Hello I recently bought a 88 cat416 and need information on fluids. Hydraulic oil, for one also where’s the best place to buy parts? Serial numbers attached and thanks for any info you can offer.
For everything maintenance & operation-related you really need the basic Operation & Maintenance Manual. This will cover everything you need on that score. For your machine Serial Number (5PC06746) the reference is SEBU6232 that covers all 5PC machines up to 10761. Probably the best $50 you'll ever spend. Regarding parts the Cat dealer is the obvious (but not necessarily the cheapest) answer. However with a Parts Manual you could search the internet by Part Number to find parts for your machine. SEBP1843 covers 5PC machines from 6192-10761, so it includes yours.
Wow. That’s an original Leicester, U.K. built unit. A blast from the past.
Thank you Nige for the information. I did buy a manual from eBay supposedly for this model and year tractor ($80.00) It has 2750 pages of very detailed instructions about repair, maintenance and overhaul. And while I haven’t read everything I have found nothing that indicates specifics on the fluids. The man I bought it from said he never had it serviced so he wasn’t any help. He said he bought it to clear off and make his used truck dealership lot bigger. I had to wonder what kind of shape the trucks he’s selling are in? At any rate I figured most of the oils I see at these tractor supply places are more appropriate for newer tractors. Guess I’ll buy another manual thanks for your time.
If I was to tell you that a genuine OEM Service Manual for your machine sells for $1,250 how would that make you feel about your $80 eBay "bargain".? 2750 pages of total ***** more like. These "repair manuals" have popped up before. Loads of random pages pulled from the service system for which the best use is to punch a hole in the corner of each sheet and hang it up in the bog. Yet surprisingly it doesn't contain an O&M Manual (refer back to my post above) which is the first section of any genuine OEM Service Manual.
Attached the fluid recommendations from the O&M Manual for a 5PC machine. Having looked at available O&M Manuals I would recommend that you search for SEBU6338 rather than SEBU6232. Although it is for a different 5PC-prefix Serial Number range it contains better and more complete information. Here is a link to one on eBay .
Thanks, I just purchased it. I wish I had come here first and saved the $80 bucks, guess I'll go find a bog and get rid of that *****. LOL