Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Any brand log trucks

Truck Shop · 2021-11-17 21:11
Replies2,679
  1. #1Truck Shop2021-11-17 21:13
  2. #2Truck Shop2021-11-17 21:15
  3. #3Truck Shop2021-11-17 21:17
  4. #4Hayesno12021-11-18 16:33
  5. #5Hallback2021-11-18 18:55

    I spy some good stuff!

  6. #6Truck Shop2021-11-18 19:44

    There's all kinds if spying to be done!

  7. #7Truck Shop2021-11-18 19:54

    Here's a mid fifties West Coaster.

  8. #8Truck Shop2021-11-18 19:57

    This Star was recently for sale-but the wife frowned so that meant-------------no.

  9. #9Truck Shop2021-11-18 19:59

    Why drive a over the road when trucks have log bunks, always like log trucks. Not to mention your in the hills.

  10. #10Camshawn2021-11-18 20:06

    Here is a modern one taken last spring up on Harrison Lake East in BC.

  11. #11hoechucker2021-11-18 21:10

    We had a fairly large trucking contractor up to the early 80's down here with the same paint scheme .Dutra trucking

  12. #12Truck Shop2021-11-18 21:23

    Construction outfit in Cle Elum had these antiques.

  13. #13Truck Shop2021-11-18 21:55

    Two 48 A-Cars at Oregon Truck sales, Hall Scott powered.

  14. #14Truck Shop2021-11-20 07:26
  15. #15Truck Shop2021-11-20 20:03

    There is a Pacific on here some where.

  16. #16Truck Shop2021-11-21 18:49

    Somewhere in Oregon.

  17. #17Hallback2021-11-21 19:35

    I miss the roller rinks.

  18. #18Truck Shop2021-11-21 19:52

    I was so uncoordinated as a kid I never went to one. Half the time I looked like Joe Cocker {I wasn't getting by with a little help from my friends} it took a lot more.

  19. #19Hallback2021-11-21 21:30

    I never said I skated!!

  20. #20Mike L2021-11-22 19:34

    Not a great pic but these are the 12’ wide trailers they run in the big woods.

  21. #21Truck Shop2021-11-23 19:30

    I posted these on another thread-but really should have placed them here. Old Gillian rail tunnels in New Mexico.

  22. #22Truck Shop2021-11-25 15:52
  23. #23Truck Shop2021-11-25 19:39

    White Mustang. The guy on top of cab guard-with the guy wires and bachelor buttons-pants yanked to his arm pits.

  24. #24Hallback2021-11-25 20:56

    That Second Loader liked his britches secure!! Nice face on that ol spruce

  25. #25Truck Shop2021-11-25 21:02

    He was probably sport'n a brownie by 8 am.

  26. #26DB22021-11-25 21:03

    Love the double drum crawler in the background making it all possible.

  27. #27Jumbo2021-11-26 00:58

    Woods boss was always suspect of gut wrappers (belts) and dashboards (bib overalls.) Weyerhaeuser safety book I was handed in the late 60's said that suspenders were required. When you were running for your job, or your life, suspenders were guaranteed to keep your pants up. When I started, it was Lee "Can't Bust 'em 88s with a button fly. older gents on the crew wore 77's which had a zipper fly. Then Lee went fashion conscious about the late 70s and dropped both lines.

  28. #28Truck Shop2021-11-26 01:55

    Lived around loggers most my life I know why they wear guy wires, hickory shirts and short jeans and Whites boots. What I don't under stand is why a Cat mechanic thinks he needs the same dress.

  29. #29Hallback2021-11-26 09:33

    I often wonder the same. Trying to be what ya ain't is no way to live.

  30. #30Hallback2021-11-26 09:34

    We still had 77's & 88's until 91 here. That's when I got my first pair of Carhartt jeans. Those have been discontinued now also. Maybe the world is signaling me?

  31. #31John C.2021-11-26 12:36

    I spent many hours inside Link-Belt 98 and 108 loggers. I wore the hickory shirts and braces for years when working on friction machines. The open gear dope for some reason would come out of those shirts after two three washings. Never wore flannel around turning gears and shafts and never worn a belt when crawling through those machines. Synthetic cloth was just terrible for burning and welding and I have the scars to prove it. Spray the sleeves of a cotton hickory shirt down with starch and the sparks and hot drips would just bounce off. I also wore the old railroad hats. Turn the bill towards the back and pull the hat over your ears and then have to try to slide up by the vertical shafts in the carbody. The oil and gear dope got stuck on your hat and not so much in your hair. Never owned a set of corks and only wore the wranglers for a little while. The wide legs kept getting caught on sharp stuff inside those machines. Love the photos but the green KW is just sad.

  32. #32Former Wrench2021-11-26 12:39

    When I was working on trucks and equipment in the 70's era I wore the 88's and zip up hickory shirts. It helped to not get belt buckle pinch when bending over or being in an odd position when working on something.

  33. #33Truck Shop2021-11-26 16:13

    I've never worn rings, belts , watches or any of that crap. Working auto machine years ago there was plenty of equipment to get caught up in. I still have all my digits, nock on wood. Urban decay. or rural.

  34. #34Mike L2021-11-26 17:50

    Huh? I’ve got carhartt jeans. Fit better and hold up longer than Levi’s. Got them at tractor supply.

  35. #35Crummy2021-11-26 17:57

    @Hallback needs to have some company slack adjusters printed up. No poser junk, leather end to go with the Prison Blues, please.

  36. #36Hallback2021-11-26 20:24

    I have been thinking about having some made.

  37. #37Hallback2021-11-26 20:25

    It's not the traditional carhartt logger double front. Those were discontinued over 2 years ago. They make some that are similar but they are nowhere near the same fit or durability.

  38. #38Hallback2021-11-26 20:25

    I bought a dozen pair of the size that I wore at that time and the next size larger. Sad because I'm down to only about 4 pair left and I'm afraid to take the tags off them and wear them now.

  39. #39Truck Shop2021-11-26 20:48

    About the time you find something that fits or like it always seems it's discontinued.

  40. #40Hallback2021-11-26 21:37

    Aint that the truth! I used to wear Chippewa brand Romeo slippers those got discontinued then I went to danners and they discontinued the original style and I keep getting my last pair rebuilt.

  41. #41Truck Shop2021-11-26 21:52

    New York store here in town.

  42. #42JPV2021-11-27 09:52

    I stocked up on the Carhartt logger jeans a couple years ago as well. I then realized that I had better not put on any weight and out grow them! So far so good, have a few pairs left. I don't know what to try when they are gone, that's all I have ever worn.

  43. #43Hallback2021-11-27 10:52

    There is really nothing that comes close out there. Prison blues are far too tight on my legs and the pockets are about one knuckle deep, key jeans are just an odd fit and the other carhartt washed dungarees that look like the traditional loggers are baggy like they should be worn in South LA.

  44. #44Former Wrench2021-11-27 11:21

    Also gone are Lee Rider 100% cotton jeans and Woolrich Wool Halibut jackets.

  45. #45DMiller2021-11-27 11:21

    Wore whatever uniform was required at most shops, on my own always wore Carpenter style Blue or Black jeans as needed the pockets, NOTHING on hands or arms, long sleeve shirts or coveralls always rolled Farmer Short Sleeve style halfway up forearms. Saw all too many morons caught a ring or watch band on something sharp, lucky for most NOT to lose a finger or bleed out from the wounds, Batteries and Wedding bands are BAD JUJU!! Would only wear T-shirt or Short Sleeve around Lathe or Mill, ALWAYS Tucked in shirt around them as did NOT want dragged in and saw that as well.

  46. #46DMiller2021-11-27 11:42

    Sad to see the machines left to rot.

  47. #47Jumbo2021-11-27 18:53

    I gave up on Carhartt log time ago when they went to being made in China. Bought two pairs exact same dimensions. got home and one appeared to have a 60" waist and 22" inseam. The other had what appeared to be a 30" waist and a 40" inseam. I am still running Prison Blues, same fit everytime and, they are local. I do miss the old style when their front pockets were made from hickory cloth. I also liked their original slogan "made by hard men on the inside for hard men on the outside." their other slogan I liked was; "made for men who wear out their cloths from the inside out." I guess I'm just a sucker for good marketing slogans.

  48. #48hoechucker2021-11-28 22:07

    I was having pretty good luck with the Madsen's jeans that are/were made by big bills. Since the plandemic Madsen's wasn't getting them in so I bought some big bill jeans from the local saw shop and one pair fits right and the other shrinks every time they are washed. Maybe Madsen's will start getting them in again

  49. #49Hallback2021-11-28 22:34

    I wouldn't hold my breath on Madsen's getting any better than they were, Sam sold the company about 4 or 5 months ago.

  50. #50hoechucker2021-11-29 11:57

    That sucks.

  51. #51Bluox2021-11-29 13:24

    I was in Madsens about a month ago and the only single front with suspender buttons were Keys and they were 25 bucks. They are close to the Madsens pants. As far as Big Bills flannel shirts go they are junk, some came apart on the first wash before they were worn. Bob

  52. #52Hallback2021-11-29 15:59

    The new owner was a guy that Sam had hired to manage the store 5 or 6 years ago. He is taking it in a direction away from its history and and I have quit doing business there because I don't believe in his ideas or values.

  53. #53DMiller2021-11-29 17:02

    Sad

  54. #54Truck Shop2021-11-30 18:20

    Here's a couple of high pants fellers.

  55. #55Mike L2021-11-30 18:48

    What kind of truck is that?

  56. #56DMiller2021-11-30 19:05

    Dodge Brothers??

  57. #57Truck Shop2021-11-30 19:17

    I have been looking, an odd one for sure with suicide doors. It would be a 1933 to 1935 Dodge Brothers, as of August 1935 the name was shortened to Dodge. Only years with those doors.

  58. #58DMiller2021-11-30 19:21

    Do I get a Prize?? Name tag gave it away!!

  59. #59Hallback2021-11-30 20:14

    That was back when Dodge was actually reliable.

  60. #60Truck Shop2021-11-30 20:43

    How about a tombstone pizza?

  61. #61petepilot2021-11-30 20:59

    what kind of saw would they have used on that log

  62. #62Bluox2021-11-30 21:07

    A great big one. Bob

  63. #63petepilot2021-11-30 21:16
  64. #64Truck Shop2021-11-30 21:35

    I suppose a coping saw?

  65. #65petepilot2021-12-01 00:10

    I was thinkin a 16 foot 4 man crosscut

  66. #66Truck Shop2021-12-03 18:36
  67. #67Bluox2021-12-03 18:59

    Now that would be a wild ride if the rope broke! Bob

  68. #68Truck Shop2021-12-07 19:36

    A staged photo, but still a good photo.

  69. #69Truck Shop2021-12-10 21:13

    Now you just know these guys are all about safety.

  70. #70Truck Shop2021-12-11 20:23

    That 12V71 Jimmy above is I believe a K-101-A 1924 5 ton.

  71. #71Truck Shop2021-12-11 21:21
  72. #72camptramp2021-12-11 22:06

    Timberwest HBO Division #40-96 P16 Pacific built August 1980 . Loader light but loader down .

  73. #73camptramp2021-12-12 22:34

    Gord Isacson Collection part of Malloch Family Collection . Jud King of Victoria with his Mercury tandem logging truck .

  74. #74camptramp2021-12-12 23:30

    Gordy Isacson Collection Part of the Malloch Family Collection Anybody know what kind of logging truck this is ? Picture was taken in Sooke B.C. area .

  75. #75Jumbo2021-12-12 23:41

    Anybody know what kind of logging truck this is ? Looks kind of like an old Army Studebaker. After WW II, there were many running around wearing bunks. I was told they were cheap to buy and cheap to run until they broke. Then you just bought another one. A shirttail cousin of mine had a dozen or so laying round in various stages of disassembly all making parts for the two trucks he had run. I am guessing that he ran them until about the early 1950s By the time I was cognizant, he was running KWs and the Army trucks were succumbing to the blackberries. But, there were common immediately after WW II.

  76. #76kshansen2021-12-13 06:29

    Not sure how I missed that picture! How about a picture of it's next of kin? This picture must have been from around 2000 at a open house at a quarry the company has a few miles from the one I worked at for 45+ years. I and another guy at the shop were tasked with getting it running. I'm sure some have read about that project other places on this forum. Not sure where it is these days or what condition it is in.

  77. #77Truck Shop2021-12-13 07:17

    Nice AC.

  78. #78Jumbo2021-12-13 09:28

    Many (excluding this forum) wouldn't understand you were referring to the model designation, not the air conditioning....

  79. #79kshansen2021-12-13 13:04

    Well as it has no doors there is pretty good air flow, but the fact that the radiator is behind the engine it might not be that cool!

  80. #80Truck Shop2021-12-13 17:35

    Photo of radiator.

  81. #81Truck Shop2021-12-13 19:33
  82. #82Truck Shop2021-12-16 15:09

    40's Peterbilt with Hall Scott.

  83. #83camptramp2021-12-16 18:26

    Nice load of "Berries" .

  84. #84camptramp2021-12-17 22:43

    Roy Johnson Collection In 1980 I was working with our old friend Roy Johnson at BCFP Renfrew Division . One evening I was at his home visiting , when he brought out a photo album from the 1950's . After I had looked through it I borrowed a couple of pictures and had reprints made . I regret I didn't have the whole photo album copied . Roy was a colourful character lots of stories , and there was no doubt true . Tough as nails with a heart of gold . BCFP Renfrew division had several Northwest Grade Shovels converted to log loaders they were all a little bit different , they had four Washington loaders two TL6's that were different from factory and and two TL15's a early 1950's and a 1965 that again were different , a early 1970's American 7220 and several Skagit , Tyee and Madill Yarders . Roy could get on any one of them and run them with ease as the Camp Spare Operator . The picture is of a load he loaded with either a Loading Pot Heal Boom on a wooden Spar Tree or with the #95 a Washington TL15 Track Loader on tongs .

  85. #85camptramp2021-12-21 23:25

    Gord Isacson Collection Malloch Family Album early Malloch & Mosley REO logging truck .

  86. #86Truck Shop2021-12-22 07:43

    Great photos!

  87. #87camptramp2021-12-22 19:49

    Gordy Isacson Collection , Malloch Family Album An early Logging truck of Malloch & Mosley . Looks like a General Motors Truck , but I'm not sure .

  88. #88Former Wrench2021-12-22 20:11

    If I had to guess, I'd say it is a White. But of course that's with at lease a 50% chance of being incorrect.

  89. #89Truck Shop2021-12-22 21:05

    REO, 46 to 1950. A C22 model I think.

  90. #90Truck Shop2021-12-22 21:56
  91. #91camptramp2021-12-23 23:04

    Gordy Isacson Collection . I'm not sure if this is Trav Rankin's original first truck or if his son "Cloned one" . But they sure did a fine job of restoring it .

  92. #92DMiller2021-12-24 09:14

    Makes me shudder as to that pup log bunk having Vacuum Chamber Brakes!!

  93. #93Truck Shop2021-12-24 11:21

    Oh those were wonderful brakes, a thrill at every turn.

  94. #94Birken Vogt2021-12-24 11:25

    Somebody enlighten me what were vacuum brakes. I have read about them in old driver manuals but never seen them or know what they are.

  95. #95Truck Shop2021-12-24 11:29

    Just that, vacuum instead of air. Except the chambers were larger. You could move the s-cams to opposite side and install air chambers.

  96. #96Birken Vogt2021-12-24 13:02

    I see. So in order to get the same force, if I am doing the math right, for a type 30 chamber x 90 psi that would be 2,700 lbs force which would be 14 psi vacuum on a 193 sq. inch chamber or 16 inches diameter. Or maybe a longer slack adjuster or different ramp rate on the cam head. Or just accept brakes that did not work as well. Probably all of the above. Did the brakes have a long application time getting vacuum back to the chambers? Was there a vacuum reservoir and relay valves? I could see a loss of force at high elevation where the air pressure was lower.

  97. #97John C.2021-12-24 13:06

    What I remember about vacuum brakes was a simple juice brake with a big vacuum amplifier chamber on the master cylinder.

  98. #98DMiller2021-12-24 13:34

    Were both Vacuum chambers were what started with then upped the game to vac applied hydraulics, not much better. Relied upon Engine vacuum no pumps so volume of use vanished in a heartbeat. Have only seen and worked antiques both styles.

  99. #99Truck Shop2021-12-24 17:25

    Your math is pretty close-The combination of a large chamber plus a longer slack arm to cam gave the braking force till vacuum ran dry. I changed out a two axle tilt bed equipment trailer 20 years ago from vacuum to air. It was straight forward-simple. Swapped s-cams from side to side, welded air chamber mounts to axle, mounted cans and slacks and used a FF2 valve. Used the vacuum reservoir for air tank.

  100. #100camptramp2021-12-24 18:39

    John Walker Collection Johns father a Gypo Logger working in Cowichan Valley

  101. #101Truck Shop2021-12-24 18:41

    Those are great photos!

  102. #102camptramp2021-12-24 18:49

    Lanny Seaton Collection Lanny's Father George Seaton a Gypo Logger operated in Langford , Sooke B.C.

  103. #103camptramp2021-12-24 18:55

    Lanny Seaton Collection G Seaton Bulldozing & Logging

  104. #104camptramp2021-12-24 18:58

    Lanny Seaton Collection G Seaton Bulldozing & Logging

  105. #105camptramp2021-12-24 19:00

    Lanny Seaton Collection G Seaton Bulldozing & Logging

  106. #106DMiller2021-12-24 19:54

    Can actually see the Vacuum Brake Linkage on the Dodge Bunk!! Chicago Couplers joined above Cab while truck seated.

  107. #107Truck Shop2021-12-24 20:16

    Those look like new york city couplers!

  108. #108DMiller2021-12-24 20:20

    Ugly infamous, come uncoupled at the MOST Inopportune moments, and used them on Vacuum Brakes as well Air Connections!!

  109. #109camptramp2021-12-24 22:53

    John Walker Collection John Walker senior GYPO LOGGER in Cowichan Valley

  110. #110camptramp2021-12-24 23:53

    Merry Christmas to All and to All A Good Night .

  111. #111camptramp2021-12-25 16:26

    An early picture of brothers Jim on left & Bill Neil on right . Bill Neil would own a fleet of Off Highway Logging Trucks hauling for Butler Brothers at Sooke in the 1960's - 1970's . This picture would have been taken in the Sooke area .

  112. #112DMiller2021-12-25 16:48

    Appears broke axle housing

  113. #113camptramp2021-12-25 17:03

    Yes it doe's look broken . But it wouldn't be long before Bill Neil would have it fixed and running .

  114. #114camptramp2021-12-25 18:29

    Chris Hearsey Collection Seems appropriate for this time of year .

  115. #115camptramp2021-12-26 14:52

    Bill Elliot Collection Harrison Logging Port Renfrew B.C.

  116. #116camptramp2021-12-26 23:16

    Braden Tuck Collection Neva Family Photos

  117. #117camptramp2021-12-26 23:22

    Braden Tuck Collection Neva Family Photos

  118. #118camptramp2021-12-26 23:30

    Braden Tuck Collection Neva Family Photos

  119. #119camptramp2021-12-26 23:32

    Brayden Tuck Collection Neva Family Photos

  120. #120camptramp2021-12-27 10:26

    Brayden Tuck Collection Neva Family Photos

  121. #121camptramp2021-12-27 10:29

    Braden Tuck Collection Neva Family Photo's

  122. #122camptramp2021-12-27 10:59

    I'm sorry I can't remember who lent me these pictures .

  123. #123Birken Vogt2021-12-27 11:31

    Was the steam donkey on its way to the museum, or would it just have been on its way to another job in these photos? How late did they still use these?

  124. #124camptramp2021-12-27 11:42

    I wish I knew . I would say it was either being moved to another work sight or being retired . By the look at the truck and pickup in picture , the picture was taken in late 1940's . The yarder is a "Steam Pot" so by 1950 I would say the era of Steam Power would pretty much be over .

  125. #125Birken Vogt2021-12-27 12:25

    I guess they had surveyed the route for low wires.

  126. #126camptramp2021-12-27 14:46

    That maybe parked on the main haul road passing through a Logging Camp . Wire's would not have been a problem .

  127. #127Truck Shop2021-12-27 19:49

    Thanks for the great photos!

  128. #128kshansen2021-12-27 20:06

    Is it just the camera angle or is there a problem with the left front wheel on that B Model?

  129. #129Truck Shop2021-12-27 20:13

    Looks like camera angle, the whole thing is sloping to the left side, even the drives are off.

  130. #130dirty4fun2021-12-27 20:23

    The main line the wires mostly run high along the side, if they cross they are very high. Yarders and Snorkel booms are hauled with the booms sticking up, not even boomed down.

  131. #131Bumpsteer2021-12-27 20:47

    Looking at those trucks its a miracle they made it down the mountain one time... Ed

  132. #132Truck Shop2021-12-27 20:53

    I've been around a lot of log trucks, rough use in those days was standard. A friend that logged in Alaska was pretty rough on his A model KW's-----D7 for pull.

  133. #133camptramp2021-12-27 23:02

    Cliff Halliday use to be Stan Harrison of Harrison Loggings right hand man he could Rig a spar tree , run a yarder or drive a logging Truck . Stan had bought a well used logging truck from Elders Logging at Sooke . Cliff was driving the logging truck . One morning Cliff was complaining to Stan about how rough the truck rode and he needed a decent seat . To which Stan replied " for Christ sakes Cliff I just gave you a new powder box last week' .

  134. #134camptramp2021-12-28 00:27

    A restored Diamond "T" logging truck at B.C. Forest Discovery Center Duncan B.C.

  135. #135camptramp2021-12-28 10:29

    Robertson Family Collection Bill Robertson standing by his restored International logging truck . Richie Rankin tells me this truck started out its working life in Victoria as a Concrete Mixer Truck .

  136. #136camptramp2021-12-28 13:09

    Bob Cook Collection I believe this is the one and only Logging Truck Madill built .

  137. #137camptramp2021-12-28 15:30
  138. #138camptramp2021-12-28 15:30
  139. #139Truck Shop2021-12-28 19:47

    Those are great historical photos. Black & whites from the early days don't see any flab on those men.

  140. #140camptramp2021-12-28 21:57

    Eric Saari Collection BCFP Harris Creek Camp

  141. #141camptramp2021-12-29 21:49

    Bob Cooke Collection

  142. #142mowingman2021-12-29 21:58

    That Madill log truck is very interesting. Anyone know what engine that rig had in it? Jeff

  143. #143camptramp2021-12-29 22:05

    Les Stewart Collection

  144. #144camptramp2021-12-29 22:40

    Eric Saari Collection

  145. #145camptramp2021-12-30 12:39

    Les Stewart Collection Les Stewart driving Logging Truck for Mangles Logging out of Courtney B.C.

  146. #146camptramp2021-12-30 22:17

    Les Stewart Collection

  147. #147camptramp2021-12-30 23:06

    Bruce Wilson Collection

  148. #148camptramp2021-12-31 18:37

    Pete Rigby Collection

  149. #149camptramp2021-12-31 19:05

    Bob Macmillen Collection It just seems like the right day to post this one . Hayes HDX at BCFP Caycuse Div.

  150. #150camptramp2021-12-31 21:53

    Brent Roland Collection

  151. #151camptramp2021-12-31 23:36

    Bob Macmillen Collection . BCFP Harris Creek Camp .

  152. #152camptramp2021-12-31 23:48

    Bob Macmillen Collection

  153. #153camptramp2022-01-01 10:37

    Pete Rigby Collection . Norie Brothers Logging

  154. #154Birken Vogt2022-01-01 11:02

    That is a sharp picture and the color balance had me look twice to see if it was taken with a modern digital camera.

  155. #155camptramp2022-01-01 11:32

    Bob Macmillen was a long time early employee of British Columbia Forest Products Co. Ltd. He was well educated , I believe with a Degree in Forestry . Starting out Timber Cruising for BCFP shortly after it was Incorporated in 1946 , retiring as a Camp Manager when Fletcher Challenge took over BCFP in the late 1980's . His son Pat is in possession of his pictures and slides , loaned them to me to copy . Most pictures were in the form of slides and I scanned them with a EPSON scanner . I would think Bob possessed a very good camera . I believe these pictures were taken in the late 1950's to early 1960's when BCFP was building their first and one of the first Dryland Log Sorting facilities on British Columbia's West Coast . I believe Bob Macmillen and Les Way traveled around the Pacific Northwest to gain knowledge of how DLS's worked .

  156. #156camptramp2022-01-01 14:29

    Pete Rigby Collection

  157. #157camptramp2022-01-01 14:34

    Pete Rigby Collection

  158. #158camptramp2022-01-01 14:49

    Bob James Collection

  159. #159camptramp2022-01-01 23:13

    Pete Rigby Collection Norie Brothers Logging

  160. #160camptramp2022-01-02 18:53

    Bruce Wilson Collection

  161. #161camptramp2022-01-02 19:48

    Norie Brothers Logging This Mack started its working life as a Rock Truck on construction at the St Lawrence Seaway . It was purchased by Norie Brothers and brought to Copley's shop at Cobble Hill B.C. and converted to a logging truck .

  162. #162camptramp2022-01-03 13:18

    Jim Falconer Collection

  163. #163camptramp2022-01-03 13:19
  164. #164donkey doctor2022-01-03 13:58

    I remember those truck trains at Nanaimo Lakes in the 1960s. I spent many nights on afternoon shift welding stake extensions on and building the pup trailers that went under the preload trailers. Long time ago now d.d.

  165. #165camptramp2022-01-03 18:38

    Randy Thompson Collection BCFP Harris Creek .

  166. #166camptramp2022-01-03 18:46

    John Walker Collection BCFP Harris Creek Camp

  167. #167camptramp2022-01-03 22:29

    Bob James Collection Jaskatla Q CI

  168. #168camptramp2022-01-03 22:31

    Bob James Collection Jaskatla QCI

  169. #169camptramp2022-01-04 19:06

    Brayden Tuck collection Neva Family Photo's

  170. #170camptramp2022-01-04 19:09

    Brayden Tuck Collection Neva Family Photo's

  171. #171camptramp2022-01-04 19:13

    Brayden Tuck Collection Neva Family Photo's

  172. #172camptramp2022-01-05 18:22

    Rob Norman Collection BCFP Caycuse Div.

  173. #173camptramp2022-01-05 18:24

    Rob Norman Collection BCFP Caycuse Div.

  174. #174camptramp2022-01-05 18:25

    Rob Norman Collection BCFP Caycuse Div.

  175. #175Truck Shop2022-01-05 18:52

    I believe the first Hayes trucks started in 1922, called Hayes Anderson trucks. Then in 1928 or 29 the Anderson was dropped and just Hayes name used. Nice photos camptramp, thanks for posting.

  176. #176colson042022-01-05 19:53

    @camptramp those pics are great. I love watching old logging or farming documentaries on YouTube to see how it was done way back when.

  177. #177camptramp2022-01-05 22:58

    Gord Isacson Collection Malloch Family Photo's Sooke B.C. Malloch & Mosley Logging

  178. #178camptramp2022-01-06 19:03

    Randy Thompson Collection ( Its one of those's day's . )

  179. #179camptramp2022-01-06 19:09

    Bob James Collection

  180. #180camptramp2022-01-06 22:35

    Ray Livingston Collection Elk River Timber

  181. #181Truck Shop2022-01-07 07:19

    That Mack LJ with the construction fenders is a odd one.

  182. #182camptramp2022-01-07 10:43

    Pete Rigby Collection Norie Brothers Logging

  183. #183camptramp2022-01-07 16:16

    Pete Rigby Collection Trav Rankin Log Haul

  184. #184camptramp2022-01-07 16:29

    Colin Rigby Collection

  185. #185mowingman2022-01-07 18:28

    Is that blue and white truck a Euclid? It sure looks a lot like a Euclid tractor unit.

  186. #186camptramp2022-01-07 18:58

    Its either a Euclid or Terex .

  187. #187camptramp2022-01-07 22:11

    Colin Rigby Collection

  188. #188dirty4fun2022-01-08 08:19

    That looks like quite a stick to be carrying around a corner!

  189. #189camptramp2022-01-08 22:48

    Randy Thompson Collection BCFP Harris Creek

  190. #190camptramp2022-01-08 23:00

    Bob James Collection Jaskatla QCI

  191. #191camptramp2022-01-08 23:01

    Bob James Collection Jaskatla QCI

  192. #192camptramp2022-01-08 23:16

    Pete Rigby Collection Norie Brothers Logging

  193. #193Old Doug2022-01-09 10:04

    Is there a saw mill that could handle that long of a log?

  194. #194petepilot2022-01-09 10:54

    Speak softly and carry a Big stick

  195. #195John C.2022-01-09 10:56

    I would guess long logs like that are turned into poles for power and phone lines. Other wise they would have been cut out in the woods to be easier to handle.

  196. #196camptramp2022-01-09 12:00

    My memory isn't what it use to be , so the next time I see Colin I'll inquire as to what those logs were for . They would be a specialty order . The one thing that I do recall , is that the fellow on the end of the log unhooking the "choker" ( which was caught in photo flying through the air) is the Yarder Operator . It seems he was the only one on the crew who was comfortable to walk out on log to do it .

  197. #197camptramp2022-01-09 12:07

    I would suspect this log is being transported to camp to be used as part of an "A frame " for dumping logging trucks at log dump .

  198. #198Hallback2022-01-09 16:15

    Boom sticks also

  199. #199camptramp2022-01-09 16:39

    Could be used on a "Booming Grounds" , but they look big and long , even for "Winter or West Coast " Boom sticks . The regular length for a boom stick is 66 feet and I haven't run across a boom stick I couldn't lift with a 599 American or Model 6 Northwest . Those logs look to be at least a 100 feet long .

  200. #200Hallback2022-01-09 18:12

    Ahh, I see the one you are referring to. Yes, way too large for a boom stick. I'd bet it was a bridge log.

  201. #201Truck Shop2022-01-09 20:12

    New RL700 mid 70's

  202. #202camptramp2022-01-09 21:42

    Jim Falconer Collection

  203. #203camptramp2022-01-09 21:50

    Gord Isaacson Collection Malloch Family Photo

  204. #204camptramp2022-01-09 21:53

    Randy Thompson Collection BCFP Harris Creek Camp

  205. #205camptramp2022-01-10 10:35

    Bob James Collection Sarita River

  206. #206camptramp2022-01-11 00:37

    Jim Falconer Collection

  207. #207camptramp2022-01-11 23:42

    Gord Isacson Collection

  208. #208camptramp2022-01-11 23:46

    Gord Isacson Collection Malloch Family Photo

  209. #209camptramp2022-01-11 23:49

    Bob James Collection

  210. #210Birken Vogt2022-01-12 00:15

    What kind of bridge would you classify that as? Sort of a cross between suspension and cable stayed.

  211. #211camptramp2022-01-12 22:41

    I would think a Professional Engineer would have a specific title for a Bridge such as this , but I only know it as a Suspension Bridge . For the distance of the span over a major river this would be one of the most cost efficient ways for a Forest Company to have a structure that would handle the weight . This picture is from the Les Way Collection . It is a Suspension Bridge crossing the San Juan River , It was built around1957-58 when the logging rail road between Bear Cr. Camp and Beach Camp was shut down . The Bear Cr. road system on the South side of the San Juan Valley was connected to the Harris Cr M/L on the North side of the San Juan valley to haul logs to Log Dump at the North Arm of the San Juan River . The Bear Cr. "Skidder" was taken to Harris Cr. Camp for a new Sleigh .

  212. #212camptramp2022-01-12 22:49

    Les Way Collection . Bear Cr. Skidder crossing San Juan River Suspension Bridge on way back to Bear Cr area to go back to work for a few more years .

  213. #213camptramp2022-01-13 21:42

    Bob James Collection

  214. #214camptramp2022-01-13 21:46

    Al Lundgren Collection Hillcrest Lumber Co.

  215. #215camptramp2022-01-14 23:06

    Pete Rigby Collection Trav Rankin Log Haul

  216. #216camptramp2022-01-14 23:13

    Ray Livingston Collection Elk River

  217. #217camptramp2022-01-15 23:32

    Jim Falconer Collection

  218. #218camptramp2022-01-15 23:35

    Gord Isacson Collection

  219. #219camptramp2022-01-17 21:50

    Bob James Collection

  220. #220Truck Shop2022-01-18 07:45

    Those would make great OTR trucks-no extra lights-and not many exhaust leaks to chase-all trucks and cars should have a rusty stack straight out the hood. That would look good on a new Chevy Suburban.

  221. #221Crummy2022-01-18 08:26

    There's a Ford flatbed loggers truck running around here with the stack right out the hood. If I see it I'll try and get a pic without getting shot.

  222. #222camptramp2022-01-18 10:12

    All the Guy's that drove those "Old Bone Shakers" with straight pipes out of the Hood are / were wearing Hearing Aids .

  223. #223John C.2022-01-18 10:51

    Huh?

  224. #224Truck Shop2022-01-18 13:44

    Make it tough to hear the echo box.

  225. #225camptramp2022-01-18 23:22

    Ray Livingston Collection Elk River Timber

  226. #226camptramp2022-01-18 23:32

    Toby Hird Collection Butler Brothers Sooke

  227. #227camptramp2022-01-18 23:48

    Les Way Collection BCFP Harris Cr.

  228. #228camptramp2022-01-19 22:32

    Gord Isacson Collection Malloch Family Photos All Sooke Day's Parade

  229. #229camptramp2022-01-19 22:41

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  230. #230camptramp2022-01-19 22:42

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  231. #231camptramp2022-01-19 22:47

    Grd Isacson Collection Malloch Family Photo's All Sooke Day Parade

  232. #232camptramp2022-01-19 22:55

    Toby Hird Collection Butler Brother Sooke

  233. #233camptramp2022-01-20 23:12

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  234. #234camptramp2022-01-20 23:14

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  235. #235camptramp2022-01-20 23:16

    Les Way Collection

  236. #236MikeKB2022-01-21 15:35

    It is a 1940 open cab GMC CCKW 6x6. This truck was used in the second world war for transporting supplies it was part of the red ball express where they used African-American drivers to move supplies from Normandy to the front line. This is probably the truck that was used for hauling Bailey Bridges parts as it had a log bunk and trailer. It would be easily converted to haul logs

  237. #237camptramp2022-01-21 19:15

    Bob James Collection Roy Saunders Hauling

  238. #238camptramp2022-01-21 19:21

    Ray Livingston Collection Elk River

  239. #239Hallback2022-01-21 21:11

    Now those photos are just plain neat!!

  240. #240camptramp2022-01-21 22:08

    Ian Brown Collection CZ Nitinat Div.

  241. #241camptramp2022-01-21 22:25

    Ray Livingston Collection Elk River

  242. #242camptramp2022-01-21 22:28

    BCFP Renfrew Div.

  243. #243Hallback2022-01-22 08:34

    Imagine the poor soul having to walk that yarder over the back onto that low bed.

  244. #244camptramp2022-01-22 22:47

    Les Way Collection

  245. #245camptramp2022-01-22 23:00

    Ernie Harrison Collection Trav Rankin Contract Hauling , driver "The Cougar Hunter" the late Louie Holman

  246. #246camptramp2022-01-22 23:06

    Jim Backlund Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. driver "The Last Locie Engineer at Renfrew" the late Waddy Weeks

  247. #247camptramp2022-01-22 23:17

    Bob MacMillen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div.

  248. #248Truck Shop2022-01-23 20:55

    1979.

  249. #249Hallback2022-01-23 21:46

    C15, disk brakes all around, custom front axle for great turning radius, 46's with lockers.

  250. #250Hallback2022-01-23 21:47

    I will be getting it when he retires.

  251. #251Truck Shop2022-01-23 22:05

    It's probably got a 961 front axle like the later 900's I would guess, originally had a 931. Nice rig except for the air disc-just my two cents-hate'em.

  252. #252camptramp2022-01-23 22:33

    BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-284 at Shoal I. DLS

  253. #253camptramp2022-01-23 22:35

    BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-284 at Shoal I. DLS

  254. #254camptramp2022-01-23 22:46

    Les Way Collection

  255. #255camptramp2022-01-23 22:48

    Les Way Collection

  256. #256camptramp2022-01-23 22:50

    Les Way Collection

  257. #257camptramp2022-01-24 00:39

    Les Way Collection

  258. #258camptramp2022-01-25 00:05

    Nice truck , looks like the haul road is well maintained . The logs look to be from a burned area .

  259. #259camptramp2022-01-25 00:08

    Les Way collection , Looks like the first "Butler Truck " Built .

  260. #260camptramp2022-01-25 00:10

    Les Way Collection

  261. #261camptramp2022-01-25 00:15

    Les Way Collection Kenworth with a "Courtenay Heel B oom"

  262. #262John C.2022-01-25 00:28

    Love the self loader.

  263. #263camptramp2022-01-25 00:30

    Hillcrest Lumber Co.

  264. #264Hallback2022-01-25 08:16

    Yessir, that is in the Molalla Oregon area burn.

  265. #265camptramp2022-01-25 13:07

    A forest fire is alway's a Loggers worst night mare . Cleaning up after a fire is a dirty job . But I'm glad to see some of the burnt timber is being salvaged .

  266. #266Hallback2022-01-25 16:31

    Sad part is they lost 40 years of stock so it's gonna be interesting to see how the industry progresses considering the political climate of that state and now they have traction to "regulate" (shut down) the industry.

  267. #267525isx2022-01-25 17:36

    Dick bought that from DSU when I traded it for my first new Pete in '88

  268. #268Hallback2022-01-25 19:16

    Nice! That's when he left Stencel

  269. #269camptramp2022-01-25 19:43

    Bob MacMillen Collection

  270. #270camptramp2022-01-25 19:44

    Bob MacMillen Co llection

  271. #271camptramp2022-01-25 20:02

    Bob James Collection

  272. #272Birken Vogt2022-01-25 22:18

    Another couple of pictures of such quality that they look like they were taken with a modern camera at a reenactment or something.

  273. #273camptramp2022-01-25 23:19

    Pat MacMillen has shared his pictures and his father Bob MacMillen's slides that I scanned . I would think Bob had a very good camera to produce these pictures . The subjects of the pictures are Malloch & Mosley at Muir Cr. just west of Sooke B.C. mid - late 1960's

  274. #274camptramp2022-01-25 23:23

    Les Way Collection Harris Cr.

  275. #275camptramp2022-01-26 21:55

    Bob James Collection Beban Logging Wakeman Sound

  276. #276camptramp2022-01-26 21:59

    Bayden Tuck Collection

  277. #277camptramp2022-01-26 22:13

    Ray Livingston Collection

  278. #278camptramp2022-01-26 23:00

    Rob Norman Collection BCFP Caycuse

  279. #279camptramp2022-01-27 21:59

    Bob James Collection Beban Logging Wakeman Sound

  280. #280camptramp2022-01-27 22:04

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  281. #281camptramp2022-01-27 22:06

    Rob Norman Collection BCFP Caycuse Div.

  282. #282Hallback2022-01-28 09:03
  283. #283camptramp2022-01-28 22:39

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  284. #284camptramp2022-01-28 22:46

    Bob MacMillen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. This must be a picture of the #225 HDX Hayes pulling the #717 Burger Tower when it was fairly new , as the paint looks fresh along with the chrome stack . This truck also appeared at the "Truck Loggers " convention in Vancouver B.C.

  285. #285camptramp2022-01-28 22:58

    Chris Hearsey Collection An 849 or 850 Kenworth preloader at work at Northwestern Alberta .

  286. #286jim-in-so-ore2022-01-28 23:51

    Not a reply but a ? What brand of truck is that way back in post #193? It looks to have a one piece windshield. Thanks, Jim

  287. #287camptramp2022-01-29 00:00

    That truck was originally a Mach Rock Truck that worked on the St Lawrence Seaway in Eastern Canada . I believe Norrie Brothers Logging brought 2 of them to B.C. and had them converted to logging trucks at Copley's Shop in Cobble Hill B.C.

  288. #288colson042022-01-29 08:28

    How much would a load like this weigh? Total gross of the load vs. net weight of the logs?

  289. #289Truck Shop2022-01-29 19:12

    I'll take a long shot--130,000 gvw-100,000 net-again wild guess.

  290. #290Hallback2022-01-29 21:02

    I'm saying 45k tare, 150k gross

  291. #291Truck Shop2022-01-29 21:19

    The tare was the hard guess.

  292. #292camptramp2022-01-29 22:42

    Chris Hearsey Collection That's quite a pile of logs on that load . And the stakes are high , but with the logs are loaded butt ahead , the trailer looks light .

  293. #293camptramp2022-01-29 23:18

    Les Way Collection Quite often at BCFP Renfrew Div. the lowbed was sent out to haul over size "Butt Logs" . There was an old Spruce Butt that had a lot of rot in it laying on the ground behind the Rec Hall at the old Harris Cr. Camp . It was a point of interest even after the camp was shut down and moved to a new site at the North arm of San Juan River . This maybe the same Spruce Butt .

  294. #294camptramp2022-01-29 23:33

    Rob Norman Collection BCFP Caycuse Div

  295. #295dirty4fun2022-01-30 07:25

    When I was there a few years back as I remember the truck and trailer were close to 80K we were hauling 250K of logs. The grade coming down was maximum of 30% it took about 300 gallons of water each trip to cool the brake drums.

  296. #296Mike L2022-01-30 14:15

    Northern maine I believe

  297. #297camptramp2022-01-30 22:28

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  298. #298camptramp2022-01-30 22:37

    Bob James Collection

  299. #299camptramp2022-01-30 22:44

    Rob Norman Collection

  300. #300Hallback2022-01-31 00:14

    Oh how I wish I was born in the 40s.....

  301. #301Truck Shop2022-01-31 07:20

    Then you would wish you were born in the 30's. lol

  302. #302Hallback2022-01-31 08:01

    Very true. I'm just tired of grown "men" who are lazy, miss days because they are sick every other week, zero accountability for anything and don't strive to produce more than they did yesterday. Ok, Rant over. For now.

  303. #303Crummy2022-01-31 08:46

    @Hallback you'd like the the-woods-are-his-life old boy here in the neighborhood- in his 80's and rides around on a 4x4 ATV "checking up" on the single old ladies and stopping by the shops of the guys he's decided aren't girly-boys. I've never seen him not wearing worn-in greased up leather lace logger boots, frayed bottom jeans, hickory shirt. He wanted in the game the worst way with the fires last summer, come by with maps he'd printed up of the fire lines.

  304. #304Truck Shop2022-01-31 09:25

    Tell me about it, It's why I'm glad for being born in the 50's. Not long for me to move on.

  305. #305John C.2022-01-31 10:19

    I suppose that attitude might come from parents who figured their kid was never going to go through what they had to. Grandpa lived through two world wars and traveled this country by hopping on freight trains. Dad went through the second world war as did all my uncles and two of them went through Korea as well. I hit the lotto and missed Vietnam by a year or so and my kids only heard about Reagan's little skirmishes for popularity and watched from afar the mess that is the middle east. My son in law volunteered to go to both of the sand boxes and work in the hospitals and I'm proud of that. His character really shows through. Not too many others impress me now days, but there are a few. So maybe we need to reinstitute the draft and force a period of national service on all citizens? But then you would have all the high school constitutional scholars claiming that it would be a violation of their rights.

  306. #306dieseldog5.92022-01-31 10:42

    Golden Road possibly?

  307. #307Mike L2022-01-31 10:50

    I think that guy is out of fort Kent so I would guess that he’s probably hauling out of the allagash. Maybe the realty road.

  308. #308camptramp2022-01-31 11:20

    The more educated and pampered our society becomes with numerous safety nets available to those who choose to dilly dally through life , the more Mechanized technology and artificial intelligence is taking over our labour force . I'm not saying there are no hard working folks out there , because there are . But few are willing to get out in the elements and shed a little sweat to bring home a pay cheque . Prior to the 1950's there were few safety nets and a good man was embarrassed to live on welfare . Sometime in the 1960's a segment of our population discovered they could live on Welfare and /or Unemployed Insurance . Things have been on a long downhill run since then . In the 1930's workers would litterly fight for a "Job" and be productive to hold a "Job" , now there are "Help Wanted" signs everywhere you look . While able body souls panhandle on the same street . Here is one for you Hallback a Woods foreman Bob Robertson had a caption taped to his pickup headliner above the rear view mirror " Man has never been known to drown in his own sweat "

  309. #309Truck Shop2022-01-31 11:59

    The days of going the extra mile have long been gone. I think of it as something as simple as this, {you see a nail on the ground in front of you-are you going to pick it up? The tire you save might be your own.

  310. #310camptramp2022-01-31 15:21

    I'm with you on that one . When I was in the woods every bit of wire or rail road spike's (some of our haul roads were former Rail Grades)I seen was tossed away over the lower side of road . When I drove Gravel Truck in town , if I had any idle time , it was spent picking up nails or anything that could get in a tire . And some people actually questioned what I was doing . And I ended up with a fair supply of nail's and screw's . LOL

  311. #311Hallback2022-01-31 19:21

    You guys are exactly right! When the guys cut off the tails from splicing and just drop them there on the landing it infuriates me throw the stuff over the hill, throw it in the back of the bus and throw it in the dumpster at our shop. Take 5 minutes and pick the place up so our landing doesn't look like Harlem. People are just flat lazy. There are some good workers but when I started in the woods you had to fight for your job and outrun the next guy to keep it. Now if somebody shows up 4 days a week they act like you owe them the world

  312. #312Hank R2022-01-31 20:53

    When I was in my 20's in the 70's drank my share but never missed a days work. Now a days any reason not to go to work is all they need to blow a shift.

  313. #313camptramp2022-01-31 22:05

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  314. #314camptramp2022-01-31 22:08

    Bob James Collection

  315. #315camptramp2022-01-31 22:12

    Rob Norman Collection

  316. #316Jumbo2022-01-31 23:41

    Now that is an interesting way to run around picking up small corners and ROW...

  317. #317tpitt2022-02-01 00:58

    A truck I used to drive for awhile. KTA 550 with a 6&4 Nice truck!

  318. #318skyking12022-02-01 20:25

    It is interesting all right, picking off rubber. I do it when moving in and out of jobs. It can get a little hairy!

  319. #319camptramp2022-02-01 21:43

    I would think they are picking up logs on the road side , lost off loaded trucks on way to dump .There may not be a brow log near the loading site to off load the log loader over the side of lowbed . And walking those old track machines any distance would be slow and costly . But I sit here and cringe thinking of the strain on the lowbed and truck suspension , that is a Washington TL15 and probably weights between 80-90 tons . If you have ever walked a log loader that big on to a drop center lowbed , when you hit center you feel it and when you swing around to have the boom and counter weight to line up with the lowbed , it tends to sway side to side . I suspect the operator is getting quite a ride .

  320. #320Truck Shop2022-02-01 21:57

    Camptramp-would you have a photo of a B81 Mack with a monster of a guy {Uncle High Pants} standing next to it? Taken in 1958.

  321. #321John C.2022-02-01 22:09

    That isn't any ordinary low boy and truck, and the shovel is loaded from the side. The gents in the photo look to have done a lot of this kind of work. It also strikes me of the kind of things that were done in those days.

  322. #322camptramp2022-02-01 22:24

    Sorry , but I don't think so .

  323. #323camptramp2022-02-01 22:36

    It might been something that was done before my time in the woods , but it is the first time I have seen it done . Mind you the camp I started at had a Washington TL6 on a rubber tire carrier that was very mobile .

  324. #324camptramp2022-02-02 00:38

    Les Way Collection BCFP Harris Cr. camp #203 HDX Hayes

  325. #325dirty4fun2022-02-02 06:16
  326. #326camptramp2022-02-03 21:31

    Bob James Collection

  327. #327camptramp2022-02-03 21:36

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  328. #328camptramp2022-02-03 21:40

    Rob Norman Collection

  329. #329camptramp2022-02-04 16:16

    Les Way Collection BCFP Harris Cr.

  330. #330camptramp2022-02-04 21:37

    Les Way Collection BCFP Harris Cr.

  331. #331camptramp2022-02-04 21:40

    Bob James Collection Beban Logging Wakeman Sound

  332. #332camptramp2022-02-04 21:44

    Rob Norman Collection Timberwest HBO Div.

  333. #333camptramp2022-02-05 22:49

    Les Way Collection BCFP Harris Cr. The paint looks fairly fresh on the #203 logging truck . I wonder if this is a picture of the #203 when it was converted from a "conventional logging truck" to a " preloader logging truck"

  334. #334camptramp2022-02-05 23:06

    Ray Livingston Collection Elk River

  335. #335camptramp2022-02-05 23:09

    Ian Brown Collection

  336. #336mowingman2022-02-06 08:55

    I think this is the first photo I have ever seen of a Cat log truck.

  337. #337kshansen2022-02-06 09:44

    Looks like the early 769 Cats we had at the quarry years back!

  338. #338colson042022-02-06 09:46

    Sure looks stout enough to carry the load.

  339. #339mekanik2022-02-06 10:57

    Back in the early 1980s a large logging contractor in my area shut down and sold off their fleet of Pacific P16s and Hayes HDX and Kenworth 850 logging trucks. Another logging contarctor bought ten of them at auction for very little money. The shop I worked at took a few of those trucks and replaces the V12 Detroit's with Cummins KT19 engines and replaced the Allison transmissions with 12 speed Mack transmissions, rebuilt the Clark BD-91000 diffs and whatever else they needed. That engine transmission combination worked out well for the mountains around here. At the same auction another logger picked up a five year old Kenworth 848 log truck with a V12 Detroit and a 15 speed fuller and 4640 diffs with trailer ready to go to work for $2500.

  340. #340Truck Shop2022-02-06 11:54

    That was a good move-get rid of those 12's.

  341. #341camptramp2022-02-06 22:11

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  342. #342camptramp2022-02-06 22:14

    Ray Livingston Collection

  343. #343camptramp2022-02-06 22:22

    Rob Norman Collection

  344. #344petepilot2022-02-06 23:37

    now i`ve seen it all`a solid rubber tired railway. any thing that works

  345. #345petepilot2022-02-06 23:40

    that little ford looks so out of place

  346. #346Bumpsteer2022-02-07 00:00

    Wasn't going to be a good day if you wandered off the "road". Ed

  347. #347camptramp2022-02-07 00:26

    There are area's on Vancouver Island and Inlet Valley bottoms that are Swampy . The easiest way to get early Truck Logging access was using " For and Aft " plank roads . Some time around 1910 - 1920 there were logging trucks with hard rubber tires . There is a Republic logging truck restored at the B.C. Forest Discovery Center at Duncan B.C.

  348. #348camptramp2022-02-07 00:45

    Swan Neva had several 850 Ford Gravel Trucks of that era , it doesn't suprise me he had one set up for hauling logs. .

  349. #349camptramp2022-02-07 21:51

    Ian Brown Collection

  350. #350camptramp2022-02-08 00:20

    I was looking at this picture and could see a Madill 009 Steel Tower on left side . I could also see some kind of loading Boom sticking out from behind a sapling over the road . This picture was taken at CZ Nitinat Div. . There was a Contract side working there around the time this picture was taken . I can't remember the name , but they had a one off Madill 009 tower that had a hydraulic loading boom mounted on it . I think that is the one . The down side of it was , you couldn't move the tower to a new setting until the last load of logs was gone .

  351. #351camptramp2022-02-08 00:27

    Rob Norman Collection BCFP Caycuse Div.

  352. #352donkey doctor2022-02-08 00:33

    Ah. The Skadill again! Never saw it but it was a legend around the plant. d.d.

  353. #353camptramp2022-02-08 00:35

    Rob Norman Collection BCFP Caycuse

  354. #354camptramp2022-02-08 00:37

    Rob Norman Collection BCFP Caycuse Div.

  355. #355Jumbo2022-02-08 21:42

    Looking at this reminds me of the story; a bunch of ladies of the era came out to see real honest to goodness loggers at work. Upon watching the second loader brand logs as they were placed on the truck, one exclaimed: "Look at that little fellow with his hammer driving the logs into place with only one or two wacks!" It is a story I heard years ago, I'm sure it has been around since the beginning of truck logging.

  356. #356camptramp2022-02-08 23:45

    Rob Norman Collection

  357. #357camptramp2022-02-08 23:51

    Bob James Collection

  358. #358camptramp2022-02-08 23:54

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  359. #359Old Doug2022-02-09 08:53

    I would like to drive one of those hard rubber tire trucks with a load to see what it was like back then.

  360. #360Truck Shop2022-02-09 09:54

    Preparation H.

  361. #361camptramp2022-02-09 22:23

    BCFP Renfrew Div. Fall 1983 or 84

  362. #362camptramp2022-02-09 22:28

    Les Way Collection

  363. #363camptramp2022-02-09 22:37

    Rob Norman Collection

  364. #364petepilot2022-02-09 22:41

    pucker time

  365. #365petepilot2022-02-09 22:47

    never got to drive one but did ride on one over a 3 mile parade route you can feel the paint lines cross intersections

  366. #366John C.2022-02-10 00:56

    Moving the iron down the mountain before the snow locks it in for a month or two?

  367. #367Old Doug2022-02-10 09:23

    I saw a IH truck at a show they had alot of info on it . It had been driven from The center of Iowa to Denver 2 times and no telling were else .Back then you would have thought they would have used the train. I read a story about a guy delevering a new truck he thought it would take x amount of time to make the trip if he drove it just below 20 mph i dont think he ever made it into the double mphs.

  368. #368camptramp2022-02-10 22:24

    Al Lundgren Collection

  369. #369camptramp2022-02-10 22:26

    Les Way Collection

  370. #370camptramp2022-02-10 22:31
  371. #371Jumbo2022-02-11 00:14

    Now that really looks like the end of season in the high country. No leaves on the trees and the fire truck helping brake the tower down the hill. Back to the yard for winter. Course it could be early spring and the fire truck helping push the tower up the hill...

  372. #372camptramp2022-02-11 00:26

    It would be pushing the Madill 009 up the hill .

  373. #373camptramp2022-02-11 22:03

    Bruce Wilson Collection BCFP Harris Cr. Camp

  374. #374camptramp2022-02-11 22:08

    Rob Norman Collection

  375. #375camptramp2022-02-11 22:13

    Randy Thompson Collection PCB Logging contractor , Trav Rankin Log Haul trucker

  376. #376camptramp2022-02-12 23:36

    Ian Brown Collection CZ Kyuquot Div.

  377. #377camptramp2022-02-12 23:44

    Bill Neil's last HDX Hayes crossing bridge at bottom of TR 11 BCFP Renfrew Div.

  378. #378camptramp2022-02-12 23:51

    Don Patrick Collection . BCFP Renfrew Div. Trailer reload was built at Gordon River Camp Shop ( by Don Patrick ) then hauled down and set up at Honeymoon Bay DLS

  379. #379camptramp2022-02-13 00:00

    My own pictures of Trailer Reload arriving at Honeymoon Bay DLS

  380. #380camptramp2022-02-13 00:43

    An 7220 American "Cherry Picker" had been flirting with "Old Man Winter" on top of Harris Cr. 1400 in late Fall . One night the snow level dropped down to the valley bottom , it was time to get the Loader off the hill top . It was an interesting day . I was following the lowbed around as the "Push Truck" . While we were getting the Loader off HC 1400 , the snow was piling up on the "Gordon River Summit" (always a snow belt) on the Gordon River M/L. By mid morning the Camp was shut down for the rest of the day . By the time the Lowbed had been snubbed down to a lower level on HC 1400 , the snow in the Upper Harris was turning to slush . Lowbed driver Tom Worth headed down the Harris Cr. M/L to the mouth of the San Juan River near Port Renfrew , then headed up the Gordon River M/L . The lowbed dropped the "Cherry Picker" off at Bugaboo Cr. several miles up the Gordon River M/L . Tom headed up the Gordon R. M/L towards the Gordon R. Shop . If the road conditions got bad he would let me know . I stayed with the "Cherry Picker" and got loaded . When I got to Gordon R. Shop there was but a bit of shush on the road , I figured that I would continue . If the going got to bad I would find a wide spot and park the truck . When I got to the Gordon R. Summit , there was snow on the road , but I was still cutting through to the gravel . A couple of miles down along Sutton Cr. , your out of the Snow Belt and it was clear sailing . I got to Honeymoon Bay DLS just after 3:00 . I parked the loaded truck there , the biggest challenge of the day was finding a ride from Honeymoon bay home to Duncan , as all the commuter Buses had already left for Duncan .

  381. #381camptramp2022-02-13 23:34

    Oz Nelson Collection

  382. #382camptramp2022-02-13 23:38

    Rob Norman Collection

  383. #383camptramp2022-02-13 23:42

    Bob James Collection

  384. #384kshansen2022-02-14 06:45

    Don't think that will fit in my splitter for firewood!

  385. #385John C.2022-02-14 10:09

    The size of the sticks being hauled is just amazing.

  386. #386camptramp2022-02-15 00:44

    Oz Nelson Collection

  387. #387camptramp2022-02-15 00:45

    Oz Nelson Collection

  388. #388camptramp2022-02-15 00:50

    Don Patrick Collection Timberwest Gordon River Shop

  389. #389Truck Shop2022-02-15 19:54

    Found that photo of the B81 with Uncle High Pants, 1958.

  390. #390camptramp2022-02-15 23:10

    Les Way Collection

  391. #391camptramp2022-02-15 23:15

    Bob MacMillen Collection

  392. #392camptramp2022-02-15 23:24

    Rob Norman Collection

  393. #393camptramp2022-02-16 21:54

    Rob Norman Collection

  394. #394camptramp2022-02-16 22:01

    Bob MacMillen Collection

  395. #395camptramp2022-02-16 22:05

    Bob MacMillen Collection M&B Chemainus (Copper Canyon) Div.

  396. #396camptramp2022-02-17 22:44

    BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-244 HDX Hayes driver John Elliott

  397. #397camptramp2022-02-17 23:46

    Rob Norman Collection

  398. #398John C.2022-02-18 10:17

    Diving down around that corner with that load has got to raise the tension level in the driver. Jakes will be barking and the brakes drums will glow. One eye on the road and the other on the air pressure gauge.

  399. #399Truck Shop2022-02-18 13:46

    Then wire falls of the jake micro switch.

  400. #400Hayesno12022-02-18 17:59

    I just wonder where is the water tank for cooling breaks on tha CAT logging truck? Thank you Al for doing a great job and your spare times for publishing Rob Norman, Bob MacMillin, Oz Nelson, Bob James collections and many more.

  401. #401camptramp2022-02-18 22:44
  402. #402JPV2022-02-18 23:01

    Here some nice fir I hauled today, that is about as much log as that 538 with a dangle head processor wanted to load.

  403. #403camptramp2022-02-18 23:57

    Rob Norman Collection

  404. #404camptramp2022-02-18 23:59

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  405. #405Bluox2022-02-19 00:07

    769s came with a retarder. Bob

  406. #406Hayesno12022-02-19 03:54

    Thanks Bob

  407. #407kshansen2022-02-19 08:54

    It's been many years since I worked on those 769's but I was thinking what they had was the rear the rear brakes were wet disks with large oil cooling lines running to an oil cooler on the side of the engine. Do recall there was what some referred to as a "trolley valve" on the right side of the steering column that applied the rear brakes and would hold pressure at any point in the range of the valve. This was different than the set up on the Euclids and off-highway Macks which had a large paddle wheel inside the Allison transmission that had the cavity filled with oil when retarder was engaged to cause drag on the driveline of the truck. One problem with that design was if you had a hose failure while descending a steep grade things would go bad fast! We had one operator learn that fast one day. Picture a fully loaded 65 ton off-highway Mack running away and doing a end over flip in to a ditch where the haul road made a 90º left turn.

  408. #408camptramp2022-02-19 22:59

    Rob Norman Collection

  409. #409camptramp2022-02-19 23:07

    Randy Thompson Collection

  410. #410camptramp2022-02-19 23:09

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  411. #411Chopper952022-02-19 23:23

    Never actually seen anyone run a hay rack out west before, always a pole trailer. Is your last axle steerable or just a lift? How bad is getting in and out of jobs? Obviously not going to many yarder landings I would guess. I'm on the fence about picking up a tractor to run a hay rack, lowboy, big dump, etc versus sticking with a dump truck and pup combo / hiring out the big moves as usual

  412. #412JPV2022-02-20 03:42

    We use the hayrack when the job allows it which seems to be about 50 percent of the time. I bounce between that tractor pulling the lowbed or the hayrack and the long logger. If the shovel operator and driver are on the same page you can turn them around in some pretty tight spots. I like it because it can haul anything, both short and long logs. It's nice to not have to back off on weight like you do when hauling shorter logs on a long logger. On the jobs we can't use it we hire a mule train to haul the short logs which is mainly pulp. It also gets used a lot for yard hauling logs between sorting yards and sawmills. That trailer was a two axle tra iler and we added the third lift axle further back which is not steerable. It works pretty good because it pulls like a shorter trailer than it is in the woods with the lift axle up and then axles the weight out really nice with the axle down. Here is the long logger.

  413. #413camptramp2022-02-20 23:42

    Rob Norman Collection

  414. #414camptramp2022-02-20 23:44

    Rob Norman Collection

  415. #415camptramp2022-02-20 23:52

    Bob James Collection

  416. #416camptramp2022-02-22 00:06

    Rob Norman Collection

  417. #417camptramp2022-02-22 00:10

    BCFP Malibu Div. 1977

  418. #418camptramp2022-02-22 00:15

    BCFP Malibu Div. We were working around the 3500 - 4000 Ft. level , 14 switch backs and a turn around to sea level .

  419. #419camptramp2022-02-22 10:16

    BCFP Malibu Div.

  420. #420John C.2022-02-22 11:05

    I can't imagine throwing wrappers over those loads. Did the shovel lift them over?

  421. #421camptramp2022-02-22 12:48

    When the loader operator finished the load , he would hang the grapples down by the center of load. I use to stretch the wrappers out so one ended by the front bunk and one ended by the back bunk , place the chains in the grapple and step in the clear . After the loader placed the wrappers over load , flip the front wrapper forward and rear wrapper back .

  422. #422camptramp2022-02-23 22:04

    Rob Norman Collection

  423. #423camptramp2022-02-23 22:12

    Mike Green Collection

  424. #424camptramp2022-02-23 22:17

    Les Way Collection

  425. #425Jumbo2022-02-24 18:53

    When was the first photo taken? The last wood trailer reloader I ever saw collapsed from disuse in the 1970s. It appears that the photo is much newer than that.

  426. #426camptramp2022-02-24 21:59

    Les Way Collection A picture of the same reload when new , the trailer reload was originally built in 1961-62 , I'm not sure if it was ever replaced . The picture of the loaded log trucks was taken around the late 1970's . The trailer reload was removed in 1983 .

  427. #427camptramp2022-02-24 22:07

    Bob MacMillen Collection

  428. #428camptramp2022-02-25 21:43

    Mike Green Collection

  429. #429camptramp2022-02-25 21:48

    Tom Worth Collection

  430. #430camptramp2022-02-25 21:52

    Tom Worth Collection

  431. #431JPV2022-02-25 22:20

    Now how did they get the back steer wheel up there? That is a great example of how big that trailer is seeing that thing on there!

  432. #432camptramp2022-02-26 00:39

    I wasn't there when the Log Stacker was put on lowbed , but when the loading ramps are down and the push bar is down it wouldn't take much blocking to build a ramp for steering tires to ride up on rear deck . This picture of a Grapple Yarder on lowbed gives you an idea what can be done .

  433. #433camptramp2022-02-26 23:54
  434. #434camptramp2022-02-26 23:58
  435. #435camptramp2022-02-27 00:00
  436. #436camptramp2022-02-27 23:21

    Tom Worth Collection

  437. #437camptramp2022-02-27 23:32

    Rob Norman Collection

  438. #438camptramp2022-02-27 23:34

    Rob Norman Collection

  439. #439camptramp2022-02-27 23:35

    Rob Norman Collect ion

  440. #440bccat2022-02-28 01:27

    I had lots of those Pioneer Work jackets over the yrs, light, waterproof & warm, wished you still could get ‘em ,all their stuff was good

  441. #441Hallback2022-02-28 08:57

    As always, thank you for sharing!!

  442. #442camptramp2022-02-28 22:36

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  443. #443camptramp2022-02-28 22:38

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  444. #444camptramp2022-02-28 22:47

    Gord Isacson Collection Making the most of a bad situation .

  445. #445camptramp2022-02-28 22:57

    Gord Isacson Rivers Inlet

  446. #446petepilot2022-02-28 23:10

    just keepin busy while the ol hoss takes a nap

  447. #447Jumbo2022-03-01 17:11

    Might as well check the bushings and replace them if needed at the same time.

  448. #448camptramp2022-03-01 23:05

    Les Way Collection

  449. #449camptramp2022-03-01 23:40

    Les Way Collection

  450. #450camptramp2022-03-01 23:41

    Les Way Collection

  451. #451camptramp2022-03-02 19:21

    Bob James Collection

  452. #452camptramp2022-03-02 19:22

    Les Way Collection

  453. #453camptramp2022-03-02 19:28

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  454. #454Truck Shop2022-03-03 07:45

    Bridge of logs built in 1903.

  455. #455Hank R2022-03-03 10:36

    I can not guess how long it took to build that bridge or man power back then huge job for sure.

  456. #456John C.2022-03-03 18:17

    When they were done they picked up the rails and all the logs.

  457. #457camptramp2022-03-03 22:26

    Les Way Collection

  458. #458camptramp2022-03-03 22:29

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  459. #459camptramp2022-03-03 22:35

    Bob James Collection

  460. #460camptramp2022-03-03 22:53

    Ian Brown Collection

  461. #461camptramp2022-03-04 21:59

    Les Way Collection

  462. #462camptramp2022-03-04 22:08

    Bill Elliot Collection

  463. #463camptramp2022-03-04 22:13

    Ernie Harrison Collection

  464. #464camptramp2022-03-05 22:21

    Ernie Harrison

  465. #465camptramp2022-03-05 22:26

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  466. #466camptramp2022-03-05 22:29

    Les Way Collection

  467. #467camptramp2022-03-05 22:32

    Ernie Harrison Collection When the first American 7220 arrived at BCFP Renfrew Div. the top of the gantry was to high to clear X brace on pillars when on lowbed so it was unloaded and walked across bridge . At a later date the X braces were raised higher .

  468. #468camptramp2022-03-05 22:45
  469. #469Hallback2022-03-05 23:21

    I want that line truck sooooo bad.

  470. #470donkey doctor2022-03-06 00:23

    Whoever put together that line horse was a true craftsman. d.d.

  471. #471camptramp2022-03-06 21:55

    Ernie Harrison Collection

  472. #472camptramp2022-03-06 21:58

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  473. #473camptramp2022-03-06 22:03

    Les Way Collection

  474. #474camptramp2022-03-06 22:05

    Bob MacMillen Collection

  475. #475camptramp2022-03-07 21:56

    Bob MacMillen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. Don Wilson swapping preload trailers with #6-236 HDX Hayes

  476. #476camptramp2022-03-07 22:00

    Les Way Collection Log trucks and loads parked at Caycuse Camp

  477. #477Truck Shop2022-03-07 22:01

    There must be a lot of 12V71's as cores and ones still running left around there.

  478. #478camptramp2022-03-07 22:03

    Ernie Harrison Collection

  479. #479camptramp2022-03-07 22:05

    Ernie Harrison Collection

  480. #480camptramp2022-03-21 10:17

    Bob MacMillen Collection

  481. #481camptramp2022-03-21 10:20

    Ernie Harrison Collection

  482. #482camptramp2022-03-21 21:36

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  483. #483camptramp2022-03-21 21:37

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  484. #484camptramp2022-03-21 21:38

    Ernie Harrison Collection

  485. #485camptramp2022-03-22 00:45

    Ian Brown Collection

  486. #486camptramp2022-03-22 23:46

    Ernie Harrison Collection

  487. #487camptramp2022-03-22 23:49

    Bob MacMillen Collection

  488. #488camptramp2022-03-23 00:01

    Bob James Collection

  489. #489camptramp2022-03-23 00:07

    Jim Backlund Collection

  490. #490camptramp2022-03-23 00:29

    Jim Backlund Collection

  491. #491camptramp2022-03-23 23:25

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  492. #492camptramp2022-03-23 23:34

    Les Way Collection

  493. #493camptramp2022-03-23 23:35

    Les Way Collection

  494. #494camptramp2022-03-23 23:42

    Les Way Collection

  495. #495Bumpsteer2022-03-23 23:54

    If I knew then, what l know now........ July of 82 my arse would have been headed for Vancouver Island. Ed

  496. #496donkey doctor2022-03-24 00:27

    Paradise !!! Born here 7 weeks short of 79 years ago. d.d.

  497. #497camptramp2022-03-24 23:10

    Bob MacMillen Collection

  498. #498camptramp2022-03-24 23:15

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  499. #499camptramp2022-03-24 23:19

    Jeet Sangara Collection

  500. #500camptramp2022-03-24 23:25

    Les Way Collection

  501. #501camptramp2022-03-25 22:25

    Brayden Tuck Collection A contract has ended Swan Neva's off highway logging trucks are headed for Auction

  502. #502camptramp2022-03-25 22:40

    Jim Backlund Collection

  503. #503camptramp2022-03-25 22:54

    Les Way Collection

  504. #504camptramp2022-03-25 22:56

    Les Way Collection

  505. #505camptramp2022-03-25 22:59

    Gord Isacson Collection Dave Farris Trucking

  506. #506Jumbo2022-03-26 17:55

    That is a photo that makes me wish I was there when it was taken. The whole layout with riggin' set up the way it is in the photo indicates something other than a normal day was going on. It almost looks like a line truck is in front of the truck getting loaded. Cool photo, leaves me wanting to see the "bigger picture."

  507. #507camptramp2022-03-26 22:37

    There was a Worlds Fair held in Japan in 1970 . Canada's Pavilion was built to promote its Forest Industry . I remember seeing a drawing of it , it was surrounded by vertical fir logs standing on end . I'm quite sure these are pictures ( there are more that Bob MacMillen took on page 22 ) of some of the logs used were harvested from B.C. Forest Products Caycuse Div. . The loaders are two Washington TL6's they appear to be using straps to load the logs on to a highway log truck owned by Gerald Patterson of Mill Bay B.C. . I would think the "Line Horse" is standing by in case the highway truck has a traction problems . Les Way would have been the Div. Manager and Bob MacMillen would have been the Assistant Manager at the time these pictures were taken .

  508. #508camptramp2022-03-26 22:56

    Les Way

  509. #509camptramp2022-03-26 23:00

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  510. #510camptramp2022-03-26 23:04

    Jim Backlund Collection

  511. #511Truck Shop2022-03-27 14:35

    W9's

  512. #512camptramp2022-03-27 22:49

    Jim Backlund Collection

  513. #513camptramp2022-03-27 22:59

    Pat MacMillen Collection

  514. #514camptramp2022-03-27 23:03

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  515. #515camptramp2022-03-27 23:08

    Ian Brown Collection

  516. #516camptramp2022-03-28 21:34

    Jim Backlund Collection

  517. #517camptramp2022-03-28 21:40

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  518. #518camptramp2022-03-28 21:40

    Ian Brown Collection

  519. #519camptramp2022-03-28 21:45

    Ian Brown Collection

  520. #520camptramp2022-03-28 21:46

    an Brown Collection

  521. #521Truck Shop2022-03-28 21:47

    Like that 4300.

  522. #522Bumpsteer2022-03-28 21:55

    Those Wagners are amazing machines..... Ed

  523. #523Hallback2022-03-28 22:51
  524. #524camptramp2022-03-29 12:22

    Just something about a Kenworth highway truck that appeals to me . I guess I could some it up as a "Touch of Class" .

  525. #525DB22022-03-29 13:12

    Love the plate !

  526. #526Hallback2022-03-29 18:02

    Surprised I was able to sneak that by the Communist department of licensing

  527. #527camptramp2022-03-29 23:16

    Brayden Tuck Collection This truck was Gordy Neva's pride and joy . It had a V8 Cat and would it ever go !

  528. #528camptramp2022-03-29 23:25

    Jim Backlund Collection

  529. #529camptramp2022-03-29 23:48

    Ian Brown Collection

  530. #530camptramp2022-03-30 22:39

    Jim Backlund Collection

  531. #531camptramp2022-03-30 22:45

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  532. #532camptramp2022-03-30 23:42
  533. #533camptramp2022-03-30 23:51

    Les Way Collection

  534. #534Jumbo2022-03-31 01:00

    It may be my imagination or poor eyesight, but it appears that the fairlead on the nose of the heel boom is offset to the operator's side. I have never noticed that before. Why?

  535. #535camptramp2022-03-31 01:09

    I would think it has something to do with being in lead with the Main Line drum , which is on the right side of machine . Heres another picture of the same Northwest log loader after it was converted to a Grapple Machine .

  536. #536camptramp2022-03-31 22:00

    Jim Backlund Collection

  537. #537camptramp2022-03-31 22:06

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  538. #538camptramp2022-03-31 22:16

    Brent Rowland Collection

  539. #539camptramp2022-04-01 21:54

    Jim Backlund Collection

  540. #540camptramp2022-04-01 21:58

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  541. #541camptramp2022-04-01 22:00

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  542. #542camptramp2022-04-01 22:02

    Brent Rowland Collection

  543. #543camptramp2022-04-02 22:12

    Jim Backlund Collection

  544. #544camptramp2022-04-02 22:16

    Brayden Tuck Colle ction

  545. #545camptramp2022-04-02 22:23

    Mike Cross Collection

  546. #546camptramp2022-04-02 22:26

    Mike Cross Collection

  547. #547Old Doug2022-04-03 10:07

    Thats a strange hub cap on that Chevy.

  548. #548camptramp2022-04-03 22:26

    Jim Backlund Collection

  549. #549camptramp2022-04-03 22:28

    Mike Cross Collection

  550. #550camptramp2022-04-03 22:29

    Mike Cr oss Collection

  551. #551camptramp2022-04-03 22:32

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  552. #552Hank R2022-04-04 13:52

    A friend of mine saw this in Kalispell Montana., I am thinking maybe a firewood hauler??? Or just a toy truck...

  553. #553John C.2022-04-04 14:23

    I got a chuckle out of that.

  554. #554Hank R2022-04-04 14:37

    Must be a retired rich logger

  555. #555mekanik2022-04-04 14:45

    Rich Logger?

  556. #556John C.2022-04-04 17:53

    Did you hear the jock about the logger who won the lottery. When the new media interviewed him the report asked what he was going to do with the money. The logger replied "I guess I'll just keep on logging until it's all gone."

  557. #557Hallback2022-04-04 18:36

    At this rate he should be freed up by deer season!

  558. #558camptramp2022-04-05 00:06

    Jim Backlund Collection

  559. #559camptramp2022-04-05 00:07

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  560. #560camptramp2022-04-05 00:11
  561. #561camptramp2022-04-05 22:07

    Jim Backlund Collection

  562. #562camptramp2022-04-05 22:12

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  563. #563camptramp2022-04-05 22:15

    Mike Cross Collection

  564. #564Truck Shop2022-04-06 20:45

    Only photo of Boise Cascade log yard in Elgin Ore before battery went dead in my cheap camera. Yard was filled with logs. A few loggers unloading. Crummy photo.

  565. #565camptramp2022-04-06 21:53

    Jim Backlund Collection

  566. #566camptramp2022-04-06 21:57

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  567. #567camptramp2022-04-06 21:58

    Mike Cross Collection

  568. #568Old Doug2022-04-07 09:32

    Its something to see how hard they used some of those old trucks like this one . If you ever was around one the front spindles are not as heavy as alot of 1/2 ton pickups today and the rear ends are about like a 3/4 ton today.

  569. #569Truck Shop2022-04-07 21:51

    And day by day there was always something to repair. Look at a well used logger from the 60's. Most all had frames and crossmembers welded up several times along with back cab mounts cracked out. Rear drive housings covered in welds.

  570. #570camptramp2022-04-07 22:43

    The green truck is a mid late 1940's Ford or Mercury and would have been well used and abused as a logging truck . The yellow truck in picture is an early Hayes , late 1930's or 1940's though it would have been built a little tougher , it appears to have led a rough life . I recall a statement I either read or heard some where's "There ain't anything built , a Logger can't break "

  571. #571camptramp2022-04-07 23:22

    Jim Backlund Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. #224 HDX Hayes , driver Kaye Peterson . One of the best Log Truck Drivers I worked with . He was a genuine character always pulling a fast one on the foreman or getting someone "goat" . He would carry a minor air leak until Friday . Friday afternoon he would be in the Shop at 2:30 getting it repaired , by the time we got in to camp from work Kaye would be at his home in Victoria . One time he left a loader in the early afternoon , before he left , he asked the operator if he would have another load that day . The operator didn't think he would need him back . When Kaye got dumped and loaded his trailer , the Truck Dispatcher sent Kaye back for another load . Kaye met the Woods Foreman along the road who agreed that there would not be another load that day and what he was going to do about it . Kaye's response " when Nick picks up my trailer , I'm heading for camp" . Which he did , then went back the next morning for his trailer and a load of logs .

  572. #572camptramp2022-04-07 23:26

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  573. #573camptramp2022-04-07 23:43

    Randy Thompson Collection . Long time BCFP Driver Lloyd Thompson with #224 HDX Hayes

  574. #574Hank R2022-04-08 16:33

    Brian Blank Collection

  575. #575Truck Shop2022-04-08 17:53

    This 1977 just sold-$87,000.

  576. #576Hallback2022-04-08 18:07

    Wow...... That is a beauty!

  577. #577Truck Shop2022-04-08 18:08

    You should have bought it! Sold in two days.

  578. #578Mike L2022-04-08 18:20

    What did that cost in ‘77?

  579. #579Truck Shop2022-04-08 18:26

    $34

  580. #580Hallback2022-04-08 21:02

    Where was it and who had it? I never even saw it for sale.

  581. #581Truck Shop2022-04-08 21:26

    Vintage Truck Market FB. In Pa.

  582. #582Birken Vogt2022-04-08 21:35

    Do they even use that style log truck in PA?

  583. #583Truck Shop2022-04-08 21:37

    Probably not, back there they just set around dreaming/and wishing they had some real trees.

  584. #584camptramp2022-04-08 22:09

    Jim Backlund Collection

  585. #585big ben2022-04-08 22:13

    Look at that - The purchase price and fuel costs for the first year are the same lol.

  586. #586camptramp2022-04-08 22:50

    Brayden Tuck Collection This was an interesting truck . Gordy Neva brought it down from B.C's. interior to the coast . It was leased to Timberwest for awhile . It was very heavy for a highway truck with a two axle trailer . I got assigned to it one morning and sent out to a Heli Logging landing . It didn't have "Scales" in it , so I told the loader operator to give me a "flyer load and I could get an idea what I could haul with it . I was watching what was being loaded on it when I started getting a little worried , so I told Louie to stop . He pointed out that there was still a lot of "Stake" showing . I wrapped up and left the Landing . As soon as I got down the road a ways I knew I was in trouble . When I got to the Highway Scales luck was on my side the two fellas on the Scales were outside looking at a large boat on a trailer . I rolled across the Scales and was some where's around 2000 Kgs over on both ends . At the end of the day I towed the trailer back to the Honeymoon Bay Shop . As I did my end of shift check , I looked at the height of the stakes and thought they looked a little high . Legal height around here is 13 Ft. 6 In. when I got a tape measure out the height of the stakes were 14 Ft. . I got the shop to cut them down to 13 Ft. 2 In.

  587. #587camptramp2022-04-08 22:55

    Randy Thompson Collection

  588. #588Hank R2022-04-09 16:02
  589. #589camptramp2022-04-09 23:51

    Jim Backlund Collection

  590. #590camptramp2022-04-09 23:55

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  591. #591camptramp2022-04-09 23:59

    Don Patrick Collection

  592. #592Truck Shop2022-04-10 06:26
  593. #593John C.2022-04-10 11:49

    That's a funny place for that tow bar to be attached to.

  594. #594Hank R2022-04-10 13:11
  595. #595camptramp2022-04-10 23:17

    Jim Backlund Collection

  596. #596camptramp2022-04-10 23:19

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  597. #597camptramp2022-04-10 23:21

    Randy Thompson Collection

  598. #598camptramp2022-04-11 22:14

    J im Backlund Collection

  599. #599camptramp2022-04-11 22:19

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  600. #600camptramp2022-04-11 22:21

    Ian Brown Collection

  601. #601camptramp2022-04-11 22:57

    Dave Whiskin Collection

  602. #602kshansen2022-04-12 10:04

    Camptramp, just was playing around with a image program to see if those images could be adjusted for better color. Here's one that did not look too bad:

  603. #603camptramp2022-04-12 21:54

    I have some pictures that were developed around 1977 that took on a reddish ting over the years , When I scanned them with my old Scanner , the red remained . When I rescanned the same pictures with our new scanner a lot of the reddish ting cleared up .

  604. #604camptramp2022-04-12 21:59

    Jim Backlund Collection

  605. #605camptramp2022-04-12 22:02

    Jim Backlund Collection

  606. #606camptramp2022-04-12 22:05

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  607. #607camptramp2022-04-12 22:06

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  608. #608camptramp2022-04-12 22:09

    Ian Brown Collection

  609. #609camptramp2022-04-13 22:20

    Jim Backlund Collection

  610. #610camptramp2022-04-13 22:27

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  611. #611camptramp2022-04-13 22:30

    Ian Brown Collection

  612. #612camptramp2022-04-14 23:51

    Jim Backlund Collection

  613. #613camptramp2022-04-14 23:56

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  614. #614camptramp2022-04-14 23:58

    Ian Brown Collection

  615. #615Bumpsteer2022-04-15 01:10

    Camptramp, I want to thank you for taking the time to share all these pictures with us. Another thank you to the guys that took them. Its appreciated more than you can imagine. Thanks again! Ed

  616. #616camptramp2022-04-15 12:10

    Thanks Ed I enjoy going through these pictures , reminiscing of times gone by . Sometimes when there was a foot of wet snow and your hands and feet were numb from cold or the sun was hot and the bugs thick . They were tough days , but on those sunny Spring and Fall days , weren't they great . After a day trudging up and down a side hill setting chokers or pulling strawline , we sure didn't need to go to a gym and pay to "work out" . Life was simpler then and our needs were less . Now our world is getting over crowed , top heavy and out of lead . Now sharing pictures and reminiscing of days gone by is great therapy for an "old hasbeen " passing away the time . Ct

  617. #617JPV2022-04-15 14:12

    It is a window into a world most of us have never seen and never will, it makes me think I should take more pictures because someday someone might enjoy seeing what we are up too as well. Is that Black Prince by the Pacific? Haven't seen him or HDX on here in a while.

  618. #618Hallback2022-04-15 19:50

    I love em Camp!! Thanks buddy!!

  619. #619bccat2022-04-15 20:48

    Thank you CT for the memories, Growing up and working in the 60,s & 70,s logging was the best time of my working life as I look back from my easy chair retired. How’s the Chevelle?

  620. #620camptramp2022-04-15 23:12

    That is the Black Prince standing by the P16 . I haven't been in touch with him for awhile , something I'll have to do . HDX is well , might be following another site , Hayesno1 has been quite , but he's OK . The one we haven't heard from for a long while is Vigilant , I hope he is OK . The Chevelle's are in the garage one has "collector plates" and just needs dusting off and a nice day to go for a drive . The one with the "Stroker" is waiting for better weather and "plates" before I dust it off to go for little blast down to the gas station for some get up and go juice .

  621. #621camptramp2022-04-15 23:36

    Jim Backlund Collection

  622. #622camptramp2022-04-15 23:39

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  623. #623camptramp2022-04-15 23:43

    Ian Brown Collection

  624. #624Hank R2022-04-16 16:16

    Above Hedley east of Princeton

  625. #625Hank R2022-04-16 16:17

    Winter whiteout

  626. #626camptramp2022-04-16 23:40

    Jim Backlund Collection

  627. #627camptramp2022-04-16 23:45

    Brayden Tu ck Collection

  628. #628camptramp2022-04-17 00:04

    Ian Brown Collection Check the first picture , It shows the "plumbing " for applying water to truck and trailer brakes when using brakes on hills . The front tap controls the water flow to the "drivers " on truck . The back valve controls water flow to trailer brakes . The water flows up the center pipe through a dump valve , then travels through the truck and trailer taps to brakes . When water is not being used , dump valve is cross ways . That dump valve appears to be open suggesting the water tank is drained and water is drained from valves , possibly to prevent water from freezing during cold weather in winter rupturing pipes . The air line to top of plumbing with a button on end is to "blow" and clear water out of water lines to brakes , usually at log dump before coming to a full stop .

  629. #629Hank R2022-04-17 12:22

    Louie Cappos, Coalmont He was a bit hard on paint back in the day...

  630. #630Truck Shop2022-04-17 18:40

    My friend Steve sold the last of the LP sawmill, The de-barker. Going to Forks Wa. This one is a model 2 two speed with a 44" lift ring built by Nicholson. Any way got some photos of hour glass kicker, the lift ring, crusher and operators room. The head rig was sold off a ling time ago. There were actually two head rig/mills on site. In it's day it could process 100 truck loads or 1/2 million board feet a day roughly. Was originally owned by the Welch family back in the 50's then sold to GP then split to LP.

  631. #631Truck Shop2022-04-17 18:41
  632. #632Truck Shop2022-04-17 18:42
  633. #633Hallback2022-04-17 19:37

    Who in Forks got it? Interfor?

  634. #634Truck Shop2022-04-17 20:41

    I think that's what Steve said, Who ever it is has been after it for 2 years. Steve said they figure there is 10 years worth of 2nd growth. When this mill was running here it was LP's highest producing mill. That de-barker with lift ring was installed here in 1978. Steve told me because it was two speed-in high the operator had his hands full, it would kick a 44" log through pretty fast.

  635. #635Hallback2022-04-17 22:36

    There is a good volume of second growth up there for sure.

  636. #636camptramp2022-04-17 22:49

    Jim Backlund Collection

  637. #637camptramp2022-04-17 22:53

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  638. #638camptramp2022-04-17 22:55

    Ian Brown Collection

  639. #639Hank R2022-04-18 10:50

    Louie Cappos Mack , and his only new truck he had

  640. #640hd542022-04-18 15:52

    louie had an LW witch was his last one

  641. #641Hank R2022-04-18 18:38

    You could be right, his daughter is where I got my information from.

  642. #642camptramp2022-04-18 22:01

    Bill Elliot Collection

  643. #643camptramp2022-04-18 22:05

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  644. #644camptramp2022-04-18 22:10

    Ian Brown Collection

  645. #645Hank R2022-04-19 10:37

    In Spring 1951, R. Ceccon, traded his car in for a 1944 3 ton Ford and hauled power poles which were pealed in the bush into Princeton on a homemade trailer.

  646. #646camptramp2022-04-19 16:35

    Bill Elliot Collection

  647. #647camptramp2022-04-19 16:41

    Brayden Tuck Collection Some day's don't go so good ! Nitinat M/L

  648. #648camptramp2022-04-19 16:42

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  649. #649camptramp2022-04-19 16:58

    Ian Brown Collection More pictures of having a bad day on Nitinat M/L

  650. #650camptramp2022-04-19 17:00

    Ian Brown Collection

  651. #651camptramp2022-04-19 17:03

    Ian Brown Collection

  652. #652camptramp2022-04-19 17:04

    Ian Brown Collection

  653. #653John C.2022-04-19 17:59

    I can feel the pain right through those photos.

  654. #654Hank R2022-04-20 07:46

    Dave Brown collection

  655. #655Old Doug2022-04-20 10:20

    Its hard to believe that those logs broke in half.

  656. #656kshansen2022-04-20 11:07

    Must be some story to that one.

  657. #657525isx2022-04-20 16:40

    I don't think they broke, probably short logs that came forward in the crash

  658. #658camptramp2022-04-20 16:43

    If your referring to the Kenworth truck wreck . Those logs over the cab are not broken , they are the logs that were above the cab / water tank height . The truck stopped when it hit the bank with such force , the logs from the top of load slid over and down on cab . If you look amongst the wreckage , there are the remains of an empty "Preload Trailer" which tells me there were two log trucks involved . And one has been removed from the scene .

  659. #659Old Doug2022-04-20 18:20

    Your wight after i looked at it agin i see what is going on. Is there 2 trucks ? I cant see how anyone would have lived in that one truck.

  660. #660camptramp2022-04-20 18:52

    When I looked hard at the wreckage on the ground , in Ian's pictures . I'm reasonably sure that is the remains of a second truck . When I looked at the wreckage on the off highway lowbed trailer in Swan Neva's picture's , it is the remains of a destroyed logging truck . Look hard at the driver tire's on the loaded Kenworth , then look at the tires on the drivers of the wreckage on the lowbed trailer , they have a lot more tread . I'm not sure if there was a fatality or serious injury , but I wouldn't think everybody would have walked away from that one scratch free !

  661. #661Hank R2022-04-21 07:48
  662. #662Old Doug2022-04-21 08:41

    Thats a funny gas cap.I rolled a Chevy pickup that had the tank behind the seat it was laying on its drivers side and that cap never leaked a drop. I was wright there were i could touch it.

  663. #663camptramp2022-04-21 13:51

    Bill Elliot Collection

  664. #664camptramp2022-04-21 13:55

    Brayden Tuck Collection View attachment 257867

  665. #665camptramp2022-04-21 13:59

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  666. #666camptramp2022-04-21 14:01

    Ian Brown Collection

  667. #667Hank R2022-04-22 07:57

    They were hauling bridge stringer they cam down one road the back up another. The Mercury drove forward in to town the the Mack drove forward up to where the bridge was going to be built.

  668. #668camptramp2022-04-22 21:48

    Bill Elliot Collection Pacific Logging Sooke Div.

  669. #669camptramp2022-04-22 21:52

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  670. #670camptramp2022-04-22 21:57

    Ian Brown Collection

  671. #671John C.2022-04-23 00:34

    The fire is a shame. Looks like a different power plant in the bottom photo. Is it the same truck?

  672. #672camptramp2022-04-23 01:03

    I believe it is the same truck , and it is a different engine .

  673. #673Hank R2022-04-23 10:54

    First picture is less than a block from my house.

  674. #674Hank R2022-04-23 10:58
  675. #675John C.2022-04-23 11:11

    Baby log stackers. Is the forklift in the middle photo loading or unloading that log?

  676. #676Hank R2022-04-23 18:29

    Loading the log, here in Princeton and was going to Penticton Sawmills

  677. #677camptramp2022-04-23 23:05

    Bill Elliot Collection

  678. #678camptramp2022-04-23 23:07

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  679. #679camptramp2022-04-23 23:12

    Ian Brown Collection Kyuquot Div.

  680. #680camptramp2022-04-24 22:57

    Bill Elliot Collection

  681. #681camptramp2022-04-24 23:02

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  682. #682camptramp2022-04-24 23:06
  683. #683camptramp2022-04-25 22:20

    Bill Elliot Colle ction

  684. #684camptramp2022-04-25 22:24

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  685. #685camptramp2022-04-25 22:28

    Ian Brown Collection

  686. #686John C.2022-04-25 22:29

    What are those chunks on the top of the load in the first photo and the previous post? Shakes or fire wood?

  687. #687Hallback2022-04-25 23:27

    Look like 8 or 10' chunks.

  688. #688camptramp2022-04-26 00:37

    Brayden Tuck Collection When things changed at CZ Nitinat and Swan Neva's logging trucks were no longer needed . Swan Neva and his son Gordy sold off their Off Highway Logging trucks and moved to Highway Trucks to fill a need . In the late 1970's well into the 1980's the "Shake Wood Salvager's" were combing the "Old Slash and New Growth " for Cedar that could cut into "Block's" and be flown out with Helicopters to the roadside . Neva Contracting was more than happy to haul the blocks from the woods to the mills . There were also a couple of Shake Mills that were located off the Industrial Haul Roads . And just about anything one could put on a truck and trailer , Gordy Neva could get to a mill . I would say those were short Cedar logs in the picture .

  689. #689Hallback2022-04-26 08:21

    Yes, I remember the shake wood debacle well. Our f*@#÷ng government leaders decided to drop tarrifs on Canadian cedar so we were flooded with finished shakes & shingles cheaper than we could even buy the stumpage for down here. Result- My families three mills & dozens maybe even hundreds of others going under the scrappers torch.

  690. #690Truck Shop2022-04-26 08:41

    When I took those photos of the mill being dismantled Steve spent a good hour talking about all the mills that were gone in the industry including shake mills.

  691. #691Hallback2022-04-26 09:17

    Yeah, my family had two in Tacoma, one in Winlock, one in Toledo and two in Longview. The last one's went way in 1985 or 86 when the tariffs were lifted. If you drive up around the Olympic peninsula you could see the remnants of many Mills but most of them have seen the scrappers torch and you just see empty mill sites with old Cedar trash from years of milling.

  692. #692Hallback2022-04-26 09:20

    I was talking with one of our bosses that works out of the Port Angeles office last week and I brought that up about Steve's big head rig and I guess they are putting a new mill in up at forks well, actually beaver I guess at the old Interfor site supposedly. They're planning on running that large 2nd growth log and figure they have quite a bit of volume for it.

  693. #693Truck Shop2022-04-26 11:05

    Managed right it's a much needed industry people just can't do without. Unless they want to live in a card board box and even that comes from trees. Timber harvesting and processing through time is a very interesting business.

  694. #694John C.2022-04-26 11:19

    I asked my daughter who is an architect about materials not long ago. Her feeling was that wood would be the material of the future for residential construction. It's cheap compared to some kind of manufactured product, strong and flexible and can handle being cut into lots of different shapes. Things can be attached to it easily as well. In her words, nothing else provides the same combination of attributes for anything close to the same costs. The only problems with wood are in the supply chains. The supply is never in sync with the demand so the markets are never stable.

  695. #695Jumbo2022-04-26 11:40

    When snowed out in the '70s, I cut bolts to make ends meet. You could get a cord on a F250 (straight axle 4x4) with sideboard up past the cab. Even then, much was rejected as not shake material. Usually, not straight enough or too wide a grain. Then California banned all wood roofs because of fire. The insurance companies drove that as they do with all building codes. There went the market. Now, I don't think you could even get homeowners insurance anywhere with a wood roof due to fire.

  696. #696Bluox2022-04-26 11:43

    Under that tin roof is a saw mill for big logs. The log sits on the ground and the saws travel back and forth. Bob

  697. #697camptramp2022-04-26 22:29

    Bill Elliot Collection

  698. #698camptramp2022-04-26 22:37

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  699. #699camptramp2022-04-26 22:41

    Ian Brown Collection

  700. #700camptramp2022-04-27 22:26

    Bill Elliot Collection

  701. #701camptramp2022-04-27 22:32

    Brayden Tuck Collection Somebody was having a bad day .

  702. #702camptramp2022-04-27 22:57

    Ian Brown Collection

  703. #703camptramp2022-04-28 22:28

    Bill Elliot Collection

  704. #704camptramp2022-04-28 22:32

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  705. #705camptramp2022-04-28 22:37

    Ian Brown Collection

  706. #706Hank R2022-04-29 11:10
  707. #707camptramp2022-04-29 12:00

    The 1st picture is of Bill Neil's 849 Kenworth which he purchased for his hauling contract at Sooke B.C., I wonder if he still owned it when this photo was taken .

  708. #708Hank R2022-04-29 18:19

    That I do not know the driver that took the picture is Dave McIntosh he lives here now.

  709. #709camptramp2022-04-29 23:10

    Bill Elliot Collection

  710. #710camptramp2022-04-29 23:18

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  711. #711camptramp2022-04-29 23:22

    Ian Brown Collection

  712. #712Hank R2022-04-30 07:55
  713. #713camptramp2022-04-30 22:37

    Bill Elliot Collection

  714. #714camptramp2022-04-30 22:44

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  715. #715camptramp2022-04-30 22:48

    Ian Brown Collection

  716. #716camptramp2022-05-01 23:13

    Bill Elliot Collection

  717. #717camptramp2022-05-01 23:17

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  718. #718camptramp2022-05-01 23:21

    Ian Brown Collection

  719. #719Hank R2022-05-02 07:40
  720. #720Hallback2022-05-02 09:04

    Cool photos, thank you

  721. #721camptramp2022-05-02 22:01

    Bill Elliot Collection This P16 was originally BCFP Caycuse Div #6-261 Timberwest #40-131

  722. #722camptramp2022-05-02 22:06

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  723. #723camptramp2022-05-02 22:08

    Ian Brown Collection

  724. #724Hank R2022-05-03 10:39
  725. #725Hallback2022-05-03 12:15

    Towers, loaders & logs! Perfect!!

  726. #726camptramp2022-05-03 19:51

    Bill Elliot Collection

  727. #727camptramp2022-05-03 19:54

    Ian Brown Collection

  728. #728camptramp2022-05-03 19:59

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  729. #729Hank R2022-05-04 07:48
  730. #730camptramp2022-05-04 22:06

    Bill Elliot Collection

  731. #731camptramp2022-05-04 22:12

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  732. #732camptramp2022-05-04 22:21

    Bruce Wilson Colle ction

  733. #733Hank R2022-05-05 07:49

    Glenn Falladown, collection First picture is in Sask haulling firewood with his dads truck. others are above Hedley east of Princeton.

  734. #734camptramp2022-05-06 00:01

    Bill Elliot Collection

  735. #735camptramp2022-05-06 00:07

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  736. #736camptramp2022-05-06 00:15

    Gord Isacson Collection

  737. #737Hank R2022-05-06 10:01

    Glenn bought a larger Ford with air brakes the 1 week before he made his first payment he was hard on the paint.

  738. #738Hallback2022-05-06 12:35

    Glad to see nothing has changed with the majority of loggers

  739. #739John C.2022-05-06 20:56

    Needed some grease anyway.

  740. #740camptramp2022-05-06 22:18

    Bill Elliot Collection I'm sad to say our "Old Crew" is thinning out . Got word from our friend Dave Whiskin a couple of weeks ago that John Bell has passed away . A Prince to work and share the road with . RIP John

  741. #741camptramp2022-05-06 22:22

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  742. #742camptramp2022-05-06 22:32

    Mike Green Collection Appears the Off Highway Lowbed with the #797 a telescoping 120 ft. Skagit IJ-80 interlock winch on a Tank Carrier has found a soft spot on some "Green Grade"

  743. #743Hank R2022-05-07 07:38
  744. #744Blk prince2022-05-07 12:47

    Hello. Yep. That be me. I haven’t been on for awhile. My fb account was hacked so stayed away for fear of spreading the virus. Thanks for asking. Bp

  745. #745Blk prince2022-05-07 12:56

    Not same truck. Top 3 are a P-16 from CZ Nitinat. 40-83. Driver was Don Wright from Duncan. Trans hose had a leak. Sprayed mist onto exhaust and away she went. Bottom pic is a Highway Pacific I took picture of in Pacific plant North Vancouver

  746. #746Hallback2022-05-07 17:31

    Glad to see you are still kickin Black Prince

  747. #747Bumpsteer2022-05-07 21:34

    Thanks for stopping in bp. Now, where is HDX? Ed

  748. #748camptramp2022-05-07 22:43

    Bill Elliot Collection

  749. #749camptramp2022-05-07 22:54

    Brayden Tuck Collection

  750. #750camptramp2022-05-07 23:06

    Tom Worth Collection 1st picture Dennis Lamont on left John Bell on right . 3rd picture Tom Worth standing by Lowbed .

  751. #751Hank R2022-05-08 09:51

    Darrel Lowes, Friell Lake collection

  752. #752Hallback2022-05-08 11:48

    Ouch, those poor bunks & rails!!

  753. #753Hank R2022-05-08 12:51

    They were off highway loads on highway trucks. hard on trucks for sure.

  754. #754Jumbo2022-05-08 15:26

    In the mid '70s, Weyerhaeuser Snoqualmie was down to two off highway trucks. We regularly ran 110,000+ on the highway trucks when hauling off highway. A little tippy with 8' bunks, but doable. If I remember correctly, the stake extensions stuck up an additional 4'. But, with biscuits for suspension, you could haul whatever you could load on the truck.... Load 'er up and load it until something breaks, then lighten 'er up 10 pounds for the next load.

  755. #755camptramp2022-05-08 23:21

    If your packing those kind of loads on a highway logging truck . It won't be long before you will find cracks showing up around the Bolsters , Cup & Saucers and Bunks . And trailer suspension .

  756. #756camptramp2022-05-08 23:37

    Bill Elliot Collection

  757. #757camptramp2022-05-08 23:41

    Jimmy Burns Collection

  758. #758camptramp2022-05-08 23:46

    Tom Worth Collection

  759. #759Hank R2022-05-09 10:26
  760. #760camptramp2022-05-09 22:15

    "Boulder" Bill Elliot Collection

  761. #761camptramp2022-05-09 22:18

    Jim my Burns Collection

  762. #762camptramp2022-05-09 22:22

    Tom Worth Collection

  763. #763Hank R2022-05-10 07:21
  764. #764camptramp2022-05-10 21:57

    Boulder Bill Elliot I was driving the #40-96 at this time . There is very little paint on the front bumper . I spent a lot of time pushing the "Lowbed". See how high the stakes are when the empty trailer is loaded on truck , This time of year when the Maple trees with the new growth weighting down the branches over the haul roads . The stakes do a great job of daylighting the "Right of Way " .

  765. #765camptramp2022-05-10 22:07

    Jimmy Burns Collection

  766. #766camptramp2022-05-10 22:09

    Tom Worth Collection

  767. #767Hank R2022-05-11 07:54
  768. #768Hank R2022-05-11 16:57

    My friend Jim sent to me of his uncle Ted in the early 50's.

  769. #769camptramp2022-05-11 20:02

    Boulder Bill Elliot Collection

  770. #770camptramp2022-05-11 20:04

    Jimmy Burns Collection

  771. #771camptramp2022-05-11 20:11

    Tom Worth Collection

  772. #772John C.2022-05-11 21:10

    I've never seen so many photos of logging before. Looks like you folks up north could afford film a lot better that those of us south of the border. Keep them coming.

  773. #773Alusium2022-05-11 23:35

    I found HEF by googling a question about a motor grader I recently got. These are great photos. Thanks for posting. I look forward to this everyday.

  774. #774Hank R2022-05-12 07:36
  775. #775camptramp2022-05-12 22:53

    "Boulder" Bill Elliot Collection

  776. #776camptramp2022-05-12 22:57

    Jimmy Burns Collection

  777. #777camptramp2022-05-12 23:01

    Tom Worth Collection

  778. #778camptramp2022-05-12 23:03

    Tom Worth Collection

  779. #779Hank R2022-05-13 07:22
  780. #780camptramp2022-05-13 22:00

    Boulder Bill Elliot Collection

  781. #781camptramp2022-05-13 22:03

    Jimmy Burns Collection

  782. #782camptramp2022-05-13 22:06

    Tom Worth Collection

  783. #783skadill2022-05-13 23:35

    i have thousands of truck pics, some borrowed, some given, some i took, many I put on here on other threads the last ten years, but not hard to toss some more in here as well if enjoyed.The bottom Pacific was formerly a Millstream Timber truck

  784. #784JPV2022-05-14 00:02

    This was my ride today, we converted it from a strictly a long logger to a quick change and put this 3 axle trailer with it instead of the original 2 axle trailer that was behind it last year. I pulled the fifth wheel off it and put the bunk gear on and tried it out. Worked great!

  785. #785JPV2022-05-14 00:09

    This is the same truck when he bought January 2021.

  786. #786JPV2022-05-14 00:49

    Skadill, that second picture of the self loader looks fake, is that really the bunks?

  787. #787skadill2022-05-14 01:28

    100% real, i have a bunch photos of these rigs. This is how they haul in Northern Alberta As many have now seen, Logging in the West Coast of B.C. Canada has had the largest timber, biggest equipment, toughest ground, and most specialized equipment seen nowhere else.

  788. #788Hank R2022-05-14 10:43

    Out west of Prince George Carrier Lumber hauled tree length by the time they got to the mill yard the ends looked like a pencil from dragging on the ground.

  789. #789Hank R2022-05-14 11:04
  790. #790skadill2022-05-14 11:42

    The loggers motto-"When it's too hard for everyone else, it's just right for us"

  791. #791Hank R2022-05-14 14:49
  792. #792Jumbo2022-05-14 15:49

    Weyerhaeuser Snoqualmie tried tree length in the mid '70s. The dust cloud behind them was atrocious. You could not follow any closer than half a mile in the summer for the dust cloud. They quit after about 10 months. The sort yard just could not handle logs 100+ feet. What is astounding to me is the fact that those loads are on a self loader. To build a load like that without seeing what you are doing when it gets that high is a real skill. And then to toss wrappers over the load without help from a shovel takes arms like a gorilla.

  793. #793Hank R2022-05-14 15:52

    You answer that man YES SIR.........

  794. #794camptramp2022-05-14 22:08

    I would think the driver would have two options . #1 hang grapples down along side the load , get down and string wrappers out along road and hang chains in grapple . Get back up on loader and drag wrappers over load , then get back on ground and "walk" wrappers along load to where they can be tightened up . #2 Use a length of "sash cord" with a heavy nut in one end to throw over load . Then tie to wrapper and drag over load .

  795. #795camptramp2022-05-14 22:14

    Boulder Bill Elliot Collection

  796. #796camptramp2022-05-14 22:21

    A nice load of "Berries" on a highway logging truck in Northern California .

  797. #797camptramp2022-05-14 22:27

    Tom Worth Collection

  798. #798Jumbo2022-05-14 22:37

    I would agree. Still though, it takes a lot of work to wrap a load like that. As a second loader, and a steering wheel holder, I had to toss wrappers over off highway loads and tricks like you mention either were not thought of in those days or just ignored as not being "manly." In my age, not being "manly" is something I'm not ashamed of. Any help I can/could get, I will take. Sometimes, not all the time, age does equal wisdom.

  799. #799camptramp2022-05-14 23:36

    I totally agree with you . With 15-16 ft. bunks and 8 ft. stakes peaked up , it would take a good man to get a wrapper over the load , I used the loader to do the work . 14 ft. bunks and 6 ft. stakes peaked up I could do it . If you can get the chain over the peak , you could flip it and get it to fall down opposite side . A flat load like those Northern Alberta loads , It would be quite a feat .

  800. #800Hank R2022-05-15 08:22

    If I remember right early 60's near Clearwater B.C. A old mover truck, with a Hall Scott gas pot.

  801. #801Old Doug2022-05-15 10:50

    That looks like one of those m 26 with a rebuilt cab.

  802. #802Old Doug2022-05-15 10:56

    Believe it or not but i could throw a 5/16 chain over top of a load of cars stacked 2 high. I dont know why i never thought about using a rope to pull it over.

  803. #803Hank R2022-05-15 13:12

    1961 Pacific that was built as a 4 x4 arch truck for skidding logs and sold to a logging company in Clearwater, I heard that this truck hauled logs but I have not seen any pictures of that by looking at the back end I believe it did. This truck is still around until 2013 it was used as a water truck for the local stock car race track.

  804. #804mekanik2022-05-15 15:21

    My dad had a similar pacific a 65 I believe. It started life as an arch truck skidding logs. It was fitted with 16' bunks. It did not do well in the steep coastal mountains as it had no Jake and no water tank.

  805. #805Hank R2022-05-15 16:56

    Arch trucks were used in some parts of BC in the 60's Norm Simmons used 2 arch truck north of Prince George. His first one was a EX Mack iron ore mine truck and he built the Arch on it with a winch off a D-8, In winter near a lake when Ice was thick they used Arch trucks like skidders they would log above a lake and pull logs onto the ice near the lake they started grabbing gears to get a longs ways out then in the spring the logs would be floated down to the mill.

  806. #806Hank R2022-05-15 17:05

    Norm also bought a new KW 6 x6 and built a arch for it in latter years he took the arch off and wooded it up with shorts. Norm was 6ft 6 in and I asked him how he got into the truck always park near a stump

  807. #807Hank R2022-05-15 17:09

    His KW was kind of a Muti-purpose truck as he would move his Cat D 8 with it also.

  808. #808JPV2022-05-15 17:14

    Harvey Larson hauling right of way logs on Brookfield mainline for Penttila Log with his new 56 Mack Lloyd Wirkkala collection

  809. #809Truck Shop2022-05-15 20:44

    Either a B73 or 75, but most likely a 73 because the Luberfiner between tank and fender. 220 Cummins.

  810. #810skadill2022-05-15 21:29
  811. #811Hank R2022-05-16 07:49
  812. #812Hank R2022-05-16 07:53
  813. #813Old Doug2022-05-16 09:22

    Skidding logs with a truck would have been very hard on a truck.

  814. #814Jumbo2022-05-16 16:30

    Somewhere within these threads is a LeTourneau skidder mounted on an ex WW II KW. I think it was used in Idaho. But, since I cannot find it, I cannot say for sure.

  815. #815John C.2022-05-16 17:56

    I don't what what this is mounted on but I found one web site showing a Letourneau Skidder. https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2009/11/20/like-a-one-man-cage-match-the-letourneau-skidder

  816. #816John C.2022-05-16 18:03

    Skadill has a YouTube video of a conversion unit that he found in the woods.

  817. #817John C.2022-05-16 18:08

    Skadill have another video showing a different type which is more a forwarder than a skidder. This one looks like the unit in the Hemmings article above.

  818. #818John C.2022-05-16 18:10

    I couldn't find anything about a Letourneau using a KW frame or using a KW cab.

  819. #819Hank R2022-05-16 18:38

    I have only seen 1 Letourneau skidder, and not close up. From what I remember it was a big ugly thing twice the size of anything else i ever seen it was down by the Port Mann bridge NW of bridge in a yard one could see from the highway .

  820. #820Truck Shop2022-05-16 18:42

    If it was a KW built during WWII, it would have been a rare one. KW's built during the Big WW were built in Yakima from mid 42 to early 46. The Seattle facilities were used for building equipment for the war. The KW plant in Yakima was located on N. Front St. Years ago I had a neighbor who at the time lived in Selah and worked at that plant in Yakima. He latter moved to Ellensburg. He showed me a box of old black and white photos taken at the plant. KW mainly hired locals instead of moving workers from Seattle. The ones who did move were engineers and floor bosses. This is the only KW I have ever seen built in Yakima. There were less than a 1,000 produced because all materials went to war effort. A 1944 below-note the wrought iron grille and Badge-known as the Bug at KW.

  821. #821Jumbo2022-05-16 18:51

    I have seen the "Tournapulls" (sp?) I believe what I saw was a predecessor.

  822. #822Truck Shop2022-05-16 19:10

    Any large/standard KW trucks/tractors were Shovel Nose till 1938. Except for a few odd ball off road.

  823. #823Hank R2022-05-16 19:13

    LeTourneau Electric log arch (skidder) this is all I could find.

  824. #824Truck Shop2022-05-16 19:26

    That's a good find!

  825. #825skadill2022-05-16 22:08

    .

  826. #826skadill2022-05-16 22:10
  827. #827John C.2022-05-16 22:49

    Skadill, wonderful to see you putting some of your collection on this thread.

  828. #828camptramp2022-05-17 00:10

    Jeet Sangara Collection

  829. #829camptramp2022-05-17 00:14

    Chuck Carosella Collection Same Truck

  830. #830skadill2022-05-17 00:34

    The P9's recent current state of being well took care of in a heated shop. I took these a few years back, it had a new owner after Chuck here.

  831. #831Birken Vogt2022-05-17 00:51

    I saw a strange one today. Fiberglass highway truck with a sleeper and the great big air deflector with a set of bunks on the truck and the usual dolly. Reach pinned so the dolly was flat towing. Headed up into the woods empty. All I can figure is that somebody is desperate. Or his regular truck broke down. I wish I could have grabbed a picture. I wish I knew the story.

  832. #832Truck Shop2022-05-17 02:28

    One interior photo of the 1944 KW I forgot to post. With the set back steer axle imagine just how much fun it was to drive with the column at this angle. I bet backing up was miserable.

  833. #833Truck Shop2022-05-17 02:40

    Damn good thing I started this thread-ain't it.

  834. #834Hank R2022-05-17 07:45

    Norm decided that it was time to get 2 new tandem trucks as the old Ford was getting old and tired. He went to Ford, GMC and IH the IH dealer in Prince George gave him the best deal by a long ways so he bought to new trucks there. After 2 weeks he knew why the sales man took off with his wife. Norm said that was the best think that ever happened. he got 2 new trucks that made him money and got rid of her for free.

  835. #835skadill2022-05-17 22:29
  836. #836skadill2022-05-17 22:30
  837. #837camptramp2022-05-17 23:07

    Northern California

  838. #838camptramp2022-05-18 22:33

    Chuck Carosella's Pacific P510S Fairly new coming off Gordon River 4000 on to Gordon River M/L

  839. #839skadill2022-05-18 22:53
  840. #840skadill2022-05-18 22:54
  841. #841Hank R2022-05-19 11:07

    KB 11 IH father in laws truck he is sitting on bumper drivers side.

  842. #842Truck Shop2022-05-19 12:29

    When I get home I will look this Jimmy up, GMC didn't produce many with that long of a hood. I'm not sure but I think that is a fairly rare Jimmy.

  843. #843Hank R2022-05-19 14:36

    I thought the long hood trucks in the 50's were known as West coaster trucks. seen a few IH with long hoods.

  844. #844Truck Shop2022-05-19 20:08

    The IH's were model 402's and 405's. The Jimmys like the one above were built from 50 to 54. 85% were the standard hood. Can't find my GMC/Chevy book. The ones below are standard.

  845. #845Truck Shop2022-05-19 20:10

    Where is that Jimmy Skadill?

  846. #846Truck Shop2022-05-19 22:08

    Found my book-it's only a 620-36 model-something bugged me about it-six stud wheels.

  847. #847skadill2022-05-19 22:16

    In B.C here,I keep them quiet and safe though for the owners

  848. #848skadill2022-05-19 22:18
  849. #849skadill2022-05-19 22:21
  850. #850camptramp2022-05-20 00:28

    Tom Worth Collection

  851. #851Hank R2022-05-20 17:15

    J. S. Cook Contracting.

  852. #852camptramp2022-05-20 22:02

    Tom Worth Collection

  853. #853skadill2022-05-20 23:01
  854. #854skadill2022-05-20 23:04

    These oldies were ones I spent time on back in the day, The loader truck just lived at our mill for yard use

  855. #855Hank R2022-05-21 07:52
  856. #856camptramp2022-05-22 00:01

    Bill Elliot Collection .I recognize this landscape . The setting is on top of "Garbage Cr." The # 663 Skagit tower is a 120 ft. telescoping slackline tower with a Tyee slackline winch mounted on a lowbed style trailer that was moved with a logging truck Sid Smith was the operator . The log loader is a Model 6 Northwest #79 a former grade shovel converted to a log loader . Ernie Harrison was the operator . I was the "Landing Man on this side , when Ernie finished the load and the truck left , quite often Ernie would straighten up the landing and get off the loader and go for a walk . While he was gone , I would unhook the Chokers , then climb up on the loader and sort the logs in the piles and get on the ground to be ready to unhook the chokers from the next "turn of logs" .

  857. #857skadill2022-05-22 01:00
  858. #858skadill2022-05-22 01:03
  859. #859Hank R2022-05-22 07:35

    The Bionic Boot decided to lay over.

  860. #860Truck Shop2022-05-22 20:13

    Peterbilts.

  861. #861skadill2022-05-22 22:32
  862. #862skadill2022-05-22 22:35
  863. #863camptramp2022-05-22 23:15

    I've never driven one of those Euclids or Terex's , but they were known to have terrible brakes on the trucks . Pacific Logging at Sooke had a Terex . A fellow by the name of Steve Snider drove it , it had a V12 Detroit with a built in retarted , the trailer braked were essential for braking on hills . One morning Steve got loaded up a steep branch road off the M/L . When he realized he had a problem with the trailer brakes . He got the truck stopped and arranged for a "Cat" to snub him down off the hill . After checking the trailer over , it was found to have grease on the brake lining . The truck had been serviced the night before by a new guy in the service shop and the trailer brakes had been liberally over greased . Larry Jay asked Steve On the 2 way radio what was going to happen when he got to the beach . Steve's reply " That grease monkey better be wearing running shoes "

  864. #864camptramp2022-05-22 23:29

    I wish I had taken some pictures of Horseman's yard , when he worked out of Duncan . He bought Kenworth's all the same Cab model and style . After about five years some of the first trucks that started out looking pretty good were being parted out behind the shop . Man those guy's were hard on trucks . One truck was parked along the security fence with the wheels and tires off one back axle with a big boulder holding it off the ground !

  865. #865camptramp2022-05-22 23:42

    Tom Worth Collection

  866. #866Hank R2022-05-23 11:18
  867. #867skadill2022-05-23 22:54
  868. #868skadill2022-05-23 22:55
  869. #869camptramp2022-05-23 23:32

    Tom Worth Collection

  870. #870Hank R2022-05-24 07:17
  871. #871dust eater2022-05-24 08:28

    thanks for posting all these great pictures ,I'm really enjoying this thread

  872. #872JPV2022-05-24 10:04

    Here is a nice 79 A model that anyone who has spent any time around Grays Harbor will recognize. He also built that Kenworth pickup, he just finished it after 6 years, it is immaculate.

  873. #873Old Doug2022-05-24 10:19

    If you ever drove one in a quarry and you saw one hauling logs it would realy make you wonder what were they thinking. From every thing i drove i wonder if they had good brakes when they were new.

  874. #874Hallback2022-05-24 14:09

    Ol'pump! I know the family well. Used to work with his son Eddie, grandsonworked for me & I know his daughter Val real well.

  875. #875Former Wrench2022-05-24 15:01

    As soon as I saw the photo I recognized the KW.

  876. #876Hayesno12022-05-24 16:24

    Thank you to all of you for sharing all those great pictures. I must say I have seen many of them before but some are new. I still prefer to see them in the differentiere truck makes threas but I guess I am getting old

  877. #877mekanik2022-05-24 20:34

    My Dad and his early 60's Pacific.

  878. #878skadill2022-05-24 21:55
  879. #879skadill2022-05-24 21:56
  880. #880JPV2022-05-25 00:18

    That is an interesting lowboy setup there, never seen or would have ever thought of it!

  881. #881camptramp2022-05-25 00:20

    Tom Worth Collection

  882. #882Hank R2022-05-25 07:40
  883. #883skadill2022-05-25 21:39
  884. #884skadill2022-05-25 21:41
  885. #885camptramp2022-05-25 21:44

    Tom Worth Collection

  886. #886Truck Shop2022-05-25 21:44

    Great photos!

  887. #887camptramp2022-05-25 22:55

    View attachment 260210 "Boulder" Bill Elliot Collection

  888. #888Hank R2022-05-26 07:49

    After waiting in the staging area for a forest fire Jordie was playing around.

  889. #889skadill2022-05-26 12:56

    180,000to 200,000 pound American yarder

  890. #890Truck Shop2022-05-26 21:59
  891. #891skadill2022-05-26 22:08
  892. #892skadill2022-05-26 22:10
  893. #893camptramp2022-05-26 22:18

    Boulder Bill Elliot Collection Lloyd Thompson Photo

  894. #894camptramp2022-05-26 22:23

    Tom Worth Collection

  895. #895Hank R2022-05-27 07:42
  896. #896Truck Shop2022-05-27 15:41

    1966 W924.

  897. #897John C.2022-05-27 17:43

    That's a long logger!

  898. #898Truck Shop2022-05-27 19:39
  899. #899JPV2022-05-27 20:35

    Be still my beating heart....., My oh my!

  900. #900Truck Shop2022-05-27 21:44

    May as well have a pen & ink of a classic 1965.

  901. #901Jumbo2022-05-27 21:57

    Back in the mid '70s the Southcenter Mall had art exhibits every 3 -4 months. There was a woman who would make a pen and ink or even an oil painting of any photo you brought her. I brought her a photo of the KW long logger I was driving and the tower and shovel I was being loaded under. As I recall, it was about $50 for the two and I was in the truck oil painting. The next time I saw her, she had made generic copies of what she sold me and she said they were a "hot item." When the ex and I did the divide by two, she shredded them. I wish I could find her again, the photos are gone, the paintings are gone but I still have the memories.

  902. #902Truck Shop2022-05-27 22:01

    That's too bad Jumbo, things like that are hard to replace. But at least you have the Memories.

  903. #903Truck Shop2022-05-27 22:10

    Jumbo if you would like-pm me your address and I will send you a couple of prints of the one above and a Western Star--Free. Way too bad you lost those pictures.

  904. #904camptramp2022-05-27 22:49

    Tom Worth Collection

  905. #905camptramp2022-05-27 22:55

    "Boulder " Bill Elliot Collection

  906. #906skadill2022-05-27 23:22
  907. #907skadill2022-05-27 23:24
  908. #908Hank R2022-05-28 07:35
  909. #909Hallback2022-05-28 18:44
  910. #910Hallback2022-05-28 18:46
  911. #911Truck Shop2022-05-28 19:16

    I don't know almost a little too classy for the woods.

  912. #912colson042022-05-28 20:30

    Classy or not, I'd drive it and have a hell of a great day doing it.

  913. #913Hallback2022-05-28 21:05

    Well,you know the driver sure ain't!

  914. #914skadill2022-05-28 22:39
  915. #915skadill2022-05-28 22:41
  916. #916Hank R2022-05-28 22:44

    I am sure in the winter with a good stiff wind and blowing snow you become a good operator on the picker real fast.

  917. #917Birken Vogt2022-05-28 23:25

    The height on those stakes looks awful high, were they just put up for the picture?

  918. #918camptramp2022-05-28 23:58

    Tom Worth Collection

  919. #919camptramp2022-05-29 00:02

    "Boulder" Bill Elliot Lloyd Thompson Photo 's

  920. #920camptramp2022-05-29 00:13

    John Walker Collection

  921. #921Hank R2022-05-29 08:17

    Having fun waiting as to where to go for a forest fire south of town.

  922. #922525isx2022-05-29 14:35

    originally Al Ballastrasse ' truck with 1676 cat- repowered with a 1693 then later 3406

  923. #923525isx2022-05-29 14:40

    originally Al Balastrasse' truck with 1676 cat, repowered w/ 1693, then later 3406

  924. #924Truck Shop2022-05-29 14:41
  925. #925Truck Shop2022-05-29 14:43

    Belongs to Fife IIRC.

  926. #926Truck Shop2022-05-29 14:44
  927. #927Truck Shop2022-05-29 14:46
  928. #928Birken Vogt2022-05-29 20:47

    Soper-Wheeler, just a few miles from here (as the crow flies, but a long drive). I read they were getting out of the business.

  929. #929skadill2022-05-29 22:41
  930. #930skadill2022-05-29 22:42
  931. #931Hank R2022-05-30 07:33
  932. #932camptramp2022-05-30 21:46
  933. #933camptramp2022-05-30 21:49

    "Boulder" Bill Elliot

  934. #934skadill2022-05-30 22:11
  935. #935skadill2022-05-30 22:13
  936. #936Hank R2022-05-31 07:41
  937. #937Jumbo2022-05-31 09:39

    Delete double post.

  938. #938Jumbo2022-05-31 09:44
  939. #939skadill2022-05-31 22:04
  940. #940skadill2022-05-31 22:06
  941. #941camptramp2022-05-31 22:42

    "Boulder" Bill Elliot Coll ection

  942. #942camptramp2022-05-31 22:47

    John Walker Collection

  943. #943skadill2022-06-01 23:14
  944. #944skadill2022-06-01 23:19
  945. #945camptramp2022-06-01 23:22

    "Boulder" Bill Elliot Collection

  946. #946camptramp2022-06-01 23:25

    John Walker Collection

  947. #947Hank R2022-06-02 07:38

    My next pictures are from R. A. Lind collection.

  948. #948DMiller2022-06-02 19:01

    Guinea Green, did not think ANY other truck used that color but Mack!!!

  949. #949Truck Shop2022-06-02 19:05

    That's kind of a dull Guinea Green.

  950. #950DMiller2022-06-02 19:34
  951. #951camptramp2022-06-02 22:14

    John Walker Collection

  952. #952Hallback2022-06-02 22:18
  953. #953camptramp2022-06-02 22:21

    Carl Carlson Collection

  954. #954skadill2022-06-02 22:36
  955. #955skadill2022-06-02 22:38
  956. #956kshansen2022-06-03 05:53

    I think I spotted a red KW with the lamps I I have one of!

  957. #957Hank R2022-06-03 11:02

    Lind Brothers went to Babine lake hard winter of 1956 -57 getting only 6 weeks of work in seven months ground never froze. Hungry and broke brothers moved back to Princeton and broke up there little company they ad 54 White WC-22 and a 56 Ford F-800 with 10 ft bunks. Ford got off road a bit and stuck pulling the truck out and pulled load apart and logs fell off.

  958. #958John C.2022-06-03 18:07

    I remember stories like that from my parents. Hard winters with oddball weather and not being able to even get into the woods. I remember hearing my mother on a phone call apparently from a banker wanting payment on the shovel in my avatar. She told him that if he could get to it, he could have it. Tough times then as there were four or five of us kids eating a poached elk for meat that winter.

  959. #959Hallback2022-06-03 20:08

    I remember those times fondly. Sadly, I'm afraid they are here again. I will be listing everything for sale next week.

  960. #960Hank R2022-06-03 20:14

    It is a very very sad world that we are in Hard work does not cut it. Here in Canada one can not get good workers. Wednesday is wing night at the Pub so 3 or 4 guys do not come to work on Thursday, Thursday night a few other need practice drinking for Friday so they do not show up. Just what I hear from friend in the loop.

  961. #961Hallback2022-06-03 20:35

    Agreed, it's just what it is. $6.05/gal for fuel. My bill for may was $117k & grossed only $240k. Just doesn't work.

  962. #962Truck Shop2022-06-03 21:00

    I'm just waiting/figuring the company I work will go bust. The overhead is just too much. Sorry to hear that Hallback, you tried hard.

  963. #963camptramp2022-06-03 22:26

    John Walker Collection

  964. #964camptramp2022-06-03 22:36

    Carl Carlson Collection

  965. #965camptramp2022-06-04 00:21

    Dave Whiskin Collection

  966. #966Hank R2022-06-04 07:55

    R.A. bought a 1952 Reo, 6 cylinder. 145 Hp. Gold comet engine truck cost $7,200.xx.

  967. #967DMiller2022-06-04 08:53

    Hallback and TS, can relate as the current employer even if for only Five more working days is at odds on which road to take. He is considering 1) shutting down to Local only operation where can control to a limited extent what gets done and fuel cost controlled, 2) closing doors altogether should fuel hit $7 as that becomes the No Brainer cannot make enough to keep lights on and 3) selling out to someone that thinks they can do better then watching them collapse into that self destruction phase he can already see coming.

  968. #968Hallback2022-06-04 09:05

    I have run those same three scenarios thru my head also.

  969. #969DMiller2022-06-04 09:45

    Sad to think HB, ALL trucking owners and Heavy Fuels user companies are too.

  970. #970Truck Shop2022-06-04 10:27

    Accounts payable that includes wages verses accounts receivable, with operating costs changing by the minute leaves no bark on the tree. Any false moves monetarily can be a death nail.

  971. #971John C.2022-06-04 10:32

    Sorry to hear of your troubles Hallback. I hate to hear of company sales and the troubles it causes to all those impacted.

  972. #972Hallback2022-06-04 12:19

    Thanks guys, it will all shake out. Whether it's a good or bad shake is still to be determined!!

  973. #973skadill2022-06-04 22:24
  974. #974Hank R2022-06-05 07:54

    R. A. first diesel 1962 Autocar, Bob and his wife flew out to Montreal and drove it back west, they brought a truck back for the dealer as well and it had a 220 Cummins power. In 64 he bought a second Autocar with a 335

  975. #975Truck Shop2022-06-05 12:07

    Autocars & Western Stars had one thing in common, the rails. Grade 10 or better. Obvious when drilling for attachments. One reason Stars were a common log truck.

  976. #976Hallback2022-06-05 13:32

    Very true!! I knew a few guys that would go to Canada to buy them before they had a market share down here.

  977. #977Hank R2022-06-05 14:14

    Bob told me when I did the story about him for Wheels of Time that each Autocar had over 600,000 miles with out any suspension or frame problems.

  978. #978Hank R2022-06-05 14:18
  979. #979camptramp2022-06-05 14:22

    Were Autocar and Western Stars part of the White family of trucks at one time?

  980. #980Truck Shop2022-06-05 16:03

    Correct-White owned or had their fingers in just about every make at one time except PacCar.

  981. #981Truck Shop2022-06-05 16:10

    This 1973 Star originally belonged to Bennet Logging in Lewiston Id. Was light green & white. I bought it for $9,000 in 1997. It had a small cam 350 that I re-rated to CPL 695 {400 Magnum} Eaton 380's on beam biscuit. The frame was tough to drill.

  982. #982DMiller2022-06-05 16:40

    Iron Everything except the Hoods!!!

  983. #983Truck Shop2022-06-05 17:48

    That Star is still running and in operation as I type.

  984. #984Hallback2022-06-05 18:02

    And I bet you wouldn't be able to buy a 98 KW or Starcar for 9k today!!

  985. #985Truck Shop2022-06-05 18:08

    Imagine the rocky crap that star ran over before I got it.-----------The real good thing about it---no a/c. Just sat in your stink.

  986. #986Hallback2022-06-05 18:31

    Looks like a damn solid truck.

  987. #987Truck Shop2022-06-05 18:39

    Steve had that-still has it's sister a water truck. She was pretty rough when I got it. Sister below next to my mack.

  988. #988Hallback2022-06-05 18:47

    Looks familiar.....

  989. #989skadill2022-06-05 22:17
  990. #990John C.2022-06-05 23:12

    Those photos look like commercial promotional picts. Those are some very shiny pieces of rolling stock.

  991. #991colson042022-06-06 07:02

    Delivery day?

  992. #992Hank R2022-06-06 07:33

    Ford broke the bridge north of Princeton.

  993. #993skadill2022-06-06 22:28
  994. #994camptramp2022-06-06 23:45

    Pat Blatchford Collection Nekite River 1979

  995. #995camptramp2022-06-06 23:50

    Carl Carlson Collection

  996. #996skadill2022-06-07 01:10

    Where first scratches and paint chips originate from

  997. #997Hank R2022-06-07 07:11

    Forgot to say the Ford was a single axle truck and when they went north to Babine lake they wanted 2 tandem trucks. Linds found some Mack bogies and installed them.

  998. #998Old Doug2022-06-07 07:42

    Was the ford damaged or totaled after the bridge ?

  999. #999Hank R2022-06-07 07:55

    Ford had very little damage itself, was used for a year longer the replaced with bigger truck and trailer

  1000. #1000skadill2022-06-07 22:47
  1001. #1001skadill2022-06-07 22:53

    last of the shiny Westerns stars

  1002. #1002camptramp2022-06-08 00:09

    "Boulder " Bill Elliot Collection

  1003. #1003Hank R2022-06-08 07:34
  1004. #1004skadill2022-06-08 22:46
  1005. #1005camptramp2022-06-08 23:52

    This "Jewel" had the emblems of Autocar , GMC , Volvo and White on it . They took the worst components of 4 makes and put them in one truck . The only good thing about it was the 3406 Cat and the 18 seed trans . It would have made a great Furniture Van , it had a wide cab for a driver and two swamper's . It rode on gravel roads like a buckin bronco . You didn't wear a seat belt for safety , you wore it to stay in the drivers seat .

  1006. #1006camptramp2022-06-08 23:58

    "Boulder" Bill Elliot Collection

  1007. #1007Birken Vogt2022-06-09 00:04

    I also once saw a White/GMC/Volvo/Autocar. It was a dump or water truck (can't remember) for the USFS in eastern Oregon. Something the govt would buy.

  1008. #1008Jumbo2022-06-09 00:13
  1009. #1009camptramp2022-06-09 00:44

    A spelling error LOL . It had some kind of a torsion bar under the back of the cab and it rode terrible . The truck was leased to Timberwest , I made my trips with it , I did okay with it for hours , so the owner did okay too . Eventually he replaced it with a new Mack . During the 1990's we were usually on Off Highway Log Trucks hauling into Honeymoon Bay DLS , but there were some area's that were being logged and the timber was being hauled on the highway to the Shoal I. DLS with "lease-a-wrecks" eventually everything was hauled on Highway Trucks to Shoal I. and we ended up on new Western Stars .

  1010. #1010Truck Shop2022-06-09 07:16

    The Volvo/White/GMC combination produced some of the poorest designs ever. And tough to get parts for later.

  1011. #1011Hank R2022-06-09 07:27
  1012. #1012Old Doug2022-06-09 08:02

    A place i worked at had one that had been a glider. It was put together out of well used parts. The axles were worn bad were the bearings rode will had a lathe that could handle them so we welded them up and turned them down. I think it had 3.40 gears with a 13 speed we run it in direct most of the time i put a few pistons and sleeves in it from guys lugging it in OD before we went to 4.11. I never liked the cab but we took care of it keeping up on repairs and it ran alot of trouble free miles.

  1013. #1013skadill2022-06-09 21:56
  1014. #1014camptramp2022-06-09 22:07

    I made my trips and I never had any trouble with it . But I won't even get in the cab of another one .

  1015. #1015camptramp2022-06-09 22:12
  1016. #1016camptramp2022-06-09 22:19
  1017. #1017camptramp2022-06-09 22:28

    Note the Hayes on the left , that is Rich Bennett's Hayes before he had the bigger loader mounted on it and the tandem front steering axles installed to handle the extra weight on the front axle .

  1018. #1018camptramp2022-06-09 22:32

    "Boulder" Bill Elliot Collection

  1019. #1019Hank R2022-06-10 07:30
  1020. #1020Jumbo2022-06-10 17:52
  1021. #1021skadill2022-06-10 23:00
  1022. #1022camptramp2022-06-10 23:17

    "Boulder" Bill Elliot Collection

  1023. #1023camptramp2022-06-10 23:22
  1024. #1024camptramp2022-06-10 23:47

    Rob Norman Collection

  1025. #1025Hank R2022-06-11 07:50
  1026. #1026JPV2022-06-11 09:02

    Hopefully that wasn't the same trip!

  1027. #1027Former Wrench2022-06-11 14:27

    This one is at the KW dealer's yard in Aberdeen, WA. It has been there for about a month. Don't know the story. Poor photo quality due to the 2 in. of rain we got that day.

  1028. #1028skadill2022-06-11 22:00
  1029. #1029skadill2022-06-11 22:07
  1030. #1030camptramp2022-06-12 00:12

    John Walker Collection

  1031. #1031camptramp2022-06-12 00:33

    "Boulder" Bill Elliot Collection

  1032. #1032Hank R2022-06-12 07:58
  1033. #1033Old Doug2022-06-12 09:31

    A little more speed and he could of made the short cut.

  1034. #1034JPV2022-06-12 09:41

    Looks like a good time to chain up the steer axle

  1035. #1035Truck Shop2022-06-12 11:23

    Those logs would have mowed the cab flat.

  1036. #1036John C.2022-06-12 11:44

    I'd be pulling a vacuum on the seat for sure. I wonder how much damage is going to be done just pulling that back onto the road?

  1037. #1037Hank R2022-06-12 11:52

    I am sure the pucker factor came along real fast, and the first step was shaky

  1038. #1038camptramp2022-06-12 22:41

    John Walker Collection

  1039. #1039camptramp2022-06-12 22:44

    "Boulder" Bill Elliot

  1040. #1040camptramp2022-06-12 22:54
  1041. #1041skadill2022-06-12 23:16
  1042. #1042skadill2022-06-12 23:18
  1043. #1043Hank R2022-06-13 10:42
  1044. #1044Truck Shop2022-06-13 11:56

    Surprising it was only spec'ed with 5/16" rails.

  1045. #1045skadill2022-06-13 22:30
  1046. #1046Hank R2022-06-14 07:51
  1047. #1047skadill2022-06-14 22:59
  1048. #1048camptramp2022-06-14 23:22

    John Walker Collection

  1049. #1049camptramp2022-06-14 23:25

    "Boulder" Bill Elliot Collection

  1050. #1050camptramp2022-06-14 23:43

    Steve Sangara Collection

  1051. #1051camptramp2022-06-14 23:53

    Jeet Sangara Collection

  1052. #1052Hank R2022-06-15 07:33
  1053. #1053Hank R2022-06-15 07:35
  1054. #1054skadill2022-06-15 22:15
  1055. #1055skadill2022-06-15 22:22
  1056. #1056Hank R2022-06-16 07:45
  1057. #1057skadill2022-06-16 23:17
  1058. #1058skadill2022-06-16 23:19
  1059. #1059John C.2022-06-16 23:21

    I'm getting to the point of rather seeing an old piece of iron go the scrapper now days rather than it sit till the brush hides from the world.

  1060. #1060camptramp2022-06-16 23:44

    John Walker Collection

  1061. #1061camptramp2022-06-16 23:47

    "Boulder" Bill Elliot Collection

  1062. #1062camptramp2022-06-17 00:08

    Jeet Sangara Collection This old Kenworth wasn't a bad ride . It is owned by a Cobble Hill Excavating Company . It was used as their Lowbed Truck , they also had a "Jeep" with a "Pole Trailer" to haul logs . When I started it had a 13 speed trans that was making a lot of noise . I pointed it out to the lead drive and he said it had been that way for quite a while , don't worry about it . It didn't make the week ,going through Duncan one afternoon it started making some serious noise . I found a wide spot and they had a self loader come and pick up the load. It went back to a shop on the "Hook" , when they took the trans out , the input shaft bearings were "Done" . And I ended up with a brand new used 18 speed .

  1063. #1063Hank R2022-06-17 07:36
  1064. #1064skadill2022-06-17 22:28
  1065. #1065skadill2022-06-17 22:30
  1066. #1066camptramp2022-06-18 00:07

    John Walker Collection

  1067. #1067camptramp2022-06-18 00:11

    "Boulder" Bill Elliot Collection

  1068. #1068camptramp2022-06-18 00:16

    Steve Sangara Collection

  1069. #1069JPV2022-06-18 03:25

    Unloading a hayrack like that with a crane that has the big grapple is kind of tricky, it takes good communication between the crane operator and driver to not pinch the frame rails with the tips of the grapples. There is a local milk here that uses that system and you used to stand near the front of the truck and give hand signals to the operator way above. Now you stand in a little steel booth and give directions with a radio. There is very little room for error.

  1070. #1070Hank R2022-06-18 07:42
  1071. #1071Truck Shop2022-06-18 20:44

    Camptramp, Skadill, Jumbo and Hank R, question what's a good guess on the gross vehicle weight in this photo.

  1072. #1072JPV2022-06-18 21:35

    My WAG is 170,000. Truck around 50,000 and that looks like it would take 2 trips to move that wood on a highway truck that can net 60,000. I have no idea really but fun to guess.

  1073. #1073Truck Shop2022-06-18 21:43

    I'm guessing 140,000, wild.

  1074. #1074Hank R2022-06-18 21:54

    My guess is 147,000 as not sure on how long those logs are also bunks 14 ft wide??

  1075. #1075skadill2022-06-18 22:08
  1076. #1076petepilot2022-06-18 23:39

    what ever the weight don`t think i would have stopped my pu right there

  1077. #1077Alusium2022-06-19 02:05

    one tree?

  1078. #1078Hank R2022-06-19 11:21
  1079. #1079skadill2022-06-19 22:18
  1080. #1080skadill2022-06-19 22:21
  1081. #1081Hank R2022-06-19 22:31

    Have not seen a Cattermote Timber truck for years. In the 70' hauling Cotton wood to the dry sort at Chilliwack seen lots but forgot about that company. The last picture that KW has some good sized rubber on the trailer.

  1082. #1082Hank R2022-06-20 07:30
  1083. #1083Old Doug2022-06-20 08:09

    We have alot of cotton wood here i realy did think about it growing in so many places. Its mainly used for pallets. My dad had a warehouse we sectioned of a corner of it where we had a shop. We had a sawmill cut some 2x6 out of cotton wood to build the walls. It was a very old building that had been used as part of a concrete vault shop. You could wear a broom out and never get all the dust sweep up. After dad sold it they made a restaurant out of it the shop part was the kitchen.

  1084. #1084Hank R2022-06-20 11:15

    The Cotton wood was being sold to Scott Paper for 2 ply non skid TP,

  1085. #1085Jumbo2022-06-20 18:21

    210,000. Best of all, it that appears to be a propane fired Hall Scott.

  1086. #1086Truck Shop2022-06-20 18:49
  1087. #1087camptramp2022-06-20 22:36

    John Walker Collection

  1088. #1088camptramp2022-06-20 22:44

    "Boulder Bill Elliot Collection

  1089. #1089camptramp2022-06-20 22:50

    Steve Sangara Collection

  1090. #1090camptramp2022-06-20 22:51

    Steve Sangara Collection

  1091. #1091skadill2022-06-20 23:20
  1092. #1092skadill2022-06-20 23:22
  1093. #1093Hank R2022-06-21 11:43
  1094. #1094Hank R2022-06-21 11:49
  1095. #1095skadill2022-06-21 23:52
  1096. #1096camptramp2022-06-21 23:59

    Bob James Collection

  1097. #1097camptramp2022-06-22 00:04

    "Boulder" Bill Elliot Collection

  1098. #1098camptramp2022-06-22 00:07

    Steve Sangara Collection

  1099. #1099Hank R2022-06-22 10:50
  1100. #1100Truck Shop2022-06-22 20:04
  1101. #1101skadill2022-06-22 21:36
  1102. #1102camptramp2022-06-22 23:49

    Bob James Collection

  1103. #1103camptramp2022-06-22 23:53

    "Boulder" Bill Elliot Collection

  1104. #1104camptramp2022-06-22 23:59

    Steve Sangara Collection

  1105. #1105Hank R2022-06-23 07:44

    Garry Leduc collection

  1106. #1106skadill2022-06-23 21:51
  1107. #1107Truck Shop2022-06-23 21:56

    Seems they had a fairly high ratio of Dayton wheels.

  1108. #1108Hallback2022-06-23 22:14

    Eff those wheels....

  1109. #1109Jumbo2022-06-23 22:46

    I've noticed that also over the years. Can anybody up north of 49 offer an explanation? I've always been curious.

  1110. #1110skyking12022-06-23 22:57

    that one steamy pic of the boulder Bill Elliot collection, are they filling the brake water with that hose?

  1111. #1111camptramp2022-06-24 00:12

    There were a lot of Dayton wheels around this neck of the woods until the late 1990's . Steel Bud wheels were heavy and magnesium wheels wear out . Now most wheels are magnesium .

  1112. #1112camptramp2022-06-24 00:26

    Those logging trucks use water sprayed on the brake drums to keep the drums from over heating on steep , long hills . There is away to use a blast of air to blow the water out of the water lines . Most drivers would clear the water out of the lines before coming to a stop ( if you had a hot brake drum and came to a stop , the water in lines running on a hot brake drum could crack it ) I don't think this driver "cleared the water out of the lines before stopping" he has stopped to fuel up and a bit of water is running on the brake drums and steam is rising from the back of truck through the load .

  1113. #1113camptramp2022-06-24 00:30

    Steve Sangara Collection

  1114. #1114camptramp2022-06-24 00:33

    Bob James Collection

  1115. #1115camptramp2022-06-24 00:37

    "Boulder Bill Elliot Collection

  1116. #1116DMiller2022-06-24 06:39

    IIRC from really older hand when I started in truck industry, Daytons were a carryover of the first heavy truck wheels. They were on and off capable with a simple jack and simple tools allowing even a driver to fix his own flats or swing a spare. Budds took compounding wrench to get off and on with more lug nuts so were a contrary point of contention until industry grew with service shops and tire trucks availability. For the loggers can see the easier to service part but yes they are a bear to square back up as reinstalled. Do not see them much anymore at all now.

  1117. #1117Hank R2022-06-24 07:32
  1118. #1118Truck Shop2022-06-24 07:37

    Minnesota Mags.

  1119. #1119Truck Shop2022-06-24 19:31

    Jumbo! You posted this photo on here a ways back-IIRC you knew about these trucks. Do you know what happened to them especially the Red 41 Pete. Only one Pete was ever constructed like that one. These photos below are the same truck.

  1120. #1120Truck Shop2022-06-24 20:51

    First world record load set by Cougar Bill in Thompson River, Mt, black and white. Second world record set by LHC in Thompson River, Mt. in 1972-350 Cummins powered.

  1121. #1121Truck Shop2022-06-24 21:56

    Jumbo did you see what I posted on previous page?

  1122. #1122Jumbo2022-06-24 21:59

    In Libby Mt, they have the photo of the '72 Pete and claim it was hauling over the old J. Neils RR mainline which at that time had become St. Regis. (Now called the Champion haul road.) I've drive the old RR mainline which is now a truck road many times. You can still see the original interchange with the Great Northern just below Libby Dam. Either way, it is a hell of a load.

  1123. #1123Truck Shop2022-06-24 22:02

    Thanks Jumbo, did you see the 41 Pete I posted?

  1124. #1124Jumbo2022-06-24 22:51

    No idea All I have ever seen up close were the B&W prints. In Snoqualmie, there was a mural "downtown" with them colorized, different colors. When I was driving for Weyerhaeuser in the '70s, the truck boss was Gus Person, he (if i remember correctly) drove the one on the left. "Snozz" Olsen drove the one on the right. More than likely they were run until they were scrap value. The B&W photo appears to be Camp "B" which was the reload for a few years until the RR was pulled up I think in the late '40s.

  1125. #1125Hallback2022-06-24 23:16

    I'm in St. Regis right now.....

  1126. #1126Jumbo2022-06-24 23:32

    St. Regis MT? If so, top out over Gold Pass and travel down to Avery ID. then down to Marble Creek. Lots of logging back in the '30s and '40s

  1127. #1127Hallback2022-06-25 07:43

    Yessir, rode the motorcycles over here yesterday to visit with my uncle who is 84 & lives off grid on the Clark Fork River.

  1128. #1128skadill2022-06-25 11:50
  1129. #1129Jumbo2022-06-25 12:07

    Skadill; I've a question for you and every other BC logger: Down here, below 49, we see self loaders tucked away behind the cab when traveling. North of 49, we see photos of the "big ear" on the front bumper to grab onto with the grapples when traveling. Why? Is it a weight distribution thing?

  1130. #1130camptramp2022-06-25 23:52

    Steve Sangara collection

  1131. #1131camptramp2022-06-25 23:56

    Bob James Collection

  1132. #1132camptramp2022-06-26 00:01

    "Boulder" Bill Elliot Collection

  1133. #1133Hank R2022-06-26 07:43
  1134. #1134DMiller2022-06-26 07:50

    Upside down Chain Drive tandem was unexpected, but No Chains.

  1135. #1135skadill2022-06-26 12:44
  1136. #1136camptramp2022-06-27 00:10

    Bob James Collection

  1137. #1137camptramp2022-06-27 00:15

    Steve Sangara Collection

  1138. #1138camptramp2022-06-27 00:20

    "Boulder Bill Elliot Collection

  1139. #1139Hank R2022-06-27 07:35
  1140. #114059 North2022-06-27 17:21

    Must be an interesting story on the truck with Alaska Freight Lines on the door. When I was kid I recall hearing some stories about a company with the same name, that worked quite a fleet of trucks here in Alaska in the '50s and (early? '60s). Wonder if there is any connection? There was a video that shows a company of that name hauling cargo for DEW line work.

  1141. #1141Jumbo2022-06-27 20:24

    Those Alaska trucks I believe were logging the pool behind Ross Dam on the Skagit. It took place in the '50s during the raising of the dam. They cut the area and floated them North into BC as the water level gradually grew. they went into BC since that was the only road access. At the time of construction, Ross Dam was only served by an incline railway. Silver Skagit was the logging company. I do remember that.

  1142. #1142skadill2022-06-27 22:01
  1143. #114359 North2022-06-27 22:08

    Interesting. Thanks!

  1144. #1144camptramp2022-06-27 23:36

    Your correct Jumbo . These pictures were taken by Lloyd Thompson who's son Russel let Bill Elliot copy them . Some of these pictures were taken at Kelly Logging at Juskatla in the QCI's . I heard Lloyd mention , he started to drive Logging Trucks in the QCI's . So I would assume Lloyd left the QCI's and worked at the Silver Skagit before hiring on driving logging truck at BCFP Harris Creek in August 1954 . The pictures are mixed up , but I'm reasonably sure the Logging Trucks with the long reach's dumping in the river , are the Silver Skagit .

  1145. #1145Hank R2022-06-28 07:31

    I agree with Jumbo as I remember Hank Suderman had a lot of the samme pictures as his Dad work there or was involved with the logging operation .

  1146. #1146Hank R2022-06-28 10:44
  1147. #1147Truck Shop2022-06-28 11:18

    Mark Tarasewich owns those.?

  1148. #1148Hank R2022-06-28 11:41

    Yes and a few others, some of the pictures are to large to post so that is how it is.

  1149. #1149skadill2022-06-28 21:56
  1150. #1150camptramp2022-06-28 23:23

    Steve Sangara Collection

  1151. #1151camptramp2022-06-28 23:27

    Bob James Collection

  1152. #1152camptramp2022-06-28 23:30

    "Boulder" Bill Elliot Collection

  1153. #1153Hank R2022-06-29 07:22

    Mark Taraswick Collection

  1154. #1154Hank R2022-06-29 14:05
  1155. #1155skadill2022-06-29 23:40
  1156. #1156camptramp2022-06-30 00:24

    Jeet Sangara Collection

  1157. #1157camptramp2022-06-30 00:29

    Bob James Collection

  1158. #1158camptramp2022-06-30 00:32

    "Boulder" Bill Elliot Collection

  1159. #1159Hank R2022-06-30 10:42

    R.W. Grey collection (Mostly Saunders)

  1160. #1160Hank R2022-06-30 16:56
  1161. #1161skadill2022-06-30 20:03
  1162. #1162Hank R2022-07-01 07:32
  1163. #1163Truck Shop2022-07-01 17:39
  1164. #1164DMiller2022-07-01 20:46

    Back when Men were Manly Men and Sheep were Scared!!!

  1165. #1165Jumbo2022-07-01 21:04

    If I read correctly, you can either have tandem drive with chain or tandem drive with double reduction rear ends. Just how long was this choice available, when did they do away with the chain drive? I know I drove a former chain drive, but it had been changed out, or at least that is what my uncle told me.

  1166. #1166Truck Shop2022-07-01 21:59

    With that wrought iron grille and the style of badges the KW ad above would have to be late 30's early 40's.

  1167. #1167Truck Shop2022-07-01 22:10

    This photo shows a unusual KW. Can anybody pick out what it is.

  1168. #1168Hank R2022-07-02 07:20
  1169. #1169mekanik2022-07-02 07:22

    A one piece flat windshield?

  1170. #1170Truck Shop2022-07-02 07:30

    Correct-but did that come from my other post on another thread. I let the cat out of the bag. From 42 to early 46 there were less than 400 built in Yakima, there is no exact number of how many but estimate is less than 90 a year.

  1171. #1171Old Doug2022-07-02 08:47

    Sterling i think made the last chain drive truck in the middle 60s. I would like to have known how long the chains lasted and hear stories about them. They most have been ok to go that long or they would have went away long ago.

  1172. #1172Old Doug2022-07-02 08:50

    Wind sheild? I didnt see mekaniks reply.

  1173. #1173mekanik2022-07-02 08:57

    I worked for a Kenworth dealer from 1980 until 2004. I was unaware they ever built a truck with a one piece windshield.

  1174. #1174DMiller2022-07-02 09:11

    1930s were almost All flat glass one piece, SMALL Cabs

  1175. #1175Old Doug2022-07-02 11:58

    I wish my IH had a flat 2 piece windsheild this spring i broke a chain and the cable came over the top and slapped it braking it this is the second time its happen. I never had it licensed but its handy to have a windsheild to keep out rain and snow.

  1176. #1176Truck Shop2022-07-02 14:12

    The last of the Shovel Nose were built in 1940, the cab change came in 41. But when production was moved to Yakima KW continued that cab until 45. Shovel Nose with one piece glass.

  1177. #1177Truck Shop2022-07-02 14:27

    Finding a complete/for sure KW built between 42 to 46 is extremely rare. I only know of one a 1944 that is for sure built in Yakima. Many say they know where one is but the chances are it doesn't exist. Plus very few people even knew there were Kenworths built in Yakima until I and another guy started posting about them.

  1178. #1178John C.2022-07-02 14:31

    Also seems to be some commonality with horse collar grills in that era.

  1179. #1179mekanik2022-07-02 15:29

    The Hayes bear in the picture has been on my tool box for over 30 years. I took it off the drivers door of an old Hayes HD log truck that had been parted out. There were two HD's one had gold bears on it. I gave the gold one away to a guy that was a Hayes truck enthusiast. Does anyone know what the significance of the gold was?

  1180. #1180Truck Shop2022-07-02 15:50

    The truck on the right is a Fageol, Peterman who built the first Peterbilts bought Fageol in 1938. The first Peterbilt trucks were built in 1939. Peterman was in the logging business in Morton, Wa.. Peterbilt's were built originally for the logging industry. Peterman bought out Fageol for $50,000 dollars.

  1181. #1181Hallback2022-07-02 16:10

    Is it the one I have seen?

  1182. #1182Truck Shop2022-07-02 18:20

    This one is in Ore.

  1183. #1183skadill2022-07-02 21:41
  1184. #1184Hank R2022-07-03 07:36
  1185. #1185camptramp2022-07-03 18:47

    Steve Sangara Collection

  1186. #1186camptramp2022-07-03 18:50

    Bob James Collection

  1187. #1187skadill2022-07-03 22:18
  1188. #1188camptramp2022-07-03 22:28

    View attachment 263061 View attachment 263062 View attachment 263063 "Boulder" Bill Elliot Collection View attachment 263061 View attachment 263062 View attachment 263063

  1189. #1189camptramp2022-07-03 22:30

    "Boulder" Bill Elliot Collection

  1190. #1190Hank R2022-07-04 07:11
  1191. #1191skadill2022-07-04 22:46
  1192. #1192Hank R2022-07-05 07:25
  1193. #1193skadill2022-07-05 22:02
  1194. #1194camptramp2022-07-05 23:41

    Jeet S angara Collection

  1195. #1195camptramp2022-07-05 23:46

    "Boulder" Bill Elliot Collection

  1196. #1196Hank R2022-07-06 07:27

    Some days the boys were hard on the paint.

  1197. #1197John C.2022-07-06 09:34

    I can't put a like on an accident like that anymore. The photo is fine and reminds people to be careful.

  1198. #1198mekanik2022-07-06 10:01

    Roll it back on its tires get the oil out of the cylinders and fire it up, put the load back on and repair the broken mirror at the end of the day. The cab probably needed a good cleaning anyway.

  1199. #1199latreenbeast2022-07-06 13:47
  1200. #1200latreenbeast2022-07-06 13:48

    Looks the road to Winter Harbour

  1201. #1201Truck Shop2022-07-06 18:04
  1202. #1202camptramp2022-07-06 18:27

    That would be an interesting one to find out what went wrong . Straight road flopped over on the drivers side , it looks like a pretty good road with good gravel surface . It appears the trailer tracked into the ditch and then took the truck over . The trailer "Reach" looks to have a bad bend in it . One has to wonder if that happened before or after the truck ended up in the ditch . The repair job might be more than a new mirror on the drivers side .

  1203. #1203skadill2022-07-06 21:36
  1204. #1204Hank R2022-07-07 07:40
  1205. #1205kshansen2022-07-07 10:41

    That looks like the Chevy Stepside pick-up that dad got out of to go talk to the driller at the quarry one day and forgot to put the parking brake on. One of the haul truck drivers in the pit getting loaded watched as truck went off the 50 + foot face and did a nose dive to the quarry floor. Haul truck driver was too scared to go check out the truck!

  1206. #1206skadill2022-07-07 22:10
  1207. #1207Hank R2022-07-08 07:36
  1208. #1208mekanik2022-07-08 20:35

    Those Kenworth bring back memories. In the early 80's I was the young guy in the shop. I was always the one they sent out in the service truck to deal with breakdowns. I didn't mind the overtime the money was good. Back then when someone needed help they radioed in on the VHF radio system. It could connect with the telephone system but it was not clear. In the 1978 Canada went metric. Kenworth had problems with the quality of their frame bolts which they eventually traced to counterfeit bolts. Frame bolts were breaking for no reason. One winter day a call came in from a customer on the VHF with a new Kenworth with some broken bolts about 60 miles north on the haul road. They sent the young guy "me" with a big box of bolts and my tools to rescue him. When I got there about two hours later the truck was on the side of a road going up to the setting with the trailer loaded and both rear axles were about a hundred feet away one on each side of the road in the ditch. The truck had Big Six suspension and the axles were held in place with torque rods. I'm not sure what let go. I told the driver "I think were going to need a tow truck" I gave the driver a ride back to town and we sent a tow truck and a Hiab truck to pick up the pieces. Another time we got a call from a stranded log hauler about 120 miles away on the VHF that you could barely understand. He had some air lines along the frame of his new Kenworth damaged and needed someone to come and repair them. The sent me out in the service truck with a big box of fittings and several rolls of air line. The truck was plumbed with single wire braid rubber line and reusable fittings. The driver was going up a steep grade on the mountain and was almost at the loader. He kept hearing this pinging sound as the glad hands from his pole trailer came untied from the bungee straps were hitting the drive shaft. All of a sudden the brakes came on and the air gauges went to zero. The trailer air lines got wrapped around the drive shaft and torn off then they grabbed the lines along the frame and ripped them off. It tore the air lines off all the valves at the rear of the truck the firewall and the treadle valve. The fittings were all still in place with the air lines tore out of them. The air lines were wound in a big ball around the drive shaft. I told the driver I think we are going to need a tow truck. With the drive shaft out I tried to pull the air lines off it by chaining it to a good anchor and using the fork lift with no success. The other option was an abrasive disc on the grinder which the labor would have taken longer than a new drive shaft would have cost. I wish I had taken pictures.

  1209. #1209camptramp2022-07-08 22:10

    "Boulder" Bill Elliot Collection

  1210. #1210camptramp2022-07-08 22:14

    Steve Sangara Collection

  1211. #1211skadill2022-07-08 23:28
  1212. #1212Hank R2022-07-09 07:41

    Saunders sent one truck over to Nothern Sask. for a short time. The test if I remember did not work out.

  1213. #1213Greatwestcam2022-07-09 11:51

    The Gold bear was to commemorate Hayes 50 years in 1972

  1214. #1214Truck Shop2022-07-09 21:12

    Corn Bashenal

  1215. #1215John C.2022-07-09 21:46

    Had to pull the stakes and tie it directly to the bunks? I'm not sure I even recognize the bark.

  1216. #1216Hank R2022-07-10 07:58
  1217. #1217skadill2022-07-10 11:41
  1218. #1218Hank R2022-07-11 07:35
  1219. #1219Hank R2022-07-12 07:27
  1220. #1220skadill2022-07-12 13:15
  1221. #1221Hank R2022-07-13 07:27
  1222. #1222skadill2022-07-13 15:35
  1223. #1223Hank R2022-07-13 22:17

    What year did Olsen shut it down ???

  1224. #1224skadill2022-07-14 00:46

    Their complete dispersal auction after 40 years was june 11/1996

  1225. #1225Hank R2022-07-14 07:31
  1226. #1226Truck Shop2022-07-14 12:56
  1227. #1227skadill2022-07-14 14:21
  1228. #1228Truck Shop2022-07-14 17:40

    I know all three of those trucks above, nice rigs. Hull is in Eugene area IIRC.

  1229. #1229Truck Shop2022-07-14 21:40
  1230. #1230Hank R2022-07-15 07:43
  1231. #1231skadill2022-07-15 21:36
  1232. #1232Truck Shop2022-07-15 21:44

    Like that red Star at the top.

  1233. #1233skadill2022-07-15 22:47

    Owned by Holbrook Dyson Logging. https://www.hdlogging.com/

  1234. #1234Hank R2022-07-16 07:37
  1235. #1235skadill2022-07-16 22:29
  1236. #1236Hank R2022-07-17 07:28
  1237. #1237Hayesno12022-07-17 13:51
  1238. #1238Truck Shop2022-07-17 19:27

    1958 model 924.

  1239. #1239skadill2022-07-17 22:43
  1240. #1240Hank R2022-07-18 07:17
  1241. #1241skadill2022-07-18 21:38
  1242. #1242Hank R2022-07-19 07:37
  1243. #1243Hayesno12022-07-19 11:41
  1244. #1244skadill2022-07-19 21:26
  1245. #1245Hank R2022-07-20 07:43
  1246. #1246Hayesno12022-07-20 16:40
  1247. #1247Hallback2022-07-20 19:18

    Someone needs this.... Check out this item on OfferUp. https://offerup.co/2Kbth6prPrb

  1248. #1248Jumbo2022-07-20 19:30

    No thank you, no more iron yard art for me.

  1249. #1249Truck Shop2022-07-20 19:33

    Oh Boy.

  1250. #1250Hallback2022-07-20 19:48

    Want me to go get it for ya?

  1251. #1251Truck Shop2022-07-20 20:05

    No I think it looks just fine where it sets. Honey she is.

  1252. #1252Truck Shop2022-07-20 20:10

    I know! One of these do it in the dirt mobile repair guy's can make a service truck out of it. Lets see a 8.3 Cummins/9 spd, Auto crane, Miller, track press, bottles, 10,000 lbs of tools and Show Time.

  1253. #1253John C.2022-07-20 20:16

    Did you forget the compressor?

  1254. #1254Truck Shop2022-07-20 21:08

    That's additional cost.

  1255. #1255petepilot2022-07-20 21:17

    found the compressor

  1256. #1256skadill2022-07-20 22:15
  1257. #1257Hank R2022-07-21 07:16
  1258. #1258Hayesno12022-07-21 13:46
  1259. #1259Hayesno12022-07-21 13:47
  1260. #1260skadill2022-07-22 00:41
  1261. #1261Hank R2022-07-22 07:14
  1262. #1262Old Doug2022-07-22 09:35

    That is a odd roll over.

  1263. #1263Hank R2022-07-22 10:05

    Crap happens.......I am sure sun was not a factor in drivers eyes...

  1264. #1264Jumbo2022-07-22 16:13

    Oops, someone caught a corner...

  1265. #1265Hayesno12022-07-22 16:38
  1266. #1266Hayesno12022-07-22 16:39
  1267. #1267Truck Shop2022-07-22 18:44

    Always want to drive with window down when fall/winter logging is going on when the fog comes in. Listen for the jake.

  1268. #1268Jumbo2022-07-22 20:18

    I dunno, I always though of a "good truck" was one with windows that were intact and rolled up, the heater worked and the wipers worked. Now, I know the more modern trucks (after 1972) had other amenities, but in my younger years, it was much simpler. I don't mind rolling down the window for a bit, but I have grown used to creature comfort. And yes, that probably labels me as a big wussy. But, I don't care anymore.

  1269. #1269skadill2022-07-22 22:16
  1270. #1270Hank R2022-07-23 07:33
  1271. #1271skadill2022-07-23 22:00
  1272. #1272Hayesno12022-07-24 02:10
  1273. #1273Truck Shop2022-07-24 07:25

    I was referring to someone in their pickup having the surprise of a log truck suddenly appearing in the fog.

  1274. #1274Greatwestcam2022-07-24 10:57

    Hank, really enjoy the Saunders pics of Kemano haul, I heard lots of stories of things that happened there. keep them coming.

  1275. #1275Hank R2022-07-24 12:13

    Thanks Greatwestcam, not to many left.

  1276. #1276skadill2022-07-24 21:50
  1277. #1277skadill2022-07-24 21:52
  1278. #1278Hank R2022-07-25 07:30
  1279. #1279Truck Shop2022-07-25 18:18
  1280. #1280skadill2022-07-25 21:40
  1281. #1281skadill2022-07-25 21:43
  1282. #1282Hank R2022-07-26 07:38
  1283. #1283Hank R2022-07-26 15:05

    I am almost out of Saunders pictures, I never heard any stories but my guess they were hard on iron.... You could add to that thought please...

  1284. #1284skadill2022-07-26 22:36
  1285. #1285skadill2022-07-26 22:38
  1286. #1286Hank R2022-07-27 07:28
  1287. #1287Old Doug2022-07-27 09:03

    I over heard 2 loggers talking about how many trucks they had turned over it made me wonder how they could aford insurance or the repair bills ? I was at the scrap yard one day standing in the pay line one of the guys in front of me ask the other did you get another pickup? He said yes scrapping sure was hard on pickups . I told them i needed to find another one . One of them ask how long have you been had that one i told them a little over 20 years .

  1288. #1288skadill2022-07-27 22:55
  1289. #1289skadill2022-07-27 22:57
  1290. #1290Hank R2022-07-28 07:26

    Pulling the pin end of the job.

  1291. #1291John C.2022-07-28 11:56

    I hope not on the photos.

  1292. #1292Hank R2022-07-28 12:34

    Sad but only a few more and they are of a few trucks sitting in Campbell river beside the road. then a some other ones, till Wed then down for the count for a few day eye problems

  1293. #1293John C.2022-07-28 12:39

    I certainly hope the eye problems are solved quickly. Good Luck and thanks for what you have done so far.

  1294. #1294Hank R2022-07-28 13:27

    These last 2 I can not remember if I had posted them. But I knew 2 friends in this Class and this was Roy's Saunders first new Hayes. He was a friend of the Class instructor and brought it down for everyone to see.

  1295. #1295dust eater2022-07-28 21:19

    good luck with the eyes Hank and thanks for all the posts so far I've really enjoyed this thread so far

  1296. #1296Truck Shop2022-07-28 21:55

    Hope the eye problem clears up, and thanks for posting photos on Any Brand Log Trucks. All great photos Hank.

  1297. #1297Truck Shop2022-07-28 21:56
  1298. #1298skadill2022-07-28 23:46
  1299. #1299skadill2022-07-28 23:49
  1300. #1300Hank R2022-07-29 07:38
  1301. #1301skadill2022-07-29 22:22
  1302. #1302skadill2022-07-29 22:25
  1303. #1303Hank R2022-07-30 07:35
  1304. #1304John C.2022-07-30 11:14

    I have always been amazed at the different color schemes on logging trucks. I've never worked for a truck dealer so wonder where those designs and color combinations come from? Are they done at the factory or at the dealer? I know there used to be some independent painters but never heard of any that advertised their skills. Given all the regulations placed on paint booths and the cost of supplies, its a wonder that they all aren't just one color from the factory.

  1305. #1305Hank R2022-07-30 11:18

    Not sure but J.S. Cook , here ordered a new KW and was getting it wrapped in some fancy stuff.

  1306. #1306Truck Shop2022-07-30 11:21

    KW had two main graphics for paint schemes for years. Heiser in Seattle did a lot of after dealer painting. But now it's gone to vinyl stripes.

  1307. #1307Jumbo2022-07-30 12:53

    Here in Washington locally, King and Pierce Counties both quit having "fleet" colors done about 10 years ago, they just take next one "off the shelf color schemes." According to the retired Pierce County wrench I know, that saved them close to $5000 per truck. (10 or so years ago.) If you have the inclination and the money, factories will paint anything for you. Drive by KW's delivery yard in Renton and you will see some very cool units and some gawd awful units. There is no accounting for artistic taste.

  1308. #1308mekanik2022-07-30 13:06

    When I started wrenching on trucks in 1980 we had a sign painter that would come in and hand paint the logos and names on the doors.

  1309. #1309Truck Shop2022-07-30 13:46

    One of the oddities I performed years ago {mainly in high school} freehand sign lettering with my dad in his sign shop. I did it for years after he died until 1992. Vinyl signs about put a total end to the business. It just wasn't worth the cost of the 1 Shot lettering enamel and the cost of the lettering Quills/brushes. Most of the quills I had were left overs from the shop and hand tied Russian Mink. You can't buy quills like that today. If you could it would cost a fortune/sort of. My dads forte was gold leaf-for a short time after WWII he gold leafed new fire trucks. There are several tricks to do a quality 24 carat gold leaf job. Not something for the average sign painter.

  1310. #1310Jumbo2022-07-30 13:58

    I watched a fellow once freehanding pinstripes, now I suppose that is pretty straight forward, I don't know. But, I could never imagine how steady he was. It was pretty darned amazing. To freehand lettering is beyond comprehension.

  1311. #1311Truck Shop2022-07-30 18:45

    One of the best freehand lettering and pinstripe guys plus nationally famous for air brush murals was Pomeroy in Yakima Wa. He was one of the top van muralist back in the 70's. He always said he did his best work after he smoked a bowel. Pin stripping brushes are very unique to hold a lot of paint. Mist experienced modify there own.

  1312. #1312Truck Shop2022-07-30 21:12

    Winton Lumber Co. Martell California.

  1313. #1313skadill2022-07-30 21:53
  1314. #1314skadill2022-07-30 21:57
  1315. #1315Hank R2022-07-31 07:49

    Pacific P 16 Gold River ,was a hot day when the boys had problems.

  1316. #1316Hank R2022-07-31 07:56

    With out a shop the used a I beam and come a long to remove the Planarty hub

  1317. #1317Truck Shop2022-07-31 13:52

    I've done those, made a carriage to fit a floor jack with a ratchet strap to hold it. Obnoxious thing to get ahold of.

  1318. #1318Truck Shop2022-07-31 21:21

    One is a shovel nose KW-pre 1941. The other a 951 Diamond T

  1319. #1319skadill2022-07-31 21:49
  1320. #1320skadill2022-07-31 21:51
  1321. #1321skadill2022-08-01 22:54
  1322. #1322skadill2022-08-01 22:56
  1323. #1323Truck Shop2022-08-02 07:17

    From post 1320, and what it looks like now with no logging gear.

  1324. #1324skadill2022-08-02 21:58
  1325. #1325skadill2022-08-03 22:10
  1326. #1326skadill2022-08-04 21:58

    same short truck ,years apart. All 'were' local trucks here.

  1327. #1327skadill2022-08-04 22:00
  1328. #1328skadill2022-08-06 00:10
  1329. #1329skadill2022-08-06 00:12

    1957-1959 Moresby,Q 1957-1959 Moresby,Queen Charlotte Islands.Taken by my neighbor Roy Carey, where i grew up years ago..

  1330. #1330Hank R2022-08-06 07:36
  1331. #1331Greatwestcam2022-08-06 12:02

    I will try to quote some of the stories I was told by a driver and loader operator. The loaded trucks pup trailer would wonder side to side so you had to pull deep into the pullouts when clearing for them and hope it was enough not to get hit, that was one of the reasons so many loads were lost along the haul road. It was all HDX trucks at first and with the 91 diffs, they would get 3 or 4 months out of those diffs, a barge would come in once a month with 50 tires, 50 rims and several diffs. They had lots of porcupines there and when they were running the bias ply tires you tried to avoid them, then they got the Michelins on the steers that the quills didn't harm so then you aimed for them to save the drive tires. They had a contracture do the tires there. When the Kenworths came with the turbo 12's and 121 diffs they didn't loose to many diffs with them. The flare on the tips of the stakes were to aid in loading at the lake where lifted out the loads, sometimes these trucks were getting loads from the loaders doing right of way and the operators said once you got to the top of the stakes then you could start building a good load. just a few of the stories.

  1332. #1332Hank R2022-08-06 17:55

    I was told that Roy Saunders placed the largest single order for Hayes HDX trucks ever 50 in one order not sure where they all went.

  1333. #1333skadill2022-08-06 21:49
  1334. #1334skadill2022-08-06 21:51
  1335. #1335Hank R2022-08-07 07:38
  1336. #1336Truck Shop2022-08-07 21:41

    North Bend, Wa. 1943.

  1337. #1337Jumbo2022-08-07 22:06

    First four cuts of the same tree. It came off the Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie. The stump was pointed out to me in 1973, only about 200 feet from the road headed up Granite Creek.

  1338. #1338skadill2022-08-07 23:02
  1339. #1339skadill2022-08-07 23:05
  1340. #1340Hank R2022-08-08 07:48

    In late April 2014 at Gold River, this 850 KW had just come out of shop after a total rebuilt and this was the first load that it hauled.

  1341. #1341skadill2022-08-08 22:09
  1342. #1342skadill2022-08-08 22:11
  1343. #1343Hank R2022-08-09 07:29
  1344. #1344Hank R2022-08-10 06:59
  1345. #1345Truck Shop2022-08-10 07:43

    Funny a mack with pacCar door.

  1346. #1346skadill2022-08-10 22:33

    Ran this short truck the last few days up in the Coquihalla Highway Summit area. Got 3 of loads of cedar tomorrow elsewhere for it. Ran this short truck

  1347. #1347Hank R2022-08-11 07:24
  1348. #1348Hank R2022-08-12 07:42

    Pacific P 12 in the shop getting some love.

  1349. #1349skadill2022-08-12 21:26
  1350. #1350skadill2022-08-12 21:28
  1351. #1351Truck Shop2022-08-12 22:16

    Skadill, the middle photo of the orange KW-looks like a 849, is that one rebuilt or was it new?

  1352. #1352Hank R2022-08-13 07:23
  1353. #1353skadill2022-08-13 22:01
  1354. #1354skadill2022-08-13 22:03
  1355. #1355skadill2022-08-14 23:18
  1356. #1356skadill2022-08-14 23:43
  1357. #1357Hank R2022-08-15 07:55
  1358. #1358Hayesno12022-08-15 12:07
  1359. #1359Hayesno12022-08-15 12:29

    I am going to Powell River today. I wonder if anyone knows if there are any off highway still going strong there. And I wonder if Kip Brown is still active?

  1360. #1360Hank R2022-08-15 15:42

    Last month or so I heard the Pulp mill was closing,

  1361. #1361Hayesno12022-08-15 18:38

    Sad to hear that.

  1362. #1362skadill2022-08-15 21:57

    Took the photo of the short Quad truck today

  1363. #1363skadill2022-08-15 22:02
  1364. #1364Hayesno12022-08-15 23:43
  1365. #1365Hank R2022-08-16 07:36
  1366. #1366camptramp2022-08-17 00:16

    That HDX Hayes looks like the Timberwest HBO #40-128 originally a BCFP Caycuse Div. Log Truck #6-251

  1367. #1367Hank R2022-08-17 07:52
  1368. #1368skadill2022-08-17 22:32
  1369. #1369Hank R2022-08-18 07:19
  1370. #1370Hank R2022-08-18 11:41

    First picture is my Mom in 62 or 63?

  1371. #1371Truck Shop2022-08-18 19:14

    Great photos-The golden days.

  1372. #1372Hayesno12022-08-18 19:14
  1373. #1373Truck Shop2022-08-18 19:30

    Nice working photos!

  1374. #1374Former Wrench2022-08-18 20:03

    On Tues. while passing through Elma I spotted a dirty, white KW. It was hauling a nice 3-log load. A pair of 4 footers made up the bottom with a 5 footer on top. Looker like old times.

  1375. #1375Hank R2022-08-19 07:27
  1376. #1376skadill2022-08-19 22:18
  1377. #1377skadill2022-08-19 22:20
  1378. #1378skadill2022-08-20 22:43
  1379. #1379skadill2022-08-20 22:45
  1380. #1380Truck Shop2022-08-23 21:24

    1937 Ford.

  1381. #1381skadill2022-08-24 00:26
  1382. #1382skadill2022-08-24 00:27
  1383. #1383skadill2022-08-24 22:52
  1384. #1384skadill2022-08-24 22:55
  1385. #1385skadill2022-08-25 22:18

    Alaska Pine Co. Moresby 1958,my old neighbor took these

  1386. #1386skadill2022-08-25 22:19
  1387. #1387camptramp2022-08-26 00:01

    A good "Old Burger Tower" . God those were a work house to get up and down . My best view of the one at Port Renfrew , was the back end of it going on the barge heading back to town !

  1388. #1388skadill2022-08-26 21:55
  1389. #1389skadill2022-08-27 21:50
  1390. #1390skadill2022-08-27 21:51
  1391. #1391skadill2022-08-29 22:26
  1392. #1392skadill2022-08-29 22:30
  1393. #1393skadill2022-08-31 22:38
  1394. #1394skadill2022-08-31 22:39
  1395. #1395skadill2022-09-02 22:03
  1396. #1396skadill2022-09-03 22:52
  1397. #1397skadill2022-09-03 22:54
  1398. #1398Hayesno12022-09-04 12:51

    That is Holberg

  1399. #1399Hayesno12022-09-04 15:08
  1400. #1400skadill2022-09-06 00:01
  1401. #1401skadill2022-09-06 22:16
  1402. #1402Truck Shop2022-09-08 21:40
  1403. #1403Jumbo2022-09-08 21:45

    Nice load, when and where in Oregon? Headed to Hull Oakes?

  1404. #1404Truck Shop2022-09-08 21:54

    That's a older photo, don't know.

  1405. #1405skadill2022-09-08 22:41
  1406. #1406camptramp2022-09-08 23:32

    Nice truck .

  1407. #1407camptramp2022-09-08 23:34

    Larry Child's Hayes , Gordy Neva's Pacific .

  1408. #1408skadill2022-09-09 01:14

    yes, was at both their places on the same day for visits and photos, and seeing the old photo albums, and taking photos of Larrys photos out of his album.

  1409. #1409Essayons2022-09-09 21:10

    What’s the purpose of the chain to the fender on the yellow truck?

  1410. #1410camptramp2022-09-09 22:45

    There is a good chance one of the mounts holding fender in place is cracked or broken , and the driver has used a chain to hold fender up so it doe's not rub on tire .

  1411. #1411skadill2022-09-10 13:08
  1412. #1412Essayons2022-09-10 14:12

    Good enough, thank you

  1413. #1413skadill2022-09-12 23:34
  1414. #1414skadill2022-09-14 21:54
  1415. #1415Truck Shop2022-09-14 21:59

    What's the old Iron Nose Pete to the left?

  1416. #1416Hayesno12022-09-15 15:20

    It is an old 350 model from early 50’s

  1417. #1417Truck Shop2022-09-15 18:13

    I realize that- Any photos of it.

  1418. #1418Truck Shop2022-09-16 20:20

    David Hull-Eugene Ore.

  1419. #1419Alusium2022-09-16 22:20

    what’s on the low boy?

  1420. #1420skadill2022-09-16 23:45
  1421. #1421Truck Shop2022-09-17 07:27

    IIRC a 40's jail bar Ford.

  1422. #1422Chopper952022-09-17 21:22

    That C500 is too cool, saw it on your video and was instantly in love with it. Would love to have a self loader like that (besides trying to turn around with the twins) Did realize you had a good photo of it posted up; looking forward to more!

  1423. #1423skadill2022-09-17 22:15
  1424. #1424Chopper952022-09-19 20:30

    Was hoping some of our Canadian members on here could enlighten me about this self loading mule train set up. I know the loader is a Vanguard brand obviously on a tri drive T800, but what brand or style of log trailer would this possibly be? It appears to be a fixed triple axle pup with no steering (which I find hard to believe), and of course the stinger is collapsible like a regular long logger pole trailer so the loader can reach the trailer. I am basically looking for an identical set up here in the States, drop axle or two instead of tri drive, with a front mounted loader near the cab instead of the rear frame. I really like how the loader stores itself with the grapple and stick folding up nicely. I also assume the trailer would load onto the back of the truck as well even though it isnt pictured? Any info much appreciated on this set up or American options as well where I could load the pup with a front mount loader not having the trailer detached / offset from the truck. Or just import a truck and trailer such as this I guess. All we haul is Lodge Pole Pine (usually dead beetle kill), occasional Spruce / Fur, some quaking Aspen, and then a lot of Ponderosa Pine as well (green and heavier than dog #$%*) almost all of it is firewood. Trees are very consistent small diameter unless you get into big Pondo patch, have cut a few 30-36"+ over the years but rare. Cheers Video of truck working on Youtube

  1425. #1425skadill2022-09-19 22:19
  1426. #1426Hank R2022-09-19 22:48

    My thought is that the reach was pushed all the way through the trailer. to make it easier to load the shorts, as one can see the reach behind trailer as that is not normally a short log trailer.

  1427. #1427camptramp2022-09-19 23:31

    I could be wrong , but it looks like the trailer reach telescopes to allow operator to load the trailer first . It looks like the bunks are set up to balance the logs on the trailer . With the trailer loaded the truck pulls ahead extending the reach , then loads the truck . As with any tri drive tridem trailer there would be more tire wear on back axle . I don't see any rider bars for the trailer to sit on , so I assume the trailer is "dragged" back to the loading site .

  1428. #1428Chopper952022-09-20 00:12

    HankR & Camptramp - All correct; trailer is loaded first and then truck is pulled up to fully extend reach. Can kind of catch a glimpse of it in the video fully extended as truck is unloading first, but never a full picture of it or truck backing up, collapsing it. I'm used to seeing the steerable triple or quad pup trailers for the BC / Alberta guys, like below. And they load up afterwards with gantry or log loader / shovel. So the trailer above, fixed axles with no steering, seems rather odd but not impossible obviously. Working in New Zealand, almost every single truck was a twin steer mule train with a quad trailer. Very rare to see a long logger "stems" truck or a self loader of any sort. Simply spin the front axle around on the pup while loader has it in the air and it gets set on the truck. Only self loaders I've been around in the US are the standard 5 axle long logger that folds / pulls up on to the rear of the truck to ride.

  1429. #1429Chopper952022-09-20 01:27

    What's that song, if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough? Answer is right in front of you sometimes .... what is a tridem pole trailer with another set of bunks? Pole trailer reach, triple axle, no steering... walks like a duck and sounds like a duck, might be a duck... Wonder how bad it scrubs when turning or booger to back up? I'm sure you could get it on the truck and have legal overhang...maybe...

  1430. #1430Truck Shop2022-09-20 07:16

    It would scrub no worse than the three axle trailers we run with 60" spread, refer trailers. Center axle pivots front and rear scrub. The fact it's used for logging it has the advantage of being in dirt part of the time. Where ours are on asphalt all the time, a zero turn is hard on tires.

  1431. #1431Chopper952022-09-20 10:58

    Figured plenty of guys are running around with 3 axle lowboys no problem, should be fine probably. Would like to think somebody could rig up the rear axle to be steerable or air lift if truly needed as well.

  1432. #1432Doug19662022-09-20 12:52

    You need to check out Pro Fab trailers web site. This something new they are building, and they make Vanguard cranes too.

  1433. #143392U 34062022-09-20 14:29

    Most of those old tridem pole trailers were just solid mounted walking beams. Only ever seen 1 or 2 that were air ride. Tire wear isn't really much of a concern, usually get a rock through the sidewall before they're worn out anyways.

  1434. #143449pacific2022-09-20 23:22

    Chopper95. Here’s a picture off pro fabs face book page. I think this is the rig out that truck has.

  1435. #143592U 34062022-09-21 01:11

    That's an interesting setup. Don't see many self-loaders up in the interior, or even see many 7 axle short loggers either for that matter. All tridrives and quads or super b's it seems.

  1436. #1436Hank R2022-09-21 07:51

    Our mill here here has been all shorts for 4 or 5 years . mots are a tri drive truck and a 4 axle pup

  1437. #1437Truck Shop2022-09-21 18:25
  1438. #1438Bumpsteer2022-09-21 20:57

    Michigan special. All hardwood. Ed

  1439. #1439skadill2022-09-21 21:47
  1440. #1440Camshawn2022-09-21 21:59

    One caught in the wild this morning. Cam

  1441. #1441Hank R2022-09-21 22:34

    Someone was at Ross's place.

  1442. #144292U 34062022-09-22 14:20

    That's alotta wheels! What can you gross with that setup?

  1443. #1443Hayesno12022-09-22 14:52

    Sorry no, I have only a few pictures of 350 Pete wrecker I shot in the 80´s

  1444. #1444Bumpsteer2022-09-22 20:12

    I knew someone would ask....hopefully colson will see this, he'll know. Ed

  1445. #1445Truck Shop2022-09-22 20:49

    11 axles--190,000 GVW depending on bridge. Guessing.

  1446. #1446colson042022-09-23 07:07

    That truck can gross 164,000 lbs according to Michigan weight laws. 18,000 on front axle, 13,000 pounds each on the next 6 axles, the tandem group on the pup can scale 32,000 pounds, and each of the rear 2 axles on the pup can scale 18,000 pounds each. Michigan allows less gross weight per axle than most states, but does allow for more axles. All truck configurations are restricted to a maximum 11 axles and 164,000 pounds total gross. Those log trucks like @Bumpsteer posted are real common in certain parts of Michigan since they can load themselves in a remote spot in the woods, and then haul to whatever mill is buying. I don't see them too often in my area though as we don't have much pulp wood. I see a lot of smaller log trucks hauling hardwood logs for lumber though.

  1447. #1447Truck Shop2022-09-23 07:10

    Hardly worth the axles.

  1448. #1448colson042022-09-23 07:45

    The theory is you're moving a little more than two 80,000 pound trucks worth of payload with one truck. They claim it helps the roads by having less weight per axle and less trucks overall. I dunno. It's just how they have it set up since before I was born. Edit: Michigan enacted their current weight laws in 1967 restricting trucks to a maximum GVW of 164,000 pounds on a maximum 11 axles, properly spaced.

  1449. #144992U 34062022-09-23 08:42

    That hardwood's gotta be heavy too.

  1450. #1450colson042022-09-23 13:39

    It is, there just isn't as much commercial logging in my area to justify the bigger trucks. I might only see one truck with logs a week, where a couple hours north you would see them daily.

  1451. #1451skadill2022-09-23 22:23
  1452. #1452skadill2022-09-25 21:45
  1453. #1453skadill2022-09-28 19:31
  1454. #1454Hank R2022-09-30 11:10
  1455. #1455JPV2022-09-30 11:28

    What engine is in the green truck with the twin steer axles? I don't recognize the valve covers, guessing a Cummins.

  1456. #1456bccat2022-09-30 12:03

    Mack?

  1457. #145792U 34062022-09-30 17:12

    I think its a Mack engine. Watched a video or read up on it a while back.

  1458. #1458skadill2022-09-30 23:22

    It is a Mack, apparently crazy expensive one to rebuild

  1459. #1459skadill2022-09-30 23:31
  1460. #1460kshansen2022-10-01 10:38

    I pretty sure it's a Mack E-9 not sure but somewhere I believe I heard that it was actually a Scania engine used by Mack. Years ago we had two Superliners with that engine. First one was going strong until a pick-up pulling a trailer crossed the centerline and hit the Mack head on. Hard enough to bend the frame crossmembers of the Mack. As you can imagine the pick-up driver did not survive. The second Superliner a 1993 RW713 was bought to replace it and up till a year ago was still being run hauling heavy equipment and hauling road materials over the road. As of a couple days ago I learned it was just parked when driver retired and has been sitting unused.

  1461. #1461skadill2022-10-01 22:20
  1462. #1462skadill2022-10-04 22:30
  1463. #1463skadill2022-10-06 23:08
  1464. #1464skadill2022-10-08 21:47
  1465. #1465skadill2022-10-10 22:43
  1466. #1466camptramp2022-10-10 23:00

    BCFP Renfrew Div . Winter use . #208 HDX Hayes

  1467. #1467camptramp2022-10-10 23:02

    BCFP Renfrew Div. Summer use . #208 HDX Hayes .

  1468. #1468camptramp2022-10-11 00:56
  1469. #1469Tones2022-10-11 14:48

    Some trailers to perve at http://www.elph.com.au/trailers/logging/easyloader.php

  1470. #147092U 34062022-10-11 17:12

    Interesting how they fold the bunks down, rather than the stakes. What raises/lowers them?

  1471. #1471Tones2022-10-11 18:05

    pneumatic rams. Pneumatic ratchets are popular here as well for load restraint. As the logs settle they tighten automatically.

  1472. #147292U 34062022-10-11 19:22

    That's pretty trick!

  1473. #1473Hallback2022-10-11 21:09

    What is it?

  1474. #1474Birken Vogt2022-10-11 21:15

    Screens and spreads rock in front of the drives?

  1475. #1475camptramp2022-10-11 23:01

    The #208 HDX Hayes hauled logs at Caycuse for a good many years . When it was retired from the log haul , it was repurposed for carrying a water tank for fire protection in summer and swapped over to a "sand truck" for Winter months . Any decent gravel can be poured into the box with a front end loader a grade shovel or excavator . The screens are "peaked " to allow finer sand and gravel to pass through into box and larger rocks to roll off to the side . The exhaust is directed through the box to keep it warm , the floor of the box is divided in the center and is sloped to the front to direct the sand out of a small opening on each side on to spinning disc's on each side spreading sand on road bed in front of truck "drivers" . The box can be lifted with a ram on the rear to control the amount of sand passing through the spinner's . With good sandy material it works very well . After a snow fall and roads were plowed , a dusting of sand got the logging trucks mobile again .

  1476. #1476skadill2022-10-12 22:15
  1477. #1477Tugger22022-10-12 22:55

    Pepsi Pete and his dog on the red Kenworth since passed away . Hauled about 3000 timber piles for for us back in 2010. ill have to dig up his business card if i can ,it was a good read

  1478. #1478camptramp2022-10-13 01:05

    Timberwest HBO Div.

  1479. #1479Truck Shop2022-10-13 21:06
  1480. #1480camptramp2022-10-13 21:58

    M&B lowbed with Carley Logging's new 7280 Grapple Yarder on board , parked at BCFP Renfrew Div. Gordon River Shop over night .

  1481. #1481camptramp2022-10-15 00:24
  1482. #1482camptramp2022-10-15 00:27
  1483. #1483skadill2022-10-15 22:50
  1484. #1484camptramp2022-10-15 23:46
  1485. #1485camptramp2022-10-15 23:50
  1486. #1486camptramp2022-10-16 22:41
  1487. #1487skadill2022-10-17 21:44
  1488. #1488camptramp2022-10-18 23:15
  1489. #1489Truck Shop2022-10-19 21:35

    This photo was taken on Vancouver Island in the 50's, do any of you recognize it?

  1490. #1490John C.2022-10-19 21:43

    Not muck of a stake to hold that load in place.

  1491. #1491Truck Shop2022-10-19 21:46

    Looks a little on the short side don't it.

  1492. #1492Hallback2022-10-19 22:27

    And loaded with a line shovel at that!

  1493. #1493skadill2022-10-19 23:12
  1494. #1494Jumbo2022-10-19 23:46

    They are called "Seattle stakes" (at least the style) most were made by Pacific Car and Foundry in Renton as a replacement for cheese blocks. They were a vast improvement in getting loads out and keeping loads on the truck. Even in the '60s you would still see them on trucks. With big wood, (3-5 log loads) you didn't need the tall stakes.

  1495. #1495camptramp2022-10-20 00:15

    That's quite a load on that old bone shaker , not sure what's keeping the third log up on the drivers side in place . The truck is old enough that it could have been loaded by a "Heal Boom" on a "Wooden Spar Tree" . The loader knew his stuff .

  1496. #1496camptramp2022-10-20 00:29

    A couple of loaded HDX Hayes pulling loads up the adverse grade from Loop Creek to the top of "Jack Shaft Summit" on the Gordon River M/L

  1497. #1497skadill2022-10-21 22:22
  1498. #1498camptramp2022-10-23 00:14
  1499. #1499camptramp2022-10-23 16:42

    Brent Roland photo HDX Hayes logging truck , Kenworth log stacker BCFP Renfrew Div.

  1500. #150092U 34062022-10-23 16:54

    Do video games count?

  1501. #1501skadill2022-10-23 22:05
  1502. #1502camptramp2022-10-23 22:42

    The Pacific's are interesting , they look like they have self loading trailers . But they don't have peload legs under the front bunks .

  1503. #1503camptramp2022-10-25 23:13

    Bob James photo

  1504. #150492U 34062022-10-25 23:49

    Ouch!

  1505. #1505skadill2022-10-26 19:52
  1506. #1506Truck Shop2022-10-28 19:32
  1507. #1507Truck Shop2022-10-28 19:40

    That Autocar with that style cab/windshield, fenders would be post war 46 to 49 IMO. DC-100-D model I think.

  1508. #1508skadill2022-10-30 00:56
  1509. #1509Ali.ALMansoori2022-10-30 06:59

    Hi I need to buy this trucks if it’s still available would you kindly let me know if for sale or you can give me the owner details thanks [email protected]

  1510. #1510Ali.ALMansoori2022-10-30 07:04

    I’m interested for this truck please let me if it’s still available and for sale [email protected]

  1511. #1511Truck Shop2022-10-30 07:40

    You might get some info in this thread because the 849 was popular in logging use in Canada. But don't get in a hurry for a reply, someone might be along in the next 24 hrs to reply. But most of these photos are old.

  1512. #1512Ali.ALMansoori2022-10-30 09:50

    Hi I would like to buy the same kenworth trucks even if there any other similar size will be good to have. I need the axels or any old kenworth 849 best regards [email protected]

  1513. #1513Hallback2022-10-30 09:56

    Ali, is your axhole really wallered out? Does the shaft not fit in there like it once did? Sounds like your hole needs rebushed?

  1514. #1514Ali.ALMansoori2022-10-30 10:58

    Appreciated your reply- thank so much hope to get update shortly.

  1515. #1515Oxbow2022-10-30 18:20
  1516. #1516camptramp2022-10-30 23:29
  1517. #1517camptramp2022-10-30 23:38

    Dale Weaver's Mack leased to Timberwest HBO

  1518. #1518camptramp2022-10-30 23:41

    Timberwest HBO Div.

  1519. #1519skadill2022-10-31 22:00
  1520. #1520Hallback2022-11-01 22:32

    A buddy's new T880 that he gets tomorrow

  1521. #152192U 34062022-11-01 23:01

    Why so many axles on the truck and only a tandem trailer?

  1522. #1522camptramp2022-11-01 23:17

    Just a wild guess , but when hauling with "Off Highway " trucks , we use to load them heavier on the truck than the trailer . We had more breaking on the truck than the trailer with "Retarters and Jake Brakes" plus the usual brakes going down steep hills . If we had adverse grade to pull up , we had better traction . With the extra axles on the T880 , the driver could load heavy on the truck for traveling on off highway roads to have the same effect . Then when he entered the public roads , put the extra axles down and be loaded to a legal weight .

  1523. #1523camptramp2022-11-01 23:24
  1524. #1524camptramp2022-11-01 23:31
  1525. #1525Hallback2022-11-01 23:32

    Correct Camp!

  1526. #1526Hallback2022-11-01 23:33

    Easier to pack weight than drag it.

  1527. #152792U 34062022-11-01 23:38

    Makes sense. I've always seen it the other way around out here. Tandem trucks with tridem pole trailers were far more common than tridrive trucks with a tandem trailers.

  1528. #152892U 34062022-11-01 23:40

    Those "wobbly wheels" still legal in BC? I'd heard rumours back in the early 2000s that they were going to be phasing them out around 2010 or so.

  1529. #1529camptramp2022-11-02 22:32
  1530. #1530camptramp2022-11-02 22:44
  1531. #1531skadill2022-11-03 00:33
  1532. #1532camptramp2022-11-03 22:24

    BCFP Renfrew Div. Contractor A&L Trucking's trucks

  1533. #1533camptramp2022-11-03 22:29

    BCFP Renfrew Div. Contractor Bill Neil's HDX Hayes and 849 Kenworth

  1534. #1534skadill2022-11-04 22:39

    1958 Morseby, Queen Charlotte Island, Alaska Pine Co. Guy with Cigarette is Roy Carey.He took these pics(not that one) He was my neighbor for my growing up years. Learned lots from him. A rough ,tough trucker.

  1535. #1535camptramp2022-11-04 23:43

    BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-239 HDX Hayes View attachment 271737 View attachment 271738 View attachment 271739

  1536. #1536camptramp2022-11-04 23:48

    BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-239 HDX Hayes

  1537. #1537camptramp2022-11-04 23:53

    BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-239 HDX Hayes

  1538. #1538camptramp2022-11-05 23:02

    BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-239 HDX Hayes

  1539. #1539camptramp2022-11-05 23:07

    Art Nickerson photo BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-239 HDX Hayes several years after mishap .

  1540. #1540camptramp2022-11-05 23:16

    BCFP Renfrew Div. #221 HDX Hayes

  1541. #1541camptramp2022-11-06 22:27

    BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-264 P16 Pacific

  1542. #1542camptramp2022-11-06 22:32

    BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-263 P16 Pacific Lowbeding #319 a TL15 Trakloader set up for "Yarding" small corners .

  1543. #1543Hallback2022-11-07 07:17

    You will never again see the day of large outfits like that. If it was a profitable venture then large corporations would be in it.

  1544. #1544Truck Shop2022-11-07 17:33

    Steve told me that same thing--and that was 25 years ago.

  1545. #1545Jumbo2022-11-07 17:55

    10 years ago, Hancock (in regards to the White River Tree Farm) said their goal was to have one contractor go broke every month. If nobody wen broke, the margins were too "good." If two went broke, the margins were too tight. That is nothing but evil as business practices go. But, just what does one expect from corporate America.

  1546. #1546Truck Shop2022-11-07 18:14

    The same can be said in the OTR freight business--won't be long and owner operators will be a thing of the past. If a company owns 60 trucks it's best to figure 6 are in the shop at all times-A OO has his go upside down with big payments-real tough to make it with one truck. It takes minimum of 20 to keep your head above water and even then it's bad odd's.

  1547. #1547Hallback2022-11-07 18:46

    Those worthless maggots did a very good job of trying to break me. The only ones that stay afloat for them are ones that are padding their palms

  1548. #1548camptramp2022-11-08 00:33

    BCFP Renfrew Div. #206 HDX Hayes fall 1967 being used to push Hayes preloader trucks pulling "Long Tom" water tanks up hills to fight a "slash fire that had gotten out of control .

  1549. #1549camptramp2022-11-08 00:37

    BCFP Caycues Div. Truck sheds and trailer reload at Caycues Comp .

  1550. #1550camptramp2022-11-08 00:42

    BCFP Renfrew Div. Moving an American 797 for Fiddick Logging at Port Renfrew 1984-85 .

  1551. #1551skadill2022-11-08 21:56
  1552. #1552camptramp2022-11-09 00:10

    BCFP Renfrew Div.

  1553. #1553camptramp2022-11-09 22:59

    BGFP Renfrew Div. #6-237 HDX Hayes

  1554. #1554skadill2022-11-10 22:48
  1555. #1555skadill2022-11-10 22:53
  1556. #1556camptramp2022-11-10 23:01

    BCFP Renfrew Div. Honeymoon Bay DLS .

  1557. #1557camptramp2022-11-10 23:05

    BCFP Renfrew Div. Honeymoon Bay DLS

  1558. #1558Birken Vogt2022-11-11 00:25

    How well does the trailer track/steer on one of those things with the single pup/dolly axle in the middle?

  1559. #1559camptramp2022-11-11 22:42

    The single axle your looking at is called a "Jeep" in our area . The front Bunk sits on it , under the front Bunk there is a 5th wheel coupling . Behind the Jeep axle is a pintle hitch to a "Pole Trailer" with a compensator which helps the trailer track . Over all the combination of axle's tracks very well .

  1560. #1560camptramp2022-11-11 22:48

    BCFP Renfrew Div.

  1561. #1561DCT2022-11-12 20:21

    The green 73’ Kenworth wasmy dads 2nd truck in about 1986, I’m the little kid and my dads standing on the truck and his best friend and driver on the loader. The gold Pete he had for a couple yrs in the mid 80’s. The red Pete was his first new truck in 89’ he set it up as a long logger then a self loader in 90’ for a few yrs. The yellow 96’ Kenworth was his last new truck and we followed it through the factory, 3406e 550hp. 18spd, single speeds on hendrickson air ride and 96’ Whitlog gear.

  1562. #1562DCT2022-11-12 20:22

    I still have the red Pete in my collection but it’s got a Columbia dump box on it now.

  1563. #1563Truck Shop2022-11-12 20:48

    I like that #6--I have a weak spot for those.

  1564. #1564skadill2022-11-12 22:14
  1565. #1565DCT2022-11-12 22:49

    I don’t blame you they’re great trucks, I know he bought that truck originally from Mike Brown in Rein,Oregon and they became life long friends, he also had a 69’ for about 35yrs I will try to find a pic of to post.

  1566. #1566camptramp2022-11-14 00:38

    BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-263 P16 with lowbed hauling Malloch & Moseley Madill Grapple Yarder .

  1567. #1567camptramp2022-11-14 00:42

    BCFP Renfrew Div. Bill Neil of Neil Contracting with his Kenworth on a dreary rainy day .

  1568. #1568camptramp2022-11-14 23:55

    BCFP Renfrew Div. Bill Neil loaded off HC Spur 14

  1569. #1569camptramp2022-11-15 00:15

    BCFP Renfrew Div. #222 HDX Hayes

  1570. #1570skadill2022-11-15 01:13
  1571. #1571John C.2022-11-15 09:53

    I hate seeing vegetation growing through old machines. It made lots of money in its time to support businesses and people and it gets left to sit and rot away. Better that it finds the scrap yard than this fate.

  1572. #157264Pacific2022-11-15 10:29

    The good news is that particular truck is sitting in a shop undergoing a restoration. I was once told years ago that it is one of the first P500S models built but I've never thought to look into it until now...

  1573. #1573colson042022-11-15 15:59

    What's amazing is how quickly some vegetation can grow up around stuff. We parked a plow we rarely use off in the weeds one year beside our storage shed. Bigger equipment needed the shed space. We go to hook up to it a couple years later and there's mulberry saplings growing up through it. Mulberry, black cherry, tulip poplar, all grow quite vigorously and spread like crazy in our area.

  1574. #1574skadill2022-11-15 22:11
  1575. #1575camptramp2022-11-15 23:30

    BCFP Renfrew Div. #221 HDX Hayes

  1576. #1576camptramp2022-11-15 23:38

    BCFP Renfrew Div. #222 HDX Hayes

  1577. #1577camptramp2022-11-15 23:40

    BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-232 HDX Hayes

  1578. #1578skadill2022-11-16 00:16
  1579. #1579skadill2022-11-16 22:57
  1580. #1580camptramp2022-11-17 00:50

    Dave Whiskin photo Timberwest HBO Div. Dave driving Lake Cowichan's Dale Weaver's Mack being unloaded by "Over head crane" at Shoal Island DLS

  1581. #1581camptramp2022-11-17 00:55

    BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-264 P16 Pacific new at Renfrew Div. shop late Spring 1980

  1582. #1582camptramp2022-11-17 00:59

    BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-264 P16 Pacific Lowbedding #27-28 a new Madill Grapple Yarder to the woods first time , ear ly Summer 1980 .

  1583. #1583skadill2022-11-17 01:30
  1584. #1584camptramp2022-11-18 00:11

    BCFP Renfrew Div. #223 HDX Hayes former logging truck retired to Sand Truck duty's .

  1585. #1585camptramp2022-11-18 00:15

    BCFP Renfrew Div. #222 HDX Hayes

  1586. #1586skadill2022-11-18 01:47
  1587. #1587camptramp2022-11-18 22:53

    BCFP Renfrew Div. HC 2000 late October early November 1981 . #797 Skagit Yarder was yarding up hill , the "turn" hung up on a stump . A choker broke , causing a flash of flame to jump from broken cable to a bush pile . Most Fire Fighting Equipment had been taken back to "Camp" . I was driving the #222 Hayes . I picked up the "Long Tom" water tanker at Renfrew Camp , probably 2 1/2 - 3 hours to get to fire above Harris Creek Summit . By that time fire had burnt up hill side to road . The #797 a self propelled yarder was the first yarder , beyond it on the next setting was the #665 a low bed mounted yarder . The 2 log loaders had "walked " down the road into the clear . I dropped the "Long Tom" and as the fire was up to , but hadn't jumped the road . Went through the smoke and hooked on to the #665 yarder and got it safely out of harms way .

  1588. #1588JPV2022-11-18 23:03

    Funny you mention that, I have spent the last couple days on our 538 roadbuilder fighting fire, there are quite a few going in our area. There were a lot of slash piles lit after the big "atmospheric river" we had two weeks ago, then the wind turned around and has been blowing hard out of the east since and everything is as dry as it has been all summer. All these piles rekindled, kind of a mess one doesn't expect in November.

  1589. #1589camptramp2022-11-18 23:12

    Old Mother Nature can throw us the odd curve ball every now and then .

  1590. #1590skadill2022-11-19 00:57
  1591. #1591skadill2022-11-19 19:56
  1592. #1592camptramp2022-11-19 21:57

    BCFP Renfrew Div. #222 HDX Hayes

  1593. #1593Truck Shop2022-11-19 21:58

    There was a TV show in the 70's called Room 222.

  1594. #1594skadill2022-11-19 22:16
  1595. #1595Truck Shop2022-11-20 07:41

    Liked the looks of the LTL, didn't care for working in them. A good truck though.

  1596. #1596Old Doug2022-11-20 09:37

    I had watched that show some but didnt remember it till now. I didnt like it all that good but when you just get 3 channels .

  1597. #1597skadill2022-11-20 21:57
  1598. #1598camptramp2022-11-22 00:47

    BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-232 HDX Hayes

  1599. #1599skadill2022-11-22 01:04
  1600. #1600Welder Dave2022-11-22 18:40

    It looks like there's damage at the top of the grill? Any idea what year the truck is?

  1601. #1601Truck Shop2022-11-22 19:02

    Mid to late 80's possibly, looks like a distorted reflection on the chrome grille surround.

  1602. #1602Truck Shop2022-11-22 19:41

    Dam's Ford?

  1603. #1603Welder Dave2022-11-22 22:35

    Always heard the Fords were pretty stout trucks, not a Pacific but heavier duty that some others.

  1604. #1604Hank R2022-11-22 22:40

    Used to be a LTL hauling logs here in late 90's i think everyone just called the truck Henrietta , Russ the driver would call Hernietta 25 loaded on ....rd

  1605. #1605camptramp2022-11-22 23:11

    BCFP Renfrew Div. Bill Neil's last HDX Hayes loaded off Tr. 11 on to Gordon River M/L driver Carl Carlson .

  1606. #1606skadill2022-11-23 00:22
  1607. #1607Old Doug2022-11-23 08:33

    We had some fords were i worked the best thing about them was getting parts . One of our drivers went buy there everyday some times 2 times a day Midway Ford .

  1608. #1608camptramp2022-11-23 22:14

    BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-232 HDX Hayes , #6-231 HDX Hayes .

  1609. #1609skadill2022-11-24 00:35
  1610. #161064Pacific2022-11-24 10:45

    I think that these two ended up in the Prince George area during the 90's (looks like they could be in an auction in the photo judging by the background). Up until a last year one of the two, if they were in fact the same trucks could be seen with a dump box and the other in the owner's yard with logging rigging.

  1611. #161192U 34062022-11-24 12:15

    First ever service of my professional career was on that truck.

  1612. #1612skadill2022-11-24 13:18
  1613. #1613skadill2022-11-24 13:19
  1614. #1614camptramp2022-11-24 21:55

    BCFP Renfrew Div #6-232 HDX Hayes

  1615. #1615Truck Shop2022-11-24 21:56

    1947 Pete.

  1616. #1616skadill2022-11-24 22:07
  1617. #1617Truck Shop2022-11-25 07:24

    No one noticed the 47 Pete above was Hall Scott powered and lit up with butane. Autocar below. DC 102

  1618. #1618camptramp2022-11-25 14:41

    Bruce Wilson Photo's BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-238 HDX Hayes

  1619. #1619skadill2022-11-25 15:30
  1620. #1620camptramp2022-11-26 00:00

    BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-232 HDX Hayes

  1621. #1621camptramp2022-11-26 00:06

    BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-243 HDX Hayes

  1622. #1622skadill2022-11-26 01:34
  1623. #1623Welder Dave2022-11-26 04:20

    I was curious if Hayes was upset that 3 employee's left to start Pacific? Was there a lot of bitterness or did they welcome the new venture? Were the guys that left upset working at Hayes?

  1624. #162464Pacific2022-11-26 11:30

    Not sure if the Hayes management was upset about the loss of the initial Pacific employees, I would imagine there were some sore people for a few days. I haven't ever heard any details or reasons behind the parting of ways. On the Pacific side those who came up with the early Pacific model nomenclature did show a bit of gratitude towards Hayes. Discovered by Darren Hingston, the letters in the early model numbering can be re-arranged to spell "Hayes Mfg. Co." with a couple other letters added in (notably a W). I will see if I can find a copy of an article in which he describes this in a bit more detail.

  1625. #162592U 34062022-11-26 11:40

    Not sure what its supposed to be but the trailer axle is self-steering like the real one and has functional walking beam suspension.

  1626. #1626Chopper952022-11-26 22:09

    1980 C510 Kenworth with a 280 Prentice, local mouse house and sure smells like it too. I've got a guy hauling right now with a 2000 379 Pete 7CZ C-16 Cat 600hp, brake saver, regular 5 axle long log set up; made it 1.2 million before cooling nozzle failed and had to rebuild. Sharp truck. Will try to get photos

  1627. #1627Welder Dave2022-11-26 22:30

    Other than a home for mice looks like it's well maintained and looked after.

  1628. #1628camptramp2022-11-26 23:31

    BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-239 HDX Hayes

  1629. #1629Chopper952022-11-26 23:33

    Body and fenders are in great shape, which is rare for the age. The interior is rough though and cab full of parts, but looks like everything is there. Want to say it had a 290 Cummins BC3 maybe, a 7LL and like 6.50 gears. It was a very odd combo, low and slow for sure. Loader was in slightly better shape but still needs some love. If the door name is correct, the owner is on the same Forest Service project as I am right now. Very large firewood outfit from Denver area. They own another Prentice on an Oshkosh 6x6 as well. Nice Petes as well hauling logs.

  1630. #1630camptramp2022-11-27 23:03

    Renfrew Div . Malloch & Moseley 850 Kenworth

  1631. #1631skadill2022-11-27 23:59
  1632. #1632Truck Shop2022-11-28 18:21

    One I posted above-a early black and white, plus this one taken in the last ten years of the same truck.

  1633. #1633camptramp2022-11-28 22:57

    Not to sure if this was Malloch & Moseley or if this happened after the outfit became Forestland Industries . Between Tr. 4 and Tr. 6 on the Gordon River M/L there is a narrow rock cut . But what made it a little more challenging was a point of rock sticking out about a foot or more about the level of the bunks on more of the larger Off Highway Log Trucks . It wasn't much of a concern for the WFI log trucks the road was built for as they had narrower bunks , but when BCFP started hauling on that M/l the log trucks had 15 - 16 foot bunks . So when you were dodging pot holes you always had to remember that rock was there . I suggested several times that something should be done about it , a "Driller Friend" even stopped and put a hole in it , but it was never "blown" . I rest my case as to why the rock should have been dealt with .

  1634. #1634camptramp2022-11-29 23:23

    BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-263 P16 Pacific with #27-2 new Madill Grapple Yarder on Lowbed heading out to woods 1st time .

  1635. #1635skadill2022-11-29 23:51
  1636. #1636camptramp2022-11-30 21:50

    BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-263 P16 Pacific Lowbedding #505 American 7220 Log Loader

  1637. #1637skadill2022-12-01 15:10
  1638. #1638skadill2022-12-01 15:10
  1639. #1639Tugger22022-12-01 15:25

    Frank Beban Logging Gardner Canal 1973

  1640. #1640camptramp2022-12-01 23:11

    BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-237 , #6-239 , #6-238 HDX Hayes

  1641. #1641skadill2022-12-01 23:54
  1642. #1642John C.2022-12-02 12:34

    Never like to see a line of similar colored trucks at the auction.

  1643. #1643skadill2022-12-03 01:37
  1644. #1644Welder Dave2022-12-03 03:02

    Any idea what company owned them or the year they were sold? This post and your next one kind of blow open the theory RB's only sell junk. They have been the auction company of choice for most business shutdowns or reorganizations. Now the new CEO of RBA wants them to get into the parts business.

  1645. #1645Former Wrench2022-12-03 10:38

    The red KW's look like Mayr Bros trucks. They used to be a big operation with logging and a good sized mill.

  1646. #1646skadill2022-12-03 12:37
  1647. #1647Welder Dave2022-12-03 15:24

    They have the name on them. I was curious about the gold and red trucks. Had to be a big operation.

  1648. #1648camptramp2022-12-03 22:12

    BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-263 P16 Pacific moving Malloch & Moseley Madill 009 Steel Tower .

  1649. #1649skadill2022-12-04 02:18
  1650. #1650skadill2022-12-04 02:19
  1651. #1651skadill2022-12-04 20:27
  1652. #165292U 34062022-12-04 20:28

    I think that's honestly the first time I've ever seen a Ford logging truck.

  1653. #1653camptramp2022-12-06 23:45

    BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-232 HDX Hayes on a cold Winters day .

  1654. #1654skadill2022-12-07 00:38
  1655. #1655skadill2022-12-07 00:39
  1656. #1656Truck Shop2022-12-07 00:43

    Sienna Brothers logging in Cle Elum had three 76 Ford loggers like the one above only black.

  1657. #165764Pacific2022-12-07 14:19

    I believer that the second truck from the left in the second photo is a 1971 P9B SN 500, this one is still around and has recently found a new home and a future restoration. Skadill, any other information on the trucks or the auction which that photo came from?

  1658. #1658Hallback2022-12-07 16:26

    I remember these trucks well.

  1659. #1659skadill2022-12-07 17:50

    As you know ,they are mostly mr. W's auction flyers, I photoed tons of pics from them, but matching each one back to each sale would be a library task

  1660. #1660skadill2022-12-07 17:52
  1661. #1661camptramp2022-12-07 23:42

    BCFP Renfrew Div.

  1662. #1662skadill2022-12-08 11:22
  1663. #1663camptramp2022-12-08 23:17

    BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-239 HDX Hayes crossing Baird Cr. on Gordon R. M/L

  1664. #1664skadill2022-12-09 00:02
  1665. #1665camptramp2022-12-11 00:07

    BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-237 HDX Hayes

  1666. #1666skadill2022-12-11 01:13
  1667. #1667skadill2022-12-11 01:15
  1668. #1668JPV2022-12-11 11:50

    Lloyd Wirkkala provided a little history when I asked him about these photos. Yes. It's the Mack truck I drove for Penttila Log 1964 thru 1967. It was a 1958 with 220 Cummins. The 1952 White I drove for 2 months April and May 1964 while driver Vern Clark had a neck operation. I was 19 , a real challenge for me. No power steering or maxi"s. Big 200 Cummins 5 and 3. Worm drive rearends. But is was a step up from the single axledrive Ford I had been driving for Clyde Sprague. Air brakes on truck but vacuum on 2 axle trailer. When you applied trailer brakes you could feel a little bit of drag. A person didn't do any tail gating with that setup. I'm really old school. When I drove the White they were still loading with tongs. They had 2 sizes. Wasn't too much later they got a Albin cable grapple. That eliminated the head loader and second loader. The head loader could build a load even when the truck was out of site. He had hand signals to the loader operator where to put the log on the truck. The loader operator didn't do anything but lift lower and swing the log. At the time I didn't realize that most young people will never see it. Another thing the head loader was good at was putting the tong on the log in the right place so the truck wouldn't have to move back and forth . Even with the cable grapple you had to move truck to spot logs. The second loader was responsible for spotting the logs forward or back. He sat on a platform on top of cab. He had a branding hammer and would tap the cab guard. 1 rap go ahead or 2 to backup. He also cut limbs helped hook up trailer and help wrap up.

  1669. #166992U 34062022-12-11 12:00

    Crazy how machines have evolved over the years. Back when I started at the first dealer I worked with a fella many years my senior who came from a branch down on the island. The stories the guy would tell about wrenching on those highlead logging sites down there made me realize just how lucky (and easy) we have it today.

  1670. #1670John C.2022-12-11 14:25

    My dad use to take us into the woods in the summer where he was working. He cleared right of ways ahead of the logging crews on forest service land in those days. When we got out of the pickup we could ride with him on the shovel or have free rain to roam. He just warned us to not go farther than we could hear the engine on the shovel running. A few times I would walk back down the road and watch the logging operation. I knew the sound of the whistles but was always watching the shovels. Most were Link-Belts with some Americans and Bucyrus-Erie machines. All were heel boom and grapple machines in those days. I wish I had the video equipment I have now back then for a comparison of the operators and machines. The good operators were so smooth with those machines. The bad operators were so obvious. You would see them drop the grapples down on a log and the grapples would slam shut with a bang and bounce off the log. Then they would lift the grapple with the holding line so the grapples would open then then try again on a log. Most got the log and then lifted and swung it over the truck and trailer. Now lower the log onto the bunks with a bang and try to get the grapple loose which would take some fiddling then back with another bang and try again. Others would swing over the log, get the grapple open and just let it fall onto the log. The Link-Belts used the throttle a lot. Swing over the log, let off the throttle, lower the open grapple down on to the log and grab it, throttle up to pick up the log to the heel boom and let off the throttle, then lower the log onto the bunk. Fenaggle the log on the bunk so that it sat right, throttle up and swing out for the next. I think all the really good operators were in their forties or fifties back then, but I was a kid and these are memories. All that is why the photos of those tall loads in Canada amaze me. The men who loaded them were artists as much as operators.

  1671. #1671Former Wrench2022-12-11 15:02

    I remember seeing operators "throw" the tongs at out of reach logs until the shovel had to be moved to a better position. Great to watch.

  1672. #167292U 34062022-12-11 15:07

    Every summer I'd ride in dad's truck probably twice a week. Nothing beats being up on a mountain on a logging block. Smell of fresh cut pine and spruce and that BC Interior mud. Wouldn't mind driving a logging truck for a bit one day. Just too bad the "classic" long logger setups have disappeared in favour of quads and super b's. Nothing looks better coming down the road than a tandem or tridem pole trailer setup IMO. Even a tri-axle long logger or pole trailer and single axle jeep looks pretty sweet.

  1673. #1673JPV2022-12-11 15:14

    Here is a nice load of fir I had last Thursday off of a state job.

  1674. #167492U 34062022-12-11 15:18

    Interesting trailer. Looks like a variation of the "dog leg" that was ran around here for a while. Never really got popular, only know of one guy who had one.

  1675. #1675John C.2022-12-11 15:20

    Kind of looks like hemlock on the bottom and a fir log to top off the load.

  1676. #1676Hallback2022-12-11 19:18

    One of the units out of Naselle?

  1677. #1677Hallback2022-12-11 19:19

    The stuff on the bottom is freshly cut and the one on top had been bucked and sitting for a while. Around here the older fir that is 80 or older doesn't have the red look like the 60-year-old and under stuff does.

  1678. #1678JPV2022-12-11 20:49

    Here it is from the rear, this is a Debriae job up on Beaver Creek out of Cathlamet. Lots of nice Hemlock too. The trailer is a copy of the ones that North Fork Timber built for themselves for years. There aren't too many like it around, most of the three axle trailers now have fixed frames with steerable rear axles. This one works good, the only problem is it is heavy. It is 9800 lbs, I can haul 32.5 tons legally.

  1679. #1679John C.2022-12-11 21:20

    Cool, now I see the pink.

  1680. #1680JPV2022-12-11 21:26

    Here is a question, how come there are no old growth red fir or second growth yellow fir? I have never seen a young yellow fir. Does something change over time?

  1681. #1681Hallback2022-12-11 21:27

    I don't see any track prints in that rear light bar?

  1682. #1682Hallback2022-12-11 21:29

    Yes, as a Douglas fir tree gets mature to the end of its actual productive lifespan it stops growing for the most part, it will add rings each year but nothing like a younger one so much like a human and their blood they pretty much die off and then it ages to a yellow color.

  1683. #1683JPV2022-12-11 21:29

    Look really close at the chrome rings around the outside tail lights...

  1684. #1684werkhorse2022-12-12 04:28

    Hi, it's Werkhorse here ... aka Darren Hingston ... As Scott has mentioned I did indeed work out the early letter code for the Pacific's when I was researching the 15 Pacific's that came to Australia in the 1960s ... All came to Tasmania, the little island state at the bottom of Australia. The D and W denote Double reduction or Worm drive. A copy of this was then sent to Larry to put in the Pacific historical files.

  1685. #1685camptramp2022-12-13 00:46

    BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-232 HDX Hayes

  1686. #1686skadill2022-12-13 01:28
  1687. #1687camptramp2022-12-14 00:11

    BCFP Renfrew Div .

  1688. #1688skadill2022-12-14 00:54
  1689. #1689Truck Shop2022-12-14 07:24

    Duck-

  1690. #1690camptramp2022-12-14 22:12

    BCFP Renfrew Div.

  1691. #1691skadill2022-12-14 22:49
  1692. #1692skadill2022-12-16 01:33
  1693. #1693Truck Shop2022-12-16 07:36

    Almost a match.

  1694. #1694Truck Shop2022-12-18 18:16

    Kenworth 802.

  1695. #1695camptramp2022-12-18 22:40

    BCFP Renfrew Div . #6-232 HDX Hayes

  1696. #1696skadill2022-12-18 23:04
  1697. #169792U 34062022-12-18 23:14
  1698. #1698skadill2022-12-18 23:18
  1699. #1699Tugger22022-12-18 23:28

    What a pleasure to see a highway logging truck with out stakes that reach the clouds and a ton of extra axles . A guy could make money and still have a life with trucks like this without being beholden to the tire shop and the fuel supplier.

  1700. #1700Hank R2022-12-19 07:46

    Not to forget ICBC and your cost of MV inspections.

  1701. #170192U 34062022-12-19 12:03

    Good ol' ICBC. Biggest crooks in the entire province.

  1702. #1702Tugger22022-12-19 21:48

    The biggest crooks are pulling ICBC s strings and feedin us BS stories.

  1703. #1703skadill2022-12-19 22:06
  1704. #1704camptramp2022-12-19 22:21

    BCFP Renfrew Div. #6-232 HDX Hayes

  1705. #1705skadill2022-12-19 22:46
  1706. #1706camptramp2022-12-20 23:12

    Toby Hird Photo's Malloch & Moseley Nitinat Div. Dave Farris's 848 Kenworth .

  1707. #1707camptramp2022-12-20 23:23

    Ed Isacson Photo's Malloch & Moseley Nitinat Div. #141 P16 Pacific .

  1708. #1708skadill2022-12-20 23:49
  1709. #1709Truck Shop2022-12-21 07:12

    Star!

  1710. #1710colson042022-12-21 07:58

    "Tony's first day in his new job after operating log trucks for many, many years" (Not my picture, just sharing from elsewhere)

  1711. #1711skadill2022-12-22 02:10
  1712. #1712camptramp2022-12-22 22:13

    Oz Nelson photo's WFI Gordon River Div.

  1713. #1713skadill2022-12-22 23:36
  1714. #1714skadill2022-12-24 01:52
  1715. #171592U 34062022-12-24 13:41

    I can't believe how bad BC has gotten in terms of extorting money. I just about puked when I saw the fuel prices there the other day.

  1716. #1716camptramp2022-12-24 22:58

    Ed Isacson Photo

  1717. #1717skadill2022-12-25 00:00
  1718. #1718Hank R2022-12-25 14:47

    Got from my friend Mark this morning one of his trucks..

  1719. #1719Truck Shop2022-12-25 16:57
  1720. #1720skadill2022-12-26 00:39
  1721. #1721camptramp2022-12-27 00:18

    Ed Isacson Photo Gordy Isacson's Malloch & Moseley "clone" M & M Kenworth

  1722. #1722Jumbo2022-12-27 00:33

    "camptramp, post: 1098057, member: 37724"]Ed Isacson Photo Gordy Isacson's Malloch & Moseley "clone" M & M Kenworth I will date myself once again; the two worst inventions for trucks were rectangle headlights and door handles down in the right hand corner. I love the look of the round headlights on the truck. Too bad the door handle isn't at the top right hand corner of the door as a "proper" lever handle. It is a beautiful truck with an appropriate load.

  1723. #1723camptramp2022-12-27 22:20

    Bruce Ridley Photo's Hayes Forest

  1724. #1724camptramp2022-12-27 22:23

    Bruce Ridley Photo's Hayes Forest

  1725. #1725skadill2022-12-28 01:09
  1726. #1726bccat2022-12-28 02:10

    Malloch & Mosley, Squamish truck shop, Early 80’s, Did a H D apprenticeship with them in the early 70’s after quitting Rayonier at Mahatta River on Vancouver Island, I think rained all of July 1970,got the @#%$ out of there. No road out at that time

  1727. #1727Tugger22022-12-28 15:33

    bccat were you in Mahatta when Oconnor Logging set up camp at Cleagh Creek? I went in there from Oconnors Port Hardy shop to fill in for the welder at Cleagh. Memorable occaison was was coming in to work in the moring and seeing the tiremans truck an old 750 Ford with the roof dented in ,most of the tire gear gone off the deck and the inside of the cab ravaged . The old 530 Case back hoe was worse for wear from the midnight rescue. Rumour had it some of the crew decided to make a trip over to the bar at Mahatta and flipped it on the return trip. Big mistake was trying to cover the whole incident up.

  1728. #1728bccat2022-12-28 20:18

    Dave, I can’t remember very much about the contractor’s who worked there. I worked mostly in the camp, 2pm -10.00 pm,servicing trucks. One thing I remember was a welder who was rebuilding a TD 25b blade, all of a sudden the top left corner of the blade split wide open,at least a 1/4 of an inch split top to bottom. The Boss was sure pissed. While I was there ,they replaced the 3 Cat D13000 Gen sets with 3 Cummins power plants.Just turned 20 at the time, very green between the ears. Being a isolated Camp people were not that friendly to an outsider, it was tough, but that is life. The best part was the food, and flying in & out on a Grumman Goose Which supported my love of flying a few yrs later.

  1729. #172992U 34062022-12-28 21:22

    Was just thinking the other day about how many log rigging manufacturers that have disappeared from the market. I remember seeing Knight, Columbia and Par-Pac a lot years ago. Don't really see much Superior or Anser around these days either. Seems like most logging iron these days is either Peerless or Freflyt. Is Profab still in business?

  1730. #1730camptramp2022-12-28 22:38

    Gord Isacson Malloch Family Photo's

  1731. #1731skadill2022-12-29 01:29
  1732. #1732Doug19662022-12-29 11:33

    QUOTE="92U 3406, post: 1098661, member: 62173"]Was just thinking the other day about how many log rigging manufacturers that have disappeared from the market. I remember seeing Knight, Columbia and Par-Pac a lot years ago. Don't really see much Superior or Anser around these days either. Seems like most logging iron these days is either Peerless or Freflyt. Is Profab still in business?[/QUOTE] Hi, yes profab still in business, they took over vanguard cranes as well.

  1733. #1733Tugger22022-12-29 14:17

    Its no picnic being a new guy in a big camp like that especially being hidden away on a night shift like that. I went into Cleagh Creek to replace the welder who was on holidays .The guy was super welder ,best friends with the Master Mechanic and i was a green 18 year old welder so i didnt impress the Master Mechanic. After 2 weeks i went to him and said i wanted to go back to the town shop when he could spare me . i got along fine with the Master Mechanic there . He just laughed and said off you go i was going to fire you anyhow. That was logging then.

  1734. #1734Truck Shop2022-12-29 19:57

    I don't if any of you regulars on this thread ever saw this old 1960 B75 logger I turned into a tractor. I saw this truck IIRC in 1970 rolling through Cle Elum, Wa. with a 6 log load. Originally owned by Graham Bros Logging in Easton, Wa. At one point I was going to put a headache rack and had a pick of two Peerless log trailer to choose from to set on the back. But it never happened and as it turned out I was lucky to get it finished. This old girl led a rough life in the woods before I found it again years later. The stories it could tell. The thread is in this link. HeavyEquipmentForums

  1735. #1735camptramp2022-12-30 23:46

    Ed Isacson Photo's Malloch & Moseley #143 850 Kenworth

  1736. #1736skadill2022-12-31 00:11
  1737. #1737skadill2023-01-01 23:38

    Kenworth was Skoglund's truck

  1738. #1738camptramp2023-01-02 22:49

    Bill Elliot Collection Malloch & Moseley Muir Creek Malloch Family Photo's

  1739. #1739camptramp2023-01-02 22:51

    Bill Elliot Collection Malloch & Moseley Muir Creek Malloch Family Photo's

  1740. #1740Hank R2023-01-02 23:03

    Ken Ganton is wife's uncle.

  1741. #1741Truck Shop2023-01-03 18:43
  1742. #1742Oxbow2023-01-03 22:45

    Curved windshield glass even then.

  1743. #1743skadill2023-01-04 00:21
  1744. #1744Hank R2023-01-04 07:32
  1745. #1745camptramp2023-01-04 23:29

    Bil Elliot Collection from Malloch Family Photo's . Par Buckle dump at Malloch & Moseley Dryland Sort Sooke B.C.

  1746. #1746skadill2023-01-05 01:19
  1747. #1747camptramp2023-01-05 23:05

    Bill Elliot Collection Malloch Family Photo's

  1748. #1748skadill2023-01-05 23:08
  1749. #1749camptramp2023-01-05 23:26

    Gord Isacson Collection Malloch Family Photos

  1750. #1750bccat2023-01-05 23:30

    Squamish Logger Sports Parade,late 70’s

  1751. #1751camptramp2023-01-08 23:20

    Dave Whiskin Photo Timberwest HBO Div.

  1752. #1752skadill2023-01-09 00:02
  1753. #1753camptramp2023-01-10 23:28

    Dave Whiskin Photo's WFI Gordon River Camp

  1754. #1754camptramp2023-01-10 23:35

    Gord Isacson Collection

  1755. #1755camptramp2023-01-10 23:38

    Gord Isacson Collection

  1756. #1756skadill2023-01-11 00:12
  1757. #1757camptramp2023-01-11 22:18

    Dave Whiskin Photo's WFI Honeymoon Bay DLS

  1758. #1758skadill2023-01-11 22:30
  1759. #1759camptramp2023-01-12 23:02

    Gord Isacson Photo's Malloch Logging

  1760. #1760camptramp2023-01-12 23:09

    Gord Isacson Photo's Malloch Logging

  1761. #1761skadill2023-01-13 00:04
  1762. #1762camptramp2023-01-13 22:47

    Gord Isacson Malloch Logging

  1763. #1763skadill2023-01-13 23:51
  1764. #1764camptramp2023-01-14 01:00

    Gord Isacson Photo's "Before"

  1765. #1765camptramp2023-01-14 01:01

    Gord Isacson Photo "After"

  1766. #1766Hayesno12023-01-14 04:05

    Blue KW900B with long load. I am pretty sure I took that picture in Chetwynd BC, Summer 2010.

  1767. #1767camptramp2023-01-14 23:15

    Dave Whiskin Photo's Timberwest HBO

  1768. #1768skadill2023-01-14 23:35
  1769. #1769Hayesno12023-01-15 03:54

    Retired Mack B-model logging truck

  1770. #1770Truck Shop2023-01-15 07:45

    B73-Cummins powered.

  1771. #1771Hayesno12023-01-15 17:51

    Thanks for info. I thought it had a Detroit engine (2 stacks)

  1772. #1772Truck Shop2023-01-15 17:58

    Really it could be anything-it could have a V8-Maxidyne.

  1773. #1773Hayesno12023-01-15 18:03

    This truck has been at that spot for over a decade. I have taken a few pictures of her before. I’ve to check about the model.

  1774. #1774Truck Shop2023-01-15 18:15

    Enlarging photo it's really hard to tell what's under the hood-could be be a B75 but-there were no Detroit V8's offered with the B's. If it has one it's a transplant. Vin tag would be at bottom/inside passenger door.

  1775. #1775Hayesno12023-01-15 18:31

    Sad to see - 3 big truck makes in the logging Industry - from left to right Pacific P16, KW and a Hayes HDX

  1776. #1776camptramp2023-01-15 23:13

    Gord Isacson Collection Malloch Family Photo's

  1777. #1777skadill2023-01-16 00:23
  1778. #1778camptramp2023-01-17 23:41

    Dave Whiskin Photo Timberwest HBO .

  1779. #1779skadill2023-01-18 00:17
  1780. #1780kshansen2023-01-18 07:37

    Those three Euclid trucks give me flash backs to the R-35 haul trucks we had at the quarry for a few years and were passed around to other quarries over the years. 12V-71 Detroits screaming away! Especially when dumping as there were no mufflers. The dump bodies acted as a muffler until you raised to dump then it was straight out the pipe just to the right of the cab!

  1781. #1781Tugger22023-01-18 11:53

    I went into Chamiss Bay mid 70s to work on an American log loader . They had some Euclid log trucks parked in there. Im taking a wild guess on the above picture,the Euc s look like they are parked in the old Cattermole Yard in Chilliwack

  1782. #1782Old Doug2023-01-18 12:49

    I have been helping my brother build a truck. If it wouldnt have rained today i would be welding the cab protector together . He wants to put a picker on it and we have some found.

  1783. #1783Truck Shop2023-01-21 20:45

    Challenger.

  1784. #178492U 34062023-01-21 21:08

    Premay has a couple I think. Seen one during the Fort Mac fire, parked on the side of the highway with a blown engine. Was trying to get a D10 into town to build fire breaks.

  1785. #1785Truck Shop2023-01-22 15:41

    1-22-1923 it became known as.

  1786. #1786John C.2023-01-22 16:04

    Were they always part of Paccar?

  1787. #1787Hayesno12023-01-22 16:49

    Yes they do - look at Challenger Tread #115

  1788. #1788Hayesno12023-01-22 16:52

    No - I think since 1945 as I recall…

  1789. #1789Truck Shop2023-01-22 18:07

    Old man Piggot owned Pacific Car and Foundry and bought Kenworth in 1946. Mark Piggot the son was over it up until about 8 to 10 years ago. http://www.kwvintagetrucks.com/truck-identification.html

  1790. #1790mekanik2023-01-22 19:05

    Where was the first Kenworth factory? Kenworths were built in Canada in Burnaby in BC and in Montreal Quebec and Seattle when I started working on them.

  1791. #1791Former Wrench2023-01-22 19:32

    I think the first plant might have been in Renton; south of Seattle.

  1792. #1792Truck Shop2023-01-22 20:04

    Correct Renton---Originally started as Gerlinger in 1915 to 1917, then became Gersix to 1923 when it became Kenworth. Also built in New Jersey, Ohio and COE's in Tennessee plus Mexico for some years now.

  1793. #1793Truck Shop2023-01-22 20:09

    A photo I took of what's left of a 1927 Kenworth, oldest I've seen in the wild.

  1794. #1794camptramp2023-01-22 23:24

    Oz Nelson photo's Fletcher Challenge Canada Caycuse Div.

  1795. #1795skadill2023-01-22 23:46
  1796. #1796Truck Shop2023-01-23 17:04

    3408 in 40-132?

  1797. #1797camptramp2023-01-23 21:47

    It is a 3408 Cat in the #40-132 , the only 3408 in the fleet .

  1798. #1798camptramp2023-01-24 22:43

    Gord Isacson Photo I believe this is another picture from movie "Five easy pieces " taken North of Duncan B.C. at an area known as Westholme , at the intersection of Mt. Sicker Rd. and the Trans Canada Highway .

  1799. #1799camptramp2023-01-26 00:14

    Gord Isacson photos

  1800. #1800skadill2023-01-26 00:43
  1801. #1801Truck Shop2023-01-26 20:42

    Has to be a 1940 to 1942 year/model KW. One piece flat glass windshield and no wing vent windows. More than likely gas powered.

  1802. #1802Truck Shop2023-01-26 20:53

    Any of you recognize this logger, supposedly was a Vancouver Island truck.

  1803. #1803Jumbo2023-01-27 00:00
  1804. #1804skadill2023-01-27 01:31
  1805. #1805Truck Shop2023-01-27 01:50

    Photo was taken in 1958 which would fit year of car, I know that area pretty well.

  1806. #1806camptramp2023-01-27 21:42

    The red and white car in back ground looks to be a 1956 Chev 2dr post .

  1807. #1807Truck Shop2023-01-27 21:45

    Correct --1958 and down in vintage.

  1808. #1808camptramp2023-01-27 23:01

    That Green KW belonged to Per Haynes of the Cowichan area sometime in the late 1980's .

  1809. #1809camptramp2023-01-27 23:24

    Gord Isacson Collection Malloch & Moseley Malloch Family photo

  1810. #1810skadill2023-01-27 23:40
  1811. #1811Oxbow2023-01-28 07:07

    Good eye!

  1812. #1812Hayesno12023-01-28 16:42
  1813. #1813camptramp2023-01-28 23:30

    Gord Isacson Collection Malloch Family Photo

  1814. #1814skadill2023-01-29 01:22
  1815. #1815Truck Shop2023-01-29 03:21

    This is a real nice photo-guessing 59 to 61, has fiberglass fenders and four piece grille surround.

  1816. #1816Hayesno12023-01-29 15:47

    Old Diamond T

  1817. #1817Truck Shop2023-01-29 18:38

    That T really looks pretty fair condition, nice photo.

  1818. #1818camptramp2023-01-29 23:27

    Gord Isacson Collection Malloch Family Photo's Malloch & Moseley

  1819. #1819skadill2023-01-29 23:47
  1820. #1820camptramp2023-01-31 22:20

    Bruce Ridley Photo's Hayes Forest

  1821. #1821skadill2023-02-01 00:42
  1822. #1822camptramp2023-02-02 22:39

    Gord Isacson Photo's Malloch & Moseley Rivers Inlet Div.

  1823. #1823skadill2023-02-02 23:20
  1824. #1824Hayesno12023-02-03 14:57

    Just a few from Fort St. John and further South to Dawson Creek

  1825. #1825skadill2023-02-08 02:31
  1826. #1826camptramp2023-02-09 00:05

    Pat MacMillen Photo Timberwest HBO Div.

  1827. #1827skadill2023-02-09 12:54
  1828. #1828camptramp2023-02-09 22:55

    Gord Isacson Photo's Cragg Creek Logging

  1829. #1829skadill2023-02-10 06:22
  1830. #1830Hayesno12023-02-11 04:39
  1831. #1831Old Doug2023-02-12 11:11

    Can someone tell me the height of a pintle hitch on a log truck?

  1832. #1832Hank R2023-02-12 13:19

    This truck is pulling a 4 axle wagon short logs as there are no long log trailers here in town. ground to top bolt on Pintle hook is 29 inches. top of Pintle hook to frame crossmember is 11 inches.

  1833. #1833Hank R2023-02-12 13:20

    Forgot the pictures

  1834. #1834camptramp2023-02-12 23:45

    Pat MacMillen Photo's

  1835. #1835skadill2023-02-13 02:06
  1836. #1836skadill2023-02-15 01:55
  1837. #183792U 34062023-02-18 11:50

    Seen an odd looking pair of trailers at a dealer in central Alberta this morning. Looked like BC spec short log quads but with a single axle converter dolly instead of a tandem. Wasn't a short frame like the typical BC long log tri-axle.

  1838. #1838skadill2023-02-20 23:24
  1839. #1839skadill2023-03-02 22:30
  1840. #1840Truck Shop2023-03-12 18:26

    111

  1841. #1841Truck Shop2023-03-12 19:14

    1937 shovel nose Kenworth.

  1842. #1842Paystar2023-03-13 09:19

    I remember having to truck across a bridge like that on a job I was on. I did not like that. LOL Was better at night because I couldn't see the bottom.

  1843. #1843Truck Shop2023-03-13 09:45

    It's a long way to the bottom if you want to rock and roll!

  1844. #1844Tugger22023-03-13 12:20

    WE used to do repair work on one of the Gulf Island ferry terminals .Locals got cranky about us driving piles on nite shift so we went back to working days between sailings . The trestle was similar to the one in the above picture ,maybe not as substantial.We were changing bearing piles and had one of the middle piles out when the ship came in .with car and light truck traffic we would just throw a deck plank down and let them proceed. This sailing had a loaded logging truck coming off . As we were not to mess with the ferry schedule and being haywire pile drivers we opted to let him pass .Stood on the barge beside it with all fingers crossed as he passed ,a little creak n groan and we were ok . Just another one of the nail biters you suffer thru trying to keep every one happy.

  1845. #1845skadill2023-03-17 22:39
  1846. #1846skadill2023-03-17 22:40
  1847. #1847Paystar2023-03-18 18:30

    One of those looks out of place, LOL Actually a good friend of mine hauled all kinds of logs out of the bush in one of those little GM's, just the older version, I'm not up on GM model numbers. I have pics of it wooded up twice as high as the cab and all it had was a little 6-71 Detroit. I know which one is my favorite.......I spent a lot of time in those Paystar 5000 6x6's in the bush.

  1848. #184892U 34062023-03-18 18:36

    Alberta may have BC smoked when it comes to heavy haul trucks but BC definitely has the nicest logging trucks in the country. Just can't beat the nice, clean look of a classic 5-7 axle long logger.

  1849. #1849Jumbo2023-03-18 23:24

    "Little 6-71?" You must be a young pup. I can remember when half if not more trucks had 6-71s. We thought they were a big engine those days.

  1850. #1850Tugger22023-03-19 23:04

    An internet picture not mine .I always though a truck like this was the classic highway log hauler . Practical not eating tires and fuel.

  1851. #1851Alusium2023-03-20 15:46

    The best drivers I’ve known didn’t mess around with unnecessary stuff.

  1852. #1852Paystar2023-03-20 18:37

    You should see the stupid laws up here in Ontario. To get max 63,500 KG gross a self loader truck has to be a twin steer tri-drive with a 3 axle pup trailer. Or for a trailer truck it is a tractor with a 5 axle trailer.

  1853. #1853Birken Vogt2023-03-20 23:56

    5 axles is all they have around here, figure it doesn't scrub up the pavement I guess. 80,000 lbs and that is that, no 105,500 or anything like that.

  1854. #1854Truck Shop2023-03-21 06:59

    One big reason we like many others don't run California. 98% of the company trucks are configured for extended weight.

  1855. #1855Acoals2023-03-21 07:32

    Come to Michigan . . . 11 axles/164,000lb

  1856. #1856Paystar2023-03-22 08:23

    When I see Michigan units all I ever thought to myself is no way I'd ever want to have to buy all those tires.....or even try and get underneath the thing to do a brake adjustment, LOL

  1857. #1857Truck Shop2023-03-29 10:41
  1858. #1858Truck Shop2023-03-30 21:34
  1859. #1859Tugger22023-03-31 10:15

    Looks like that Sh#tty day was his lucky day.

  1860. #1860skadill2023-04-04 01:03
  1861. #1861skadill2023-04-07 00:08
  1862. #1862Hank R2023-04-07 07:30

    Looks like a Olson truck from Midway

  1863. #1863hd542023-04-07 11:38

    it is one of olson

  1864. #1864Paystar2023-04-07 12:48

    I always loved those C500 hoods. I used to drive one of those back in the 80's.

  1865. #1865skadill2023-04-13 22:09
  1866. #1866skadill2023-04-13 22:11
  1867. #1867Truck Shop2023-04-15 18:27
  1868. #1868M.d. woodford2023-04-16 00:55

    I learned how to haul logs on this exact truck . Very cool find

  1869. #1869skadill2023-04-17 00:29
  1870. #1870skadill2023-04-17 00:30
  1871. #1871skadill2023-04-17 00:32
  1872. #1872skadill2023-04-23 22:30
  1873. #1873skadill2023-04-23 22:32
  1874. #1874Hallback2023-04-23 22:45

    I've never understood what the mud flaps on the front bumper are for? I've never seen trucks with them down here.

  1875. #187592U 34062023-04-24 00:14

    Aesthetics. Looks nicer IMO.

  1876. #1876Truck Shop2023-04-24 02:37

    You've never been to New England-every thing has spaghetti flaps. It's in case of a fast back up. Here's a SL covered in spaghetti, chicken sticks with woofert's mounted on top you just can't have enough logo's and brand name on the truck-someone like a typical housewife who could give a sh-t might confuse it with a Subaru with a bicycle and kayak on the roof. I saw one that had Mack in 18 different places including the front flaps at a show, the owner was wearing a shirt that said Mack front and back plus his hat said Mack and the boots he had on had small Mack trinkets with chrome dogs. I'm not sure but I think his chain drive wallet said Mack. I wondered if his first, middle and last name was Mack Mack Mack.

  1877. #1877Truck Shop2023-04-24 02:42

    And here's a personal I did for this guy-he stiffed me/never paid for the original. It was a very intense job too--just look at the spaghetti. I thought about drawing a puddle of Ragu under it.

  1878. #1878mowingman2023-04-24 09:54

    About 2 miles from our house, there is a trucking company that runs only dump trucks. The trailers are a variety of brands and styles, but the tractors really stand out. They have a total of 10 trucks. Two are Mack Superliners, a couple are older Western Stars, and the rest are Peterbilts and Kenworths. All the trucks get washed every Sat, rain or shine. The old Superliners really stand out from the others. They are beautiful trucks.

  1879. #1879Tugger22023-04-24 12:34
  1880. #1880Tugger22023-04-24 12:46

    A good friend of mine was pulling wrenches for Jim Olsen in the 80 s .I went up for breakup one year and built guarding on aCat buncher they had as well as all kinds of other repairs. Shop was just up the road from the scales .We would go to work in the morning and all kinds of stuff would suddenly be in the yard ready for repairs. Seems the bunchers moved quicker and easier tracks sideways on the bed they had .Very perplexing situation for the lone scale operator in town.We were sent down to the railyard one morning in the JC Olsen 1 ton to grab some railway ties for blocking the buncher house that the company had waiting to ship.Broad daylight doing as directed and seen by many locals . I heard some serious grumbling the morning in the Zodiac Cafe about stolen ties,guess we took them from the wrong pile.All seem to get sorted out at some cost we never new after.Good day to be hired from the neck down. Enjoyed working there a lot and was treated very well,Jim was a great guy to work for.

  1881. #1881Tugger22023-04-24 12:47

    Not sure if got the reply right

  1882. #1882skadill2023-04-26 00:52
  1883. #1883Truck Shop2023-04-26 21:12

    Throw in a Brockway, not many pictures of Brockway loggers and this one is art but it's a good rendering.

  1884. #1884Truck Shop2023-04-26 22:05

    Autocar somewhere in Maine.

  1885. #1885Truck Shop2023-04-29 15:39

    Late 30's to early 40's Hayes.

  1886. #1886Hallback2023-05-01 07:16

    Now that is cool.

  1887. #1887Truck Shop2023-05-01 22:38

    R are trucks Garfords, logging on the westside. UW collection.

  1888. #1888Truck Shop2023-05-02 14:46

    Can't really make out the brand of truck, so I'll just call it a KW.

  1889. #1889Hank R2023-05-02 16:01

    TS looks like that would be a exciting ride close to white knuckle hair straight back...

  1890. #1890Truck Shop2023-05-02 17:51

    If you enlarge the photo it almost looks like a faint mist of steam behind it.

  1891. #1891Pops522023-05-02 18:45

    Now I feel bad about complaining about that 60 model Emeryville I had to drive back when.........

  1892. #1892Oxbow2023-05-02 20:14

    Watering the brakes?

  1893. #1893Birken Vogt2023-05-02 21:43

    Or just some dust.

  1894. #1894Truck Shop2023-05-02 21:45

    The light/glare areas of the road tells me it's damp..

  1895. #1895Jumbo2023-05-03 01:07

    Grandy Lake grade, just North of Concrete Washington. Yes, water on the brakes and an old chunk of mainline around a stump to add more hold back coming down grade. In the late '60s, you could see the stumps where they burned the line around as they pulled half down and the other half up. The stumps were just around the corner behind the bank you see at the top of the grade. The road (grade) is/was still in use, but with even the equipment of the late '60s, it was pretty tame. There are some other copies of the same photo floating around with even more info than I can remember. In the late '60s, it was Weyerhaeuser land and I worked in the rigging chasing under a Washington Skylok one Fall. I was told this was one of the last Darius Kinsey photos taken.

  1896. #1896Truck Shop2023-05-03 10:12
  1897. #1897Truck Shop2023-05-03 10:15

    Those three Cletrac's are pulling Fresno's.

  1898. #1898Truck Shop2023-05-03 10:20

    The three guys working on the Cat Sixty are as follows-Mobiletech, VeTech and Cmark in their first life.

  1899. #1899kshansen2023-05-03 11:39

    I'd have been in the picture too, but did not have a timer on the old box camera!

  1900. #1900skadill2023-05-09 00:24
  1901. #1901Truck Shop2023-05-09 16:47

    1946 Taylor & Carver Logging northern California.

  1902. #1902Truck Shop2023-05-09 16:48

    1905 Best steamer log tractor.

  1903. #1903Truck Shop2023-05-11 14:12
  1904. #1904skadill2023-05-14 00:18
  1905. #1905skadill2023-05-16 22:36
  1906. #1906skadill2023-06-03 22:36
  1907. #1907Truck Shop2023-06-25 10:10

    HEF member Grizzly1's Nice rebuilt 78 Western Star.

  1908. #1908DCT2023-07-03 21:53

    Clean up load in southern Oregon

  1909. #1909Truck Shop2023-07-10 21:16

    1942 Grant Co. Oregon-ED Mack. *

  1910. #1910Truck Shop2023-07-15 15:39

    LJ Mack--Sedro Wooley Wa. *

  1911. #1911525isx2023-07-16 07:59

    Rod Gray - had a "B" model up til he died, was an article on him in the seattle times being the oldest log truck driver (at that time)

  1912. #1912Truck Shop2023-07-22 07:26

    1938 or before Fageol. *

  1913. #1913Truck Shop2023-07-26 20:01

    nice old critter. *

  1914. #1914Hallback2023-08-01 09:26

    Table at a bar & grill in Deary Id.

  1915. #1915Truck Shop2023-08-01 17:31

    What were you doing in Deary?

  1916. #1916Hallback2023-08-01 18:36

    Looking at some jobs. I'm headed back over there tomorrow also. Most likely be moving operations over there

  1917. #1917Truck Shop2023-08-01 19:09

    Ah Ha! I will be 30 miles north in a wheat field. Deary is a nice quiet place, not much four lane around there.

  1918. #1918Welder Dave2023-08-01 20:09

    How far away is it from where you are? I thought you bought a new shop/property a few years ago?

  1919. #1919Hallback2023-08-01 20:58

    395 miles. I did but I'm sick of working for free.

  1920. #1920Hallback2023-08-01 20:59

    You hoppin the border also?

  1921. #1921Welder Dave2023-08-01 21:03

    Who sets the prices they pay for logs/ lumber?

  1922. #1922Truck Shop2023-08-01 21:27

    No my place is paid for happy in WW. You driving 124 or 26 to Colfax.

  1923. #1923Hallback2023-08-01 22:01

    26. Roughest road in Wa!

  1924. #1924Hallback2023-08-01 22:02

    The mills that you log for set the rate. You can negotiate some but they're so ******* cheap that if they can see that you can pay for a choker in cash they will cut your rate.

  1925. #1925Crummy2023-08-01 22:08

    Lots of trucks down the hill at my place. Heli been really active, too. I don't know if anyone is making any money, but they're tipping a lot of trees over.

  1926. #1926Truck Shop2023-08-01 22:11

    That's smooth, Colfax to Hangman Hills is extremely bad in a long box quad cab, slap the crap out of you. You taking the short cut to the steep left in downtown Colfax?

  1927. #1927Truck Shop2023-08-01 22:12

    Ain't seen you in a while.

  1928. #1928Hallback2023-08-01 22:16

    Yessir!

  1929. #1929Hallback2023-08-01 22:17

    You are outta Lewiston right?

  1930. #1930Truck Shop2023-08-01 22:17

    I came down that in a truck one winter, covered in ice.

  1931. #1931Crummy2023-08-01 22:19

    My plan of taking it easy went horribly awry. Almost full time at the quarry, plus got the shop put together and seems everybody wants something done. And running the 'ol dump truck, hay season.... I picked up a '76 W900, haven't even had time to work on it. I guess I'm collecting A models now.

  1932. #1932Truck Shop2023-08-01 22:19

    One good thing, Kenworth has a nice new shop in Lewiston-on the Spiral Highway {the old Lewiston grade}.

  1933. #1933Crummy2023-08-01 22:21

    East of Kooskia.

  1934. #1934Welder Dave2023-08-02 00:31

    Does your competition have any influence on pricing ie/ by accepting lower rates? Quite a few years ago trucking operators rates here got cut because a lot of immigrants started trucking companies and offered lower than the going rates by a fair amount. Previously established truckers had to lower their rates if they wanted any work hauling snow or doing any municipal or other gov't. work. I think they formed kind of a union after that but rates were still lower.

  1935. #1935Former Wrench2023-08-02 12:05

    Speaking of working for free; I noticed that Willapa Log is going to auction off equipment later this month.

  1936. #1936Hallback2023-08-02 15:29

    Yeah, I saw that. They don't have anything that's even worth bidding on anymore sadly. Unfortunately they never kept up with the times and the kids hearts weren't in it like Richards was. He just got tired of bailing them out time after time again and without being able to get a good crew you're just pouring money down the toilet

  1937. #1937Hallback2023-08-02 15:30

    And yes competition absolutely does set the rate. Sadly the last 10 years or more like 13 years of good times have brought out a lot of contractors that weren't around before and have never seen a recession. They bought every new piece of glam gear that the timber companies were pushing on them and are at their mercy to work for free. I just won't do it.

  1938. #1938Truck Shop2023-08-02 22:34

    Working for the company store-and how long has that game been going on.

  1939. #1939Hallback2023-08-03 09:19

    Far too long and you see it all the time guys do it so they can " get their foot in the door ". And not to sound arrogant but I have talent and skills that the majority of loggers today do not have so I'm not going to use them or teach them for free.

  1940. #1940Welder Dave2023-08-03 16:59

    I think a lot of older logging operations had to go through a lot of changes in the industry and recessions and are lucky they survived. Lots didn't. The new guys haven't gone through hard times yet so have no idea how difficult it is to survive when things get tough. Wait till their machines need some extensive maintenance and repairs. It's easy cruising along with new machines but eventually they all break down. You need to make enough to get through the tough times.

  1941. #1941Truck Shop2023-08-06 14:21
  1942. #1942Truck Shop2023-08-27 12:57

    2023 Brooks show, my photos.

  1943. #1943JPV2023-08-27 13:11

    I was there yesterday. My dad and I took Robby's A Model down, it is a log truck but has the fifth wheel on it for now so I guess it is legal to post it here. Lots of great trucks, not enough time to see everything there in one day!

  1944. #1944Truck Shop2023-08-27 13:34

    I probably past right by you some where on the grounds. About the only long hood I shot. *

  1945. #1945JPV2023-08-27 13:46

    Dang, would have been fun to catch you!

  1946. #1946Truck Shop2023-08-27 13:56

    I was the easy one to pick out of the total crowd-crusty sweat soaked KW hat faded black jeans with a faded crimson tee shirt carrying a black sweat shirt- the reason I would have been easy to distinguish---------------I was about the only one that wasn't wearing a shirt with screen print on it.

  1947. #1947Truck Shop2023-08-27 20:19

    Brooks. *

  1948. #1948Welder Dave2023-08-27 21:52

    It would have been neat if your long hood Mack would have been there. It is every bit as cool as the other trucks there.

  1949. #1949Hallback2023-09-17 09:36

    We Must have run out of log trucks.

  1950. #1950Hallback2023-09-17 09:38
  1951. #1951Truck Shop2023-09-17 09:53

    Yes, they are all scrapped.

  1952. #1952skadill2023-09-17 11:30
  1953. #1953Truck Shop2023-09-17 21:42

    WWII manufacturing allotment for civilian use, everything else which is not listed went to war effort Kenworth moved production to Yakima Wa from 42 to 45 because Seattle plant was producing military trucks and airplane parts. Below is a list of national production numbers for 1944. Most all of Kenworth and Peterbilt production went to logging, because wood was a #1 much needed commodity during the war. Any Kenworth or Pete built in this time period is a rare item today. *

  1954. #1954Welder Dave2023-09-18 00:15

    Never heard of some of those brands. Would Koehring be just a carrier for some type of equipment?

  1955. #1955Truck Shop2023-09-18 17:43

    Correct-built units incorporating cranes, shovels. Also built a construction site hauler called a Dumptor. Linn built a halftrack truck, Corbitt, Doane and Walter built trucks/semi tractors. Doane died early after war.

  1956. #1956dust eater2023-09-26 08:02

    Thanks for keeping this thread alive guys. I travel a lot, but it is always one of my first clicks when I get home

  1957. #1957skadill2023-09-26 23:41
  1958. #1958Truck Shop2023-10-02 21:39

    Post war Sterling, Vancouver Is. 1947.

  1959. #1959Jumbo2023-10-02 23:39

    Post war Sterling, Vancouver Is. 1947. Interesting seeing what appears to be a two way radio antenna in 1947.

  1960. #1960Truck Shop2023-10-03 07:35

    Beats the crap out of me, Came from photos marked 47.

  1961. #1961Jumbo2023-10-03 10:26

    My first thought was they were moving ahead faster than we were here in the US. My second thought was that was a pretty rugged radio to survive in a truck like that. I know transistors were used back then, but they were moderately expensive. Pretty cool to see such progress. I also liked what appears to be a shop built spark arrestor on the exhaust.

  1962. #1962Mike L2023-10-03 20:16

    I wonder if the dashboard in those trucks fell on the floor like the newer models?

  1963. #1963Truck Shop2023-10-03 21:21

    Sterling was it's own in the those days, not a has been ford conglomeration. Rest assured the dash had about 25 wires in it and was all steel.

  1964. #1964camptramp2023-10-03 22:18

    The M&B on the door stands for MacMillan & Bloedel , a company that was created in 1951 . So the picture is after 1951 . The radio antenna and base look to be like an early CB style. Most Trucks and Machinery of that era had "straight pipes" , due to fire hazards during Fire Season ( May - October ) Trucks and Machinery were reguired by Forest Service regulations to have Spark Arrestors on exhaust pipes . When mufflers with built in spark arrestors were developed in the 1960's , this policy was changed.

  1965. #1965skadill2023-10-10 22:11
  1966. #1966Truck Shop2023-12-28 18:10
  1967. #1967Jumbo2023-12-28 18:34

    Nice second cuts. I assume the butt cuts were earlier in the parade.

  1968. #1968Truck Shop2023-12-30 09:34
  1969. #1969mowingman2023-12-30 09:51

    Now that looks safe. What could possibly go wrong?

  1970. #1970Truck Shop2023-12-30 21:47

    That guy couldn't give a crap he just wants those logs down the mountain. lol

  1971. #1971Hallback2023-12-30 22:57

    Production first, production second and keep the equipment running third. There's no safety in those top three.

  1972. #1972camptramp2023-12-30 23:10

    Some outfits started out on a low budget , a little haywire with less than premium equipment . Some survived and prospered . Some went broke and fell to the way side or worst . To appreciate what these fellows accomplished with what they had to work with , one would have had to work through the 1930's and 1940's in the "Woods" .

  1973. #1973Jumbo2023-12-30 23:32

    Judging from the trees in the background, it's Mississippi, Alabama or some similar southern tier state. There are no mountains. As far as safety goes though, he is operating a truck with cutting edge AC (pun intended) to combat the heat and humidity of those states. It does a great job of fending off heat stroke.

  1974. #1974JaredV2023-12-30 23:48

    That stuff he's hauling was considered dog hair in the PNW and wasn't worth much so I think Jumbo is right.

  1975. #1975Truck Shop2023-12-31 05:20

    One photo five replies, to me it's a guy working his *** off no matter where he's at.

  1976. #1976Hallback2023-12-31 10:02

    That's what I got out of it too, the man is making forward progress so nobody should be knocking him. I started out with $643, a worn out Toyota pickup and a chainsaw. Unless you have somebody giving you a handout everyone starts at the bottom with the bottom level gear.

  1977. #1977Truck Shop2023-12-31 10:15

    In the early 80's I was between jobs, this guy I knew was a old faller. He had been injured and hadn't worked for sometime. He knew of a stand of Larch in a area he had worked years before. He had the saws I had the the 2 ton, we hauled 6 cored a day out and it was a distance to get there. But that guy knew how to fall a tree, he had a few photos of when he worked the Olympic Peninsula and the Oregon/Washington coast in the early 60's.

  1978. #1978Hallback2023-12-31 11:25

    You got to do whatever you can do to get by. Unfortunately today's society just wants to give you an EBT card and get your vote.

  1979. #1979dirty4fun2024-01-01 21:23

    As a rancher told me when we were looking at his cattle. "I started with nothing and have most of it left." Pretty much where I was when I started in construction, then excavation. Would work all week during the day for one fellow, evenings on jobs I had and weekends helping a fellow move large manufacturing machinery. You did what it takes to get things done. OSHA would of had a field day with us some times. Like picking up one fork truck sideways and using it to pick up a part of a machine that the other one couldn't get to. After growing up on the farm you worked everyday, so it just seemed normal to me. Taught me how to work, and still enjoy working when most all of my classmates have been retired for 10 years.

  1980. #1980Hallback2024-01-02 08:56

    Ol' boy was correct, by the time all of this is done and over with I'll still have nothing but I'll have at least passed my 60 years of working time doing something that I enjoyed.

  1981. #1981Truck Shop2024-01-02 09:12

    In most cases I don't have pot to **** in or a window to throw it out of when compared to most people, but I'm not not most people either. Some of the most unhappy people I know are the most well off, miserable they are and can't see it for the trees.

  1982. #1982Welder Dave2024-01-02 13:55

    The old question of what is better. Poor and happy or rich and miserable. I'm hoping I end up somewhere in the middle. I was never a "keeping up with Jones" type of person.

  1983. #1983Truck Shop2024-01-04 17:51
  1984. #1984Hallback2024-01-08 07:54

    That the D O.T. behind him?

  1985. #1985Truck Shop2024-01-08 08:16

    Don't think so.

  1986. #1986dust eater2024-01-08 08:48

    if some one drove through town with that load now a days the D O T would be the last in line of alphabet agencies

  1987. #1987camptramp2024-01-08 18:51

    That is a well built load , done by a loader that knew his stuff . It is also parked on a gravel surface , probably an industrial haul road through a camp . It looks a little high for clearance passing under Telephone and Hydro Lines .

  1988. #1988Hallback2024-01-08 19:21

    Looks like to be a mill yard setting, look at all the infrastructure around there all paid for by the logs. Now you'll be lucky to pay your fuel bill with logs

  1989. #1989Jumbo2024-01-08 19:30

    Looking at the RT rear, you can see someone looking at the trailer. In the far background, the multistory building looks like the old White River Timber Company (Weyerhaeuser) office building.

  1990. #1990kshansen2024-01-08 19:38

    Gee, I thought that was a load of fire wood I had ordered! Guess my 14 inch Homelite saw will need a longer bar!

  1991. #1991Truck Shop2024-01-08 20:01

    After WWII and the GI bill--a typical housing tract in the U.S.. Then came foreign competition in just about every product line. My house was built in 1949, still have the plans to it. Allot of wood went into this house, nice wood too. Custom built 1200 up 1200 down, two fire places built in closets in both bedrooms built in hutch in kitchen with hardwood floors single car garage, Cost was $7,900. Don't build them like this anymore, haven't for a long time. *

  1992. #1992Welder Dave2024-01-08 20:16

    My dad and some friends built a house after the war. He used to say the premium lumber today was the economy grade back then.

  1993. #1993Welder Dave2024-01-08 20:28

    Those Pan American vans look like the cats meow for moving. Look longer than today's vans. Looks like the kids on the side are trying to go for a ride kind of like grabbing onto a bus bumper on a snowy road. I remember a few guys did that back in the day. One time at a bus stop a couple guys grabbed on and the bus driver not only stopped but he backed up. Yeah, the guys shouldn't be skiing behind the bus but what was the bus driver thinking when he backed up? What if one the kids was injured from his backing up? Seemed like not a very good decision on the bus drivers part. He could have been in some serious trouble had anyone been injured or worse. Two wrongs don't make a right.

  1994. #1994Truck Shop2024-01-10 15:04

    Here's couple guy's bustin ***. Knox-Martin tractor circa 1914, converted to haul logs. Were normally used in fire department ladder trucks. The star sticking straight up above the front wheel was supposedly to let the river know the direction of wheel because it rotated with it. I found only one other picture of these trucks.. *

  1995. #1995Truck Shop2024-01-10 20:51

    Imagine arm wrestling the guy who drives this tiller/tricycle steered monster, I think he could rip your arm off and stick up your ***. Had to be a wrist breaking SOB. *

  1996. #1996Jumbo2024-01-13 01:51

    And then realize the guy is only about 5'6" the average height in those days.

  1997. #1997camptramp2024-01-13 13:24

    Some of the toughest men I've known and worked with weren't necessarily big or tall in stature . But most men growing up of that generation were doing "chores" and "manual labour" from an early age . And didn't pay to work out in a modern gym in their leisure hours , if they had any .

  1998. #1998skyking12024-01-13 14:52

    Calvin Kilpatrick was the catskinner my dad worked with when I was just a pup. He did some falling in the 60's too. I remember him stopping by the house in 1972 when we were tearing off the 3 tab and replacing it. he stepped up to the truck, grabbed (2) 80 pound bundles and scaled the ladder like it was a sidewalk. He was about 6' and lanky, and looked to be fashioned from rawhide. I was only 12, but my older brothers were 16 and 20, and their jaws just dropped. They did build them tougher back then. He is closing in on 95 years old and still in the same house down the road.

  1999. #1999Jumbo2024-01-13 17:52

    You mentioned "leisure hours." I don't think leisure was invented until the late '50s early '60s.

  2000. #2000camptramp2024-01-13 22:13

    My most humble apology's , I was being sarcastic about the leisure thing . When I was a "kid" , if you went to a gym after work to "work out" , the crew would have run you off for dragging your *** on the job.

  2001. #2001Jumbo2024-01-13 22:48

    I was laughing when I read your initial comment, so I had to make a similar retort. No need to apologize . When we were "kids" gyms were where professional boxers worked out. Or, where you danced at school.

  2002. #2002Truck Shop2024-01-19 18:52
  2003. #2003Truck Shop2024-01-22 21:00
  2004. #2004skadill2024-01-22 23:04
  2005. #2005Truck Shop2024-01-24 22:10
  2006. #2006Hayesno12024-01-25 14:39
  2007. #2007Hayesno12024-01-25 14:40
  2008. #2008Hayesno12024-01-25 14:46

    Last for today

  2009. #2009Truck Shop2024-01-25 19:53

    1950.

  2010. #2010Mike L2024-01-25 20:50

    If peterbilt would build something like this nowadays they’d be back ordered for years

  2011. #2011Truck Shop2024-01-25 21:05

    That's a nice thought/idea but off the mark----That pete in today's market, it was a hand full to drive, Hall Scott powered, 5 X 4 gear boxes, no power steering, no ac and damn little heat. Plus noisy as hell, if we are going to go back in time then we really go back to the actual thing, not a modernized version. pete really is more into OTR type trucks, that's where their game/ money is made. Vocational not so much. But the Irony of the truck above the man it's named after {T.A. Peterman} of Morton Washington, he was in the logging business and wanted his own brand built his way. Yes Peterbilt started in Washington State as a log truck, and ended up mainly as a OTR choice. And moved from Newark Ca. to the state of armadillos, Denton Tx. isn't any trees to be logged in Texas, Irony.

  2012. #2012Alusium2024-01-25 21:47

    I put 4 27’s on a bunk lay once. Was told not to do that again. It was just under 10k bf. 32,798 bf is…

  2013. #2013Jumbo2024-01-26 00:05

    The first truck I was told was called the "Skate Creek Diesel Log Truck." Peterman as I was told didn't really want his name on the truck. Peterman was logging the Skate Creek drainage and hauling down to the Milwaukee RR reload at National. Then out to his mill in Tacoma. As a kid I got to hear quite a few interesting stories at the Mineral Tavern. The only age requirement there was to be able to reach up and slap two quarters on the bar for a schooner of Heidelberg. However, being the cheapskate I am it was usually a dime for a Coke.

  2014. #2014Truck Shop2024-01-26 07:36

    Fageol went out of business Jan 1 1939, Sterling bought Fageol for about 5 cents on the dollar. Sterling then sold the remainder two months later to Peterman for $50,000. Below is from best of records by a known Peterbilt aficionado one of the first if not the first Pete built in 1939. *

  2015. #2015Hallback2024-01-26 08:25

    My mothers first husband was Richard Peterman, son of TA. Unfortunately they divorced before I was born, oh how I wonder what my life would have been like with him as my father. My mother was 17 and married for money. She quickly realized that money didn't make happiness. But growing up in Morton the daughter of a Timber faller It seemed like a great life. He did give her a 1967 L89 Corvette as a birthday gift since they were both into drag racing. I've often wondered what he is up to now or if he is still alive even.

  2016. #2016Hallback2024-01-26 08:27

    Jumbo, We have to be related somehow or you've got to know my family for sure as I've got four generations from that area. As a matter of fact my grandparents house burned down that was right across the street from the mineral tavern in the '60s. Two whole blocks burned. My other grandparents owned the Elbe tavern as well.

  2017. #2017Truck Shop2024-01-26 08:28

    Note the small radiator on one in photo above, early low mount. This one is a post war high mount larger radiator. Low/high has to do with body mounting. *

  2018. #2018mowingman2024-01-26 08:47

    Yep, that Peterbilt plant in Denton is really something to see. Plus huge amounts of trucks parked everywhere, just waiting to ship. I worked in and around the Denton plant on and off for 45 years.

  2019. #2019Oxbow2024-01-26 09:14

    Heidelberg..........I haven't seen that name for awhile!

  2020. #2020Truck Shop2024-01-26 15:56

    Falstaff, Lucky and Old Bavarian.

  2021. #2021Alusium2024-01-26 21:44

    Is that a pup behind that new Pete?

  2022. #2022Jumbo2024-01-26 21:59

    I suspect it is a full load of 32's. (Compared to the camp building alongside it.) Typical loggers, load everything up until it breaks, fix it and back off just a hair.

  2023. #2023Alusium2024-01-27 22:16

    If you fix it it should be good for a few more pounds… I’m referring to the log behind, at a 45° angle to the load on the first Pete. Maybe they have a truck tucked into the back of that load?

  2024. #2024Jumbo2024-01-27 23:33

    Nope, that is a full load, 32s perhaps but a full load. Now, when you refer to a pup, I immediately think of a short logger trailer. What I'm seeing is two long log loads powered by the Pete in the foreground. You didn't need a lot of power, there was no adverse in those days it was always favorable grade. You just needed good brakes. I think we might be saying the same thing, just using different nomenclature.

  2025. #2025Hayesno12024-01-28 17:58

    How about this old GMC 620 from Oregon

  2026. #2026Truck Shop2024-01-28 18:26

    With a whopping 4-71 for power-it was a all day event.

  2027. #2027skadill2024-01-28 18:31
  2028. #2028Truck Shop2024-01-28 18:50

    This 860 hauled milled lumber most of it's life. *

  2029. #2029Former Wrench2024-01-29 14:18

    I'd say 6-71, 2 valve head, 5 & 4 with a tall gear ratio.

  2030. #2030Alusium2024-01-29 16:29

    Looking at this again…that bunk/wing log on the new pete appears to be well over 64’ long if the other “long logs” are 32’.

  2031. #2031Truck Shop2024-01-29 17:29

    Well how about splitting the difference a 5-71--it's just another detroit powered jimmy-most all 620's had 4-71's. Most 860's had 6-71's.

  2032. #2032Truck Shop2024-01-29 18:42

    And the guessing game of what brand this truck is? *

  2033. #2033skadill2024-01-31 20:53
  2034. #2034Truck Shop2024-01-31 21:48

    Not sure but I think these two photos belong together. It's a IH West Coaster. *

  2035. #2035Pops522024-01-31 22:17

    What do you reckon a log like that weighs?

  2036. #2036Hallback2024-01-31 22:30

    I'm betting there's about 18,000 board feet in that log so you're looking at about a 55,000 lb log

  2037. #2037Jumbo2024-01-31 22:36

    Based on the idea that it is a coast grown Douglas Fir (guy is wearing rain gear like he lives in it) and it is a 32' log 96" both ends, no taper, the calculator says it is 79,184 pounds. Which seems a little heavy for the era. ('50s, early '60s) 68,000 being the "normal" weight with a permit allowing up to 72,000. But, if it is a Saturday, who knows....

  2038. #2038bccat2024-02-01 12:32

    International TD-24 doing the pulling,

  2039. #2039Former Wrench2024-02-01 20:53

    I noticed when I drove by today that your shop looked like a ghost town. Is all OK?

  2040. #2040Hallback2024-02-01 21:22

    I'll be pulling the sign off the building tomorrow, we're all done there. Hopefully I'll be throwing my equipment on a lowboy the end of the month headed for Idaho

  2041. #2041Truck Shop2024-02-01 21:37

    Won't be to far of a drive to go bug you!

  2042. #2042Hayesno12024-02-04 03:17

    I would say a Hayes from the 30’s

  2043. #2043Truck Shop2024-02-05 17:47

    29 or 30 Fageol. *

  2044. #2044Truck Shop2024-02-05 18:03

    This is a 1929-31 Kenworth-Radiators bulged out at the top corners/curve on the KW. *

  2045. #2045mekanik2024-02-05 20:00

    Water tank on the roof?

  2046. #2046Truck Shop2024-02-05 21:10

    Correct.

  2047. #2047skadill2024-02-05 22:24
  2048. #2048skadill2024-02-07 00:31
  2049. #2049Truck Shop2024-02-07 08:54
  2050. #2050Truck Shop2024-02-09 07:20
  2051. #2051Truck Shop2024-02-09 21:11

    Darington Wa. *

  2052. #2052camptramp2024-02-09 23:56

    Nice load , nice Fir Logs . The "good old days" .

  2053. #2053Truck Shop2024-02-11 10:52

    Pete 381's--mill at Bend Ore. *

  2054. #2054Truck Shop2024-02-15 20:51

    Even a Dodge NC1000-220 Cummins. *

  2055. #2055Truck Shop2024-02-15 20:52

    With twice pipes. *

  2056. #2056skadill2024-02-15 23:02
  2057. #2057Truck Shop2024-02-16 07:18

    Funny how geographically people see things---that Dodge I posted above was a loved pile on the east coast. Especially in the Carolinas along with Jimmy's and Fords. Terrible trucks to work on and or drive.

  2058. #2058Hallback2024-02-16 07:54

    I'd chop off what's left of my nuts for this truck!

  2059. #2059Truck Shop2024-02-16 08:00

    Here's the last LT built, just needs some logging gear. *

  2060. #2060Hallback2024-02-16 09:20

    Was that one of your builds also?

  2061. #2061Truck Shop2024-02-16 10:15

    No.

  2062. #2062skadill2024-02-17 00:32
  2063. #2063chris berlin2024-02-17 16:12

    Hi, have a question about the log bunks. I heard that on highway trucks they are about 8ft wide and off highway trucks about 10 ft. If highway trucks where used off highway only would they widen the log bunks or keep them the way they where .....

  2064. #2064skyking12024-02-17 19:18

    everything about the off highway trucks is wider, bigger, heavier.

  2065. #206592U 34062024-02-17 19:50

    8'6 on modern stuff I believe. Have heard BC has allowed 9' wide on certain routes?

  2066. #206692U 34062024-02-17 19:58

    I wish I had a camera when I was a kid. I'd have had albums full of logging action from Blue River all the way down to the Shuswap.

  2067. #2067Hank R2024-02-17 21:33

    Around Princeton all highway trucks are 9' wide

  2068. #2068Hallback2024-02-17 22:20

    8'6" in the states

  2069. #2069skadill2024-02-17 23:32
  2070. #2070chris berlin2024-02-18 01:52

    Thanks, appreciate all the info !

  2071. #2071Truck Shop2024-02-19 19:29
  2072. #2072Truck Shop2024-02-19 19:31
  2073. #2073chris berlin2024-02-19 20:36

    ...amazing pictures !

  2074. #2074Truck Shop2024-02-20 19:54

    Oregon trucks from another page, nmp. *

  2075. #2075Truck Shop2024-02-22 21:39
  2076. #2076JaredV2024-02-22 22:15

    War surplus Diamond T?

  2077. #2077Truck Shop2024-02-23 01:36

    Yes--a very abused 40's military Diamond T, and the {term-prime mover} came from the U.S. Army. That is what the "T" above is a Army Prime mover, only this one is a rag top.

  2078. #2078Truck Shop2024-02-23 19:54

    Basically one of these. *

  2079. #2079Truck Shop2024-02-24 14:47

    Remember this Chevrolet ad from 1974? *

  2080. #2080Jumbo2024-02-24 14:56

    I've never seen that one. So, he is "pulling" down grade in pine country. Just what are they using for brakes? Or, is it just a static photo shot?

  2081. #2081Truck Shop2024-02-24 15:36

    It moved about 250', slow probably 5 mph in low range. almost flat ground. It was done by a hollywood stunt company for the ad, at the rear trailer it had a choker cable tied off as a dead man stop. People say it couldn't happen in todays world, it's just a static rolling load. Hell I pulled a loaded T600 80K off the highway setting in a left had turn lane with a exploded Cat injection pump. And it was on a slight super to pull it up. Moved it with 150 Dodge 318 in low range. The one below. *

  2082. #208292U 34062024-02-24 15:49
  2083. #2083Jumbo2024-02-24 15:51

    Braking was my real curiosity. The photo from the background was just south of the old Jennings reload headed towards Ripley north of Libby MT. There is a photo of a '75(?) Pete pulling a 10 trailer train on the same mainline. it is something like a .02% favorable down to Libby. the background is almost identical. You can see the photo in several locations in Libby. I think the photo is somewhere here in the archives of HEF.

  2084. #2084Truck Shop2024-02-24 16:24

    Right here in my Archives. It actually took place twice in Montana, some years apart. The first is a 1971 or 72 Pete the other is a 1965 IIRC. *

  2085. #2085Truck Shop2024-02-24 16:26

    Close together to compare.

  2086. #2086Truck Shop2024-02-24 16:32

    IIRC each trailer was precharged with air and a main tank with hand valve was used.

  2087. #2087Truck Shop2024-02-25 17:41
  2088. #2088chris berlin2024-02-25 18:24

    that is so cool.....! thanks for sharing...

  2089. #2089chris berlin2024-02-25 18:26

    I was wondering...was this normal or just put together for show?

  2090. #2090Truck Shop2024-02-25 18:43

    Just a one time stunt to prove basically nothing.

  2091. #2091Truck Shop2024-02-25 20:57

    Doesn't have much to do with logging but another happening that proved much of nothing. I did get away from the dairy when I was a kid and saw him at the Tri-Oval track in Tri Cities around the same year 1967 jump some cars. I thought it was cool then but I was only 11. *

  2092. #2092Truck Shop2024-02-25 21:16
  2093. #2093JaredV2024-02-26 00:06

    What size would those tires be? 12.00-24?

  2094. #2094Welder Dave2024-02-28 00:50

    Wasn't it a Toyota truck pulling a space shuttle in an ad 20 or more years ago? These stupid ads are probably why some people think they can pull 40K loads with a 1 ton. Ever notice when they show a new truck pulling a backhoe or dozer it's always off road and never on the highway?? Makes you go hmmm.

  2095. #2095chris berlin2024-02-28 08:53

    It only pulled it over the bridge crossing the 405 freeway ! The really STUPID thing is the fact that the shuttle had to be moved from the self propelled platform trailers on to this idiotic dolly setup...reason...California Bridge laws are still in the last century....a trailer that brings less load on the road per wheel than a car can not cross the bridge...but this contraption with a much higher load per wheel can....

  2096. #2096skadill2024-03-01 21:31
  2097. #2097Truck Shop2024-03-01 21:50

    That's a nice low cab. *

  2098. #209892U 34062024-03-01 22:37

    Sun Trucking. Haven't seen them around in years. Used to see them up around Ft Mac and Athabasca all the time.

  2099. #2099Welder Dave2024-03-02 02:22

    Are the louvered side panels custom?

  2100. #2100Truck Shop2024-03-02 19:08

    correct.

  2101. #2101Truck Shop2024-03-02 19:12

    That orange and white Hayes with sleeper looks like Trevor Cameron's/I think that is the right name.

  2102. #2102skadill2024-03-06 21:44
  2103. #2103Hallback2024-03-11 23:24

    I'm sure this thing's hauled some log product at one point in its life.

  2104. #2104Truck Shop2024-03-12 16:38

    Looks like the east side---hyw 26? Nice A.

  2105. #210592U 34062024-03-12 22:10

    Those lift axles just look so out of place to me. I understand why they're on the trucks/trailers, just looks odd when you never see them IRL.

  2106. #2106Hallback2024-03-12 22:43

    Yes sir, right as you cross the Columbia at vantage and hang a right onto 26

  2107. #2107Truck Shop2024-03-13 08:55

    Thought so.

  2108. #2108Hayesno12024-03-14 17:56

    Correct - I just found one of my old books - Relics on the road #2 - and for sure many great pictures show that curved rad and bumper with holes. Great picture

  2109. #2109Truck Shop2024-03-14 18:14

    A neighbor of my brother who lived on Mercer Island was a engineer for Kenworth from 1938 to 1973. He worked all design departments but mainly off road oil field. I visited him on three occasions, part of his house was a privet archive of Kenworth. Learned allot about the old way of doing things at KW before Piggot bought them in 1946/PacCar. Funny thing was a copy of that photo was hanging in that archive room.

  2110. #2110Hayesno12024-03-14 18:33

    I remember taking that picture of the green Pacific P500S in 2005. As usual I asked for permission to take picture and I got it but sadly that guy was smoking some “sweet” stuff…

  2111. #2111skadill2024-03-18 00:08
  2112. #2112Truck Shop2024-03-18 22:13

    That's a nice looking Super Liner.

  2113. #2113Welder Dave2024-03-18 22:53

    The older trucks looked a lot better than most of the new models. Some newer trucks look downright fugly.

  2114. #2114Truck Shop2024-03-19 09:43

    1949 Pete 381.

  2115. #2115Truck Shop2024-03-23 20:30

    Line up of Diamond T's Circa mid 50's. *

  2116. #2116Truck Shop2024-04-01 20:58

    1946 Autocar-not much of a load but a good photo. *

  2117. #2117Truck Shop2024-04-14 15:49

    What's that term----back in the day. *

  2118. #211892U 34062024-04-14 15:56

    Is that its load or its fuel?

  2119. #2119Truck Shop2024-04-14 17:01

    Both.

  2120. #2120Jumbo2024-04-14 17:39

    Looking at the Reading Railroad boxcar in the background makes me wonder if those aren't mine stulls for the coal mines of Pennsylvania, Ohio or someplace similar.

  2121. #2121Mike L2024-04-14 20:03

    Use what you need for fuel and sell the rest at the mill. Don’t forget return fuel!

  2122. #2122Hank R2024-04-15 10:58

    Cold be a small verson TS found ot this one

  2123. #2123mowingman2024-04-15 12:40

    Interesting tag. I bought 3 Euclid belly dumps from Mussens back in about 1987.

  2124. #2124Truck Shop2024-04-17 08:25
  2125. #2125Truck Shop2024-04-17 17:47

    NMP, Clatskanie Or. *

  2126. #2126Truck Shop2024-04-18 18:28

    NMP. *

  2127. #2127Hank R2024-04-20 11:01

    Dale Arden

  2128. #2128Hank R2024-04-20 11:07

    ARLA Trucking (Mount Sicker Lumber) Do not know the trucking company name

  2129. #2129Hank R2024-04-20 11:15

    Port Renfrew Trucking

  2130. #2130Truck Shop2024-04-20 21:22
  2131. #2131camptramp2024-04-20 23:31

    Nice stick of wood . Looks like the crew got a little creative to load it on the truck . Hope the truck didn't end up broken .

  2132. #2132Hank R2024-04-21 14:11

    Ken Logan Bob James

  2133. #2133Truck Shop2024-04-26 19:38
  2134. #2134Hallback2024-04-29 10:32

    Test

  2135. #2135Truck Shop2024-04-29 14:41

    Just where about are you-nearest town?

  2136. #213692U 34062024-04-29 15:21

    I wish they still hauled long logs up here. Super B's and quads don't look nearly as cool.

  2137. #2137Hallback2024-04-30 00:19

    Elk River

  2138. #2138Truck Shop2024-05-01 14:50

    Yes, that's a quaint little place east of Deary, I think at last count there were 500 firearms per household. Went there with a guy to haul a 50 chevy back about 15-16 years ago.

  2139. #2139Mike L2024-05-01 18:43

    Only 500 firearms per household? Why so low?

  2140. #2140Truck Shop2024-05-01 19:05

    bow and arrow is plenty.

  2141. #2141Mike L2024-05-01 19:12

    Fester sticks. Not a fan.

  2142. #2142Truck Shop2024-05-01 19:16

    Well I only have one .475 linebaugh--and I don't really need that. If someone wants to rob the house---Ill show them everything is worn out and even make them a sandwich if they have time to wait.

  2143. #2143Hallback2024-05-01 23:28

    I was looking at a shop right outside of Deary. It's the old Alpine trailers shop. 17 acres, two buildings and wash pad etc. They want $2 million bucks for it though and there's not even an overhead crane. Pretty steep if you ask me?

  2144. #2144Truck Shop2024-05-02 13:34

    Would you be surprised if it wasn't overpriced considering the area. In some cases {most all} commercial property around here is not far off from the westside. Most of it is way over valued because of wineries.

  2145. #2145Hank R2024-05-02 14:48

    Around our area fruit orchards, are disappearing. And most are now growing grapes, old Cherry, peaches and apple trees are gone. Land prices way up.

  2146. #2146Welder Dave2024-05-02 19:25

    If there's a demand for certain types of land prices can be crazy.

  2147. #2147Hallback2024-05-02 23:56

    I sold my shop on the westside which was 8,400 ft² with a 10 ton overhead crane on 2.8 acres of commercial, permitted wash rack and fully fenced and gated for 575k.

  2148. #214892U 34062024-05-03 00:06

    I believe some long ago relatives of mine had a small orchard in the South Okanagan. Its highway now I think.

  2149. #2149Truck Shop2024-05-03 12:59

    This area was the pea capital of the U.S. at one time. There were 4 major canneries here, all long gone. Milton Freewater had you name it in produce and vegetables long gone. Still some apple and cherry orchards, but most has been taken over by grapes for wineries. The Walla Walla Sweet Onions are still a major crop though. Still some asparagus too. *

  2150. #2150Hank R2024-05-04 18:28

    From Vancouver Island 2002

  2151. #2151Truck Shop2024-05-04 19:22

    You always get good photo shots Hank.

  2152. #2152Hank R2024-05-04 19:29

    Back in the day I had a real camera, Cannon SLR and luck.

  2153. #2153Hallback2024-05-04 21:55

    Hope those grapples never bled off.

  2154. #215492U 34062024-05-04 22:22

    Have anything from up in the North Thompson area in your archives somewhere?

  2155. #2155Hank R2024-05-04 23:17

    Not that I can think off Wife was from Clearwater / Barrier, Just a couple highway trucks and father in Laws KB11 logger.

  2156. #215692U 34062024-05-04 23:23

    I grew up in that area. Beautiful spot but sadly since the mills pulled out of Vavenby there's not much around there for work that'll support a family anymore.

  2157. #2157Hank R2024-05-04 23:31

    North Barrier area of BC 49 or 50. He bought truck new in Williams Lake hauled gravel for a year or so then went logging near Barrier.

  2158. #2158camptramp2024-05-05 00:09

    The load on that first picture looks a little side heavy . Did Ken Ganton work up that way ?

  2159. #2159Hank R2024-05-05 07:41

    Ken stayed on the Island and worked there, Bob and George moved up to Barrier where John was with his IH. John said that was the the only load he lost the cheese block let go.

  2160. #2160Hank R2024-05-05 11:51
  2161. #2161Truck Shop2024-05-08 22:52
  2162. #2162Truck Shop2024-05-10 21:14

    Not sure about the 22-32.

  2163. #2163BC Placer gold2024-05-10 21:24

    Drive hwy 24 a fair bit, that is a big descent….down into Little Fort…saw a truck tipped over back in 2005 on one of the run-away lanes. Really nice scenery up on the plateau.

  2164. #216492U 34062024-05-10 21:42

    Its a beautiful area but I had to get out of there. Just very little opportunity for anyone who wants to make something of themselves. 24 is interesting, there's passing areas for passing all the trucks going slow down the hill. Can't say I've seen that on any other road in BC.

  2165. #2165BC Placer gold2024-05-10 21:46

    You are right, the downhill passing lanes are uncommon….

  2166. #2166Truck Shop2024-05-10 21:55

    Never got that far north, Mainly up 97 to Kamloops.

  2167. #216792U 34062024-05-10 22:01

    You're missing out. Barriere and north to Valemount is amazing. I used to sled up around Avola and the mountaintop views are absolutely incredible.

  2168. #216892U 34062024-05-11 08:44

    Got plenty of mountain top views from the passenger seat of a logging truck too. I've said it before but the only way you'd probably ever get me into the driver's seat is if its a logging truck or a lowbed/hiboy The idea of pulling a van or a tanker OTR has next to zero appeal to me.

  2169. #2169Truck Shop2024-05-11 19:13
  2170. #2170Hank R2024-05-12 11:12

    Took these in 2916 Salem Oregon. What impressed me was trailer was not bend up and no signs of ever been welded. But do not know how well it worked as there was no compenstor, so my pea brain can not see how one can turn any corners??? I do not know why I did not get any better pictures, Me Bad.

  2171. #217192U 34062024-05-12 11:17

    How did it even manage to turn? It looks like both bunks are mounted solid to the frames. What am I missing here?

  2172. #2172JaredV2024-05-12 11:31

    Unclamp the reach when you're loaded and let it do the compensating. But yeah, the bunks are fixed. Maybe for a one log load they didn't worry about it?

  2173. #2173skadill2024-05-12 16:10

    Colorized info video on same subject

  2174. #2174Hallback2024-05-12 17:41

    Oh yes Kenny Hull, part of the Hull and Oakes lumber mill family

  2175. #2175Mike L2024-05-12 20:33

    hall and Oates? I never knewed they were in the woods business!

  2176. #2176Pops522024-05-12 22:55

    I sold an NHRS320 to David Hull several years ago. Logger. Gotta be related.

  2177. #2177Hallback2024-05-12 23:38

    If he was from Oregon he was

  2178. #2178Truck Shop2024-05-13 07:10

    Yeah their all related----great grand masters and imperial grand wizards of the Oregon ATHS chapters.

  2179. #2179Hank R2024-05-14 22:11

    Newer Cornbinder

  2180. #2180Truck Shop2024-05-15 16:44
  2181. #2181camptramp2024-05-15 19:54

    Gordon Franklin Collection (off an old news paper clipping)

  2182. #2182Hank R2024-05-18 22:38
  2183. #218392U 34062024-05-20 04:24
  2184. #2184Hallback2024-06-29 00:14
  2185. #2185Mike L2024-06-29 07:12

    That color is hot!

  2186. #2186Hallback2024-07-13 13:17
  2187. #2187Truck Shop2024-07-13 18:31

    I gave up on this thread--plus memories for old trucker fart sacks thread.

  2188. #2188Hank R2024-07-27 18:27

    My friend in New Zealand sent to Me.

  2189. #2189Truck Shop2024-07-28 21:24

    LJ Macks and a pre 1947 KW.

  2190. #2190Shop Dweller2024-07-28 21:56

    I followed this driver 5 miles from the job and couldn't get him stopped until I could pass him and stop in front of him. This is tha advantage of nylon straps over chains. If the load slips it gets tighter.

  2191. #2191Jumbo2024-07-28 22:19

    5 Miles????? Apparently people down there don't always have operable mirrors.

  2192. #2192Shop Dweller2024-07-28 22:27

    He is actually my cousin. Worked for me and my dad for 35 years driving those death traps. I asked him once how he could stand pulling those tag alongs and his reply was "I don't look back". I laughed, but now I believe it. The cause was a cloud burst thunderstorm and we are in the mountains so woods road is steep downhill grade. He gets in a hurry and takes off before we could hook a skidder to hold it back. Well it takes off sliding and when it gets to a water break it slows it really fast and thats the result. I hate those trailers but my dad thinks they are the cats meow so whatever I guess. We have had at least 4 come loose from truck over the years. Pintle hooks are no good for everyday constant use. Always weld the nut because they will eventually pull tbe threads if you don't.

  2193. #2193Truck Shop2024-08-16 19:36

    1969 359 little window. *

  2194. #2194RedTruck11002024-08-23 11:52

    This picture is from my dad's album. I think it was taken at Inland Kenworth in Nanaimo, B.C. in the 1970s.

  2195. #2195RedTruck11002024-08-23 12:02

    Forrester Log Hauling 1979-1980. Northern Vancouver Island, B.C.. From my dad's album.

  2196. #2196RedTruck11002024-08-23 12:05

    Hayes Pacific Sales Ltd. Wellington, B.C.

  2197. #2197RedTruck11002024-08-23 12:09

    New Terex logging truck. Nanaimo, B.C. 1970.

  2198. #2198RedTruck11002024-08-23 12:11

    MacMillan Bloedel, Vancouver Island 1979-1980. From my dad's album.

  2199. #2199RedTruck11002024-08-23 12:12

    MacMillan Bloedel, Vancouver Island 1979-1980.

  2200. #2200RedTruck11002024-08-23 16:27

    Stan Zwicker Contracting, Port McNeill, B.C. 1980.

  2201. #2201Truck Shop2024-09-08 19:33

    1947 or so Pete. *

  2202. #2202Truck Shop2024-09-12 18:25
  2203. #2203Truck Shop2024-09-12 19:59

    I'm only looking these days for photos of 1980 and down, the older the better. I like seeing the big wood hauled on the older machines. No fancy wagons back then.

  2204. #2204Truck Shop2024-09-14 19:11
  2205. #2205Truck Shop2024-09-14 19:18
  2206. #2206Truck Shop2024-09-14 19:20

    Morton Wa, 1942. *

  2207. #2207Truck Shop2024-09-15 20:23

    A decent colorized version of a BW photo. *

  2208. #2208Truck Shop2024-09-18 06:51
  2209. #2209Alusium2024-09-18 18:54
  2210. #2210Truck Shop2024-09-19 19:45
  2211. #2211Truck Shop2024-10-11 21:44

    Bill Stuck Photo Collection. *

  2212. #2212Truck Shop2024-10-12 19:17

    Unknown, *

  2213. #2213jim-in-so-ore2024-10-12 23:41

    Rb Slagle local logger from Grants Pass, Oregon I remember correctly all of his trucks were Detroit Diesel powered. Jim

  2214. #2214525isx2024-10-13 12:21

    when log trucker did article on him he had 10 westcoaster internationals w/262's and 10 petes w/335's. had 8 trucks hauling from hyampom,ca to grants pass- had 2 drivers per truck, switched drivers near douglas city,ca. finely hays rode with slagle one trip took around 16 hours from grants pass to hyampom and back. article was in 1976

  2215. #2215Truck Shop2024-10-13 19:59

    Bill Stuck photo IIRC. *

  2216. #2216Truck Shop2024-10-16 21:07

    Unknown. *

  2217. #2217Truck Shop2024-10-26 19:37

    Bob Stack photo----Russian. *

  2218. #2218Alusium2024-10-26 20:41

    Interesting cuts off the stump.

  2219. #2219Truck Shop2024-10-29 17:48

    Bill Stuck photo. *

  2220. #2220Welder Dave2024-10-29 19:47

    What brand of truck is that? It looks newer.

  2221. #2221Truck Shop2024-10-29 19:51

    Probably camptramp can pin it down, it looks to be a refitted HDX to me but I'm not up to snuff on Canadian rides.

  2222. #2222Welder Dave2024-10-29 19:56

    I thought the drop down notch on the door window was after the Hayes and Pacific log trucks.

  2223. #2223skadill2024-10-29 21:39

    Kenworth 850

  2224. #2224Alusium2024-10-29 23:33

    @camptramp

  2225. #2225Welder Dave2024-10-30 00:09

    I thought maybe a KW but maybe from the 90's or later.

  2226. #2226Truck Shop2024-10-30 17:57

    A real early Hayes. *

  2227. #2227Truck Shop2024-10-31 20:00

    Bill Stuck photo. *

  2228. #2228Truck Shop2024-11-01 19:04

    Bill Stuck photo.

  2229. #2229Truck Shop2024-11-01 19:08
  2230. #2230Truck Shop2024-11-02 08:08
  2231. #2231Truck Shop2024-11-02 22:21
  2232. #2232skadill2024-11-02 22:30
  2233. #2233Truck Shop2024-11-02 22:31
  2234. #2234Welder Dave2024-11-02 23:52

    That guy shouldn't be standing there. His hard hat isn't going to protect him if a log slips and falls.

  2235. #2235Hallback2024-11-03 09:48

    He's in front of the bunk by a good bit and will be fine

  2236. #2236Truck Shop2024-11-03 19:31

    Hayes---Bill Stuck photo. *

  2237. #2237Truck Shop2024-11-04 15:08

    60's Autocar. *

  2238. #2238Truck Shop2024-11-06 17:35
  2239. #2239Truck Shop2024-11-06 19:25

    A Linn. Only a few left that run, IIRC. *

  2240. #2240Truck Shop2024-11-06 21:32

    That's a pretty nice road surface for those days. I bet the inside of the wooden cab smelled like old cigars & whiskey farts.

  2241. #2241Birken Vogt2024-11-06 23:30

    Are you familiar with King of Obsolete? He may have more than one, I forget.

  2242. #2242Welder Dave2024-11-06 23:56

    There's a couple Linn's at Leduc West in running condition. Also a Rugby.

  2243. #2243Welder Dave2024-11-07 00:00

    A few very fine older trucks but not log trucks.

  2244. #2244Welder Dave2024-11-07 00:01

    A few more.

  2245. #2245Welder Dave2024-11-07 00:03

    Some more.

  2246. #2246Truck Shop2024-11-07 05:02

    Yes familiar--thing is if anything is less than ten---it's not common, it's rare.

  2247. #2247Hallback2024-11-07 19:46

    It's still log truck related!

  2248. #2248Mike L2024-11-07 19:48

    Max weight is only 70k?

  2249. #2249Oxbow2024-11-07 20:26

    Bridge law I'm guessing.

  2250. #2250Hallback2024-11-07 20:27

    Yeah he's trying to tell me that my bridge was over on axles 3 through 7. I'll be taking this one to court

  2251. #2251Welder Dave2024-11-07 21:47

    That guy looks like the type that WILL find something wrong... whether there is or not.

  2252. #2252Mike L2024-11-08 04:49

    What is the max you are legal to haul out there?

  2253. #2253525isx2024-11-10 08:04

    shortened up for 34's?

  2254. #2254Hallback2024-11-10 09:16

    36's. You know the deal, it seems they make the bridge rule as they go and hope you don't go to court to fight it.

  2255. #2255JaredV2024-11-10 10:29

    I keep a copy of the bridge chart printed off the wa.gov website in the glove box just in case.

  2256. #2256Oxbow2024-11-10 11:07

    Idaho offers a spreadsheet to calculate legal weights on over-80K permits. https://view.officeapps.live.com/op/view.aspx?src=https%3A%2F%2Fapps.itd.idaho.gov%2FApps%2Fdmv-links%2FLegal_Weight_Calculator.xlsx&wdOrigin=BROWSELINK It is pretty handy not only for the legality of specific loads, but when considering configurations on future purchases. Washington probably has the same, but if not it wouldn't be too tough to download this one and modify the parameters to meet Washington laws, assuming that they are different.

  2257. #2257525isx2024-11-10 13:33

    I have 3 length/weight figures I go by- stretched out for 40's 87,500 gross 36's 85,500 gross 34's 83,000 I only have 6 axles.

  2258. #2258Hallback2024-11-10 17:05

    Yeah he's fucked up on this because the drives have a 54-in spread instead of 48 so axles 3, 4 and 5 should be legal for 43,000 then the 34k on the trailer would get me 77k on that. I don't know I think they've got it set up so they can **** ya regardless. Hell he was trying to tell me that my seven axle truck stretched for 40s is only good for 94.5. It's a 270-in wheelbase tractor so he's smoking something

  2259. #2259525isx2024-11-10 18:04

    yes your 3,4,5 are good for 43, but your not long enough on bridge from 3 to 7. when i pull pup, sometimes have to watch trailer tandem and front pup axle- can only have 45 on those 3

  2260. #2260525isx2024-11-10 18:18

    just guessing your bunk is centered at drive tandems or a little ahead of center, you get 12 on steer or a little more?- with 54in spreads, i think you are only good for 95k

  2261. #2261Welder Dave2024-11-10 20:46

    It really sucks when the inspectors don't know the exact rules so try to interpret them to meet their own agenda.

  2262. #2262Truck Shop2024-11-10 20:46

    https://wsdot.wa.gov/publications/manuals/fulltext/M23-09/AxleWeightTable.pdf

  2263. #2263Hallback2024-11-10 21:22

    Bunk is an inch and a half in front of front drive hub center line. If we shove the guts forward I can get 12 and a half or 13 up front

  2264. #2264Hallback2024-11-10 21:23

    That's the crappy part is they even said that a lot of it is up to officer discretion and interpretation

  2265. #2265Hallback2024-11-10 21:27

    This is the part that I don't get though because regardless of this it's still going to be over 70K on that axle group because they have to help carry the load to get it up front even if that makes any sense? I guess I could throw some more air to the rear tag axle and see if that shoves that weight up towards the steer but then that will just load more pressure on that rear tag and still keep my 3 through 7 bridge fouled up wouldn't it? All I know is if I get another ticket that thing is going on my little salesman.

  2266. #2266Truck Shop2024-11-10 22:23

    It's always been a issue--when hauling unfinished product. Dot has always been on loggers just for that reason even with bunk scales, sometimes just can't get close enough to satisfy.

  2267. #2267JaredV2024-11-10 23:24

    If it's throwing weight onto the steer, that is weight transferring off the back so it would help.

  2268. #2268525isx2024-11-11 05:34

    ok- on bridge chart - looks like your max (40's) is 94,000 gross, about 89,500 bunking 36's. the inner bridge is always where you will get in trouble

  2269. #2269Hallback2024-11-11 14:13

    I'll have to measure it again when the trailer is down but I believe I was 62 ft 8 in from center of steer hub to center of rear trailer axle hub so that would put me at 63 ft on the bridge rule so that would be 96.5 at 40 ft

  2270. #2270525isx2024-11-11 18:40

    steer axle to rear trailer is outer bridge. that is not the problem. inner bridge(s) axles 2 thru 7 and 3 thru 7 are where they get you. drawing attached

  2271. #2271Hallback2024-11-11 20:15

    I know that's the outer bridge and I know they're ******* with me on the three through seven bridge.

  2272. #2272Hallback2024-11-11 20:17

    That is a good drawing though

  2273. #2273Truck Shop2024-11-11 21:35

    How did that bridge chart get there? Who did that? Who needs that?

  2274. #2274Truck Shop2024-11-11 21:42

    Play some bridge anyone? By the way Bridge is a complicated card game, designed by the guy who makes bridge laws--To really make things fun bridge laws should be drawn by each county and enforced by each county in every state, with city/county/state weigh cops around every corner all play'n trucker music.

  2275. #2275Alusium2024-11-12 03:03

    What truck is that? In north central washington, one might consider reservations. Sounds like they cracked down recently, once they were off res. Don’t think I’ve ever seen one leave with a “legal” load.

  2276. #2276Truck Shop2024-11-12 05:25

    That's a mid 40's Ford---with the {Jail Bar Grille plus Flathead V-8} probably a 4x3.

  2277. #2277Truck Shop2024-11-12 05:42

    Everything was fine simple till training wheels were added.

  2278. #2278Old Doug2024-11-12 05:56

    I have a small 3 speed Brownie. Dad got it years ago I think he was thinking about the OD.

  2279. #2279Truck Shop2024-12-10 22:06
  2280. #2280Hallback2024-12-20 16:51

    Kick rocks 2024! ✌️

  2281. #2281Truck Shop2024-12-29 19:50

    Bill Stuck photo. *

  2282. #2282camptramp2024-12-29 22:15

    Gordon Franklin Collection A Doman Transport truck hauling scaled and sorted logs from Honeymoon Bay DLS to Shoal Island DLS at Crofton B.C.

  2283. #2283Truck Shop2025-01-02 21:52

    The rare Loco Ford only found in eastern Maine . *

  2284. #2284Jumbo2025-01-02 22:37

    Now that is a rarity. What is the approximate year of the truck and is the a date on the photo? I was under the impression anything to do with rail logging ended in the 1940s. Apparently not.

  2285. #2285camptramp2025-01-03 01:14

    Gordon Franklin Collection

  2286. #2286Mike L2025-01-03 03:45

    Truck shop, do you have any info on the loco ford?

  2287. #2287Truck Shop2025-01-03 10:15

    No info--other than the cab is late 40's real early 50's

  2288. #2288Truck Shop2025-01-03 21:59
  2289. #2289camptramp2025-01-03 22:17

    Gordon Franklin Collection

  2290. #2290Hallback2025-01-03 22:59
  2291. #2291camptramp2025-01-04 00:08

    Nice pin stripes !

  2292. #2292Hallback2025-01-04 13:15

    Thanks! I gotta look good even if I don't know what I'm doing!

  2293. #2293CM19952025-01-04 13:20

    Fake it till you make it!

  2294. #2294camptramp2025-01-04 19:52

    Been there done it . LOL Nice ride to do it in . Happy New Year May the gravel roads be smooth , the logs be lite and the rates be high .

  2295. #2295Hallback2025-01-05 13:43

    Thanks buddy!

  2296. #2296Truck Shop2025-01-05 21:09

    Mama don't allow no fake'n around here, Hallback don't care what mama don't allow he's going to fake it anyhow. * Crummy photo I found of a Star. *

  2297. #2297Truck Shop2025-01-10 20:58

    General Motors. *

  2298. #2298RedTruck11002025-01-11 00:21

    Nanaimo, British Columbia. Appears to be around the mid 1950s.

  2299. #2299camptramp2025-01-11 00:46

    I remember seeing a Gerald Paterson Log Truck beside that shop around 1964 . The truck was a Kenworth and a worker was taking the name off the door . I think that was an International dealership , I suspect that is around the time Paterson started to switch from Kenworths to Internationals . I see a GM car in the foreground , I can't see the tail light's but the roof line is from late 1949 to 1952 . I don't see any newer cars there .

  2300. #2300RedTruck11002025-01-11 13:53

    Here's the same picture that wasn't cropped. Looks like a '52 or '53 Chevy? at the bottom left.

  2301. #2301Hallback2025-01-11 17:09
  2302. #2302camptramp2025-01-11 19:55

    I still miss though's early morning Sun Rises .

  2303. #2303camptramp2025-01-11 19:56

    1953 -54 chev for sure .

  2304. #2304Truck Shop2025-01-11 21:38
  2305. #2305Truck Shop2025-01-12 21:07

    Marmon Herington. *

  2306. #2306Truck Shop2025-01-12 21:30
  2307. #2307Hallback2025-01-12 23:13
  2308. #2308Camshawn2025-01-12 23:28

    I think that happened more than we think back in the day. My Uncle was a lineman and would definitely watch for game while “out” working in the rural areas during hunting season.

  2309. #2309camptramp2025-01-12 23:33

    Northwest Bay Div. was owned by H.R. MacMillan , later M & B ( MacMillan and Bloedel ) and is/was located between Nanoese Bay and Parksville on the East coast of Vancouver Island .

  2310. #2310Truck Shop2025-01-13 04:22

    Little story about hunting and company trucks. Where my wife worked {PP&L} No guns, no ammo, no bow & arrows allowed on company property, that included employees vehicles---along with tobacco products. * When I worked Ag-----One of the service men brings in his truck 89 SD 350, Bunch of work to do. I took it out a drove it first so I knew how it drove before work. Replaced trans & clutch/flywheel, radiator, hoses, power steering pump, front brakes, U-joints, front suspension. I noticed it turned sharper one way not the other, removed steering gear, pitman arm--sector shaft had a twist in the splines. One of the other service guys came in and I showed him the steering gear, {how do you suppose that happened?} Oh so & so likes hunting-especially Coyotes, he ran that into a washout chasing a coyote. Which told the story of the 243 ammo on dash. * Then that fall I decided to take a 5 day vacation to Oregon coast, hunting season. When I came back there were three company 4x4 pickups setting in the lot with hunting damage. ------------- Two with cooked trans issues and one with front end damage. * After my chat with the general manager---all extra use of company trucks came to an end, no firearms allowed in vehicles.

  2311. #2311Hallback2025-01-13 10:16

    I've killed more deer & elk out the window of my crew bus then I ever have beatin' the brush. You got to take the perks of the job right?

  2312. #2312JaredV2025-01-13 10:22

    Some timber companies allow guns and bows in contractor vehicles, but you'd better drive out to the gate and walk back in before you shoot it like everyone else. Then I've heard tell of guys dropping an animal near the rigging and having it yarded out (on ground where that sort of thing was allowed, of course).

  2313. #2313Hallback2025-01-13 15:09

    I definitely don't let anybody know if there's a rifle in my pickup or log truck and handle business as quickly as possible when needed

  2314. #2314Birken Vogt2025-01-13 16:47

    Doe meat & beans, as per Buzz Martin

  2315. #2315Truck Shop2025-01-13 16:49

    Ain't no hunt'n fish'n around here & no beans either.

  2316. #231692U 34062025-01-13 17:10

    Just make sure you vent the bean can before you heat it.

  2317. #2317Birken Vogt2025-01-13 17:34

    Poor folks can't afford beans in a can, we buy them dry in a sack and soak them to make them edible.

  2318. #2318Truck Shop2025-01-13 18:18

    Oh no--those old stationary cabovers had a hatch in the dog house, been many a can of Rosa Rita and Van Camps cooked on the top of a 220 Cummins. And sometimes a few beans got away blasted all over the engine and tunnel.

  2319. #2319Welder Dave2025-01-13 19:53

    Imagine if a can of beans exploded on a hot engine and the truck required some work on it. Mechanic would wonder what animal climbed on the engine and decided to take a dump.

  2320. #2320skadill2025-01-14 00:45
  2321. #2321Hallback2025-01-14 20:00
  2322. #2322Alusium2025-01-14 20:52

    Are those two drop axels on the truck? What is it rated for? Where? Not a bad looking load… 40’?

  2323. #2323Hallback2025-01-15 20:45

    That's a load of 36s but yes double drops. It's good for 96.5 at 40 footers, 92.5 at 36

  2324. #232492U 34062025-01-15 21:29

    How come you can only get another 16.5 gross for 7 axles? Bridge?

  2325. #2325Hallback2025-01-16 22:55

    Yes bridge laws. If I move the bunk back on the truck I can't get enough on the steer so it can get you either way. I prefer the five axle tractor and two axle trailer over a 3-axle trailer as I'd rather pack the weight than pull it.

  2326. #2326Truck Shop2025-01-18 17:18
  2327. #2327Truck Shop2025-02-19 19:44

    A photo I've never seen before. 1941 Pete 354's. *

  2328. #2328Hallback2025-02-19 22:41

    New steers

  2329. #2329JaredV2025-02-19 22:41

    I don't know where they found those logs but it wasn't anywhere near the shop!

  2330. #233092U 34062025-02-19 22:51

    Maybe I'm weird but I think trucks look better with big rubber up front.

  2331. #2331Truck Shop2025-02-20 04:19

    They were---now on the back of those trucks for the photo op.

  2332. #2332Hallback2025-02-20 22:16

    I like the look of it better with a 385s up front. So far the first week with them they seem pretty good. They're nice and smooth and I think they ride a little better. Plus with 13,8 to 14,000 on the steer axle I needed them to be legal

  2333. #2333DMiller2025-02-21 03:55

    Dump trucks I have run of note have them. Typically run 18500-19500 steer.

  2334. #2334Truck Shop2025-04-17 19:01
  2335. #2335Alusium2025-04-17 20:36

    Ben missing these… Neat photo.

  2336. #2336Truck Shop2025-04-17 20:50

    I decided the only photos I will post are pre early 70's. And I won't discuss them.

  2337. #2337Truck Shop2025-04-18 22:03
  2338. #2338DMiller2025-04-19 14:46

    Masters of Ingenuity to move heavy objects NO Cranes.

  2339. #2339Tones2025-04-19 15:41

    Hence Ingenuity is the Mother of Invention.

  2340. #2340Truck Shop2025-04-19 19:38
  2341. #2341DMiller2025-04-19 19:54

    Round Fender Acar

  2342. #2342Truck Shop2025-04-19 20:21

    Too many replies, need to change it up. *

  2343. #2343Welder Dave2025-04-19 20:31

    I'd like to see a video of that crankshaft being machined. Has to need huge machine tools.

  2344. #2344Truck Shop2025-04-19 20:35

    HF & S has them on the shelf.

  2345. #2345Welder Dave2025-04-19 20:43

    I know the oil pans and maybe part of the block are welded structures. Distortion control takes on a whole new meaning. Was reading a Welding Journal article years ago about the Wartzila Sulzer engines. The connecting rods weigh 5 1/2 tons each! Full throttle is about 120 RPM. A cylinder can be disabled and the engine still be run while it's getting repaired. Saw something else where the piston speed was just insane! You'd think they could run for 10's of thousands of hours but rebuild's are common. Much more frequent than typical diesel engines. I can't remember if piston rings were the most common repair. They are engineering at its finest.

  2346. #2346Truck Shop2025-04-19 20:51

    Ah enough of this for awhile, back to gas v-8's. looked at two too many trucks today, one was enough.

  2347. #2347Truck Shop2025-04-23 18:11
  2348. #2348Truck Shop2025-04-25 21:39

    Nice b & w of a late 37/38 Shovel Nose Kenworth. *

  2349. #2349Truck Shop2025-04-26 10:33
  2350. #2350Truck Shop2025-04-26 10:37

    A rear ending in fog at 30 mph in freezing fog on top of I-84 Cabbage hill two years ago. Totaled

  2351. #2351Truck Shop2025-04-26 10:40

    From a fatality accident near Plains Montana Jan 6th 2025, driver not at fault. *

  2352. #2352Truck Shop2025-04-26 10:42

    A head on at Madam Dorian overpass Wallula Junction Hyw 12, black ice--driver not at fault. *

  2353. #2353Truck Shop2025-04-26 10:55

    And this one from back in the 70's. Committed by Eddy Cunningham AKA Fart Sack Eddy. On highway 97 near Bend Ore at the old scale house. I knew Eddy, the story he told me while setting in the Frontier Tavern in Ellensburg where he hailed from. { That weigh cop picked on me for the last time, I had had enough of his ****. Every time I came through there he would throw the red light on me, so I ran into his shack, it was nothing but ******** and feet trying to escape. Cost me $30,000 and six months in jail. Would I do it again--you bet your ass I would}. Eddy was a piece of work but just probably one of the best drivers when he was on his game and sober. ----He was also known nation wide after this made the newspaper--Also AKA {Scale House Eddy}. I also started out washing parts and sweeping floors for E. J. Mehere in high school. *

  2354. #2354Truck Shop2025-04-26 16:41

    Another I found--a semi that rear ended one of ours on I-90 Moses Lake about 6 years ago. Driver of other OTR was talking on a cell phone not paying attention that traffic was slowed to a stand still because of another accident. Totaled our 53' trailer. *

  2355. #2355Truck Shop2025-04-26 17:28

    In my years towing I've seen all kinds of bad stuff, damn near everyone of them was caused by four items. #1 speed, #2 inattention #3 inexperience #4 just pain overloading ones ass with tom foolery. * The worst I ever seen and I don't think there have ever been too many caused by this amount of excessive speed. Laying in a hot bath tub on a Sunday evening the phone rings and wife hands it to me. Mike can you head east on I-90 to mile post 135 there's a wreck with lumber all over the freeway. On My way. It was just getting dusk and I drove the one ton 4x4 to drop the sling to push the lumber. I was truly not prepared for the scene. 4x8's littered the highway, shredded guard rail to a distance I couldn't really see because of the debris. I pushed everything to both sides to open the road. Then a WSP walked up giving me the info. Young guy from Missouri { first load west driving for the Waggoneers of Billings Montana. 4070 International with a 6V92 and no jakes pulling a 45' flat loaded with 4"x8"x10' lumber. Started down Rye Grass summit which is 11 miles of 5% then mid way almost 6% grade. According to another driver stopped at the scene it went by him mid way down at what he figured was 80 plus miles per hour. He jumped on the CB telling him to get it under control because a mile from bottom the corner tightens up. The answer was {I can't I have no brakes and I got it stuck in neutral trying to down shift}. His brakes were way out of adjustment when I inspected. * It went on it's side starting into the corner at MP 135 at a estimated speed of 110 plus according to the WSP I was taking to. Sheared off some 40 guard rail posts, two vehicles heading west up the grade both stopped and gave their description of what they saw. Which was {The trailer I'm pretty sure did four end to end cartwheels!} One of the witnesses was a truck driver. And by what I saw when I inspected the trailer or what was left of it, all four corners were crushed. We spent all day Monday cleaning up. The young driver was found alive down under wreckage in the boulders in median, he was flown to the best there is Harbor View Seattle, they tried their best but he passed away from a infection in his spine some months later at Harbor View. * All I can do is shake my head at the billy big riggers of todays industry. Some are good and many are pushing the envelope.

  2356. #2356Truck Shop2025-04-26 17:46

    @Rayden . Pacific Truck thread.

  2357. #2357Truck Shop2025-05-06 13:12
  2358. #2358Truck Shop2025-05-06 15:25

    That's a Diamond T 951 above with another setting to the right edge of photo, rare to see two at one time.

  2359. #2359skyking12025-05-06 16:19

    The scale close by me at Mountain Highway got knocked off the foundation, somebody backed into it and left. I heard it was all over on weights, but that was the one I used to figure out where the sweet spot was with the excavator. They have since demolished and closed it.

  2360. #2360Hallback2025-05-07 19:20

    I wish somebody would do that at Brady!

  2361. #2361Hallback2025-05-07 19:21
  2362. #2362Truck Shop2025-05-07 19:34
  2363. #236392U 34062025-05-07 20:32

    That's interesting. Never seen a pup get pulled by a pole trailer before.

  2364. #2364Jumbo2025-05-07 21:11

    You see them all the time here in Washington. Many places seem to demand them. I personally believe it shortens the life of truck and trailer. So for the truck, it is a wash if that. (All my personal opinion.) Mills and landowners seem to love them.

  2365. #2365Truck Shop2025-05-07 21:12

    Lot of them around here.

  2366. #236692U 34062025-05-07 23:38

    I can't say I've ever seen a setup like that up here in Canada. Weirdest configuration I've seen up here was a tandem truck, tandem jeep, tandem pole trailer but the jeep had 2 fixed bunks at the front for carrying short logs.

  2367. #2367Mike L2025-05-08 18:14
  2368. #2368Truck Shop2025-05-08 19:37

    Those are some mighty slim trees.

  2369. #2369Mike L2025-05-08 19:50

    Big load of pulp headed off the golden road to be turned into paper.

  2370. #2370Alusium2025-05-08 21:15

    Here, in NCW, they throw those in the brush pile… pretty sad really…

  2371. #2371JaredV2025-05-08 23:40

    I think I hauled rock to you a few years ago. TTG unit on the back end of the Peterson mainline north of Raymond?

  2372. #2372Hallback2025-05-09 22:43

    Yessir

  2373. #2373JaredV2025-05-09 23:56

    I think I was using this truck. You told me to tell my boss hi.

  2374. #2374Welder Dave2025-05-10 01:16

    That's an interesting dump truck. Not a lot above the tires and lower sides. Would be good for loading with a skid steer or smaller loader. I see a lot of dump trucks with the box a foot an half above the tires and then higher sides that would be difficult to load with a mid size skid steer. It's nice with the box close to the cab as well.

  2375. #2375DMiller2025-05-10 05:56

    The truck you describe is what we consider Commercial Zone use around here, load to max and is twice the capacity of that short side pictured.

  2376. #2376Truck Shop2025-05-10 06:41

    Standard issue type for years, until the mega axle high box came along in the 90's. A friends son just bought a used 4 axle {one drop} pup for a job hauling on a runway job at the local airport. He has a four axle lead, but in order to haul he was required to have a 4 axle pup. From loading area to dumping site it's only a 1.5 mile one way, and his two axle pup didn't meet the generals requirement.

  2377. #2377Welder Dave2025-05-10 10:00

    I guess for some lighter materials a bigger box is good but for hauling clay and gravel you couldn't fill it anywhere near full. Strictly off road you could overload it but then you risk breaking something if the truck isn't built heavy enough. The truck above is what I'd spec. if I was buying a dump truck. The former plow truck I have has a little lower box but I can still overload it. Don't see a big advantage having high sides that are more difficult to load and you can't load it right full anyway.

  2378. #2378Truck Shop2025-05-10 10:12

    Grandiose, is the term and common affliction.

  2379. #2379Hallback2025-05-10 10:16

    Yes sir, I remember it well! I was just talking with Matt a little while back here, he was looking some for some weld wheels for a pickup that he was building.

  2380. #2380JaredV2025-05-10 14:23

    It legals 15 ton and for rock, which is all we really haul it's as big as it needs to be. The truck washer/shop kid was wire wheeling on the frame yesterday.

  2381. #2381Truck Shop2025-05-10 15:01

    Totally satisfactory. One addition to the high sided boxes is center of gravity moves up. I operated a 86 359 with a drop and a three axle pup. It would hit 100k in a hurry with damp material. It was plenty of truck/pup.

  2382. #2382Truck Shop2025-05-10 22:06
  2383. #2383Welder Dave2025-05-10 22:15

    Higher sides will help contain material but some boxes are so high it makes it too easy to overload them. I see a lot dump trucks with these huge boxes and I'm thinking they have the same axle ratings as older dump trucks. They can't carry twice or even 1/3 more weight. Plus the huge box is going to weigh more so it kind of defeats the purpose. The gravel pit by me has all aluminum boxes so can carry a little more but I know another guy with an older aluminum box who said he'd never get another one. Kind of a pain if you need to repair it. The gravel pit has load scales so they aren't overloaded but not everybody else uses scales or weighs their loads. JaredV's box looks like the perfect size and it sits close to the frame. Here not many dump trucks have cab protectors though. I like the low front on my box because I can look over it when backing up if I have too. It would probably help if I spent some time practicing backing up with the mirrors. I've seen some drivers that could back up in the drive-through at a fast food joint. I think it comes with lots of experience.

  2384. #2384DMiller2025-05-11 06:48

    Typical for around MO, Quad or Quint, 20-22 yard beds. Commercial zone they load until flows over the sides. Red one I used to run. If could ‘see’ the load in the bed, was over gross.

  2385. #2385Hallback2025-05-11 10:56

    Jared's Truck is primarily for woods use. The shorter wheelbase and lack of numerous extra axles are paramount for getting around in these tight areas

  2386. #2386DMiller2025-05-11 12:40

    Major issue with these piglets, get stuck on ANY Softer ground, INSTANTLY.

  2387. #2387Welder Dave2025-05-11 16:27

    I would have preferred a 14' box mounted close to the cab but I couldn't be too picky looking for a cheap dump truck. I did get walking beam suspension and a heavy spec. truck though. I see a lot of dump trucks for sale with only a 12,000lb. front axle. Maybe they're converted road tractors. I can't see why anybody would want the lightest rated front axle on a dump truck. My other option was a dump trailer but it would have been kind of useless for dumping material where I wanted it. A dump trailer couldn't carry even half what a dump truck either.

  2388. #2388Welder Dave2025-05-11 17:09

    I see boxes like that and no drop axles. Only real advantage I see would be for hauling snow.

  2389. #2389JaredV2025-05-11 17:52

    It's been an interesting discussion comparing regional differences, gentlemen, but I didn't mean to hijack this into a dump truck thread so let's go back to log trucks.

  2390. #2390Truck Shop2025-05-11 20:59
  2391. #2391Truck Shop2025-05-12 04:05
  2392. #2392Truck Shop2025-05-14 10:12
  2393. #2393Hallback2025-05-15 22:06
  2394. #2394Truck Shop2025-05-15 22:13

    Uh Oh--24 Wheels of chrome!

  2395. #2395JaredV2025-05-15 22:33

    Even with 7 axles, the pup is still worth pulling I take it? Is the wood dry enough that you can't get up to weight without it?

  2396. #2396Truck Shop2025-05-16 20:04
  2397. #2397Hallback2025-05-16 23:28

    Yeah, if I load legal I still get 34.7 ton of payload and with everybody playing this 36-ft game it drops me down to 92.5 when I shorten up so the extra 15% plus the additional tonnage really helps. It's like working an extra day and a half during the week. I leave the 5th axle on the tractor for the few trips a week that I don't use the pup that way I could stretch out and still get a decent load

  2398. #2398Truck Shop2025-05-17 10:27
  2399. #2399Truck Shop2025-05-17 21:00
  2400. #2400Truck Shop2025-05-19 21:35

    Not a logger but a early model Star. *

  2401. #2401525isx2025-05-22 12:34

    my dad hauled for doug in the late60's,early 70's. he had 2 like in the picture, and a wide nose, early 70's they were painted maroon and cream color

  2402. #2402Truck Shop2025-05-23 21:05
  2403. #2403Truck Shop2025-05-23 21:06
  2404. #2404Hallback2025-05-23 23:52

    ST.Regis, either Morton or Kapowsin

  2405. #2405Truck Shop2025-05-26 21:17

    Rather unique piece. *

  2406. #2406DMiller2025-05-27 03:03

    Takes an artistic eye to find such visions and expose them.

  2407. #2407Truck Shop2025-05-28 06:34
  2408. #2408Truck Shop2025-05-28 20:58

    450/550 quad cab log truck with 5-50' class 2 utility power poles. Bad photo. *

  2409. #2409DMiller2025-05-29 03:34

    Bad considerations, top heavy, weight is not centralized, barely supportable unstable sitting on the racks. Just not smart.

  2410. #2410Jumbo2025-05-29 06:20

    Snoqualmie Falls Lumber Company (Weyerehaeuser) Leo Kelly the driver. Leo was driver #3 until he retired in 1978(?). Harold Keller

  2411. #2411Hallback2025-05-29 22:40

    What do you think those poles weigh a piece? I've got a dozen of them I've got to go pick up this weekend and wondering if I can put them all on my 14K deck over and do it in one trip?

  2412. #2412Jumbo2025-05-29 23:02

    A Fir class II weighs between 230 and 500 per foot.

  2413. #2413DMiller2025-05-30 02:19

    IE Tonnage

  2414. #2414Truck Shop2025-05-30 07:03

    There is a utility pole scale for weight--those above are not transmission poles which usually fall in class H brackets, depends on tree species, too. Those above about 1600 according to my neighbor who works for Columbia REA.

  2415. #2415Doug19662025-05-31 12:17

    Thought this thread was about any brand logging trucks,!!!! Not dump trucks not medium duty trucks. Not discussions about other stuff. ANY BRAND LOGGING TRUCKS.

  2416. #2416Truck Shop2025-05-31 12:41

    It caused Hallback to ask a question so--it's ok ain't it Hallback.

  2417. #2417DMiller2025-05-31 13:03

    Those were logs, at one time!

  2418. #2418Truck Shop2025-05-31 14:35
  2419. #2419Truck Shop2025-05-31 14:38
  2420. #2420Truck Shop2025-05-31 20:25

    That ought to tamp down ruffled feathers.

  2421. #2421JaredV2025-05-31 20:30

    That orange Coaster looks to be in nice shape! The bumper is bent a little but that's about all I can see.

  2422. #2422Truck Shop2025-05-31 20:35

    If I had it, I would sell it, buy a wing and go ride somewhere with DM, as long as it's in or near the Rockies.

  2423. #2423DMiller2025-05-31 20:47

    I could so do that

  2424. #2424Alusium2025-05-31 22:42

    Back on track. Neat pics.

  2425. #2425Hank R2025-05-31 22:43

    These were my pictures i had post here before.

  2426. #2426Hallback2025-05-31 22:52

    Damn straight. Especially seeing as I'm probably one of only two or three guys in here that actually drives a damn log truck.

  2427. #2427Hallback2025-05-31 22:54

    Hey TS, Does Steve still have all those trucks sitting in his yard?

  2428. #2428Hank R2025-06-01 07:48
  2429. #2429HarleyHappy2025-06-01 07:56

    That one pic above, with the snow and coming down the mountains. Looked like a racked muley in between trucks on the hill.

  2430. #2430Truck Shop2025-06-01 10:14

    And to those, I started this thread, I ran it off coarse some, I posted photos that belong to some one else, oh I broke some unwritten laws in logging photo collecting. So what, sue me. This is the only thread I post anything having to do with multi wheeled vehicles anymore, If I happen to find a photo of a lawnmower with a load of lumber on it I'm probably going to post it. * Sorry Hank for posting a photo of Uncle High Pants.

  2431. #2431Truck Shop2025-06-01 10:28

    Yes he does and he added a K100 cabover I sold him. But no one hardly calls him Steve anymore, even his kid calls him Karen. He made a trip to Africa on a Safari that he ended up with two free tickets. So he and his daughter traveled with two others on the adventure,------------------------ and I renamed him--The Lion King. * There was video of a fallen tree on the safari jeep trail--and naturally the Lion King just had to get out and officiate the proper choker setting and winching of the tree --to say he had done logging on two continents in his life, plus do some log landing bossing while there. Only thing he was minus was the tin pan because he was actually dressed complete with guy wires.

  2432. #2432skadill2025-06-01 11:21

    .

  2433. #2433Truck Shop2025-06-01 21:01

    31K views · 560 reactions | Just needed a little help! Sierra ground, ryderwood, 2017 | North Fork Timber Just needed a little help! Sierra ground, ryderwood, 2017 www.facebook.com

  2434. #2434Alusium2025-06-01 21:30

    F fb.

  2435. #2435Truck Shop2025-06-01 21:32

    Don't like my thread, don't look at it.

  2436. #2436Alusium2025-06-01 21:36

    Lol

  2437. #2437Alusium2025-06-01 21:45

    It’s a great thread. Lots of neat pics. I just don’t do fb. Carry on…

  2438. #2438Truck Shop2025-06-01 21:49

    I do, because there are several collectors I know that post on FB. That have vast photo & truck sales, repair literature libraries, covering all the way back to the teens. We trade stuff to & frow.

  2439. #2439Alusium2025-06-01 22:46

    What about the folks that load em? Wrote 24 tickets the other day… 2 super trains… They are nice. But take time… Do you have to pull yours around?

  2440. #2440Hallback2025-06-01 22:58

    Yeah they take a little more time but I think it's definitely worth it. Mine is a stackable combo. I loaded for a lot of years. Where are you out of?

  2441. #2441Hallback2025-06-01 22:59

    I spent a lot of years on that tree farm. (30ish)

  2442. #2442Alusium2025-06-01 23:06

    Yea, they are worth it. Sure beats pulling them around. Keller.

  2443. #2443Hallback2025-06-02 22:07

    @Truck Shop Have you seen those extended day cab kits that have a flat roof and don't have that big sloped up kicker? Allegedly it's an aftermarket kit that gets you another 8 to 10 inches of cab space. Being as big as I am I definitely need to look into that because this thing is flat crippling me to drive it.

  2444. #2444Truck Shop2025-06-02 22:13

    Yes--I've seen those, not cheap but nothing is. I think the seat gains about 5" total in more aft slide, and or move seat back.

  2445. #2445Hallback2025-06-03 05:50

    I think this'll probably be the last new truck I ever buy so I should probably look into it. Curious on how entailed the install is? I'm sure it's fairly simple but the amount of people out there that have a knack for screwing stuff up is mind-boggling.

  2446. #2446Truck Shop2025-06-03 14:25

    Daycab Company - Kenworth Day Cab Conversion Kits Daycab Company is the largest manufacturer of Day Cab Conversion kits and Interiors for Kenworth Trucks www.daycabs.com * Fibertech 6 Inch Extended Day Cab Conversion Kit For Kenworth T600, T660, T800, W900 High Quality Conversion Kit * Includes: - 1 Piece 6 Inch Fiberglass Cab Extension - Bonded 1 Inch X 2 Inch Aluminum Bracing - Aluminum Upper Cab-Seat Belt Mounts Paintable Fiberglass Window Trim - 17 Inch X 36 Inch Rear Glass - Window Seal And Bead Lock With Mounting Hardware * Provides 6 Inches... www.4statetrucks.com

  2447. #2447Truck Shop2025-06-17 18:56

    These were used in logging sagebrush. *

  2448. #2448Truck Shop2025-06-24 19:02
  2449. #2449Jumbo2025-06-24 19:20

    That looks like snow on those cedar butts. I like the "electric welding" sign in the background.

  2450. #2450Truck Shop2025-07-04 12:19

    T *

  2451. #2451Truck Shop2025-07-14 01:58
  2452. #2452Hallback2025-07-14 21:37

    I bought a few log trucks from Dewey

  2453. #2453Truck Shop2025-07-14 21:39
  2454. #2454JaredV2025-07-14 22:56

    That spare tire takes me back to when I was a kid when it was still common to carry them like that. Nobody carries a spare at all anymore.

  2455. #2455Truck Shop2025-07-15 07:59

    It was the same with on highway, not too many years back almost every trailer came with a spare tire rack under trailer. Almost no one orders or buys a trailer with a tire rack these days. Simply because a tire shop is going to deal with those issues. Plus it's extra weight. But there is one thing that DOT liked about it--being able to write a ticket for the tire not being secured/ chained in rack.

  2456. #2456Truck Shop2025-07-17 19:09

    Mission BC? *

  2457. #2457BC Placer gold2025-07-18 02:43

    Seems 10 years ago every trailer had a spare….never see any up here in BC now.

  2458. #2458HarleyHappy2025-07-18 08:00

    Can anyone guess “Road Service “ for the win. lol

  2459. #2459Truck Shop2025-07-18 10:32

    Well there is another side to that--dress. Drivers these days dress as though they are headed on a vacation. Cargo shorts, tennis shoes, sandals, tank tops, Hawaiian Aloha shirts, not too many even have gloves. They're not going to do anything outside of the box. I see some operating dumps dressed in bright colors also in shorts, Not many are going to even think of breaking a sweat--breaking a sweat is someone else's job.

  2460. #2460Jumbo2025-07-18 10:55

    Mention that and immediately I think of drivers standing outside looking at their truck in a chain up area with snow falling at 3" an hour or more and they are in a tank top shorts and flip flops wondering how to chain up.

  2461. #2461JaredV2025-07-18 15:04

    And then they take those flip flops off and stick one foot out the window as they're rolling down the freeway. Seen it, no joke.

  2462. #2462Hallback2025-07-18 20:14

    Evidently I'm doing it wrong then

  2463. #2463Truck Shop2025-07-19 10:51
  2464. #2464HarleyHappy2025-07-20 09:44

    ^^^^ Now that’s a logging town!

  2465. #2465Truck Shop2025-07-21 21:42
  2466. #2466Coaldust2025-07-21 23:08

    Saw this guy hauling log cabin logs down the Tok Cutoff and make a couple trips. Which is a rare occurrence. I venture to guess there isn’t more than 2 or 3 log trucks working in the interior, let alone a self-loader.

  2467. #2467Truck Shop2025-07-22 22:08

    Just old enough to post. *

  2468. #2468HarleyHappy2025-07-23 08:16

    Now those twin stacks are just about perfect!

  2469. #2469Truck Shop2025-07-25 23:39
  2470. #247092U 34062025-07-25 23:57

    Reminds me a lot of my hometown back when logging was a major industry in BC. Logging trucks, lowbeds hauling equipment and super b's loaded with lumber just non-stop all day long through town. Hasn't been like that in over 20 years now.

  2471. #2471Truck Shop2025-07-26 06:37

    Notice the age of cars, mid to late 60's, Cascades.

  2472. #2472Truck Shop2025-07-26 22:52

    Not loggers but they're old. *

  2473. #2473Truck Shop2025-07-27 16:34
  2474. #2474Truck Shop2025-07-29 23:00
  2475. #2475Welder Dave2025-07-30 01:30

    Any idea what the bag type things are in the 2nd pic? I thought they might be to prevent flooding.

  2476. #2476Alusium2025-07-30 19:17

    Getting out the parade loads… Any idea where the last one is from?

  2477. #2477Truck Shop2025-07-30 22:14

    No I'm afraid I don't know where those photos were taken.

  2478. #2478Alusium2025-07-31 23:46

    Neat pics anyway… Thanks.

  2479. #2479JaredV2025-08-01 20:09

    What are the trucks in the last two pictures? Autocars?

  2480. #2480Truck Shop2025-08-01 20:38

    ?

  2481. #2481Truck Shop2025-08-01 22:23

    NZ

  2482. #2482JaredV2025-08-01 23:48

    Do you know what make are these trucks?

  2483. #2483Truck Shop2025-08-02 07:03

    Euro.

  2484. #2484HarleyHappy2025-08-02 07:28

    B-Mack’s.

  2485. #2485Truck Shop2025-08-02 07:40

    Those resemble B's sort of--closer to A cab Mack, but Russia also built trucks of that vintage that look like those. The radiator badge resembles Mack sort of. But when view is enlarged it gets too blurry to really tell. The store signage is European, in bottom photo. The top photo look to be A-Cars. I don't know, haven't had time to go through my books to identify yet.

  2486. #2486Truck Shop2025-08-02 07:41

    Might have already posted this one. IIRC.

  2487. #2487Truck Shop2025-08-02 22:43
  2488. #2488Truck Shop2025-08-02 22:46
  2489. #2489HarleyHappy2025-08-03 09:13

    Love those big old growth logs. Never see them again. We have a town forest close by that I hunt occasionally. It has old growth trees, most of them beech and poplar and they are as big as the bed in my truck, or bigger. Lot of names carved in them. Spectacular.

  2490. #2490Truck Shop2025-08-03 11:10

    Here is a {AI} generated, this stuff has saturated the net. *

  2491. #2491skadill2025-08-03 12:09
  2492. #2492Hallback2025-08-03 18:37

    AI has ruined a lot of classic photos

  2493. #2493Hallback2025-08-04 16:46

    Here's a log truck photo.....

  2494. #2494crane operator2025-08-04 16:55

    At least you weren't loaded, and kept it out of the ditch. Ruin the rim?

  2495. #2495JaredV2025-08-04 17:00

    It looks pretty legit to me other than the log looks a little too perfect.

  2496. #2496Hallback2025-08-04 21:04

    No sir, soon as I felt it blow I got it right over to the shoulder and stopped. Didn't even run on the lip of the wheel

  2497. #2497crane operator2025-08-04 21:37

    That's great. They just don't give those rims away today. We've lost two lowboy tires in the last month, but that's nothing like losing a steer.

  2498. #2498Truck Shop2025-08-04 23:13

    The truck is AI, and I don't remember seeing bunks with stakes that tall in any photos from that era. Plus those other photos are AI also. I looked those trucks don't exist.

  2499. #2499Truck Shop2025-08-04 23:13

    ^^^

  2500. #250092U 34062025-08-05 00:21

    Looks like the trailer has a differential, not a spec of mud on truck, doesn't look like the steer tire left any tracks. The front spoke wheel looks weird to me, the studs/nuts up by the hub cap seem out of place. That could just be a style of hub I've never seen before too though.

  2501. #2501JaredV2025-08-05 01:03

    Yeah, those bunks are pretty tall. Okay, I can see some stuff now. The truck bunk looks like it has cable for a trip bunk but there's no pivot. The headache rack isn't high enough and the air cleaner doesn't have a pipe going under the hood. The badge on the side of the hood is on top of a louver. The cab looks to me like a K International which ended in '49, but the mirrors, horns and turn signals look ten years newer and it appears to be a new truck. And the first thing I noticed, everyone is wearing hard hats on the side of the road.

  2502. #2502Truck Shop2025-08-05 08:42

    Actually--a person can find any number of incorrect parts/pieces on that truck. The big one that stands out is the log, it's kind of like carpet in a shower, doesn't look right to me.

  2503. #2503Truck Shop2025-08-05 08:45

    That tire looks to be about a year old?

  2504. #2504BC Placer gold2025-08-05 08:54

    Decal on front bumper? (Odd place for decal on bush truck). Also in perfect condition….also looks like a modern style of font. This AI stuff is definitely concerning….

  2505. #2505Pops522025-08-05 10:25

    And the truck drivers seem to resemble each other. Brothers?

  2506. #2506Welder Dave2025-08-05 16:42

    They are hillbilly loggers. The name on the door sure doesn't look like A A Olson. It looks to be something with two L's.

  2507. #2507Hallback2025-08-05 21:42

    19,000 mi on it

  2508. #2508Truck Shop2025-08-05 22:10

    Brand? toyo?

  2509. #2509Truck Shop2025-08-05 22:10
  2510. #2510Birken Vogt2025-08-05 23:31

    Nobody in that era wore a hard hat hardly at any time, much less standing out in the road taking a photo away from any active operation.

  2511. #2511Truck Shop2025-08-06 06:13

    Which is far from the truth--logging is one of the most photographed industries going back to the inception of the camera. Posing for photographers was common. Many photos were staged away from logging site also. Such as the photo below of a PR shot with top dignitaries dressed in their favorite felt hard hats. . *

  2512. #2512Truck Shop2025-08-06 06:29

    The guy laying down--he was named Romeo.

  2513. #2513Truck Shop2025-08-06 06:41
  2514. #2514Hallback2025-08-06 20:36

    Michelin

  2515. #2515Hallback2025-08-06 20:38

    This is where my family's from. That hillside in the background is above mineral lake. My grandfather cut out there from 1937 to 1942 when he went to world war II and then when he came back. It was pretty damn cool because the last stand of old growth back there I got to cut on in 1996. I cut a lot of second growth in that area that was ground he had cut old growth on as well.

  2516. #2516Truck Shop2025-08-07 21:27

    The reason I called that logger in the photo Romeo, is because every logger I knew wore Romeo's in off hours.

  2517. #2517Hallback2025-08-08 22:38

    I feel attacked!!

  2518. #2518Hallback2025-08-09 10:57
  2519. #2519camptramp2025-08-10 00:05

    They don't make them as good as the originals , but they will do !

  2520. #2520Hallback2025-08-10 12:46

    These Danners are the best ones I've found since the OG chippewa's that I wore for years. They discontinued those over 20 years ago now

  2521. #2521525isx2025-08-10 13:59

    never wear romeos-- black minnetonka moccasins- lots of the loggers and truckers around here wore them when I was young,so I chose that route !

  2522. #2522Truck Shop2025-08-10 14:28

    Bought a pair about three years ago, lasted about 5 months stitching and soles came undone. * I wear these for around house.

  2523. #2523Coaldust2025-08-10 14:35

    A classic pair of Redwings with the crepe waffle sole, sure sound nice. A look on EBay has used ones in the $250 to $750 range. Wow. I wonder If Nicks or White or anyone American manufacture is making a version.

  2524. #2524Truck Shop2025-08-10 14:50

    Whites? The last time I stopped at they're factory store in Spokane---I noticed they had a a defibrillator at the end of each rack of shoes/boots.

  2525. #2525Truck Shop2025-08-10 15:25

    White's--were, I don't know about now, the best boot made. I bought a pair of Smoke Jumpers in 1974, had them rebuilt once. And bought a pair of Elk Hide Packers in 1977. Expensive then and extremely expensive now. But White's sold to Lacrosse Boots in Portland a ways back. When I bought mine I bought them from the only outside store in the area, Starr Boot & Shoe Repair. Whites didn't get involved with shoe stores, had to be a boot repair shop. *

  2526. #2526Hallback2025-08-10 16:44

    I bought a pair of whites and had them custom-made to my foot in about 1994 maybe 95. Those were the most uncomfortable sons a bitches I ever had around my feet and had sent them back a couple times to get worked on and just never panned out. I bet I didn't have 40 hours in those things when I set them out at a park and ride one morning when I was getting in the crew bus. Hopefully some other logger was able to pick them up and use them.

  2527. #2527Truck Shop2025-08-10 17:30

    It's a tough boot to get broke in, mine weren't exactly dream boats after I bought them. But once broke in I didn't wear much else. The Packers were nice from start.

  2528. #2528Welder Dave2025-08-10 21:32

    I have some Merrill's like that that were originally my good shoes but then I started wearing them when I went out to my MX track. They have held up fantastic and I still wear them after 5 or 6 years. They've had oil dripped on them and gotten wet but not coming apart at all. I've had Muck shoes both split in about 6 months and Sketchers boots that the stitching came out prematurely and I tried to fix with Shoe Goo. Really disappointed with the Muck shoes because they were over $100 but I like their neoprene rubber boots.

  2529. #2529Former Wrench2025-08-11 19:01

    I have always been a fan of West Coast Boots out of Scappose, OR

  2530. #2530Truck Shop2025-08-11 19:42
  2531. #2531Hallback2025-08-11 20:42

    Like these?

  2532. #2532Truck Shop2025-08-13 16:04

    A wrecky poo on hyw 12 between Waitsburg & Walla Walla yesterday. No serious injuries. Log truck was passing another vehicle with water truck oncoming. It's setting at friends tow yard, it busted the suspension mounting bolts trough frame to crossmembers. *

  2533. #253392U 34062025-08-13 17:21

    Why do American logging trucks taper the frame rails together at the rear?

  2534. #2534Truck Shop2025-08-13 17:45

    My theory--they buy it with X amount of after frame, because they need a stinger anyways. The price of the extra after frame isn't that much, and it's a easy solution to a problem.

  2535. #253592U 34062025-08-13 20:09

    I've never seen that on any logging truck this side of the border. Just full width frame straight out the back.

  2536. #2536Truck Shop2025-08-13 20:41

    Common with newer loggers down here.

  2537. #2537Truck Shop2025-08-13 20:42
  2538. #2538Hallback2025-08-13 21:04

    They do a double taper on a lot of them for when they're coming out of off-camber roads and the rear of the frame articulates up towards the load and with the double taper it won't bind up like a straight frame wheel in the rear.

  2539. #253992U 34062025-08-13 21:15

    That makes sense. You guys do have more tailframe on your trucks than we do.

  2540. #2540Truck Shop2025-08-14 17:37

    I was at tow yard when driver of log truck above came to get his things out of it. * WDOT according to him, pulled out into his lane and stopped, he tried to pass it in what little time he had to react. The trailer clipped the front of DOT water truck as it started to whip, sending him into guard rail on right side. Then trailer started the roll over to the left, and over it went. So it seems the DOT truck caused the wreck. And he was smart, he didn't divulge he had a dash cam that recorded the incident. Which if he is telling the truth will prove what took place. KIRO 7 Seatttle had it on they're news as sounding like it was his fault. * So let it be a lessen----buy a dash cam and use it. My old company has had one in each truck the last 12 years, and can't count how many times it's saved they're bacon along with a few other things.

  2541. #254192U 34062025-08-14 19:49

    Just be nice if they made them a little easier to wire into a vehicle. I absolutely hate having wires running across the dash or plugs hanging out of my cigarette lighter. Looks so tacky and hacked together.

  2542. #2542Welder Dave2025-08-14 20:08

    If his dash cam reveals the DOT truck caused the accident he should get compensated and/or sue for defamation as well as any injuries he sustained. I'm sure there are many involved in accidents with gov't. vehicles that were automatically blamed for causing the accident but they didn't have the resources to defend themselves. There are some popular video's where dash cams have been used to call out the police for bogus charges or not knowing the laws they're supposed to. They've tried to make up a bogus law to justify their harassing people that didn't do anything wrong.

  2543. #2543Welder Dave2025-08-14 20:45

    There have been more than a few times where I've questioned where police have parked their vehicles while dealing with a minor infraction or even a lane blockage. It's like they don't consider the rest of the road is still open. Have seen where they block an extra lane unnecessarily on a busy freeway causing a huge pile up with chain reaction collisions.

  2544. #2544Truck Shop2025-08-14 20:58

    I've installed oh I guess over two hundred dash cams, Lytx brand and few Samsara. The Lytx are the simplest, most have been installed/removed & reinstalled 3 times. Once you have a plan down it gets pretty easy. The big problem is drivers covering the inside cab lens, that helps also when things like this happen, shows you were looking/alert, not dosing off. * one constant power wire. one key powered wire one ground wire. * Some have a bus connector to monitor engine and truck operations and tell how much time elapsed till braking occurred.

  2545. #2545HarleyHappy2025-08-15 08:32

    I have forward and rear cams in all my bikes and should get them for the other vehicles. I have used the Innov systems for a few years and they seem to work well but fortunately have never had to hit the save button.

  2546. #2546Hallback2025-08-15 20:00
  2547. #2547Truck Shop2025-09-04 19:26

    1974 Clipper for sale in Thompson BC. *

  2548. #2548525isx2025-09-05 03:53

    I've always thought it would be cool to have one of those ! always thought they looked neat !

  2549. #2549Truck Shop2025-09-07 11:38

    Kitahara photo. *

  2550. #2550Truck Shop2025-09-07 14:15
  2551. #2551Hallback2025-09-07 21:29

    That was this weekend, couple buddies won some hardware with their trucks

  2552. #2552Truck Shop2025-09-07 22:03

    Here it was the car show weekend--it usually attracts 325 and up cars. I didn't go had painting to do. The truck show will be next or weekend after.

  2553. #2553Truck Shop2025-09-07 22:14

    Kitahara photos. *

  2554. #2554Truck Shop2025-09-08 19:55
  2555. #2555Truck Shop2025-09-13 01:43

    My old employer called me asking about log trucks, wth. Somebody his dad hauls grain and spuds for in eastern idaho has a bunch of timber ground and wants him to haul logs, several years worth I guess. {Yeah well there is a heck of a learning curve there boss}. It will be interesting to say the least.

  2556. #2556Hallback2025-09-13 11:33

    I've got a great one for sale, I'll even train a new driver for it

  2557. #2557Truck Shop2025-09-13 12:38

    I'm just standing by watching---from a distance.

  2558. #2558Hallback2025-09-17 21:50
  2559. #2559JaredV2025-09-17 22:55

    Unloading pic at Nygaard? Are you in Willapa's old shop?

  2560. #2560Mike L2025-09-18 18:40

    I never get sick of that color! You still have the C500?

  2561. #2561Hallback2025-09-18 21:24

    Unloading at Dahlstrom. PLP is in Willapa's old shop. My big shop sold and I just use my home shop now. C500 got sold 2 years ago. Thank you, I like the color too. Looks better in person.

  2562. #2562Truck Shop2025-09-21 08:39

    One I photo'd yesterday, 1960 B83. Except for a few items, mostly original. *

  2563. #2563Truck Shop2025-09-21 08:40

    And a ex Canadian 2006 C500. Need to lose the napa flaps. *

  2564. #2564Truck Shop2025-10-02 20:24
  2565. #2565Alusium2025-10-03 00:03

    Nice…

  2566. #2566Truck Shop2025-10-03 06:38
  2567. #2567Jumbo2025-10-05 16:11

    That looks like crossing the Yakima about 2 miles upstream of the Louieville reload on the old Cabin Creek road. Just down stream barely out of the photo was a bridge restricted to brave cars and pickup trucks. If I'm correct, I caught a lot of fish standing on that rock to the right when I was a wee tyke. Any idea where it really was?

  2568. #2568Truck Shop2025-10-05 17:48

    No idea.

  2569. #2569Truck Shop2025-10-23 22:33
  2570. #2570GunnieSacked2025-10-24 21:20
  2571. #2571Truck Shop2025-10-24 21:25

    Jeb & Willie.

  2572. #2572skadill2025-10-25 12:34
  2573. #2573GunnieSacked2025-10-26 16:13

    1970s Volat logging truck

  2574. #2574DMiller2025-10-26 16:59

    Soviet Reject!!

  2575. #2575GunnieSacked2025-10-26 17:13

    Well of you didn’t like that one, what about this one! 1974 Chevy pickup pulling 7 loads of logs!

  2576. #2576DMiller2025-10-26 18:47

    Not that did not like, just noting a USSR Missile transporter re-purposed

  2577. #2577GunnieSacked2025-10-28 15:22

    Clem and Zeek on a plank road chasing Jeb and Willie (re- post #2,571)

  2578. #2578GunnieSacked2025-10-30 23:48
  2579. #2579GunnieSacked2025-11-10 17:00

    Log 100 ft long, 8 ft at Butt, 40 inch top, scale 9000 board feet, South Bend

  2580. #2580Truck Shop2025-11-10 17:17

    With a ED Mack pulling it.

  2581. #2581camptramp2025-11-10 21:43

    I wonder if that log was / and or is going to be used as a "Spar Tree" ? The weight on that little truck must have been incredible !

  2582. #2582skadill2025-11-12 23:41
  2583. #2583GunnieSacked2025-11-18 16:21
  2584. #2584Truck Shop2025-11-21 15:42

    That iron nose pete with the biggest log log log load must be the most posted logging photo on the net.

  2585. #2585GunnieSacked2025-11-23 18:21
  2586. #2586Truck Shop2025-11-23 20:04

    ^^^^^ They call me Mr. Dirty Bob--first names Billy, middle is Boo.

  2587. #2587DMiller2025-11-24 07:15

    Rough life back then

  2588. #2588Truck Shop2025-11-24 09:42

    And ten years before that it was even rougher because there were no trucks, and really rough until the saw was invented.

  2589. #2589GunnieSacked2025-11-28 21:35
  2590. #2590Truck Shop2025-11-29 21:02
  2591. #2591GunnieSacked2025-12-07 23:37

    Pacific Northwest, USA, 1950​

  2592. #2592Tugger22025-12-08 10:40

    HDX 1973 . That truck still had the "new car smell " in the cab .Excuse the blurry picture i was still practicing with the instamatic.

  2593. #2593GunnieSacked2025-12-09 14:51
  2594. #2594Mike L2025-12-11 19:44

    When men were men. And the sheep ran scared.

  2595. #2595Truck Shop2025-12-14 21:17
  2596. #2596Truck Shop2025-12-14 21:32
  2597. #2597Truck Shop2025-12-16 18:52
  2598. #2598GunnieSacked2025-12-17 00:50

    A Peterbilt with largest load of Redwood delivered to the mill in the Redwood Region

  2599. #2599GunnieSacked2025-12-17 14:02
  2600. #2600Truck Shop2025-12-17 16:31

    Duplex built trucks from 1908 to the 1980's , built for privet companies & government. Warner Swasey owned them then it became Simon Duplex and in the end part of Crane Carrier Corporation. It was a odd company for the fact it survived through the conglomerate buyouts of the 40's/50's, only to be traded around later on. Never had their own engine, used Buda, Hercules, Cummins, International, Continental.

  2601. #2601GunnieSacked2025-12-19 14:23
  2602. #2602GunnieSacked2025-12-20 20:52
  2603. #2603GunnieSacked2025-12-23 13:51

    Kinzua Logging Wheeler County Oregon

  2604. #2604GunnieSacked2025-12-25 21:32
  2605. #2605Mr. Wrench2025-12-26 09:07

    What brand/model is that truck?

  2606. #2606Former Wrench2025-12-26 14:27

    Looks like a Pacific.

  2607. #2607Truck Shop2025-12-26 19:35
  2608. #2608GunnieSacked2025-12-27 21:45
  2609. #2609Truck Shop2025-12-29 21:30
  2610. #2610Truck Shop2025-12-31 17:26
  2611. #2611GunnieSacked2025-12-31 21:45
  2612. #2612Truck Shop2026-01-01 20:59
  2613. #2613GunnieSacked2026-01-02 07:49
  2614. #2614GunnieSacked2026-01-03 20:41
  2615. #2615GunnieSacked2026-01-05 04:14

    Copper Canyon Vancouver Island 1957

  2616. #2616skadill2026-01-06 00:01
  2617. #2617Welder Dave2026-01-06 01:00

    That looks like an early Pacific.

  2618. #2618GunnieSacked2026-01-10 12:00
  2619. #2619Jumbo2026-01-11 19:26

    Latimer and Sons; their shop is still standing in Randle. I believe a millwork shop is in it now. In the Contract Logger soft cover book Findley Hayes put out in 1972, you can see one of their trucks (empty) upside down. Caught an edge and went over.

  2620. #2620Truck Shop2026-01-17 06:51
  2621. #2621DMiller2026-01-17 09:41

    Are there any Steerable Trailer/Trucks still used in the NW? Any on Static Display anywhere from the ones I saw in the early 80s?

  2622. #2622Hank R2026-01-17 14:10

    I have heard of Steerable lowbed trailers for off road. may be some still around not sure.

  2623. #2623Truck Shop2026-01-17 14:14

    Have never seen any around here, stinger steered anyway on long loggers.

  2624. #2624Jumbo2026-01-17 14:30

    Eons ago, Loggers World had a story about a Peerless or perhaps General I can't remember which, "steerable trailer." This was back in the early '70s. All I remember it operated with a toggle switch and was only used in the woods, not on the highway for long loads. When you reached pavement, you locked the wheels in "normal" and it was a standard extendable reach trailer. I can only assume it was a marketing failure since after the article I never saw or heard of one. Possibly it was just an experiment. It was designed for hauling poles out of the woods. Findley had a couple of photos of it in operation. Anybody have all their old LW papers?

  2625. #2625DMiller2026-01-17 14:39

    Ones I remember were equipped with a side slung Cab, Air from lead tractor, some had a Small pony engine running PS and I suspect some form of Generator. Tandem, with a Steer axle, Everything Under the Bunks.

  2626. #262692U 34062026-01-17 17:44

    Steerable like this? Never seen logs hauled on these before but they haul a lot of pipe with this style trailer.

  2627. #2627GunnieSacked2026-01-17 18:11

    Steerable Pole Trailer Steerable Extendable Pole Trailers - Adams Trucking Adams Trucking has steerable extendable pole trailers which allows longer loads to be maneuvered easily in tighter narrow areas. www.adamsindustriesinc.com Stinger Steered Trailer Stinger steering

  2628. #2628Truck Shop2026-01-17 19:47

    I think those would be unique to the timber in a certain area. Around here not too many harvested for poles that long, not much harvesting of anything.

  2629. #2629DMiller2026-01-17 20:09

    Last ones I saw were around Portland. No physical connecting link to forward tractor. Always had Big timber on them. Box with plexi windows as cab just behind steer on L side. Operator sat close to ground!

  2630. #2630Truck Shop2026-01-17 22:24

    Sounds like a aircraft type tug.

  2631. #2631JaredV2026-01-17 22:40

    Sounds like the rigs they use to haul precast beams and such. Never seen or heard of one used to haul logs. Since logs taper and are lighter on the skinny end, a normal pole trailer can be quite a ways up under the load. It would be interesting to see a log load big enough to require a steerable trailer, though!

  2632. #2632Jumbo2026-01-17 23:25

    There are several YouTube videos of steersman trailers hauling poles out of the woods, all with poles well over 150' in length. Darned if I can find one right now.

  2633. #2633Truck Shop2026-01-18 06:18

    Otherwise and nothing other than a Steer Car with a set of bunks. *

  2634. #2634DMiller2026-01-18 07:36

    That would be a similar to what I remembered. Ones I saw then were considerably more crude and bunks.

  2635. #2635Truck Shop2026-01-18 08:22

    Steer cars of yesteryear were definitely crude.

  2636. #2636DMiller2026-01-18 10:17

    Man Cab was actually Side Saddle on Frame on the ones can remember. Other side had the Pony motor and Hydraulics system

  2637. #2637Truck Shop2026-01-18 11:34

    Probably didn't work well--bad vision.

  2638. #2638Welder Dave2026-01-18 21:25

    I was watching a show about a heavy haul company that also built the trailers, Diamond Heavy Haul. They had a 550 HP steerable pusher on the back but what seemed odd was the operator stood up to steer and it was completely open with no weather protection. Not too good when a lot of heavy moves are in the winter when the ground is frozen.

  2639. #2639GunnieSacked2026-01-19 00:04

    Pole trailer hauling Pole trailer explained

  2640. #2640Hallback2026-01-19 08:44
  2641. #2641Jumbo2026-01-22 01:00

    Most of those moves are at less than10 mph, so the cold isn't too bad.... And, most of the time the trailer is "locked" into a straight trailer position. There is only a man up there when maneuvering around obstacles.

  2642. #2642Welder Dave2026-01-22 01:58

    I think they averaged 14 MPH. It was a double lane transporter. I think the operator had to stay for the entire trip but they had to stop when it got dark and resume the next day. I think there might not be cab in case a load needed to be lifted over the back end of the trailer. The rear powered section was pretty compact. It was probably the best episode of American Trucker. The shop was 80,000 square feet and very impressive. The burning table was 85' feet long and they used robots for some of the welding. Everything started off from flat plate. They showed a sheet of 1 1/2" plate that weighed 20,000lbs. The founder of the company was a genious and designed the trailers on the shop floor. (Very similar to Art Henuset who designed the Polarbear trencher on the shop floor.) Sadly he was killed in a drag racing accident. I read on the internet his wife died several years later but it doesn't say how. She drag raced too. I think their son is running the show now.

  2643. #2643GunnieSacked2026-01-23 00:46

    Beaver Creek, Port Alberni Vancouver Island

  2644. #2644GunnieSacked2026-01-23 20:32
  2645. #2645GunnieSacked2026-01-25 00:35

    Arch-logging truck pulling a large cluster of logs - Northern BC

  2646. #2646GunnieSacked2026-01-26 23:25

    Having a Bad Day!

  2647. #2647Welder Dave2026-01-27 00:56

    They don't seem too shocked that the truck flipped on its side. That's a big log.

  2648. #2648Jumbo2026-01-27 01:12

    Well, once it's on it's side, there isn't much to do until a Cat and a shovel arrive to put it on it's feet, might as well pose for some photos. I can remember a Weyerhaeuser pickup truck "parked" on top of an old hemlock stump about 15 feet off the road. There were many photos taken waiting for the boom truck to lift it off the stump.

  2649. #2649mekanik2026-01-27 08:37

    Probably not a lot of body damage. The sheet metal was probably over 1/16" thick.

  2650. #2650Welder Dave2026-01-28 00:25

    Some people would be very upset if a truck rolled on its side.

  2651. #2651Truck Shop2026-01-28 11:56

    That's because that truck doesn't exist, it's AI.

  2652. #2652Jumbo2026-01-28 14:50

    Hmm, that would explain the lack of duals on the drivers and lack of bunks with stakes or cheese blocks. It looked odd, but my untrained eye didn't want to believe what I was/wasn't seeing.

  2653. #2653JaredV2026-01-28 15:06

    It does seem a little fishy that the fender doesn't look to be damaged and it hasn't dug into the ground. And why would it tip over on a wide flat area?

  2654. #2654Truck Shop2026-01-28 17:52

    The Net is so full of AI altered media/photos I've gotten real leery of most I see. Even old Corporate ads for cars, trucks, farm equipment have been infiltrated. A few weeks ago I saw a ad supposedly from the mid 40's for Cummins with B&W corp/engineers/ at a desk. I've seen most, this one I didn't remember, close examination showed five fingers/one thumb on one of the people in photo.

  2655. #2655GunnieSacked2026-02-02 23:18

    1940’s Peterbilt 354 DT

  2656. #2656Truck Shop2026-02-03 10:05

    Hall Scott powered butane burner.

  2657. #2657Welder Dave2026-02-04 02:39

    They were the most powerful engines at the time. I read an article about them a few weeks ago.

  2658. #2658Truck Shop2026-02-04 04:59

    If the carb doesn't ice up.

  2659. #2659GunnieSacked2026-02-13 02:59

    As long as you keep the rad topped up, you’re good to go.

  2660. #2660GunnieSacked2026-02-13 03:04

    Pacific truck hauling 25,000+/bm load

  2661. #2661GunnieSacked2026-02-14 22:09
  2662. #2662GunnieSacked2026-02-19 00:02
  2663. #2663skadill2026-02-21 23:01
  2664. #2664GunnieSacked2026-03-01 21:18
  2665. #2665Hank R2026-03-05 07:17

    A New Zealand Kenworth

  2666. #2666Truck Shop2026-03-15 20:50

    Install a winch/grapple and this would have made a rather large skidder. *

  2667. #2667Truck Shop2026-03-17 16:45
  2668. #2668GunnieSacked2026-03-18 20:17
  2669. #2669GunnieSacked2026-03-25 19:35

    1934 Chev hauling 8700 BF

  2670. #2670Truck Shop2026-03-26 07:08

    I bet braking on that was top notch.

  2671. #2671Welder Dave2026-03-26 19:00

    The trailer looks to have tractor tires mounted.

  2672. #2672Hallback2026-03-26 20:04

    I used to cut timber with Kelly Ulin.

  2673. #2673skadill2026-03-30 01:14
  2674. #2674Greatwestcam2026-04-05 11:05

    To bad there isn't a thread here about Skogland Logging, was a big operation at one time, would like to know more about them.

  2675. #2675Hallback2026-04-05 15:36
  2676. #2676Hallback2026-04-05 15:37

    Just brought it back from the polisher last night

  2677. #2677GunnieSacked2026-04-05 16:19

    This is the only logging record I could find. May have to search University of BC for logging history records. Not much information about Skoglung Logging, more information about the Lakelse hot springs resort, renamed Skoglund Hotsprings Resort, than Skoglund logging. Community Stories Printable Version

  2678. #2678GunnieSacked2026-04-05 18:21

    Did a bit more looking and found that the Skoglund lost his property to the BC government who took ownership and later sold it to a Kitimat businessman, Bert Orleans. There was no date associated to the BC government taking ownership or any mention of the logging operation.

  2679. #2679GunnieSacked2026-04-05 20:07

    I did some looking in my Royal Museum of BC archive search file and found a few files on Skoglund logging. You can contact the RMBC archives in Victoria for more information about searching their records. Ask about when the Archivists are in so they can help you in your search. You will have to visit them, and register, heads up parking is a nightmare around the museum 2 hr max, do a search for parking spots, Yates St has a large lot 15 minutes away. Here are the files I found https://search-bcarchives.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/ray-skoglund-logging-operating-engineers-local-115 https://search-bcarchives.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/skoglund-logging-woodworkers-local-1-71 https://search-bcarchives.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/skoglund-logging-ltd-terrace-b-c-r-and-international-woodworkers-of-america-local-1-71-1964