Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Any gotchas with a DT466?

TXGeoSolarPro ยท 2010-05-21 20:11

I'm looking at buying a late 1990's Intl. single axle dump with the DT466 and manual transmission. Truck will be used to pull my JD 310 and horizontal boring rig and haul off any spoils from geo HEX installations. I've never owned an Intl with the DT466 and wanted to thoroughly check out the truck before cash changes hands. Do any of you wise sages have advice on any common or not so common problems I need to check out on this particular truck engine? Thanks for all the help!

Replies11
  1. #1OCR2010-05-21 20:46

    You gotchas' a good one, from what I know... have a few. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DT466 OCR...

  2. #2mikef872010-05-21 21:11

    great engine probably one of the best made, simple to fix no electronic crap. buy it.

  3. #3Mapleleaftrucks2010-05-21 21:25

    Very good engine, not a power house but good on fuel, just keep your rpm over 1800 if you are pulling a float or you could blow the head gasket. I have owned a few of them and that is the ownly problem i have had

  4. #4td25c2010-05-21 21:45

    Ih dt 466 :iagree,:thumbsup:thumbsup

  5. #5Dominion 4102010-05-21 21:50

    Dt-466 Good engine:thumbsup

  6. #6TXGeoSolarPro2010-05-22 08:50

    Thanks for the input. I'm on my way now to check out the truck. Hopefully it will be all that it is advertised to be.

  7. #7Muffler Bearing2010-05-22 11:51

    Funny, I just put a head gasket on the one in my service truck. I could actually see little bubbles fizzing out between block and head. Now the compression is good, the head and injectors were overhauled, but dang it still smokes like a freight train. Has anyone ever tweaked the pump to cut down on fuel?

  8. #8CM19952010-05-22 12:20

    I have owned a few and they have been good engines. Like Mapleleaftrucks said not a powerhouse but good on fuel. What kind of trans does the truck have? From experience I would want the 6+1 or at least a 6 sp. The Low gear will come in handy pulling the backhoe sometimes. I wouldn't buy it if it has just a 5 sp. Haven't owned a 5+2 so no comment on that trans. I have a 1999 service truck with Dt466 and 5sp, although it does OK for this purpose you don't want to drive it long distances unless you have all day.. Air brakes, air ride drivers seat and A/C are necessities as well.

  9. #9TXGeoSolarPro2010-05-22 14:18

    Its got the 6+1 transmission, very easy to shift with or without the clutch. Air PTO, air gate, good virgin rubber and air-ride seat. The RPM gauge doesn't work and the bed has the usual dings and the pintle hitch needs lowered for my use but it seems as though it is a solid older truck. Its a 4900 series and saw some limited use with a 5th wheel. Present owner has had it for 9 years (1997 model) and claims it is surplus to his needs as he mainly tows his equipment with newer TA equipment.

  10. #10nevrenufhp2010-05-23 10:24

    After messing with the fuel rate, it's part of the fine tuning. The pre-93's are harder to stop the smoke after you up the fuel. That's its own thread though.

  11. #11TXGeoSolarPro2010-05-23 12:54

    Dt466e? Have also found a potential truck a year newer with the 466E engine. I'm a little concerned about the electronic portion. Has anyone had a bad/good experience with the electronics on this engine?