I have a 450b and it'll move when it's cold but no real umph to it and doesn't like to turn almost like the tranny is slipping in an automatic car and it gets worse as it warms up any ideas? I just bought it and knew about the issue but for $1500 figured i might as well give it a shot
Start with the simplest things first. Check your transmission filter, and suction screen. If those are good, check your transmission pressure, cold, and hot. Also make sure your tranny oil level is ok. Does it stop moving when hot?
Do you have a part number for a tranny filter or a Napa cross ref I want to just change it. Also do you know what type of gauge and fittings I need to check the pressures as the dozer is 2 and a half hours away
I had this happen to a parts machine I paid 3k for up here in alaska, ended up being the wrong fluid. Somebody put a mixture of atf/gear oil in it and it would move a little cold but after 5 minutes would quit. Guy sold it saying the tranny was shot but all I needed was finals and engine, when I loaded it on the trailer it didn't make any noises. So I investigated it further and found the wrong oil in it. Swapped that and a filter, than it ran ok then got a little better. The internal clutches are pretty bad now but I sure got some work out of it for 3k. I would also check and make sure all the shifting hoses and such under the seat are good too, not directly related to it not moving but is a good idea. Now in my good 450b after a good 2 hours of work the tranny get warm and loses a little power, not much though, but the shifts are harder which I believe is from the oil getting thinner due to heat. I just let it cool off for an hour, I need a break anyways with that thing.
Anyone have a part number on the transmission filter also what oil does it use? I know it takes 30.3 liters I think
What colour is tch? Fluid in tranny is clear also it won't move when you put it in gear the tranny pressure gauge moves up a bit in the red but barely moves the needle at all as soon as it is out of gear goes back no nothing
Also when it is running the transmission fluid is bubbly when you try to check it
Ideas anyone?
Help anyone?
If your oil has bubbles in it, then you are sucking in air. Probably from the suction filter. The rubber lines may also be rotten, and it could be sucking air in from there. Take a close look at that, and change anything that looks bad. You may need to install some clear line to see if you have found the air suction leak.
Like an o ring from what seals the suction filter?
Any of the hoses or hose clamps or suction filter housing could be the problem.
Pulled suction filter out it didn't look good shavings and some smaller chunks. Cleaned it out replaced o rings and swapped to a used charge pump. Cold she's good turns nice spins the tracks and transmission pressure is always in the green. As it warms up she start to slip tranny pressure is still good in the green and I looked at driveshaft and it's still spinning it'll move just doesn't really want to turn. Pulled the dipstick and it looks low can't see it on dipstick. Where do you drain the transmission? I bought 10 gallons of tch and a tranny filter. Also I have a leak from what looks like the top of the transmission it looks like a t fitting where 2 lines go into one. Somewhere around there it looks like any ideas
Drain plug is at rear right of the transmission housing. Should be #2. Any pictures of the debris on the screen?
No pictures but there was quite a bit could I maybe call you to pick your brain? Pm me your number if you don't mind thanks
It was pretty clogged up but I cleaned it and changed the charge pump. When you first use it it'll push dirt no problem. Once it warms up its hard to turn it really doesn't like to turn at all when you go high/low to turn it'll slow right down and keep going straight hesitate a bit then might turn kick it back. I had the blade down and had one track in high at maybe 1/3 throttle and it would kinda like pulsate tracks would tighten then slack I was watching the driveshaft and it was turning but the machine wasn't moving.
http://youtu.be/9J9girjFlEk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J9girjFlEk When it's warm it looses tranny pressure when you put it in gear but when you floor it goes to green.worse in high range goes to red in low it'll go to low yellow. It'll move in low or high though but both tracks have to be in same gear. If you try to go high/low it'll go straig and just slow right down. Driveshaft never stops turning when it won't move though
You should probably talk to "alrman". I believe that he has re-build these transmissions, and will be able to help you better. It would seem to me that your transmission seals are worn out.
Do you know how many hours removoval of a transmission is usually just so I can ballpark cost to have it pulled and reinstalled. May look into a good used option. I am capable of doing it myself but seeing as we will have snow anytime now and no good indoor shop it'll make things a bit more difficult to do
It would seem that the oil control rings on the shaft ends have failed - a long time ago - & the machine has continued to be used while different ranges have been engaging at the same time. This usually destroys clutch plates & you possibly have broken plates locking up drive in either left or right side & preventing steering. The transmission pressures need to be checked at an idle & the gauge should show the same pressure in all ranges. If it is low, or drops, there is leakage. Without rippers or a winch fitted to the rear of the machine - it could be removed in 4-6hrs - a little longer if you have trouble splitting tracks..... I wouldn't like to fit a used transmission, unless i knew it's history. But they all have loaded feathers in a mattress factory according to most sellers ...
These oil control rings are they the rings in the control valve?
No, they are on the transmission shafts - at the rear & front covers.