Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Any body have a bearing race tool for a mustang 960?

Thinder ยท 2014-01-25 09:18

Hi, I have a mustang 960 that had water in the chain case and rotted all the bearings. I got everything removed and was able to install all the new wheel bearing races except the back, inside one. The service manual shows a bearing race tool that you must manufacture locally. I am trying to avoid the investment of having drivers manufactured just for one race. And I've already frozen the race and heated the axle tube to no avail. Does anyone have a tool already build for this I could rent?

Replies6
  1. #1kshansen2014-01-25 09:54

    Are there any trade schools near by? Maybe you could get a machine shop instructor to have a kid make one as a project? If you were near here and I had some 4.5 shaft laying around I could make one or two for you in an hour or so down in the basement. Do you have the old races? Cut through one side with a cut-off wheel then use it with a plate of steel and some all thread to pull in the new race. The slot cut in one side will make it easier to remove after new race is in position. When pulling in make sure it goes in straight. If one side is not moving as fast tap on it to get it moving along with the other side. Wear safety glasses and do not hit on the race with a hammer directly the races are hard and chips can come off with force.

  2. #2Thinder2014-01-25 11:21

    I built a tool similar to the one pictured already using one of the old races, I wasn't sucessful. I can't get in the chain case way in the back due to bulkheads and pump interference, I a can't get a hammer and a drift in there with any force. I think I need the mass and thickness of the tool they show in order to seat that rear inner race. All three others seated in the standard way with a ground down old race. Thanks for the reply

  3. #3Thinder2014-02-08 13:47

    Ok, splurged and had the tool made. If anyone needs it let me know. Ill be happy to lend it, it made life so much easier.

  4. #4Marco Sanchez2020-04-08 16:43

    I see you post a tool how can I rent it

  5. #5Thinder2020-04-11 16:33

    i had it all boxed up shipping label paid, printed and ready to go but you wont respond to my email now. Whats the deal?

  6. #6jmumbauer2020-04-22 23:14

    I'm in the middle of bearing replacement on a 940, but your tool looks like it is too big. I assume the wheel bearings on a 960 are a larger diameter. Too bad, I'd would have loved to rent the thing from you.