We got a job that will require making these column bollards look better... they have been hammered by forklifts for the last 20 years or so... they still have the sonotube on them from when they were poured... it's torn up in spots and they cut the 36 inch by 72 inch tall sonotube in half down the length then spliced it with a 6 inch strip of sonotube cardboard down the side with screws...which leaves a big long 1/4" indent... and the actual pour looks like they didn't really vibrate or even tap the tube much if at all.... forgot to get a close up pic... So I was wondering if anyone here has done something similar to cover/coat these things??? to make them a bit more aesthetically pleasing or just any ideas of what might work to wrap them... plastic, metal, etc...??? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
Thought from left field. Spray-on truck bed liner material..?
Good idea I mentioned that to the boss while we were looking at them... unfortunately I saw some pretty big crevices on a few of them that had some sonotube torn off in places, so would probably have to sak or trowel them first with some patch...
So you want a coating that will stick to cardboard, look nice, and stand up to forklift collisions? Best I can do is synthetic stucco, a latex fortified cement product, brush it on and it will flex enough to cover imperfections and not shatter off when hit with a forklift. If the cardboard it rough or raised on the edges, try a knotted wire wheel on a grinder to even it out, or maybe just sanding disks.
Be careful with the bed liner . Most of that is isocyanate based and quite nasty. Should really be sprayed in a booth and you should have a supplied air respirator. The synthetic stucco sounds interesting. Might have a use for that myself if it would hold up outdoors.
^^^^ I like it if that would cover the hollows and pockets in the concrete it would be great!!! Right now we're kinda leaning towards galv. sheet metal wrapped and banded... probably screwed down an overlapping seam too... It would be fairly quick to install - would look smooth, is paintable. I wonder if you can get yellow HDPE/PE or similar in 6'x10' sheets about 1/8th inch thick maybe thinner???
Does the cardboard tube come off easy? I'd probably use some fine Cement patch or thinset and just rub it over the whole surface and use a sponge to smooth out. Then paint. Or find a stucco guy.
http://www.densona.com/denso-marine-systems-splash-zone-protection.aspx One of their products might work. They have spray on systems as well as wrap systems
Hard to say if it comes off easy??? really didn't try was mainly looking... pulled in a few spots that were torn just enough to expose lots of air pockets ... don't know if they sprayed a release agent on first... highly doubt it... as I believe they were planning on leaving the cardboard on permanently. First thing we discussed was patch an sak but just a rough guess on these things looked like a lot of hours to do that however it may end up that way as it is the normal convention with concrete walls. Oh how I'd like to find a guy that could spray concrete/stucco on like they do on build-up walls.
Thanks for the link Tugger I'll definitely look into that.
I'd pull the cardboard tubes off, and parge them. Cheap, easy fast. Probably under an hour per bollard.
Hammered by forklifts... There used to be a tug boat fender guy about a mile north of The Chateau St. Michelle gates. Could call Scougal Rubber they used to be off Airport down by the Rainier/Tully digs and see what they have. Protected and ok looking.
there is a plastic guarding set up out there, seen them at a few warehouses ive been in, look slick, and supposed to be forklift resistant, and not as terribly expensive as would think (not cheap though 100-150 USD) https://www.globalindustrial.com/c/outdoor-grounds-maintenance/parking-lot/protectors
Aesthetically pleasing you say? https://www.google.com/search?q=art...Aw&biw=375&bih=553&dpr=2#imgrc=UHRBD60xztlzkM
Yeah, They come in red too we've had them in other warehouses I repaired things in... like this one where a guy backed a 5k lifttruck into a column and shifted it about an inch... made the whole building shake!!! guys in the office thought the building got hit by a truck If you look closely in the first pics you notice that one of the columns is different than the rest...it got completely rammed out a few years ago... even broke the giant gluelam beam on the roof... dropped the roof over a foot very expensive fix
LOL!!! Funny guy I actually suggested wrapping them with shag carpet.... I got some funny looks from the other guys
I figured a quite a bit more than that all said and done to fill all the possible voids and cavities plus the indent strip I know about will take quite a bit of patch... and then paint them too..
Hmmmm, wonder how wide of conveyor belting I could get????
If you want to go with rubber, we have a company around here that deals is rubber and gaskets and hydraulic hoses and tubing only. I bet they have at least 6’ wide rubber for making gaskets. I am sure there is something similar you way.
What about taking steel pipe, slit it in 1/2 with a plasma cutter. Put each 1/2 back around it, and weld the seams back shut. 1/4" wall should hold up. You could just vary the cut a little to deal with variance in width.
https://www.schuylerco.com/ The mention of tugboat fenders above twigged my memory of these guys .They are right in your backyard to. All these ideas aside ,maybe they just need better forklift operators,can you imagine how long you would have your job if you keep hitting stuff?
That would be tougher
Ahhhhh, getting 'drivers' that take pride and know what they are doing.....yeah... sounded good for a second.... then I realized you were making a joke heh heh heh I think it comes down to the hiring strategy of these companies 'any' hire can do any job... we'll just give them a 30 minute training course and turn em' loose... they'll be an expert in no time There is hardly a warehouse I go into that hasn't been bumped/scraped/dinged/dented/smashed/etc.... 7 ways from sunday!!! There are actually a few but they are few and far between. It's just kinda the expected thing anymore to have workers that don't want to have pride in a job well done and try to improve their skills because they are only there to get hours and a paycheck.
Get some old tires, that fit the concrete diameter, snugly, cut them radially, snake them around the 6x6, and drop them to floor level, and the operators will hit them first, keeping them from doing more damage. That and a wrap of shag carpet, will give you that recycled reused repurposed regurgitated look, that is "in" now...