I am sure many of you have felt rushed by either the bossman or customers before. I have been at my new job for almost 4 months now and it never seems like I have any time to finish any projects. I am not the greatest finish man on a dozer by anymeans but I still try to get stuff smoothed up and so it will drain but somtimes they don't even let me do that before its load up and off to the next quarry or pit. Been working at a sand pit for over 2 months now and after the last few days of rain the haul road is a disaster, can't do anything with it right now but I know that I won't get the time I need to get it smoothed out right before they will have me moving else where. What do you guys do? They are super happy with my work but for me, comming from an earthmoving business where everything got finished to this has been a change, am I being too fussy? Thanks Jason
If it looks good to them, that's all that matters. In the end, you work for them, not for yourself. I'm the same way, I'm a perfectionist beyond belief and it seems like I always need a little more time when doing finish work to get it right in my mind but boss says it's good. Just go with the flow, they'll appreicate your dedication to quality in the end.
Thanks, that kinda what I was thinking. My uncle was never fully satisfied with the job until HE was done, no matter what. But I guess they are happy and like how I do things so I guess thats what is important. Thanks again Jason
Everyday that i'm able to work it is a rush day! I own my own company ,but still can't be the boss all the time when it comes to working for customers. I do landimprovement work.Mostly it is for farmers.They are always wanting me to hurry and move on.After 32 years for my company in business, they better let me finish my work. Plus it is my reputation that has to stand the test of time,if it isn't done right the first time!!!!!!!! It has been pretty much that way since i started.In the long run it has paid for it's self.When they want it left rougher then hick,it only takes once. I have had to show them the benfits of stripping off the black dirt,and saving it when job is done,spread back over the place where they plan on growing crops. Usually it has to pass my inspection before i quit.Good luck.
From someone just comming from a family biz I know what you mean about keeping it good for you. Your work, more often that not, is what people see and or hear about and that brings business. We had a guy that used to always wanted my uncle to do the work. Ok so dad would send Harv out there and Harvey has 50+ years on a dozer and knows the show. He does it his way, which is right, and no one is going to rush him. Well this guy thought he was taking too long and called dad up, gota get him outa here. Costing me way to much. So dad said, you let Harvey finish it the way he is going to and you know it will be perfect when its done. You and I will dicker with the bill, we will make it right with you. So after Harvey was done, dad talked to the guy and asked how much do you think it was. Oh, got to be least $6000 or more. Dad asked will you settle for $5000, mind you Harvey hadn't turned in his hours yet for the project. The guy was happy as can be with that and wrote a check right there. The next week Harvey turned his hours in and total time on it came up to about $4200. I'll leave it at that. Jason
I dont run heavy eqipument, but know how you feel. Your work is part of you and either do it right or dont do it, but I guess if they are happy and say its done its done. The problem is when they arent happy, but you still got to move on then what:beatsme