Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Any advice on building a stationary engine with PTO?

colson04 ยท 2017-07-13 10:38

Has anyone built or familiar with stationary engines? I've been kicking around an idea for a couple years of fitting a 540/1000 tractor type PTO to a stationary engine for running things like a large wood splitter, PTO generator, wood chipper, forage blower, etc to free up the tractor that would normally be tied up in these instances. Another reason for doing this is that I have an engine already. My thoughts were to mount the engine on a steel skid made from scrap, mate up an old transmission and clutch assembly and then just select a gear /vary engine RPM to obtain desired PTO speed. Part of the goal is to complete this type of project for $1000 or less. Most of the components I already have, or are old enough to be inexpensive to purchase used. Any other thoughts or recommendations?

Replies11
  1. #1Hobbytime2017-07-13 12:04

    you can buy an old tractor for the amount of $$ and time your gona spend to build that, and it still wont be portable, unless you have a specific project in mind with space limitations...

  2. #2kshansen2017-07-13 12:31

    And also if this engine you already have is not equipped with a governor to control the speed you would need to add one. Like Hobbytime says find a good running old tractor and it will move itself from job to job and pull the generator or log splitter too!

  3. #3Rob Gunn2017-07-13 13:58

    I have seen these many times around Amish country. Take a look at this link: http://chadipioneerfarmequipment.com/PTO_carts.html That should give you some ideas to stat with...

  4. #4kshansen2017-07-13 14:50

    Not sure what to say or how to say it without offending someone's religion! So I'll leave it at that.

  5. #5repowerguy2017-07-13 18:14

    Well to have it the right direction in turning, you will have to use reverse gear exclusively. I've seen pto units in farm show magazine that will do exactly what you want, it will be a good deal more than your budget though. A thrashed farm tractor is gonna be your cheapest option, factory made is cheaper sometimes.

  6. #6Hobbytime2017-07-13 18:38

    believe it or not..they have some loop holes in there religion that some take to get some use of modern equipment and house hold appliances..LOL..it sounds crazy, but they do, I have had the Amish do a bunch of building at my place and they use most modern tools,claim is if they dont own them..borrowed or loaned is ok..same with using combustion engines..I would say , wait and see if you get any replies from the Amish..but that could be a loooong wait...

  7. #7Tradesman2017-07-13 19:05

    I have a neighbor that has a horse driven crop sprayer that has a GPS. guidance system.

  8. #8Old Doug2017-08-10 21:35

    What engine do you have? One thjng about the tractor ideal is a power plant will be alot more compact and if you have a popular engine parts are easyer to got. I built a tractor out of easy to find parts and have used it almost every day for years.

  9. #9colson042018-01-13 08:58

    You have any pictures of your homemade tractor? I'd be really interested in seeing what you came up with and things you can use it for.

  10. #10Old Doug2018-01-13 20:20

    I started off with a 1959 chevy 2 ton truck.I striped the body off the frame then moved the rear end up till the driveshaft is around a foot long with the 2 speed axle mouned solid with dual rear only brakes. I used a 250 chevy 6 cyl and 4 speed.I removed half the front springs but after using it i about gave up because of the poor traction off road because it was so short and stiff. I then replaced the front axle with a 1960 ford 3/4 ton strait axle with a spring setup with one spring like a model A ford with whish bone useing a 2" trailer ball coupler for the swival.It has 3 point and hyd uesing a JD combine belt drive pump. I found a seat with a spring in a barn from a IH tractor and mounted a car air shock on it.I use it alot to move trailers,haulstuff on a caryall like a cuting torch,parts,tools,firewood,i also have a 3point boom that will lift one end of a car or move truck parts around. I also blade snow or level building sites up. Its low gears are as low as most tractors and its high speeds are handy if distance is part of the work being done.I dont know if something like this is ever done i would like to build a new front axle that is strait to replace the droped one,build a set of rear rims for maybe 22.5s also i would like to have controls so i could set and drive it bidirectional.I use a boat gas tank so it can be removed when welding is done on it.I sold the rest of the truck for junk and have around $100.00 cash in it hyd hoses and belt for pump. I will try and post a picture some time. I used it today and parked it in the shop to put chains on so i can pull up some logs for firewood.

  11. #11DIYDAVE2018-01-14 21:08

    2 things to things to consider, other than keeping an eye on your pocket book, and not to chase $1's while the $5's blow by... 1. As others have said, small-ish farm tractor, stripped of wheels, and un-necessary components, will fit in the back of a p/u bed. If you palletize it, handling is easy, with a forklift. As a matter of fact, Farm Show Magazine had an article about a guy doin this, with an old JD tractor, to run his grain elevators, off its PTO, freeing up a newer tractor for other things. 2. How about a wet line kit, on a bigger truck, fer HYD only applications???