 6X6 WWII leftovers converted to fire trucks at Vail.
I have also read that Al Peterman was famous for converting old military trucks to logging applications before he bought Fageol out and began to build trucks the way he wanted them built.
diamondtguy PM me if you are really looking for one. The prototype (first one) built is here in town and Jean is looking into parting with it because she is going to be moving and she feels that maybe its time somebody else got to enjoy having it. It is yellow and standard cab. It was Jeff's truck and she has kept it all these years. Jean drives it all the time but most likely to see her cruising around in the summer. It was one of the three that were on display at the Hayes 90th show. There is pictures of it on Hankstruckpictures.com under the Hayes 90th Anniversary Truck Show
A Hay-Mac, eh? First one I have seen. Brockway was also owned by Mack, and used F-Model cabs in their cabovers for at least a while, I'm not sure if Brockway ever had a proprietary cab of their own. For the last 2 years of Brockway's meager existence, they also used R-model cabs in their conventional series trucks. I drove a couple Brockways, and they were the only trucks I ever despised, until I spent more time in later years around Freight Shakers.
I'm pretty much out of Calendars except 2014 which I will post next year . Its my hope that others will post similar posters ,calenders or anything with information on whats happening in your corner of the Pacific Northwest or anywhere's in the world for others who follow this thread live , might learn of an event or place with artifacts and machinery related to the forest industry . The Mclean Mill is a real little jewel you can ride a Steam Train from down town Alberni out to the mill site then watch a working Steam Steam Yarder yard logs and watch a working Steam Saw Mill cut lumber. In closing I'll post a schedule of 2013 events to give you an idea of what they do in a year.
Visited the Sedro-Woolley Museum today. Unfortunately, they were closed, but they had some good outside displays. This one here is the largest donkey they have (and that I have ever seen!). It is a Washington 12x14. Main drum has to be nearly 8 feet tall.
Here is a Washignton Carrriage. And another Washington Donkey, quite a bit smaller then the first.
Skagit BU-30. Powered by a flathead Ford linked to a 3spd I believe.
Random assortment of blocks, chokers, tree shoes, shackles, etc.
Another Washington donkey. This one is a triple drum, 9x10 1/4.
Last one, Skagit MAC yarder. Powerplant is a Fordson tractor I believe.
I think the one with the big drum is a "incline" donkey, for snubbing, and hoisting
Mt. Rainier Scenic R.R.
Mt. Rainier R.R.
Mt. Rainier R.R.
Mt. Rainier R.R.
Mt. Rainier R.R.
All those pics of "donkeys" reminded me of several I worked with over the years, only most of them were heavy duty mechanics. Take care.
Mt. Rainier R.R.
Mt. Rainier R.R.
Mt. Rainier R.R.
Mt. Rainier R.R.
Picked up a couple of T-shirts over the years you might get a kick out of
more
yo camptramp how much are the BCFP shirts?
Only had one gave it to HDX, long out of print . Just treasures I've had hanging in my closet for years.
I understand that these burners were hand made and burn mill waist. does any one know how hot it would get in one of those? just wondering
Forks Timber Museum
Camp 18 Thanks for pointing out Camp 18 good food lots of it and lots of treasures.
More Camp 18
More Camp 18
Looks like Camp 18 has added some more old treasures. Used to eat Easter brunch there, been 15 years since I was last there. Will be stopping by this summer to enjoy all the equipment, and yes the great food that serve also.
Ah yes, the old BCFP T-shirt with the RH driver position in the cab of the truck. Apparently when they made the "pattern" or whatever it's called they neglected to consider it prints reverse when they print on the shirt so they all came out with the driver on the wrong side. Somewhere and somehow I've misplaced mine but I still have my old green BCFP vest. Take care.
Yeah it must have been made for places outside of North America...
The " J J Logging " crew at the Maclean Saw Mill at Port Albernie have been very busy this Spring relocating the Wooden Home Spar Tree and Steam Yarder and Loading Pot , under the carefull guidance of Old Time Hooker , Head Rigger, Woods Foreman Jack James . Head rigger Aaron Thom and Second rigger Gerard Martin performed the rigging duties up the tree.
I'd just like to thank Dave Hooper for taking the pictures at the Maclean Mill and sharing them with us.
Great pictures of them working at getting the spar tree and old steam donkey set up.
1949 Diamond T Logging truck with a Hayes Anderson trailer restored by the late Bill Simpson , and now part of the British Columbia Forest Discovery Center colection of Antique trucks. Today we had it out to the Chemainus Dayes Parade .
Very nice....glad you took all the pictures..Looks like a JX series Hercules engine but could be the next series up...Don't imagine she's very fast..Mine was/is Hercules JX powered and rated for around 36 mph with the single 4spd trans... Don't see too many Diamond T tandems from that era........Cory
What a pretty Diamond T bet it turns a lot of heads!
Thanks for the great pictures
Camptramp, thanks a lot for sharing great pics of Diamond T, what kind of power saw on the back? Sigurd
I don't know but will find out next time I'm at BCFDC.
http://sierraloggingmuseum.org website for museum has lots of old photos and stories
What would be the original sale price of some of this equipment? Especially the hayes trucks? thanks
View attachment 122635 Thought I would post a picture of some tracked arches sitting at the McCloud mill in N. California. These are left over from when McCloud Lumber was RR logging most of the pine country to the east of McCloud. There was a McGiffert loader a mile or so from the mill and I never got a picture of it. Here is another photo of an Insley cable loader with two wheel arches parked next to it. The shadow detail is not great so hope they can be seen.
Had a chance to check at Albernie , the two man power saw on the back of the Diamond T is a Mercury .
Thanks for info Camptramp and museum tips bushman1 Sigurd
Great to see the line of arches. I have been looking for one to couple up with my 2U series D8 to add to my collection of old iron. They used some in the Midwest here but not to the extent of the west and they are few and far apart here. If anybody knows of one up for sale I am interested.
pemberton bc museum
Gordy I., Gordy asked me to post this , but I admit I'm not familiar with organization , could anybody out there tell me a little about it ?
Photo by Bill Elliott , 1956 International R-200 Series engine 406 Diamond Gas owned by Bill Robertson Honeymoon Bay B.C. picture taken at Lake Cowichan Parade May 22 , 2006 .
Gordy I. Gordy's cloned Malloch & Moseley LW 924 Kenworth on its way to Marble Bay Campsite on Meads Cr. Rd. after " Hayes Over the Bay " truck show at Honeymoon Bay B.C. Summer of 2004 . Gordy's LW at Hayes Over the Bay Denis & Yvonne Ruttan with Hayes Forest Service's restored 1939 Hayes . Rankin Family restored 1942 Dodge , this may have been Trav Rankin's first logging truck . At Hayes Over the Bay at Honeymoon Bay B.C. 2004
Great looking trucks.....Thanks
Duncan Truck Show 2006 , Al William's HDX Hayes , parked by Bruce Adam's Pacific .
Duncan Truck Show 2006 , Trav Rankin & Sons Dod ge and Kenworth
Duncan Truck Show 2006 Gordy Isacson's Kenworth .
Duncan Truck Show 2006 , Gordy Neva's HD Hayes .
We need a 'like' button in the worst sort of way.
Rob N. , A Trav Rankin & Sons Christmas card .
Went to the Forest Discovery Center in Duncan today to take some pictures of some very nice trucks at the Antique Truck Show . I had a "Good" and "Bad" day , the bad part was my Digital Camera went south . The good news is that I ran into an old friend Kevin Baird and his wife Lesley-Ann ( anyone from BCFP Bear Cr. or Harris Cr. would have known Kevin's late Grandfather Roland Baird) who I was to learn was the late Bill Robertson's daughter . Bill Robertson had restored a 1956 International Tandem Logging Truck that he had owned and used for many years . After watching the truck sitting around collecting moss for a couple of years at Mesachie Lake , Lesley-Ann and Kevin decided to take her Fathers pride and joy to their home in Cobble Hill , to polish it up for the Duncan Truck Show. By the look of the shined up truck I would say it is in good hands. Not only did Bill do a great job on the restoration , he took pictures that Lesley-Ann and Kevin have loan us , he also let me drive their truck from the Truck Show back to Cobble Hill , made my day . First picture is of the late Bill Robertson with his 1956 International at a Lake Cowichan Logging Truck Parade .
Kevin & Lesley-Ann Baird , Bill Robertson's 1956 International before its restoration .
Kevin & Lesley-Ann Baird , Bill Robertson's 1956 International restoration begins.
Kevin & Lesley-Ann Baird , Bill Robertson's 1956 International Logging Truck being restored .
Kevin & Lesley-Ann Baird , Bill Robertson's 1956 International Logging Truck being restored .
What a great story and set of pictures to go with it.
Good to hear from you Hank
Kevin & Lesley-Ann Baird , Restoring Logging Trailer that goes with Bill Robertson's 1956 International Logging Truck .
Kevin & Lesley-Ann Baird , Bill Robertson standing along side his newly restored 1956 International Logging Truck & Trailer out side his shop at Mesachie Lake B.C.
Kevin & Lesley-Ann Baird , Bill Robertson participating in a Lake Cowichan Logging Truck Parade , his friend Ron who helped with sign painting stands by truck .
Kevin & Lesley Baird , We'll end this as we began with Bill Robertson proudly standing in front of his 1956 International Logging Truck holding a Trophy for his hard work . An interesting part of this story , the logs on his load were taken off his property at Mesachie Lake , after the parade , Bill parked the load for the rest of the weekend , then took the load to Shoal Island DLS Monday morning , and sold it to Timberwest .
Took a drive down Oregon Coast this past weekend August 1/15 , and took a ride on the Oregon Coast Scenic Rail Road along the seashore from Garibaldi to Rockaway Beach , being pulled by a 1910 Heisler Locie .
Oregon Coast Scenic Rail Road .
Gordy I. , Denis Ruttan use to look after Hayes Forest Service's 1939 Hayes logging truck .
Gordy I (Ike Isacson) Gordy Isacson's cloned Malloch & Moseley Kenworth logging truck at Duncan Antique Truck Show , at old Cowichan Fair Grounds .
Braden T. (Swan Neva) (Howie) H.A. Davis Trucking delivering Shay Locie , from Ladysmith to Kaatza Museum in Lake Cowichan , May 8, 1993 .
Toby Hird , Forest Land Industries Cowichan Div. 1991 Forestry Parade , Toby Hird driving B.C. Forest Discovery Centers "Old White" , Mike Fortin driving FLI's #143 an 850 Kenworth .
Boulder Bill / Gordy Isacson 1th picture B.C. Big Rig Weekend - Chilliwack B.C. July 5, 2009 . L-R Ross Stevens , Vic Laughlin , Gordy Isacson . Berndt Dessav , Vic Rawlinson . 3rd picture Vic Laughlin , Gordy Isacson , Ross Stevens , Vic Rawlinson , Berndt Dessav .
Sometimes the forest strikes back.
Don't look like it hurt any thing, and would you notice a new dint anyway. Those old shovels are built tough
075 Yes , No real damage to machine. More a clean up and brush off the debris. Just kind of looked like that tree grew right in that spot waiting for the right time.
I'm not quite sure where this fits in but it is a myth buster for Cowichan Lake. There was a story going around that there was a loci in the middle of Cowichan lake. No one quite knew how it ended up in the lake, so when the Canadian Hydrographic Service that surveys and charts the ocean bottom was sent to multibeam the bottom of the lake (scan the bottom in three dimension) to see if the lake level could be safely raised, they endeavoured to find the sunken loci at the same time. Since I am still involved at CHS Institute of Ocean Sciences I was asked if I had heard the story because they Knew I had worked in Port Renfrew, So search as they did they never found the lost loci. The myth was busted. I am going to attach a picture of the multibeam survey of Cowichan Lake. It's a good story but that is all it is.
Although the boat in these attachments wasn't used a smaller one was. How this system works is like a very,very,very sophisticated sonar system. Sonar will take an image while the ship passes over it and is very limited in use. Think of sonar as your fish finder. Multibeam gives 160,000 images in three-D and is refered to as mowing the lawn. If it is on the bottom and can be found, multi beam will find it. The large magnetic transducers on the ships hull that are scanning the bottom are connected to a multitude of computers that read and store the data to be downloaded at the Institute of Ocean Sciences. The finished product is what you see.
Jeet Sangara , Not sure what year(s) these pictures were taken maybe around 1998 at Duncan Antique Truck Show .
Nice stuff....The little cabover looks interesting..
Jeet Sangara .
Jeet Sangara , Autique Truck Show Duncan .
Jeet Sangara . Antique Truck Show , Duncan B.C.
Jeet Sangara , 4th picture is of Lumber carrier at Saywell P ark Lake Cowichan .
Jeet Sangara .
Jeet Sangara .
As soon as I saw the pic of the 32 Kenworth I recognized her.That is Dennis Montgomerys old truck.I rode around it in numerous times with my dad..I have quite a few pics of her.. Here are a couple pics I took decades ago at Dennis's home.. Nice to see a recent pic of the truck.She has certainly gone through some changes in her long life .
Jeet Sangara .
Thanks for resizing the pic....I have another pic of her with a trailer.I believe it was taken at a truck rodeo...I will go find it..
Your welcome , great when more pictures find their way onto the thread .
Jeet Sangara .
H-17 is still in great shape even if sorting a different paint job, one day it will be back to the original colors and condition, I bet!
Jeet Sangara .
Jeet Sangara .
Boulder Bill , Duncan B.C.
Boulder Bill , Bruce Adam' s Pacific at Duncan Truck Show.
Chuck Carosella .
Chuck Carosella .
Chuck Carosella .
Boulder Bill .
Boulder Bill . Pictures taken at McLean Saw Mill Port Alberni . 2nd picture is a Northwest Grade Shovel converted to a log loader . Not sure of size seems smaller than a Model 6 .
Boulder Bill . 1st & 2nd pictures Vic Rawlinson lowbedding Bill Foresters 1935 Hayes with his 1965 Hayes Clipper to Duncan Truck Show . 3rd & 4th pictures Vic Rawlinson's Hayes & Kenworth parked at Duncan Truck Show .
Couple of Camp 18...
Nice photos MD.
Dave Whiskin Collection 1st picture is Bill Robertson's International Log Truck at Lake Cowichan's 2000 Log Truck Parade . 2nd picture is Bill Robertson in the 2001 Log Truck Parade .
Any idea why it had the front end winch? Was it an ex BC Hydro truck?
I recall Richie Rankin telling me it was an Ocean Concrete Mixer and that Bill Robertson had purchased 2 of them . Bill Robertson I believe logged on the Family property at Mesachie Lake , the roads may have been basic , maybe a winch may have come in handy now and again .
2021 Callendar's are available to support Projects of the Western Vancouver Island Industrial Heritage Society
If any of you are ever passing thru the Columbia Gorge, stop in Stevens County/Skamania at the Columbia Gorge Interpretive Center Museum. They have the usual pioneers/settlers/indian stuffbut they also have TONS of logging and timber and milling stuff. The museum sits on the site of the towns original sawmill and the entryway to the building is lines with 3 stack pilings holding up the roof like an old lokie dump. There is also 5 acres of iron waiting outside to be 'loved on".
I love that place, I can spend hours there. My wife though just gets bored with it and goes and sits in the car after awhile. I told her she is going to just have to wear out the seat when we end up there.
From WVIIHS Callendar pictures from Dave Hooper Collection members of "Boilermakers International" Local 359 hard at work rebuilding Boiler in "No. 7" at the Round House at Port Alberni B.C.
Took a trip up to Port Hardy on the North end of Vancouver Island last Fall . We took a side trip at Saward Junction to Kelsey Bay , just off main Highway there is a display of "Old Logging " artifacts .
More from Saward Junction
More from Saward Junction
More from Saward Junction
Diamond T dump truck with water tank- good old Humphrey