Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Any issues with Case DEF systems?

Mike_IUOE ยท 2019-12-01 15:37

I sold my Bobcat T300 and I am looking at either a Bobcat T650 or a Case TR340 to replace it. I'm pretty familiar with Bobcat equipment, but after running a newer Case machine I am really looking hard at getting one. I found a lower hour 2015 TR340 that I like but I noticed they use DEF. I've only ran larger machines with DEF, never something small like a skid loader. I'd like to hear some opinions about getting a Case machine that uses DEF. It's mainly a home use machine that wont see a bunch of hours. I maybe put 200 hours a year on my old T300, but I want the thing to work when it needs to and pretty reliable without making trips to the dealer all the time.

Replies9
  1. #1KSSS2019-12-01 20:37

    I have two of them, a 2017 TR340 and 2018 SV340. I have yet to have an issue. I think the key is to work them (Over the last 3 days I moved 1500 cy of material on a job, TR340 ran wide out all day, every day) If you idle around a lot and don't get them warm I think DEF machines struggle, and that applies to all of them. If it is cold keep the idle higher, use clean DEF of course. If your not going to work it that hard or can get a way with a little less hp. I would consider finding a TV370. It is under 75 hp so no SCR, large frame, vertical lift machine. Those machines are DOC only, no DPF either.

  2. #2Mike_IUOE2019-12-01 22:33

    I've heard that about running them hard. That shouldn't be an issue. Glad to hear you have good luck with your Case machines. I looked up the TV370. That looks like a pretty nice machine. I'm going to look into that further

  3. #3Georgia Iron2019-12-01 22:47

    My sv340 has been down three time now. Def sensor which is $1000 unit. Covered by warranty. Def quality twice I bought new bottles, had to go in for a reset and drain. And now it is down on a SCR issue, unknown yet to be fixed. Each time I drive it to the dealer it is an hour each way. Kills a half day and lots of fuel. I bet I have used more fuel in my truck moving this back and forth to the dealer than the new def system will ever save in emissions. Can not service this yourself. The government and manufactures have ruined new equipment..

  4. #4Birken Vogt2019-12-01 23:03

    Same old story...get a good one and it's fine, but start to have problems and no one can fix it, and get out the checkbook.

  5. #5KSSS2019-12-02 22:44

    There was a time (tier 3) that you bought the most powerful machine......well because you might need it and if not, so what. Now only if really NEED to be above 75 hp than you get an SCR machine, but if you can get by with less, than you do it. There is simply less issues with the sub 75 hp machines, due to no SCR and their cheaper to buy. Especially if your not working the machine very hard, doing a lot of idling, using it more as a mechanical wheel barrow.

  6. #6Ronsii2019-12-02 23:46

    I guess the next step is to make the machines go to max power whenever you do anything with it... since the engine/emissions designs seem to require that....

  7. #7Birken Vogt2019-12-03 01:23

    Some towable generators I have seen have a large many kilowatt electric heater element in the engine heater hose that switches itself on automatically when the load drops below a certain percent and dumps electric heat into the engine water to keep things loaded up and warm.

  8. #8Mike_IUOE2019-12-03 22:51

    You're exactly right. I keep going back and forth on maybe getting a smaller machine. Its really a shame too. Its sure nice to have the extra power when you need it.

  9. #9KSSS2019-12-04 09:42

    Totally agree. The large frame machines are certainly capable, but they don't run like the high hp versions do when you need higher production capability. "A lot can always do a little, but a little can never do a lot". What "a lot" is, is subjective. I would demo one a 75 hp machine and see if can meet your needs.