Hi all, been on here a few times with different questions, never got any responses though, hope someone has some ideas. Just bought a hardly used Takeuchi TB250 and was wondering if i could wire in a switch to the ground side of fuel pull off switch on the injection pump to act as a poor mans antitheft device. Would also like to hear of other ways i could do this . Thanks, Stephen
I like battery disconnect switches, not bullet proof by any means but makes it harder to steal - makes them have to have 2 keys to start the machine. Used something similar on the fuel pump solenoid on a Bobcat that the code panel quit working and we left it locked on - no need for a code to crank it. There is a wire quick connect to the fuel pump solenoid you could unplug and hide amongst the other wires. The machine would turn on but not crank. IMO, anything that makes it more difficult or time consuming for a thief is a step in the right direction. Oh yeah, Welcome to the Forums!:drinkup
If you have someone that is familiar with that machine then they will know how to easily bypass that with a jumper wire. Get a inline gas shut off valve from a dual fuel forklift. Install this in a place that is out of the way that can not be seen. Wire it in to a kill switch that is out of the way. If they get the machine started unless they figure out how to get fuel to the pump it won't go far enough to load. JJ.
Pull the fuse that supplies power to the pump and keep it with the key.
Thanks all for your ideas. I was told the fuel pump kill switch was not good because there might still be enough fuel in the system to get it on a trailer, then away she goes. I do have a battery disconnect switch on it but not a lot of places to hide it well and think it would be found rather quickly. Guess i'm just looking to keep the honest people honest as if they really want it they will find a way. I might look into the starter side of things not sure if there is a there is a starter solenoid with a wire that i could splice into. Thanks again all, Stephen
Yeah the thieves will, unfortunately that's what insurance is for..
That is another problem my homeowners only covers the Tak on my property. I won't be using it in a business but if i use it at my daughters house it won't be covered. Guess i better start looking for that too
I've installed kill switches in a variety of places. Fuel solenoid circuits, fuel pump circuits & starter circuits are the most common. Put one in a park brake circuit once too. They could get it started but it wouldnt go anywhere was the theory on that one. I agree with the other comments though. If they really want it they'll get it. best bet is insurance.
Yeah, I used to take a fuel pump relay in the fuse panel...was a pain to unscrew lid to fuse panel, but at the time, I left my machine all alone on property for days...I thought I was devious, but maybe not. My machine also came with a hidden toggle on starter (didn't notice it for a year)...that was a pain too, as I forgot if I flicked it, and I could never remember which way was on. Wasted a lot of time...I couldn't even steal my own machine. I think my greatest defence is the fact my driveway is an absolute nightmare for a flatdeck or trailer. One look at it, and I'm sure they will move on... I always wanted to get a gps tracker...but feeding my dirt addiction is more important I guess. Nothing like getting 48 tons of dirt to play with...sunny weekend to boot...:notworthy
Thanks all for your input. Guess i'll just put the old sign on her , i'm sure many of you have seen it , the one that says ......... THIS PROPERTY PROTECTED BY SMITH & WESSON 4 DAYS A WEEK , YOU GUESS WHICH 4
The starter solenoid signal wire is a good place to break it. Just put a remote toggle switch somewhere not so obvious. I have had many customers put some weird stuff in to keep there machine secure. They always flip when they arrive and I already have it running to work on it.
Yair . . . In these days of inexpensive motion activated camera's are think there are a few options . . . I found a length of strategically placed 50 pound flexible trace wire with a 2/0 treble swaged on about every foot could give interesting results. Cheers
lol:notworthy
You want simple make a boom lock that would leave the arms all the way up in the air
a little hidden ball valve on the fuel line. They will be able to start and run untill filters empty, most of the time the machine is stuck just before getting on trailer. Trust me it really works fine.
My grandfather always said that nothing dissuades thieves quite like a rotting head mounted on a pike by the front gate. Of course, he was from Romania, so your mileage may vary...
Never tried the rotting head. Thinking that should work lol. Thanks again to all but keep those ideas coming maybe i'll use a few of them, if this old brain lets me remember them all LOl:drinkup
As small as it is, and since you don't have insurance when its away from home, how about loading it up and taking it home with you at the end of the day, then your insurance is good. Most smaller stuff we take home at night, its more of a hassle to try to secure it, than just to strap it down on a tag and tote it home, that way its ready to go in the morning, even if its back to the same job.
If you can't stop them stealing your gear, there are tracking systems that are getting cheaper by the day. To be effective, I would think they would have to be well monitored. Worked to perfection here recently when a landscaping business grew tired of losing large specialist mowers, so installed one of these systems. Owner was alerted as soon as the thieves loaded a mower onto a trailer, and notified police. Cops were able to intercept the thieves with a road block, which they tried to crash through. A few shots through the windscreen quickly settled the matter. After a lengthy stay in hospital the driver eventually had his day in court. Cheers, Greg http://www.news-mail.com.au/news/reports-man-shot-head-police-outer-brisbane/2426190/
i have seen a few different ones you can wire up a press button switch somewhere in cabin that breaks the start wire from the ignition barrel hide it on underside of seat, a panel or in plain sight using a quick hitch switch or something similar wire up a relay from horn circuit so that to start machine u need to sound horn in order to contact the relay so that start signal can reach starter motor another one is a joystick lock of some description some hold left panel down (some machine dont start in such position) some hold travel pedals in opposite direction and fill up cabin footwell others link left and right joysticks together and block seat or a more expensive solution is vandal covers over windows (cab machine) or over seat and console (rops machine)
Thanks all for more great ideas. When i get it into the shop to service it i'll take a good look and probably put 2 or more switches or cut-out devices on it.It's great to know there are a lot of helpful folks here ,Thanks again, Stephen
I wish every machine came with a tracking device. It's one thing to stop them from stealing it but it's even more satisfying to make them pay for the crime one way or another.
Make a switch panel with about 6 switches all wired in a series with some turned so up is on and some so down it on amd make kind of a combination lock lol most will get in and see all the switches and not know what they are all for or which way is on or off. Some will think they are for extra lighting or something
Thanks 1466IH i did that once and then had a brain fart and forgot which needed to be up or down. Then i made a cheat sheet and forgot were i put it.Old age has that effect i guess
This has become a serious issue in our "enlightened society". Secrecy is a thief's ally. Several years ago we installed a home security system due to a rash of burglaries in the neighborhood, and having a machine shop in a building behind our home. This system had a local alarm that screamed about a burglary, in a voice that would make you liable for the poor thief's death. A combo of sound and flashing lights may derail any attempts to pilfer your machinery. If thieves are not becoming extinct, why do they have a closed season to allow further breeding?
Trip wire flare
Wire a GOOD fence charger from your daughter's house, to the machine. With 10kv, it is hard to touch or disconnect. I no longer have raccoons living in my tool shed.
Pulling key fuse I tried this on my one year old JD Tractor. It was blocking a wagon someone had stored in my shed. Guy called JD dealer and they walked him to the fuse on a tractor that was not his, over the phone! I come home find my $80K tractor not where I left it! Smart guy no longer had free shed storage!
I just got done servicing the Tak. I installed 3 remote switches and scattered them about the machine. Tied them into 2 different circuits. Might not completely stop them but it sure will slow them down.Thanks to all for your great ideas
Vandalism was an issue for us. We repurposed a steel fuel tank from a gas station job and cut a door into it big enough to drive the JD 350 into after work. Used road base to make a flat bottom then added shelving along the sides for storing supplies. The door was secured with powder magazine type lock boxes. The tank could be moved with the same trailer as the 350. Ended the problem, but needed better ventilation for the early morning start-ups.
I know some who use the cargo box type trailers like is used to ship from China to the USA for equipment that will fit in them. I have found a slightly misadjusted safety switch is simple and works especially in a system that has a few (tractor). Was told a few months back the newer machines at least many do have GPS devices to the point they are now stealing the older machines since they do not. Price your insurance carefully, check and see if you can add to your homeowners if so probably lowest cost option as a extra rider or endorsement. Along this line there is small subdivision about a mile from me a min was stolen in daylight why the owners crew was in there working. It was even seen being loaded as they first went to the one that would not start and then to the one that would...paying attention is one of the best preventions.