Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Any Cat guys ever seen this happen?

02Dmax ยท 2015-11-22 20:15

So one of my customers has put both his D6D's up for sale but wanted me to go over them before he started advertising them. I found chunks in the left hand final of this one so we tore it down. The inner side of the bull gear hub broke totally off.

Replies6
  1. #1Cmark2015-11-22 22:34

    I've not seen the exact same situation on a bull gear carrier before, but seen several similar ones. I'm willing to bet a dollar that if you press the broken piece from the bearing, you will find where someone has been careless with the cutting torch which has initiated a stress riser leading to the failure.

  2. #202Dmax2015-11-22 23:16

    I'll have to press it off and check when I get back out there. I imagine you're right. I went through a final in their 7 last year and it had tons of torch gouges. Same outfit did it and both of these.

  3. #3tctractors2015-11-23 02:42

    I have seen the hub wear very thin on the Dead Shaft after the inner bearing failed, the D/Shaft also had massive wear to it needing replacing so I would tend to think this to be your more probable reason on this issue, the gas cutting marks on hubs is a common thing to see, I cannot understand how people can be so careless with this detail and hack the hell out of things? but I have never seen torch marks cause this shear effect only inner bearing fail resulting in the rub thing between the hub and the shaft, the inner bearing I always change the outer bearing never seems to suffer much and can often be re used when the coins are tight, this is just a general comment that I find in D6C/D's if I fit a new hub I always fit new bearings, check the adjuster slides nice also check the D/Shaft nut lock pins and study up the hub nut lock tab as I fit the tab and spin on the nut then hit the tab ear onto the hub lock area giving a perfect full tab lock against the hub, then I dog the nut tight looking around to find the notch a tab will lock into on the nut? tightening the nut to the tab. tctractors

  4. #4oldirt2015-11-23 10:23

    my 6D had the exact same failure as described by the O.P. only mine quit pulling on that side, but my gears were very worn and I saw no torch tracks.

  5. #5tctractors2015-11-23 13:45

    02D, are you looking forward to getting out your $450 spanner again?? Good Stuff, tctractors

  6. #602Dmax2015-11-23 18:35

    Haha. Yep! I've used it more than I thought I might on other projects and jobs. But it's a must have on these. For as bad as this failure was it wasn't making any noise whatsoever. And the inner bearing is in good shape really. Should have all my parts tomorrow and get it back together.