Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Any info on a skidder pulling a pan?

digdeeper ยท 2007-08-23 17:51

I would like to hear any input on the idea of a skidder pulling a dirt pan. I was thinking of a 150 hp skidder should be able to pull a 10 yard pan without much strain or am i wrong? I was planning on using the skidder b/c for one there cheap horsepower and they can stand up to a forrestry enviroment. We want to use a skidder to pull our bedding plows instead of the Cat D4's in order to save on undercarriage and to speed things up quite a bit. And it would be nice to be able to pull a pan also. Right now we are having to move dirt with excavator and dump trucks or if short distance D8k's. Any input would be appreciated. Chris

Replies3
  1. #1JDMGrading2007-08-23 22:23

    I've never even thought about a skidder pulling a pan...but if you could get it to work that would be pretty neat!:cool2

  2. #2pushcat2007-08-24 06:57

    One problem you might have is a lack of weight. We add several tons of ballast to our Steigers pulling scrapers for traction. I would think a skidder would be built lighter for the conditions they work in. A local tile contractor had a tile plow mounted on one and always had to use a pullcat. If you have to use a pushcat you might as well just pull it with a crawler. If you don't have a massive quantity to move and no hurry, it would probably work.

  3. #3digdeeper2007-08-24 07:03

    yeagh the weight problem crossed my mine also. I know you can feel the tires with water to help offset that some. What horsepower steiger are you running and what size pan is it pulling. Chris