This would, of course, include Crown Forest Products, Fletcher Challenge, and Timberwest. No ex-BCFP iron, please! That belongs in the BCFP thread. I have only this picture of a Crown-Zed P-16 to contribute, so I leave it to Hayesno1 to fill this thread!
P-16 Oops, found one more....
Trakloader Hope a picture shows up of the original Door Logo with the Crown on it back when all their trucks were still yellow PRE 1967
Crown Zellerbach, Clatsop Tree Farm, Seaside Ore I have some old pics scanned off slides from the CZ Clatsop Tree Farm at Seaside, Oregon. The old logo is clearly visible.
CZ Salvage Yarder, Clatsop Operation Check out this little salvage yarder mounted on the D8 Cat. CZ Logo visible on radiator end there..... They are rigging down for a move it looks like. And last, a P&H shovel swinging a big one.
Contract Logger, I got one of those old LM Macks just like the first one you posted with the load of logs on it-The off-set cab makes them look classy.My water tank behind the cab is bigger Thanks for posting the pics The logo was a flashback to long ago
In that last pic there I see when the slides were printed to pictures it wound up backwards! The cab is way over to the right rather than the left there, lol. The one where the truck is being loaded. Someplace in a box I have maybe 150 pictures I took in 1989 at the big CZ RB auction in Ranier, Oregon. There must have been 70+ of the orange trucks all lined up in one row there, still with the stickers on them! Yarders, shovels, everything. I'm in Alaska and that box is in Washington, so I wont be posting those anytime soon:Banghead One of these days, though! Like I say, I have 30 years worth of pics, so keep checking the HEF for the next 10 years
One of the old Franklin River trucks? I've always liked the looks of those LM Macks.
Brand New Washington TL-5C at CZ Cathlamet Washington These are scanned off a brochure, hope they turn out OK. CZ in the States had a ton of Washington gear, a huge fleet of TL-6's, 108's, and 208's. This TL-5C is a neat machine, not too many were built. I have only seen 3 in my lifetime in person, 2 at Weyerhaeuser Vail and one in BC.
I believe only about six of those were built, I heard they weren't powerful enough for big wood, and were always blowing hydraulic lines. Neat pictures!
Great pictures. Contract logger - picture of Sterling truck is great Keep them coming.
More pics of old CZ trucks. I am pretty sure the P16 is an old CZ truck.
What a bunch of tired, sacked out wrecks! It seems to me that all of CZ's old iron went for s#!t when Fletcher Challenge/Timberwest took over. The stuff at their Sandspit operation looked much the same at the end. The few trucks that survive today are pretty run down.
CZ 52-15 1977 or 78 044 CZ 52-26 after rebuild original 52-3? serial 47003
Old CZ Pacific P10, now LLL dump truck
Crown Zellerbach Pics.
Few more.
Great pix - please keep them coming. Somewhere I have a b&w picture showing a ZC P16 with 3 trailers. I'll have to find it an scan evne though I hate scanning pix
Here's a great clipping featuring a CZ truck train. 5 pre-load trailers and 4 dollies under them! Took me a bit of looking to find this. Gotta love it!
In the late 70's Loggers World spent a full issue on the CZ Nanaimo Lakes Operation, its full of pictures and articles regarding all of it. I have a couple of copies and wish they were here in Alaska with me.......but they aren't. I'll round them up one of these days.
Contract logger, Yes great picture - I think driver was Andy Craig(I am not sure of spelling). I think it was only done once. Some kind of bet as I recall One of your pix you osted today shows Hayes HD with 2 empty trailers at top of truck. I have not seen this configuration before - very interesting.
Bella Coola?
Nanaimo Lakes.. 1977-1982 when I worked for CZ they pulled trains" 3 loads was the norm. I also seem to recollect they had Cat logging trucks aswell for pulling the trains. They weren't to sucessfull on steap grades, spun out single rear axle. I can't remember if they were duals or single tires. They kinda looked like a Terex with a pre-load trailer. HDX will know more about this than me, if he doesn't I'll call a friend he'll know. My how times have changed.. a load would come down from the loading side to the Junction drop his load, grab a new trailer back he went. meanwhile back at the Junction they would be hooking up Trains for the 7 mile haul to the A-frame dump at First Lake where they water scaled it, then towed it across the Lk. reloaded onto rail cars, and then off to Ladysmith where they dumped the railcar loads into the chuck, then onto Log barges. Now its all hiway trucks. ( hope this makes sense)
That picture of the 5 loads was a kind of BS type photo The truck stopped farther down the road and unhooked the last two loads and went down and dumped then went back and got the other two loads . Andy Craig was not the driver but he did a really good story on the taking of that picture. We were faced with the same problem at Franklin River when we were pulling trains and pups to the Coleman Dump--the road dictated the number of loads you could pull. When pulling a train the average load was around 80-90 tons of logs The weight of the truck-3 trailers and2 dollys was 100 tons empty so then add the 240-300 tons of logs and that gives you an idea of what was going down the road. Crown "Z" was one of the first companies to use the Williams "Kangaroo Valve" with their truck trains. In 1992 at the ATHS Truck Show in Portland Ore I had the privilage of meeting Norm Williams and spent the better part of an afternoon with him. He just loved the P16s and the HDXs up here -told me how he made different valves for whatever the application. He passed away some years back now but what a neat guy.
Contractlogger Those are uptown pictures of the Hayes HDs There was three of them bought for down there Sold through Automotive Equipment Company 311 NE Oregon Street Portland ORE All 3 trucks were delivered Mar 24 1970 They were HD 31-78 8V71N-- GM engines with Mack rear ends and suspension MACK SWD 5921 and Fuller RTO1213 Trans Trucks were painted "Omaha Orange" 11:00X24 tires S/N 4054--4055--4056
Hayesno1--Sad day today Went up to Campbell River to see Tom Turner at CR Alltrucks. He locked the doors for the last time this afternoon, He phoned me Thur nite and said I better get up there today--We filled the old Ford to well above normal with parts, If you could have seen what he through away you would have wept. The scrap bins were overloaded Like he said people knew he was going to shut her down and never went and talked to him so it went into the bin. He saved a ton of the old stuff for us but like he said "it was time" logging industry in toilet why not just retire. He supplied parts for Mack,Pacific, and Hayes for over 33 years there Before that he worked at HAYES from 1966 And so another Company throws in the towel. BUT that Clown Forest Minister says WE ARE GOING TO RECOVER. IT was him and his pals that totally destroyed the BC Forest Industry. I guess that rant would be best served somewhere else on this forum-- SORRY !!!
I always figured that picture was BS. Hey, that's neat that you got to meet Mr. Williams! If it weren't for him, Washington and Skagit would have had to totally redesign their machines. LOTS of Williams valves, switches, etc. on them!
HDX; that is very sad news. I get mad/confused thinking of all that great stuff threwed away. Anyway glad you saved some of it. I was planning going up there this summer, but I guess there is nothing left now. Just to sad to see another going down. :Banghead So much for politiciens it's the same here in Denmark - but you are right - it better be server somewhere else than on this forum - SORRY to!!!
3 different CZ Hayes HDX preloades parked/retired at Courtenay. All with set forward configuration. Pix were taken 2004. I have posted pix of 2 dump trucks as I think they were old CZ trucks but when pix were taken they "Timberwaste" trucks. Please enjoy Sorry pix must wait as I can't upload at present time. I guess site is not running 100% yet.
upload of pix is okay now
Here is a P16 back in early 80's and a retired HDX used for spares
The Gallows CZ- 'The Gallows', article reprinted from Canada Lumberman, December 1961 _________________________________________________________________ 'The Gallows" saves CZ truck time A simple log structure developed and built by CZ truck loggers has resulted in more efficiency in trucking and a good saving in round-trip trucking time The merits of capital punishment in preventing crime may be debatable, but there is little doubt that the "gallows" in CZ Canada's logging division at Courtenay, B.C., is getting results. The gallows is a simple log structure consisting of two up-rights and a cross-beam. It gets its nickname from the fact that three empty log trailers can be suspended free of the ground from the crossbeam. Purpose of the gallows is to :illow log truck drivers to pick up trailers for "piggy-back" loading and to deposit them without help. Otherwise it is a two-man job. Log truck drivers" back their cabs underneath the trailers and with the aid of the "fifth wheel" lift mechanism on the trucks, pick up or hang their trailers from the gallows. Fifth wheel is key The gallows was built recently as another step in the load transfer system of log hauling which is taking hold here. Courtenay division superintendent Mike Poje explains the system by saying "the truck that brings in a load of logs from the woods will not necessarily be the truck that dumps them in tidewater." Mr. Poje said the system provides more flexibility for the hauling and dumping operations of the division. It is keyed to the fifth wheel or hydraulic lifts with which some log trucks are now equipped. The hydraulic system is used to lift and lower the trailers so that a truck can be backed in or driven out from under. The drivers alone can handle the legs of the trailer when its weight is supported by the lift. Without the hydraulic fifth wheel, a crane or other means of hoisting the trailers is needed for coupling and uncoupling. Drivers must also have the guidance of another man for this operation. As an illustration of the usefulness of the gallows and the load transfer system, Mr. Poje said that a loaded log truck arriving at the divisional centre about 3 p.m. could not dump his logs and return in time to make another trip to the woods. Big step forward in logging "It's 10 miles return to the dump at Royston," he said, "and by the time he got back here it would be too late to complete a trip for more logs." Under the new system, however, the driver lifts up his trailer-load of logs with the fifth wheel, puts down the logs and leaves the load standing. He then drives out from under the trailer and over to the gallows, where he takes on an empty trailer, again with the aid of the fifth wheel. Now he is all set for a trip to the woods and another load of logs. His first load, meanwhile, can be hauled to the dump by another truck — either the same afternoon or later. The load transfer system was introduced into the woods several years ago and has been tried out at a number of operations on the west coast of Canada and the United States. It has been described as the greatest forward step in logging since the advent of truck logging. Although more elaborate methods of suspending pre-load trailers are in use elsewhere, idea for the simple yet effective gallows at Courtenay belongs to Pete Rennie, mechanical supervisor of the timber department. It was built by Courtenay's master mechanic, Larrv Lehtonen and truck foreman Garry Grant. •
Here it is Cat Truck !!!
Now that is a great pic! This is the reason I love this forum-- for the pics to remind us of things people did, or tried to do, that few remember, and fewer even know about.
Euqlid Truck and big Sruce CZ Sanspit
All hail murk!! Murk, you are THE MAN!!! :notworthy Where was the picture of the Euc taken?
Hauling log for A-frame log dump Sanspit and arival of new truck
This is one those old Madill (tank retriever??) towers having a bad day...Nanaimo Lakes CZ
These pics are at the Junction Nan. Lakes, lowering the old trailer loader before the pre load trailers were around... We believe it was a Burrard Tower??
Great pictures Torkel - keep them comming. I recall I saw 2 Terex 4x2 logging trucks parked in Squamish in summer 2000. Sad to tell, I did not take any pictures
Murk100 The Cat Truck was something else. We had one as a demonstrator up here. Went to Cameron Division in 1968. George Hertel drove it for a while I did not know that they had one running around with a 5th wheel or if it was the same truck with the bunk taken off and a 5th wheel stuffed on it for Crown Z. Was that picture at the Lakes or Courtenay? I will scope out the photo I have of the Cat truck at Cam Div. I will try and figure out how to post pics HayesNo1 and Trakloader said they would help
It as at Nan. Lks seems to me they had 2 or 3, I'll try to find out for sure and the years they were there
Yep! they had 3 Cat trucks 2 had longer frames to smooth out the ride (didn't work) They also had hyd. steering which sucked like a wiggle wagon I guess...
Here is an article from CZ News 1964 (hopefully you can read it) PM me if you wan't a better copy. To bad we have to shrink stuff so small !!!
All the pics in the next few entries were givin to me from a retired mechanic from the Ladysmith shop, he worked on built or modified all of these Yarders Loaders etc etc.. thanks Harry Nanaimo Lks. built at Ladysmith shop this yarder was mounted on an old rail car they would back the D-8 Cargo off and tow it place to place not to successfull to heavy.......the tower off it was the Burard tower I posted earlier in this thread
More Ladysmith home made towers
More coversions
More line loaders
Log Barge
1st Lake Nanaimo lakes
Some old steam donkey pics Harry has from Comox Logging.. thats it for now
Is that how the barges where unloaded?
Great pictures. Thanks for sharing them Murk100 (and Harry). I like those homemade towers/conversions. The Diamond T is pretty neat. I totally agree with you Murk100 re. scrinking pictures:Banghead
Yep! they would flood the tanks on one side until she dumped.. Here is a pic of one of the methods for loading them later on they built log barges with cranes for self loading, some where in this forestry forum there are pics of the self loaders..
Your welcome !!! We all have to get busy and track this history down before its lost and thanks to the internet we have a place to store it for everyone to enjoy....
P16 with 3 trailers back in early 80's. This is unit #40-91. This truck is still going strong I think.
Nice pic!! looks like Nanaimo Lakes to me. I seem to remember they had some Pacifics with two 8-71 connected together to make a 16-71 I'll find out more on this.
a question for contract logger and others I have been hauling off a job where a 188 Washington is yarding and a Barko 550 is loading, my question is what do you think of rubber mounts as both of these machines are. In my thoughts i see them as unsafe considering a 100,000 plus pound machine with a puny detroit lower and truck brakes? I have had the pure unluckiness of seeing a 550 Barko on a 4 axle carrier run away and roll over. Just wondering what you think.
Rubber mounted equipment used to be alot more popular 20/30 years ago than it is today, that's for sure. I actually like a rubber-mounted shovel for loading, as they are far more stable and will pick heavier logs than the crawlers will (assuming you use your outriggers properly). For moving between landings and cleanup they cannot be beat. The downside is on a tight landing the carrier does take up more space. If only for loading logs, my ideal machine is carrier-mounted, with at least one hydraulic winch (so the chaser can get the ones over the bank and out of my reach). with a yarder it doesnt matter much, and I still prefer rubber there too. By the 1980's hydraulics and track undercarriages had progressed to the point that you could actually get off the road to your logs, and crawlers took over. Most people now would never buy a rubber mount loader just because so often you are allowed to get out and log with your shovel off the road. It's just personal preference. I have owned and/or used alot more crawler mounted machines than rubber, no doubt about that! The power issue varies from carrier to carrier, and you do need to adjust the brakes for them to work, that is for sure. I never had one get away. It would be really neat if you could post some pics of these machines for us!
Thanks for the reply i do have pics from last week if we can figure out how to get em on here. and to add just a piece of my history i started out logging in the late 80's on a cat d7 17a hated that thing then we got a 777 skagit even more of a mechanical nightmare loved to break the double steering tires off every time you moved it, then came the tmy45 trailer mount great yarder bad engine 903 cummins more than once we just put oil in everything since it couldnt keep oil out of water or vice versa. As for this subject i do believe the Barko is on a Pierce carrier and i do know these two always move with a 46A hooked to them or close by. Wish i had pics of the 777 its the only one i have ever seen, actually watched it pull itself over more than once.
And further i have worked around the rubber loaders alot in fact you have a pic of a thunderbird on a carrier we used when i worked at Erickson, we were logging in hayfork ca then, we had two 892 deeres on carriers also, they loved to break the frame in half, also been around a 600 prentice on a Lanco carrier. Anyway the deeres were the end of the carrier mounts. 330 cats and 840 thunderbirds followed but thats a whole different story.
Thought it was time to bring this thread up again! Does anybody out there remember when Crown Z use to take their equipment from NitiNat to Coleman Dump (Franklin River) and load it on the barges to take up to their winter show at Kuyuqot?? Wonder if there is any pictures of the barge that turned turtle in the storm and they lost all that stuff--Grapple Yarders and trucks and a bunch of other stuff. I was told they sent underwater cameras down to look and it was a mess. Decision was made to leave it there. Told there was a Grapple Yarder sitting on top of Ian Browns P16 supertruck. Maybe we could get DR Ballard(guy that found the Titanic) to go up and see whats left now
And they make such a deal about the Ted Leroy equipment underwater lol. I cant even imagine what there is for the amount of logging equipment that is in the ocean right now... HAHAHA
Thank you all for posting all this material about this company. I only have the book Finley Hayes put together and really was interested in more info on the workings and ect. It makes me happy to find out how many people the founder actually put to work. From VERY humble office in San Francisco to seemingly giving Weyerhauser A run fer er... Cool!!!!
I have seen pictures and watched the Pacific Company video that shows the CZ Pacific P-16 "Super Trucks". What makes them "Super Trucks"? Where they any different than a regular P-16?
I finally need to ask; does anybody have the CZ book Finley Hays did in 1970 for their centennial? I dug mine out. I do it every few years, not just for the stories but the ads for up to date equipment…. I have no way to scan it, to enter it here. The book is primarily Washington and Oregon. The best add is the Lynnwood Porta tower, one of the “newer” machines I got to work under. Too bad it is standard newspaper format with B&W photos.
Are you sure you are not referring to the TL5H? I saw the prototype model at Vail in about 1971 or so. I was just a wee lad back then, but I sure remember that machine, and the maintenance nightmare it was. I recall hearing the mechanics comment about the fact that the hydraulic system was pretty much a huge entanglement of hoses. IIRC, they loaned it to Weyco for free in exchange for testing and evaluation, but Weyco didn't seem to think they came out too well on that deal. I believe it was powered by a 6-71.
A answer for Murk100...We built quite a few P-16's with 16V71TT (???)engines.They are indeed 2 8V71's married together. Cory....(Pacific Truck 1977-1987)
I think they had a 3412 Cat engine and heavier rear ends. HDX will know more about them.
Im not sure what "Super Trucks" you mean There was three over at Crown Zs NitNat division and they had the V16 71TTs in them and the Cotta Trans was installed after. There was three P16 PreLoads built for Franklin River Division in 79 and they came with the 3412 Cat engines and they were the only ones with the 3412s as far as I know. Only reason they were even built with those engines was because they were going to pull "Pups" (two loads of logs) at a time from the old NitNat shop now called BR57 to Coleman Dump. Whole thing was a bad idea because even though they were capable of unreal HP they were cut way back because the 60-61 Allison Trans would not take that kind of horsepower. They had bulletproof rear ends SPR 570s but still the weak link was the trannys The Cat engines were a gazillion dollars if anything went wrong with them Of those three trucks I was told H92 was cut up for parts and H93 went to the oil fields and H94 went to Georgia. H92 was the Franklin Lowbed truck for many years and she had a Cotta trans in her also for a while.
Thanks, HDX! I think one of our P-16's was supposed to be a "supertruck", it seems to have a larger engine compartment, and had a really thick rad. The hood is higher than on our other P-16's, too. It was quite noticeable when the truck was parked by the other Pacifics. I think they swapped some parts and it now has the hood and rad from a different truck.
I think Crown Z had the market on the big rear ends in their P16s We still have several with 121s and SPR570s. Looks really neat to see the big diffs and look under the hood and there is a buzzin duzzin with twin turbos. AND two 6 inch exhaust pipes Just takes your breath away LOL. All these old girls have done their hard time. Think how many drivers they wore out!!!!
I was there when we built the three 3412 Powered P-16's.You are correct about the HP.Cat came in and detuned the hell out of them so the Allison could cope with the Cat torque curve..I believe Coast Powertrain has one of the remaining trucks and has rebuilt it(I have seen pics)I also well remember doing 16V71TT P-16's..We also built (Mac-Blo I believe)three trucks with the much bigger 12V92...I am pretty sure these are the P-16's we widened the frame rail spacing 4 or 6 inches.. Cory...(Pacific Truck 1977-1987)
CZ stuff Some barging pics, and some old CZ stationary with the old logo.
Those three trucks also had air throttles Now that was Bizarre to drive them Dont get me wrong here im not a closet P16 driver but every now and then we would drive one of them for a day while our REAL trucks were being detailed in the shop and the P16 driver was away. Karl Breidenbach got H92 new and kept her till he retired in 98 Les Nelson got H93 and Luke Weber got H94 he also retired in 98. After Luke retired Gary Cathers got old H94 and it went to Inland Kenworth in Nanaimo and was rebuilt. She came back as a lowbed truck for a couple years and replaced Karls H92-- Then the trucks went through a bunch of drivers till finally sold in 2002
Wonder what ever happened to their tug the Jervis Crown????? Think it was one of the last ones they had built not sure
Tugs
The Jervis Crown is now the Seaspan Monarch.
COOOOOL, Neat machines you fellas got to work around
1984 Madill 044 Been looking to bring this thread up to speed!!! Fletcher Challenge 52-48 serial# 60116 still in service now owned Beban Logging.
I find it amazing that these GIANT machines are in the woods yanking on the stuff they pull! In my area just putting a 25 ton crane up it is leveled perfectly and all that... These monsters on those logging roads and operating in less than ideal spots... CRAZY COOL. Thanks for sharing Murk100
Loading Barge, 1970's I believe this was CZ's "HECATE CROWN" with the self loading barge "CROWN ZELLERBACH No. 1". The "CZ No. 1" is still in service as the "SEASPAN HARVESTER".
HDX; More pics of CZ truck - #CSP11
Pics of ex ZC #40-56
Hayesno1 CSP11 S/N 8093462 was part of a 7 truck order first was an HD 32-48 Hayes s/n 8063457--- had an 8V71N engine and 10:00x22 tires and went to Bella Coola operation-- next was May 30/68 was HDX model 45-88 s/n 8073458 and sister truck s/n 8073459 both these trucks were preloads with winch loading trailers 12V71N engines and 70'000 lb rears both went to Beaver Cove operation Then July 4/68 two more HDX 45-88s s/ns 8083460 and 8083461 were delivered to to their Ladysmith operation also preloads with winch trailers finally the last two were HDXs s/n 8093462 and 8093463 were delivered to Courtenay operation Aug 7th and Aug 12th 1968 All these HDXs were specd out the same I went through my pics and CSP12 was ex Crown Z unit # 40-56 also became 36-125 CSP 11 was 40-55 and then became 36-123 That should keep you busy for a while LOL
HDX; Great, great again. Thanks for all information. I am impressed of your knowledge.
5 trailers on 1 truck 350.000 pound load crazy
Another shared pic from HX showing a Pacific Crown Z truck at Courtenay 1984
Sorry - shared pic from HDX!
Any one have any pictures of CZ when they were up in Kitimat. They were here until the early 80's and then left. I have seen a pic of one of the off highway trucks in a parade and have one of a P16 hauling logs on the QC, Islands. Need to learn how to scan and upload to this site. LOL
Shared pic of CZ unit #40-50. It's a Hayes HDX with sander box. I shot some pics of sander box when it was scrapped at LLL shop. I'am not sure if it was on the same truck! Thanks for sharing.
Now THAT looks like an ancient Pacific.
I tried looking that Pacific up in the serial number books that I have scanned for Pacific Truck, there was no listing of this particular truck, but there was a bunch of trucks built for CZ between 1955 and 1958...
J have all the data on her but for safety sake I will keep it here so it dont end up on another site!!!!!!!
Re. post #91 I thougt I had pics of same sander box, but I was wrong. Pics show sister truck CZ unit #40-51. It seems to me it is a set forward Hayes HDX model. Pics were taken at LLL shop in summer 2005.
Hayesno1 That Smith Sandbox was the 17 yard box but what they did (Timberwest) was add the 12 inch lift kit between the top of the sandbox and the screen This gave more volume of sand that it would carry. Usually these box's were mounted on flex frame trucks with say 46-40 rears and 12:00X24 tires but when they were phased out and they replaced them with the rigid frame trucks they were far more stable and thus would carry a bigger load of sand.
Euclid Pre-load truck 1960 This truck is a Euclid pre-load truck with a 50 ton Columbia pre-load trailer . On the door its has Comox logging and Railway out of Courtenay , truck number is hard to read , the first 3 numbers are unknown ???-16. I asked HDX about this truck . He thought this truck maybe hauling down in Ladysmith since Comox logging and Railway were big down there around that time . Crown Z bought out Comox logging so all the operations became Crown Z camps ,this is why i'm posting these here .Anyone with extra info please post
Cool, an R18 logger! Do you have any more pictures of it? I'm guessing probably not but I thought I would ask...
YEAH LOGBIG- Check out POWERTRANS.net when you have time, truly amazing stuff!!! Massive payloads going on Downunder!
Think that it for the truck , but may have some of the yarder.
Here's some pictures of the same landing that the pe-load euclid is in . The loader is a Northwest with the number 18 on counterweight ,it's loading a pre-load trailer. The yarder i have never seen anything like it ,it has a odd fairlead system on top of the pipe . Pictures taken in Feb 1960.
Looks like a early Madill or Berger
Lynnwood Equipment Inc. which was in the northend of Seattle made one also. I believe they went out of business in the late '70s. I saw an ad for one in Loggers World around '68 or 69. LEI also made tilt trailers and other misc. equipment.
Berger Tube & Guy Lines That tube with the Banjo top on it has Berger written all over it. You can see a good example of it on the Berger thread. Also you can see the 2 part block purchase guy lines, Berger made many of their machines with that set up. It looks like only 4 guy lines, am I seeing that correctly? That can't be right.......gotta be one out front at least...... Interesting that the tube was made In three bolt together sections. I wonder if that was factory? I've not seen another one like it. Thanks for posting it.
Nice images on this thread. I've enjoyed looking those logging truck and other machines pictures. Those equipments can really done lots of jobs.
When F C moved the 40-90 40-91 40-96 P16's from Nanimo Lakes to HBO they left one P16 for a lowbed I think it was the 40-98 and I'm petty sure it had a V12 92 in it ,with the hi low spliter box in the drive line.
Don Yates photo's Diamond Tguy You would remember this one!
To be honest I don't...If I knew more about it the little details might jog my memory.It appears to be air start so that really narrows it down..I lost my little book that I wrote all the info down in along with its job number which later became part of the serial number (consecutive unit number)I do remember that I helped assemble (mechanical and hyd) over 50 P-16's...I see a few things out of the norm on it...Is it one of the 12V92 trucks...
diamondtguy This was one of the Crown Z supertrucks that went to NitNat in the late 70's They came with the "Cotta" aux trans behind the 6 speed Allison and the V16 GM engine's
Well...I remember doing a few V16 trucks but my mind draws a blank on the Cotta aux trans.I have seen it mentioned here and the name rings a bell but I just cant picture one...Does it still excist........Cory
You can see the Cotta underneath the truck. The Allison was bolted to the rear of the engine and then the cotta was remote mounted behind that. Quite a bit of tinkering to get them in. No I have not seen one around for a number of years but that does not mean there is not still one around someplace. You can also see the air tank under the passenger side running board that was the air supply for the air starter I will phone Ian Brown from over at Crown Z's NitNat camp He got one of them new. It was a beautiful truck and he really looked after her BUT she was on the fateful barge that never docked again!!!
Just got off the phone with "The Black Prince" Good to hear from an old Crown Z guy. He will fill in a lot of the blanks about the Crown trucks and specially the NitNat Division trucks He was saying that the two trucks lost on the barge were 40-87 His truck (121's V16 GM) and 40-92 (121's and a silver 92 GM)His father in law's truck. These two trucks were later replaced with 40-98 and 40-99. 40-99 had a number change almost right away due to the "Code 99 emergency radio number" So it became 40-100 At least we will now have a guy we can go to when we find a picture of one of their trucks and we need!!! Great way to figure out the truck history of Crown Zellerbach Welcome to the forum "BLACK PRINCE"
To HDX,the BLK PRINCE has made contact.Looking to pass on any info that may help.
I LOVE IT Welcome BLK PRINCE You are finally back home!!!!
BLK PRINCE: maybe you can remember some of these old girls and their original numbers. Pictures were taken at Ritchie Bros. auction in Chemainus.
One on the bottom was 40-90 delivered to Nanaimo Lakes 1978-79 .It went to Russ Davis from Nanaimo as part of a three truck group,40-89 40-90 40-91. Courtenay got 40-88 and I got 40-87 . Also 40-92 came to Nitinat The lowbed in frames 1 & 2 was not Nitinat as ours was not replaced when barge sank,Nanaimo Lakes lowbed did not have frame on the front for boom rest.It would have come from Courtenay or Beaver Cove
OK will post more pics I took up at Beaver Cove When Ronnie Vaux was a side rod there for Leroy
The P16 Pacific hooked to the blue lowbed ( Pacific loggings lowbed from Masachie Lake ) is the #40-96 the P16 Pacific above it with the blue radiator is the #40-90 .
If you expand the picture of the one hooked to the blue lowbed at the bottom of rad you can see the old numbers 40-90.The 40-95 and the 40-96 were both new to Nanaimo Lakes. Jack Donaghy got 95 and Billy Mosher got 40-96 .
The first two pictures were from Courtenay I was just testing you guys LOL She was parted out in Sarita but her remains are still very salvageable so IPL is thinking about a major rebuild down the road. She had SPR 570's in her and they are long gone for parts but there is still 91,000 sets still around so it would be a good fit. Good frame Good cab and water tank. We lost one of our P16 conventionals in May to a bad job of ditching her so between them enough for a good P16 Time will tell
I'll come and help..........Cory
I drove the #40-96 off and on from 1993 to 2001 ( sometimes I drove leased highway trucks sometimes I drove the #40-96 off highway ) if you look real close at the top side of the rad you can see the Signiture 600 Cummins emblem that was put in at Gordon R. in the late 1990's if you could see the drivers side door you would see a NASCAR Craftman Truck Seires decal I put in the no draft window. The truck above it has a blue rad that was off Pacific Loggings old P16 Pacific they used for their lowbed truck its the #40-90 , when Timberwest sold TFL 46 to Teal Jones those 2 trucks were kept for the private lands . They were sold to Munns when Munns took over the Private lands , they were at the auction when Munns went broke.
Re post #115 pic 1&2 - these pics I took in Courtenay summer 2005 - same truck. Look at top of rad guard. Pacific has all most been hidden a metal plate. Plate says "Carter". Maybe drivers name?
More pics of same truck. Plate on lowbed I think says "Willock"??
BLK PRINCE Do you remember these? This was Coleman Dump.
I took all these at Beaver Cove when everybody was pulling out. Do you remember any of them?
More Beaver Cove.
Beaver Cove.
Last of Beaver Cove pictures.
The Hayes Preloader is the hydraulic style same as yours. What do you think is the story behind the big honking air cleaner? May also have the built in fire suppression system
Did you see anything from your past at the Coleman Dump???? If I remember right you hauled all that stuff in there on the lowbed
This is the return of the crew from Kyuquot for the last time. This was the joint crew of Nitinat andNanaimo Lakes. The trucks from Nitinat would have their full hood skirts. These trucks were from the Lakes as they did not like full skirts. This was after the barge sank in 1980. Can you put a date on this?
Nice pictures...The Pacific pre-loader in #127 looks like he missed the mark trying to push something.....Cory
Something about original CZ units is that except for 40-87, all trucks had an orange hood which for most of the trucks was done in a flat shade.
On the final pics of the trailer, what is the steel between the ramps for?
That is the push bar. When you are moving anything really heavy you will have a "PUSH TRUCK" in other words it will be an empty logging truck of sometimes a D9 Cat pushing you up the mountain or up a steep pitch in the road and this is the bar he will put his front bumper against and push. It gets very interesting if you have two well tuned drivers moving say a log loader and you can get going at a very high rate of speed. I have pushed in 6th and lockup and never thought twice about it but that only happens with a lowbed driver you depend on. If it is dusty you cant even see the back of the lowbed so you stay right on that bar and focus on one thing like maybe something on the back of the lowbed itself because you cant see anything I mean nothing but dust and if for any reason you lose sight of that spot you better just stand on the brakes because you could well end up in the bush's. It is just a feel thing
If you are referring to the Lowdeb pictures,the bar between the two ramps is a push bar for the truck following the lowbed around.The push truck comes up tight against this and pushes the lowbed up hills. As the lowbed ramps are lowered,so is this push bar and whatever machine needs to get on or off the lowbed climbs on or off.oops,about two minutes late.
diamondtguy He was probably pushing a rubber tired log loader and what happened was they went through a big dip in the road and the loader counterweight got the brushguard.Not all the loaders had the good spacer blocks welded on the back of the machine so your rad and brushguard are the first thing that takes the hit. You very rarely saw this happen when regular drivers were on these trucks but near the end of it all just about everybody that could move a truck was a driver or a push truck driver and this was the result. Like I said in the above post it was a feel thing for doing all this with these trucks. It was worse with a HAYES HDX because they didn't have the room in front of the rad that the Pacifics did
I understand the push bar principle and the grille guard but it looks to me like the whole front end of the truck including the cab is pushed back......Cory
Well put HDX when I use to push Tom Worth I was the Power and he was the brakes until we hit a hill. At that speed you never left the push bar because if you got ten feet behind the push bar and the lowbed driver brakes your going through the windshield. We sure use to make some quick moves. LOL
No diamondtguy It is just that this was one of the new swept back versions of the P16 Just the brushguard ding Put a couple small chains on it and pull it back out with another truck NO PROB!!!!
Great postings HDX; I love that equipment with orange color. At post #128 and #129 there are pics of P16´s with a little plate - half circle - mounted at front of headache rack. It seems to me it is placed in centerline of truck. What was the purpose of this plate?
Hayesno1,that plate was added on after she left Nanaimo Lakes.Truck was 40-95,Jack Donaghy and sister 40-96,Billy Mosher,came new to Nan. Lakes. As Nitinat and Nan. Lakes closed and joined together,excess equipment was scattered. This one,40-95 ended up in Beaver Cove.It was a long haul from Beaver Cove to Kyuoquot and this may have been a mount for a satellite to track the lowbed.If I can find any drivers left from Beaver Cove,I will find an answer.
Crown Z from pacific corp vid.
Top picture is hauling on mainline at Nanaimo Lakes,their trucks did not like hood skirts,2nd and 3rd pictures were Nitinat truck,note full hood skirts,and looks like 40-92.
BLK PRINCE, thanx that makes sence.
HDX,in post 126 and 128 theis a Hayes,two different ones,both have a narrow section of hood skirt on Driver's side. I did not notice on others,why is it there?
Blkprince I went and looked at that also when I was there and it didn't seem to do anything except give the rad and fan a little more protection. I have to go and check my pictures because if memory serves me right this truck was low bedded down from Campbell River to the scrap yard in Cassidy and cut up. When you haul past there next time look in the yard next to scrap yard on the airport side and you will see the cab sitting on the ground there.
more fantastic subjects to model & so little time..... Great thread, as with many others here in the Forestry section. Keep it up guys! Ap40
Retired Hooktender Rusty Burrows loaned me this picture of a 009 Madill steel tower he hooked on when he worked for Bert Brown ,a contractor for CZ Nitinat Div.
This is the "combination" I spoke about.
Euclid Pre loader CL&R 16 A picture of this truck from 1959/60 on Branch 22, Comox Lake just showed up on one of the Facebook sites. I'm new to this forum and can't post pictures yet. I have a few pics of CZ related logging, that I will have to scan and post. I'll try to follow up with a copy of CL&R 16 if I can find it!
Carter Plate on P16 My Uncle was the driver on this truck from around 1994 with TimberWest(Fletcher Challenge back then?) until about 2008 when it was sent to Sarita, as Island Pacific Logging replaced Hayes, as the contractor for WFP. I believe it was new to Courtenay Division as the 40-97, there was an "In Service" date penned above the drivers door of October 14, 1980. My Uncle started with CZ, Courtenay in 1974 and when he started on the trucks, it was on 40-25 an Hayes HDX, still in "Comox" yellow. I will have to harass him for his old pictures to scan, and post a few of my own from riding with him.
Welcome Aboard Pacific Coast Looking forward to pictures of Crown Z Blk prince is also a life long Crown Z employee. Good to see all the big ones on here . Maybe if I post a few of the pictures of Crown trucks at the "Y" shop yard maybe he could identify them The one's I took were probably just before the scrap guys came in. They were there being parted out for a long time but maybe your uncle can tell us about them Again WELCOME
Thanks for the welcome HDX. Yes it is very interesting to not only identify the trucks as they evolve over the years, but recognize the long line of drivers that took their turn behind the wheel and their stories. This "human connection" can be the most satisfying part of the history. It is also great to see some of the people that had a hand in building or designing these trucks still displaying the pride of building something to last, right here in BC. Now back to trucks! Local legend tells that CZ 25 and 26 were the first trucks built for Courtenay Division specifically to pull trains(two trailers). They were also known for being the first Courtenay trucks to have upholstered door panels! Oh the luxury! Can anyone out there confirm any of this? What year were these trucks built and were they indeed HDX models?
Pacific Coast,welcome. I cannot tell much about Courtenay Div. I was Nitinat man . I know Nan.Lakes had 40-27 and 40-28 which were Oacifics 335 Cummins,5&4 trans and planetary rears. Then came 40-29 with same running gear but in a Hayes. Took a while before first V12 to come to Nitinat,a Pacific,40-40 the seesaw with Pacific and Hayes in all divisions.would to know make and company numbers from up there.
Comox Logging & Railway Euclid Preload 1964 Here is a picture of CL&R Euclid #16 on Branch 22, Comox Lake 1964, This picture was posted to Facebook by Tom Miller, who is up on the load.
Some Comox yellow I'm also interested in the railway logging era too, so here is one that kind of combines both era's. Nanaimo Lakes Operation, Nanaimo River 1968.
The Blk prince and I have got to gether to post his pictures , I'll post and he"ll tell you what they are. CZ Nitinat The first one is his 1st. truck #205-2 Pacific preloader. The 2nd picture is the #205-2 being loaded by a Skagit-999 after boom change. operator Jim Dalman.
Blk prince CZ Nitinat Skagit Slackline tower #4 loader Skagit SJ-7 truck Olsen's #1 HDX Hayes.
Blk prince CZ Nitinat #52-2 Madill Grapple Yarder new
madill 144?
Madill 044
monster machine i wonder if anyone have 1 like this still hit me up blk prince
One sitting at Middle Point north of Campbell River. Was still there yesterday doesn't look like it's going anywhere soon.
The Pacific sure looks good. Tell me old friend Did you back the steering stops off just a tad???? Looks more switchback friendly in the picture. Seems she would turn pretty tight corners. We had a couple 848 KW's that had to be yanked around some corners
Blk prince CZ Nitinat P16 Pacific #205-5 later renumbered #40-52 Madill grapple yarder #52-5
Blk prince more #205-5 , 52-5
Blk prince Nitinat
Blk prince CZ Nitinat First Juicer Poclain operator R. Sundberg
Is that a really early P16? I have never seen pictures of one with fenders like that. Great stuff! Reg
RCP57,yes that is an early P16. She arrived in Nitinat in 1968 with preload trailer.
HDX this old girl had many drivers before me. If stoppers were turned,it was before I got her. Never had an issue with switch backs. Was wore out and I was on Br. 30,just left loader and frame broke on both sides. Old girl had "C" frame and had not been broke in past. When repaired it went on to be a fire truck.
Love this!!! I operated this machine. Oh ya she's as heavy at it looks. #47002 April 1969 on the build list. I think the boom is heavier than the machine I run now..lol... I think that other GY 52-5 could be #47011 on the build list its CZ Nitinat. thanks BLK Prince and camptramp
the machine looks big
Murk,thanks for your input. I have help from Camptramp in posting. There will be a picture of GY 1 with the left hand cab. I was in Nitinat from 1967 until 1980 when we closed and joined N.Lakes in Kyuquot.
Log big,yes they were large,not possible to haul on highway. Ours came by railcar from Nanaimo to Ladysmith via CPR. Then hooked to CZ Locie and taken to Nanaimo Lakes. Then lowbed would take from Lakes to Nitinat or any other operation that wanted to use this route. Some would go by barge then walk off onto beach and onto lowbed.
cool blk prince you don't see this logging in Montana i would like to see some logging in BC like you leagndary loggers
Blk prince Love the 4 pics on post 167 Good view of loading the machines on the lowbed Walk them on till they heel over forward and look like they are going to fall flat on their face and you know that is point of balance Swing them sideways and chain them down!!! It was Great!!! We were moving a Northwest Log Loader like this one day (I was the pushtruck) and when the operator swung the loader sideways to walk it off and the turnbuckle broke and she went over backwards sat back on the counterweight. Old bohemian boom went over backwards jammed into the stops with the grapples laying on the guarding in front of the windshield. It was the most amazing thing I had seen up till that day
The real loggers are the ones who could get her back on her feet with only a couple blocks,straps and three stumps.
And they did!!!
I must say Camptramp is doing an awesome job on my behalf. To you I say Thank-You!
Blk prince CZ Nitinat #40-52 P16 Pacific.
Blk prince CZ Nitinat #40-52 P16 Pacific lowbed with # 52-01 Madill grapple yarder " note cab on left side of machine" operator Archie White.
Blk prince CZ Nitinat
AWESOME again !!!!! I bumped into Archie's son the other day and never thought to ask him about pictures...thanks guys
Blk prince CZ Nitinat #40-52 P16 Pacific Branch - 01 note ramp's for loading trailer up to water tank
Blk prince CZ Nitinat #40-52 P16 Pacific
Blk prince CZ Nitinat Tower is a little out of lead haulback might not spool.
Blk prince CZ Nitinat pictures 1 and 2 Cat Truck #40-68 up Nitinat access Rd. to Nanaimo Lakes Fred Gilson driver , picture #3 Cat Truck #40-68 pulling lowbed , picture #4 #40-75 Hayes HDX loading on Nitinat Access Rd. driver Bert Gilson.
Blk prince I saw a couple preload trailers down at your NitNat Shop one time and they had like a third stake right in the middle of both bunks. Was this some kind of a load splitter??? Looked like you could get two small loads on them perhaps an experiment!!
HDX,hello. Yes we had a preload trailer with third stake. It also had a 35ft reach. It was made for hauling long poles. It was a real treat to turn around in a landing.
In the last picture notice the wide bunk but narrow inside stakes. These trailers were built for original Hayes and Pacific preloaders but Cat trucks were too wide so the legs were stretched to fit.
We had the same problems with the 3 big Pacifics when they came All our trucks were standard 11 foot wide and all the preload trailers were built for those and then those three showed up and they had the big and wide SPR570's for rear ends so they were 12 feet back there. They got use to fooling around and they could hook onto them but it was interesting They could never hook up to the preload fire tanks "BUMMER" or the Smith Sand Box's another BUMMER.
Blk prince CZ Nitinat #40-79 P16 Pacific first load
These Cat trucks were awesome on the Lowbed. They could turn around anywhere. Put a trailer on their back and it looked like a big pimple. Put 10 wet leaves on the ground and these units would not back up,unbelievable how useless they were at backing up a grade.
When I got 40-87 it was wide track but I got under our newer trailers. 87 did not come with a trailer. I could not hook to porta tank and that was fine with me as we had 3 other preloaders that could do the job on double shift.
Blk prince CZ Nitinat here are two interesting pictures the first one is Swan Neva's American loader on a lowbed pulled by #40-79 , the other is a Madill tower with a loader hanging off the tower ,a combination Loader and Yarder in one with two cabs.
Blk prince CZ Nitinat #40-79 P16 Pacific doing lowbed duty ,Madill grapple yarder on board first pictures, Madill tower on board in second pictures
Blk prince #40-78 P16 Pacific driver Bill Brown
Blk prince #40-78 P16 Pacific driver Bill Brown
Blk prince Nitinat #40-78 P16 Pacific pulling lowbed with grapple yarder on board stuck on ice.
Blk prince CZ N itinat
Blk prince CZ Nitinat
Nice stuff....nothing like sitting here with a rye and coke looking at pics of a P-16 at work......Cory
Blk prince CZ 1st. picture Nanaimo Lakes 2nd picture is at Nitinat Shop #40-87 lowbed with grader and rock drill waiting to go to Coleman Dump to catch barge to Kyuoqut
How many of the Cat trucks were around and when did they disappear? Was there as many of them as the Terex trucks? It seems like they would have had the same issues with size and traction but I have seen a couple Terex trucks in the last few years but never a Cat. Thanks, Reg
RCP57,those Cat trucks showed up at Nanaimo Lakes in 1973 and 1974. The first one was the yellow one pulling the lowbed 40-67 driver was Jack Judson. The other two 40-68 and 40-69 came a year later. They were used but I am not up on their past. I drove one only out the mainline and it was like driving on left side of road all the time. They had oil cooled brakes and park brake was on the drive-shaft. I was never around a Terex.
Blk prince CZ Nitinat A-frame dump at the head of Lake Cowichan
Blk prince CZ Nitinat #40-79 P16 Pacific at Br. 20 bridge and at A-frame dump on Lake Cowichan.
HDX, I guess we should be on this site. Picture 206 shows a venture loader on a Kenworth. I think that was Hreb Randall's at Nan.Lakes. Nitinat had one venture,Clem Savard and 2 hay racks. Don Kirby Lake Cowichan and a second one with Dan Wickham and Howie Valleaux as partners.
How long were they around for before they disappeared? Any idea if any of them survived and are lying in someones scrap pile now? I am guessing that they weren't very practical and didn't last long. It's interesting to learn about the oddball trucks and machinery. I have heard that the Terex/Euclid trucks all had traction issues when empty and were very hard on roads when loaded because of the single rear axle setup(our R18 dump truck gets stuck on wet grass empty and sinks out of site when loaded). I have no idea if the latter is true but it seems like it would make sense. Thanks for the reply!
How did the slings on an A frame trip and release when the load hit the water? Was there a strawline involved, or was it rigged to trip itself once the logs began to float?
A frames uses what is called Marr Hooks. They are device that you put the knob from the sling that goes under the load into .The one that goes over the load has the Marr Hook attached. When the load is picked up the sling line pulls the knob down in to the Marr Hook. When the load is put into the water the spring pulls the Knob back up and spits it out of the Marr Hook.
A frames uses what is called Marr Hooks. They are device that you put the knob from the sling that goes under the load into .The one that goes over the load has the Marr Hook attached. When the load is picked up the sling line pulls the knob down in to the Marr Hook. When the load is put into the water the spring pulls the Knob back up and spits it out of the Marr Hook.
Thanks. Makes perfect sense. Adding a straw line to trip the slings would seem like a poor choice in many ways.
RCP57,the Cat trucks were still being used in 1980. When our barge sank,the 40-87 and the 40-92 went down and I was asked to take over one of the Cat trucks. I left CZ then went onto the highway. Another driver took the Cat and was lowbedding a brand new American log loader,a miss calculation on a corner saw the loader fall off lowbed before it put out its first load. Cat trucks were good but Pacific and Hayes were better. I will search out some info as to where they ended up. Back then these trucks could go on the highway from 12:00am until 6:00am for moving to different location,a federal offence now.
O75, a picture does save a thousand words
I posted it twice so that's 2000 words lol
RCP57,first picture in Post 206 shows an early Pacific and a Hayes conventional on either side of a Cat truck. Cats were greedy over how much road they wanted. Very few of our trucks came with A/C back then but a Cat truck had a passenger door with the door hinge at the back. Driver could run with this door open for more air flow.
Blk prince CZ Nitinat #40-87 P16 Pacific , #54-38 log loader
BLK prince CZ Nitinat #40-87 P16 Pacific ,snowed in on Br.47 one week 18 inches of snow Dec. 1978
Blk prince CZ Nanaimo Lakes #54-46 American log loader B Gison operator
Blk prince CZ Nanaimo Lakes #40-87 P16 Pacific , #54-47 log loader Br.10 aug. 1979
Blk prince CZ Nanaimo Lakes #40-69 Cat logging truck View attachment 119033
Blk prince CZ Nanaimo Lakes #40-87 P16 Pacific first train View attachment 119034 View attachment 119035 View attachment 119036 at camp Aug. 12,1979
The hood on that Pacific in Post 224 looks to be unusually long. Was that due to an even bigger engine, such as a 3412?
I am guessing that with Blk prince's comments earlier about being asked to drive the Cat truck after the barge rolled over with the Pacific on it that this had a 16V71? What was it like driving a truck with that big of an engine? and hood for that matter? Reg
I was wondering too if it was one on the Nitnat "supertrucks" with the 16V71.
Good morning,the 40-87 was the first "super" truck to come to Nitinat. Did have a 16V71,a 60-61 Allison 6 speed automatic with electric shift,a 2 speed Coaat auxilary and the 121 rear diffs. It did go to the bottom when the barge sank. The longer hood was not hard to get used to. Truck also came with twin steering cylinders which gave very easy steering. Also the Cotta was an air shift but worked in conjunction with truck maxis. We had 3 more of these units but all had the 12V92 engine.
Good to see 40-87 again Been a long time even if just in picture form. I remember seeing those American Loaders for the first time with the long pole's on them(ours were just normal length) and wondering "What If" Johnny Sawatski (6-249) from Caycuse and I would talk about them all the time He also had a great fear of them. AND then one day a barge came into Coleman Dump with only one big old P16 Pacific Truck with the front of the cab all smashed in. Seems the snorkel cap broke off and came back into the front of the cab and modified it somewhat. I HAD pictures of it but they left with the first wife. Seems a divorce did things like that back then. Sour grapes now I guess She left-- with all my pictures and I sure miss them (the pictures) Luckily she took only some albums
A 12V92 in a truck. Be still, my heart. If I was female, I'd be wet.
That was the total sum of all the P-16's built with the 12V92's as we only built three of them....I do remember them...It was a pretty big deal at the time using 12V92's in a truck....Cory
Post #107 shows the first 12V92 with shorter hood and new style air cleaners plus the Cotta auxilary. I do have pics. Of the 40-87 to show at assembly in N.Van.
BLK prince....I would like to see the North Van pics.....Cory
Diamondtguy,I have been getting great assistance from Camptramp as he has been posting my pictures. If he is willing and has any room on his computer,I will seek his aid in posting more. Do you remember how the M&B trucks were able to shift there auxiliaries? I would have to stop.apply truck maxi,put Cotta into neutral,release maxi apply maxi then put Cotta into low. There were 3 buttons on the dash with 3 lites for all.
Hey...I am still drawing a bit of a mental blank on the Cotta transmissions...Kinda bothers me as I am very good at remembering things hopefully some pics will jar my noggin.....Cory
Too many Ford's in your garage. It's messing with your mind! Haha, just kidding. I'm loving all this info! My next truck build is going to be a P16 so I would love to see more build photos. I think I may build a CZ super truck. I always have liked orange.
I can only smile and say,be still my heart!
RCP...you may be doing more than one P-16 as I still have the project planned.I just have to get a couple of Mustangs finished first....Cory
Haha that sounds good Cory. I know someone else that would be drooling too as long as it had small windows, #116 on the air cleaners and was painted Malloch and Moseley colors. Maybe I can build 3 at once. That should get my blood pressure up! I need to figure out a way to make the diffs faster. That's what keeps me from building another off highway. So many hours of manual machining! Reg
Maybe these would work? Kinda spendy, but how much is your time worth haha. http://store.rc4wd.com/Blackwell-X1-Rear-Scale-Axle_p_451.html
Sounds good....I know the diffs are a lot of work.Everything I do is a lot of work.I am still trying to figure out how to make a correct looking I-beam frame.....Cory RCP could you send me a e-mail.....I have lost your address
Blk prince don't know what I did wrong on the first posting I'll try again . First train #40-87
It will be done, I'm on a roll.LOL
Blk prince CZ Nanaimo Lakes #40-87 P16 Pacific pulling trains
Blk prince CZ Nanaimo Lakes #40-87 P16 Pacific pulling trains
Those axles are good but they are locked so a tandem setup probably won't steer very well. There are some German axles available with working planetaries but they are about $350 euros each! 2 axles are a mortgage payment!lol Reg.
RCP57,I talked to one of the last CZ drivers last nite,Larry Wasden about Cattrucks. He remembers someone in US buying one but no deal unless he took all 3. Believe it was a deal if he bought 2 then 3rd was free.
Last picture Post 246 God I remember that guy and his truck!!! So long ago and a million miles behind us. She always looked like that too. Were those taken at the "Y" over at the Lakes???. Last time I was there --There was a mountain of crushed gravel there and it was a mountain. The Dollies look like new 50-60 tonners 14:00x25 tires whereas the old ones were 36 tonners with 12"00x24 tires. OH yea and the leaf spring's to lift the 5th wheel LOL. Those new ones look like proper Columbia Trailer Dollies with the air bag to lift the 5th wheel. Wonder what ever happened to them?
HDX,that driver really appreciates your comments and respects your opinion! Pictures are from our train station on the .nitinat side at bottom of Br35 which is access road to Nan. Lakes. I was pulling those loads to our dump at head of Cowichan Lake. If I turned to the right then the load went up the hill to Lakes.the bottom picture of Post 247 is looking west and if the mountain was gone I would have been able to wave at you.LOL .our dollies came from an operation up the Bulkley Valley. They were easy to pull. We had one man put Dolley under loaded trailer with an old Timberjack that had a air hitch on the blades. He then pulled pins out from the legs and next loaded truck put his load in front,hooked up lines and hitch the pulled second load ahead and it dropped onto Dolley ready for meto take away.manager wanted to have the regular P16s to take a trip in at nite but that cost two rear ends due to our adverse on the mainline.Guess who would have tok go out late and pickup the pieces. Talk later.
OK then your came from the same place our 6 did Our were X104 X105 X106 and X114 X115 X116. God they were like new and after they painted ours RED they looked like a million bucks. Were originally Columbia Green. Were used one of the old Northwest Bay Division HD's I will post some pics over on the M&B thread when I get a chance Thanx for the info Was great
My dad ran one of these for CZ Seaside, drove it down from Seattle brand new! I learned to load using it when I first went to work for CZ in 1971.
My dad ran a TL-5C for Crown Z Seaside division, drove it down the highway from Seattle to Seaside when it was new! I learned to load using it when I went to work for CZ in 1971.
Blk prince CZ Nitinat Div. The remains of Swan Neva's American log loader Br. 38-D -1
Blk prince #40-87 P16 Pacific hooked to lowbed with Grapple Yarder #52-12 on board ,Br 46 to camp #54-47 loader loading #40-79 log truck #52-5 yarding.
There is something about that grapple hanging over the cab of the truck that makes me worry. Normally we would lay it in front of the goose neck between the tracks . And it wouldn't be swinging over the cab ,where it could cause problems and violate one one of WCB'S major rules .
075,this was back in 1980 so I do not know if there was a ruling then. I did not have a problem with trees or branches,just luck I suppose. Whether out front or rear I was always thinking "what if" as far as the dog on the boom winch let go.had more problems with tower guy lines than anything else,we were able to get straw line out and wrap the lines which did help.
Ya it looks like in the pictures that you guys did a fine job of getting rid of the trees there lol . I leave my grapple sucked up to the fairlead on the Snorkel when we low bed also. And it is over the push truck when we need one. In Holberg they put the grapple from the snorkel on the deck of the lowbed at the back. But every now and then the reach of the push truck hooks the haulback and drags it off the deck, back at the push truck which makes for some interesting radio chatter from the push truck.
We use to drop the grapple on the deck of the lowbed ,shackle the main line bite to a lug in the center of lowbed just in front of tires , then unhook haulback from grapple and shackle eye of haulback to mainline ,snug up on haulback and eye slides up mainline to fairlead.The top of the front stakes on the Pacific P16 preloader I drove were about 20 feet off the ground with empty trailer loaded on truck , I pushed the lowbed a lot and can't recall getting tangled up in 075 loading lines.
Ever camp has a way of doing things that just seems to work. But once in a while the great log god steps into show that the world is not a perfect place. Lol
Could that Pacific in Post 256 be one of the 16V71 models?
Vigilant,yes that truck had the 16V71, it was the only one CZ got the next 3 were 12V92. The picture in Post 107 is the 40-92,the first of the 12V92. These ones sank outside of Kyuquot,then we got 2 as replacements after I left
So how many trucks went down with the barge and which ones ???I remember being told at Pacific that a barge went down with 2 brand new Pre-loaders and 4 trailers (preloaders) and a bunch of equipment..We then got a order to replace all the trucks and trailers.My memory tells me it was MacBlo stuff tho.....We were told a while later that the trucks and equipment had been pulled up and everything cleaned,serviced and fired up.. Am I wrong about it being MacBlo ???Did the CZ stuff get brought back up...??........Cory
No Cory It was all Crown Z equipment. That was one sad day for the entire forest industry because everybody felt it could have been any one of us. It changed the way barge moves were done forever Insurance and safety, and then something happened in Robson Bight many years later things really went sideways. Was a shame to see all that Crown stuff lost. I heard only thing salvaged was some 14:00x25 tires that were floating around.
This sinking involved 2 barges. Coming out of Fair Harbour the weather turned bad quickly. Tug decided to go back to cover. In turning around,the towline fouled and the second barge ran on top of the lead barge. Both barges sank. 2 trucks with trailers went down,the 40-87 and 40-92. 2 grapple yarders landed on top of the trucks and destroyed them. No equipment was salvaged except for the porta-tanks which did float. They were full of small stuff such as pick-up tires,straw line etc. And all the rest is still under water the last time I asked the manager involved
Thanks....that is the most detailed info I have read on the sinking.I tend to believe you that nothing was really salvaged as you were there..If those trucks had been salvaged you guys would know about it....Does this mean that there should be two of the 12V92 trucks possibly still around...Memory tells me we did three of them...I guess part of the story we heard at Pacific was not exactly correct.The 40-92 would have been "very new" at the time ......Cory
That is correct,somewhere there should still be 2 of the 12V92s. I think one is up at Kokish and the other may have gone to Courtenay after the dust settled. I would think they have been re powered by now. They were the 40-98 and 40-100.
That is good to know...I agree that the massive 12V92 has probably been replaced by something newer.. Your 40-87 pics(at Pacific) opened my memory banks on a few things.When that truck was being built it was refered to as "The Montreal" truck.That is how I remember and it.It is also my friends all time favorite P-16.A quick call to him tonight confirms that the truck he also refered to as the Montreal Truck was indeed the 40-87.He worked at Pacific with me.He also remembered the color and the engine... No idea where the "Montreal Truck" name came from or its origin...I started putting things together a few days ago when I found out that 99.9% of all the P-16's built were for BC..I have long suspected the "Montreal Truck" was indeed a C/Z truck........Cory
Am I correct to assume that 40-98 and 40-100 were built to replace 40-87 and 40-92.......Cory
That is correct,they were both for Nitinat to pull the loads up the mountain over to Nanaimo Lakeso
Blk prince CZ Nitinat Div. #40-87 P16 Pacific Log Truck loading at #54-38 loader Br. 44
Blk prince Log barge loading crane at Ladysmith Harbour
Blk prince CZ Nitinat Div. okay Blk prince tell us about this Jewel .
Blk prince CZ Nitinat Div. sometimes the view on a nice day is the best part of logging .
Blk prince CZ
Blk prince CZ Nitinat Div.
Post 274,is a Savage Loader. Hydraulic loader with its own power plant,I think it was 8V51 or an 8V53. Loader mounted on an older P16 which still had a 5th wheel. We would bring him an empty trailer and stretch it out,drop it and operator would hook on to it.,load it up and drop in a wide spot or at a junction. Then he calls for another trailer,we take him one,stretch it out and go pick up the loaded one and head for the beach. Biggest problem was 5th wheel was so close to the loader that there was no more than 12 inches of wood ahead of front bunk. Meant for a rough ride and dicey on an adverse. He could put out 4-6 loads of small wood from windrow piles.
Post272,the loader is a Skagit 999. Came new with a heel boom. Cannot remember why it was changed over to a long boom. Operator was Jim Dalman and he liked the change.
Do you remember what year they took the heal boom of the Skagit?
Great pics of 40-87...........Blk Prince I have a few questions .Were you the only driver of 87 and was did the 16V perform as needed.I suspect that 40-92 was virtually new when they went down...Did you get to drive it ??....Thank you for all the pics....It is nice to see pics and hear the storys of all the trucks....I need to make a trip to the Island and get up close and personal with them again......Cory
Hey Cory I'm driving the Diamond T in the Chemainus parade June 21 it'll be a good chance to take some pictures .
That would be great...I am going to fire mine up next month and get her mobile again.One of my Mustangs (1967)goes in for paint next week and I am going to spend some time with the old girl while the one car is away......Cory For those who have keen vision..yes I have two sticks....4spd main box and I installed a 50's Brownie 3spd a-box (33%under,direct and 33% over)
The year was 1972 ,ct
Dot guy, I was only driver on the 87 . I took 2weeks off for holiday and a driver who was off from another job came and drove. 2nd day out the shaft for the fan broke and took out the rad. Truck was down for 2 weeks. I did not drive the 40-92 as mine was only a year old and I did not want to change trucks. Did not like the look of the new truck from the front.
Blk prince CZ Nitinat on lowbed duty
Blk prince CZ Nitinat
Blk prince CZ Nitinat
Blk prince CZ Nitinat A situation ,no truck driver wants to find them selves in.
That's not 40-87 on fire is it...... The last pic doesn't fit in...centre mounted cab with a small Cummins...My rising heart rate tells me that pic was taken in my old place of work.....Cory
This is very true
Blk prince Post 286 1st pic and 4th pic Like it was yesterday. They say we cant go back but I would buy a ticket on the bus in a heartbeat. It was a different time !!!
That seat you are parked on---I still have one of those Viking Bostrom "T"bar seats in 17. No air just the old manual ratchet style. You cant get them anymore so I keep parts around to keep rebuilding it
This is the 40-83 between dump and camp,fuel let go. Driver Donnie Wright jumped out. This was the last V12 to come to Nitinat
Blk prince CZ Nitinat Div.
Blk prince
Blk prince
The last 9 pictures are in Kyuquot
Second to last picture--Was that Bills truck originally and then went to Tom R after he retired. Seems to me with the air starter it just reminded me of his lowbed truck. Another of the great ones. Also took notice of the "HAPPY FACES"
HDX,yes,that was the 40-100,Bill's second truck. His first,40-92 did not have the sissy bar welded onto the front bumper.
Blk prince This must be 40-100. I kept looking at her and what threw me off was that the air starter tank has been moved from the driver's side to the passenger side. So here she sits in Sarita waiting her turn to be gone over and put back on the line.
So that would have been one of the 12V92 powered trucks....Looks to have been repowered.But she is still intact......Cory
That is right,Cory. The dash shows the 3 indicators for the Cotta. Sure not much else left that resembles the original truck. Would it be great to see her restored and put back to work. Thanks to HDX for going over it and showing the dash.
HDX,did this unit have 3 levers in the centre off the cab for trailer lift,5th wheel and lowbed ramps?
YES !!!. However somebody swiped the cat stick handles off them. The thing I wondered about is how she got the BCFP tri-colors. If Tom R got her after Bill retired then she would have been at the lakes ,so nowhere near a BCFP paintshop. Another mystery!!!
This is really a mystery. No one would waste money on a detailed paint job when the company plan is to dump everything.
You know It would only take a weekend and a handful of guys and a cutting torch as well as some Omaha Orange paint. HHUMMMM !!! OH and also a lot of imagination!!! IT COULD BE DONE! I will take some pictures of the other "Pumpkin truck"we have down there with us, She awaits her turn also. I was never able to come up with her original number but maybe somebody will. Kind of nice to track these old girls for history's sake
All of this is so true!
Trying to remember if these units came with electric wipers or remote control for right side window
Will check it out tomorrow morning for you
HDX, I am hoping to make a weekend camping trip this summer into the Sarita area. Would I get shot and strung up if I wanted to take some pictures and measurements at the log dump? Also, do you know if you can drive a truck down onto the river bar at the lake yet? I heard that the shoulder of the road was too steep for a truck and camper now but I wondered if it had changed over the winter. Sure do miss those old forestry campsites.... Thanks Reg
As long as the dash has not been changed finding any of the Pacifics with a Cotta will be easy if buttons are still in the dash. Did anyone else use the Cotta?
Don't know. Franklin had one installed on H92 low bed truck but was later removed. But it was done at Franklin River Division shop by our mechanics. Maybe Cory would know if Pacific installed anymore at the factory
RCP57 No you cant get down to the first camp site but the second one is open just a little further down the road--you will remember that one. The river changed some years ago and took out the access road down to the little beach. Forest service will not allow anybody to repair the site again. As for the Sarita yard --There is a gate up there --sometimes open on weekends sometimes not. If the gate is closed just go around to Poets Nook road and come in the back way! That way you can get down to the old dump machine site and the dryland sort as well as the shop area The main truck yard may be gated but you can still get into the yard.
Other than the ones already mentioned I don't recall any others.My memory is a little thin on the Cotta's but I am starting to remember little bits as I see the old pics..... I found out a few days ago that the molds for the "Pacific" name plates were tossed out(at the foundry) by people with out the authority to do so...They are gone and not likely to be replaced...Thus the sticker......Cory
Is there any record of the Cotta being installed on any Hayes ,Mack or Kenworth?
Blk prince
Blk prince
http://www.cotta.com/about.shtml
Post 123 shows the other truck that was to be snipped up along with 6-258. Did some talking tonight to some people and now MAYBE just Maybe they will get spared and left alone for now. Sadly both trucks have been stripped of most of their parts over time .However there is still a ton of useable parts on them that you cant buy anymore !!! Blk prince I don't know her original number other than the CSP number She HAD SPR 570's in her also but no Cotta just a V12 I took a picture of her ID tag but that only gives the serial number No unit number
Blk prince
Blk prince
Blk prince
Post 322 &323 are all pictures from CZ in Kyuquot.
Blk prince
Blk prince
Blk prince
Blk prince
Blk prince
Blk prince
BLK prince
Blk prince
Blk prince
Posting 331 and 332 Were all taken in the Camp "B" Franklin River Yard when Bill and you were busy relaying the stuff from NitNat to Coleman Dump! I am thinking winter of 1980 or early 1981. The HDX in the background with the black and white striped bumper was H61 She was involved in a little fender bender not long after that and was scrapped. Nobody could believe it but she was!!! Her cab was removed and sent up to Mike Murphy at Pt McNeill for one of his projects. She was a 1973 and because the driver that got her new very rarely hauled logs, She was a very low miler. The driver had to change light bulbs and stuff around camp and do important stuff like make sure the cook house was running smoothly NOT haul logs. some of you guys will remember who he was!!!
Blk prince
Blk prince CZ Kokish Div.
Blk prince Kokish CZ Div.
Blk prince CZ Kokish Div.
Blk prince CZ Kokish Div.
Blk prince
Blk prince CZ Kokish Div
HDX,in picture 333 you will notice my trailer has short taper on inside of the stakes. Have you seen any in your fleet?
If you look at trucks and trailers early 1970's and older the stake tops were finished like that . Trailers delivered to Renfrew Div. spring 1980 were square to the top.
Gordy Isacson is sharing his pictures with us . Do'es anyone recognize this truck ? LW-848 Kenworth HD 70's vintage ( hood latches - narrow radiator ?? why ? looks like 11 o x 22 rubber , BD 65,000 Planetary Axels ( US ) Peerless Head Ache Rack , Shuttling DLS logs ? Can't see any Bundle Wires on logs . Looks like No. T788 on Rad. tank + hood.
Picture #2 of #340 shows a 1967 Pacific in Kokish. Driver was Orville Reimer. Truck had Cummins 6 cylinder,probably a 335 with Allison 6 speed auto.
looks like in wash or oregon judgen by the two pups its dragging behind
Could this Clallam Bay? There was a similar photo of this in the Loggers World's book about the Centennial of CZ (1870-1970) They hauled from the sort yard ten miles to the dump at Seiku.
Camptramp,checkout thread #13 and first picture of Post.195. Did BCFP get any new Pacifics with mufflers under the cab? In my mind this was a poor place for mufflers unless temperature was -10 or colder. By then we were home.
BCFP trucks I drove or seen had mufflers on the right front water tank from factory or were inside ladder on water tank both sides if truck was converted to V12-71 Jimmy from V8 Cummins in camp .
Camptramp and BLK prince always interested in the great pictures and knowledge you guys have. Thanks for shareing
Wasn't 1973 the first year of the new style low-mounted door handles? If so, that should put at least that new, unless the driver's door was later replaced with the new-style. Great photo.
The BLk prince bless his soul , has touched base with an old friend Hakan Andersson ( and a dam fine mechanic on anything you can find in Logging Camp ) who is sharing his pictures with us . Looks like Nitinat Camp winter of 1968 - 1969
Hakan A. Nitinat , a picture of Madill's combination High Lead Yarder , Loader .
Hakan A. Nitinat an interesting Skagit loader SJ-4 ? This loader and the Madill yarder / loader ,were owned by contractor Bert Brown , the HDX Hayes logging truck is Irving Olsens #1
I set chokers on that Madill duplex yarder/loader. That was 48 years ago. Those where the good old days when at about 5:00AM Trunk road in front of where Domans built their office by the Royal Bank was like Grand Central station with crummies loading up. I also remember the winter of '68. There was about 3ft of snow right in downtown Duncan.
dunwurken,I have more pictures of "the combination" posted and they show 2 cabs. The doors are on the back in true Madill style. So far there is no one who remembers much about the combo. I would say this is pictures of the first setting. New cabs are also straight on the front.
There were two cabs on the one I set chokers on. Do you think it's a completely different machine or did they star out thinking they could do it all with one operator then modify it later. I think it was BC Brown's son ran one or probably both yarder and loader at times. I do recall that you could loose your teeth if the loader moved in the landing while you where trying to do up a choker out in the backend. It's taxing my memory but I also recall if we got a certain amount of loads by Friday noon the rest of the day was amateur day. The engineer would come out and set chokers the RS would run yarder. The chaser run the loader the junior chokerman would chase and after an hour or two everyone would switch again. Were are you other pictures posted. I do seem to recall seeing it before. Something doesn't look right with #353
I was told that only one machine was ever built. I got to Nitinat in 1968 and it had 2 cabs then. I did hear a story of one cab but did not work. All the time combo was in Nitinat,Skip Baker ran loader and Stan Medd was hooker. Not sure of the year but we lowbed dead her to Coleman for a trip up coast and never heard of it again. I would like to talk to Bill Foresster about her as he could fill in the blanks.
I found the 2 cab configuration in posting 150. That's what I remember. I have no idea how they thought they could run both the loader and yarder from the same cab but it looks like they tried. They just didn't add another cab but took the single side door cab off and put two "Madill" cabs on. Lot's of blind spots! Then there was Brown's crummy. Old bread truck with a plank down each side to sit on. I don't even think it had any windows.
Hakan A. CZ Nitinat Div. The Winter of 1968 - 1969 , I remember going back to work in middle of March 1969 , Pulling Rigging in Granite Creek at Port Renfrew , snow was up to my chest , had shovels to dig down to find logs .
Hakan A. CZ Nitinat another picture of Bert Browns Skagit SJ-$ loader and Madill combination yarder / loader . Does anyone remember Rusty Barrows Tending Hook on that tower ?
I took many a ride as a kid in a 'state of the art' Chevy C-20 stepside pickup just like that one. They were standard issue for Weyco Twin Harbors back in the day, and Dad always had one in the driveway. Big Six and a 4-speed. Same color, or close to it.
I will also repeat, for the record, that although I have fond memories of 'the Company' from my childhood days, I have no use for Weyco in their current form, especially after they raped M&B.
You are not alone there
Very Well put Vigilant !!!!
The big V-6? Like 478CID?
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Chevy had a 250 and 292 inline 6 back then, and they used the 292 in pickups.
Yea, probably one of those I-6's. But Chev/Jim had enourmous V-6 gassers into the sixties. I don't know if they made it into the PU's
Yep. I drove a single axle GMC tractor with that monster of a V6. Ran pretty good actually. GMC also offered the Toro-Flow diesel, which I heard was less than stellar. Drove one a few times, had no thoughts either way as far as performance. I have never heard of any V6 configured engine in a Chevy pickup back then, and I doubt that GMC would have offered that engine in a pickup without a beefed up frame to hold the torque. I almost think GMC did have a small V6 for pickups. Does anyone know for sure?
GMC V6 engine From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia GMC Truck produced a unique 60° V6 engine from 1960 through 1978. The engine was available in 305, 351, 401 and 478-cubic-inch (5.0, 5.8, 6.6, and 7.8 respectively L) versions. In late production there was also a 432-cubic-inch (7.1 L) version with enlarged crankshaft journals. 305 The 304.6-cubic-inch (5.0 L) 305 had a 4.25 in (108 mm) bore and 3.578 in stroke (90.9 mm). The 305 V6 was the standard pickup truck engine for GMC from 1960 to 1967, and was one of the first V6 engines produced by an American company. Rated at 220 ft.lb. of torque and 120 net horsepower. I don't remember the exact year (Mid sixties I would guess) of it but my Dad had a GMC crummy with the V6 and it was, I think the first time I heard him Bit*h about gas mileage..
Hi I asked Bill and he said he would ask his madill guys at the next breakfast
Us guys at the breakfast are all getting old and senile. Well maybe just me! d.d.
The Bert Browns combo Madill yarder/loader may not have been a success in the 60's but with todays hydraulics and sleek crane constructions this combination has more or less been an industry standard for modern European yarders! Thank you for the pictures! From top and left to right: MM Forsttechnik GmbH's Syncrofalche, Koller Forsttechnik K507, Konrad Forsttechnik Mounty 5000, Tröstl TST 800 and Urus.
Those European machines are cool. Is the unit with the ag tractor PTO driven, or does it have it's own engine. And are all the truck mounted machines operated by a single individual, or two? The loader cab of the bottom machine just looks too small to be able to handle the controls for the yarder, even if it did use pilot controls and fly-by-wire.
1931 Kenworth and dd, I knew you would be coming out and adding some help. Thanks. I will call Bill tomorrow with a few questions. I would also like to know where power for the travel was supplied,Yarder or loader engine. One question always leads to more. Do you think Chuck Madill would supply answers?
So these machines beg a few questions. Two off the top of my head---- Is the yarder fully or partially remote controlled by the hooktender and the bottom machine with the ag tractor where is the operator located. Those machines look "handy" meaning they can be moved and rigged up in short order.
^^as for the setup with the tractor: there's usually two options, full remote controls plus there's levers on the front (between the tractor and the trailer, next to the pto). Most the time the guy running it stands there, uses the remote for the tower and then the levers for the crane. You can get the trailers with an own engine for the yarder as well as pto driven system that's powered off the tractor. The trucks are a one-man show since the hook tenders do have a remote as well. So the 'engineer' at top gives the go and sends the carriage away. From there on the hook tenders do the rest, set the turn. The guy up top clears the landing and does some processing in the meantime. He's getting an alarm once the guys are ready and pulls the load back in - or - if they got the fancy one the have the line automatic. meaning that, hook tenders just push one button and the turn rushes to the landing and stops at a pre programmed point and waits there for the engineer to move it in just the last few meters and lower it to the ground. Usually they use remote controlled choker's as well so he doesn't have to get out of the cab for every turn to unhook. Pushes the button, releases the trees and sends the carriage out again. Backt to clearing and processing. If there's enough room at the yarder there's usually self-loading highway trucks getting the wood right away so it doesn't pile up to much. If it's a tight area they move it around with a forwarder or wheeled excavators...
Wrecked pickup This is the first pic I have seen of this truck. I helped extricate the driver who was part of the Engineering crew. I then drove the "ambulance to the beach where he was put on the water taxi and taken to the hospital in Alert Bay.
RODIN,welcome. That was a long time ago. 1967. Was Don O driving log truck and Kenny H the engineer?
Kokish Pacific I believe there were 3 of these trucks in Kokish and my memory, right or wrong, tells me the Cummins in those trucks were an odd HP. 380 I believe. Interesting also is the fact there are 2 pics of Pacific trucks, both showing similar damage. I don't know the story on the color pic (orange) but the truck Don O was driving was yellow as I believe the trucks were painted orange when the company name changed from Crown Zellerbach to Crown Forest. The B&W pic is the one that the pickup collided with
I left Kokish in Sep 1968 and went to Nitinat division. Just at start of painting program. I got the first "super" truck in 1979. It came orange and was Crown Zellerbach
Crown Zellerbach , Nitinat Div. , Blk prince has borrowed some pictures from Keith Nelson to share . Keith Nelson running Loader #54-41 loading a P 16 Pacific driven by Bill Brown .
I posted in the wrong thread.....
Blk prince (Keith Nelson)Crown Zellerbach Nitinat Div. , Bill Brown standing in front of #40-78 P 16 Pacific . 1978 .
Blk prince (Keith Nelson) Crown Zellerbach Nitinat Div. , 1st picture Jim Dalman running #54-38 Skagit 999 on rubber tire carrier with straight boom , as a loader . 2nd picture Grapple Yarder #52-05 and Loader #54-38 crew Jim Dalman Loader Operator , Bill Brown Truck Driver , Rod Long Grapple Yarder Operator , Harold Neuffer Chaser , Randy Layt ham Hook Tender .
Blk prince (Keith Nelson) Crown Zellerbach Nitinat Div. , 1st picture #40-87 P 16 Pacific Super Truck New , exhaust still shiny . 2nd picture Blk prince standing in front of #40-87 P 16 Pacific . #54-38 loader in back ground .
Nice pictures of that truck..Sad she had such a short life.One of only a few 16V71 P-16's trucks built and the only 16cyl super truck built..One of the first P-16's I worked on....I remember her sister trucks well...
Boulder Bill .
An old friend of mine Ernie Harrison has loaned us his logging pictures . The first ones , are of the CZ Nanaimo Lakes Div. Locie with a train load of logs on thei r way to Ladysmith .
Looking at this set of pictures. Third one shows a Chev Panel. This was the crew bus for the train track workers. They were referred to as the Gandy Dancers. No idea where expression came from. Perhaps someone came step in. Bp
The legend I have heard repeatedly was a RR foreman named Gandy had a crew of Montenegrins who were referred to as "Bear Dancers." (Derogatory phrase.) So it just got shortened to Gandy Dancers. Let me repeat the phrase "legend."
That is a reasonable explanation and so far,the only one I have heard. Yes. Many a legend has got us to this day. Bp
That term was used here also..... Ed