Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Any kx040-4 owners have hvac/cab filtration issues?

zeroo · 2020-12-31 08:00

I just posted in the ctl forum because I’m looking at the svl’s and wondering if their filtering is as bad as the kx’s. I have a new kx040 and like it but the cab filter is pretty lame. Any long term issues? I’m thinking about retrofitting a better filter housing on it but one of the main issues I see is the outside air intake has no ability to be filtered. Incidentally I watched the kubota ad for the new -5 kx’s and one thing mentioned is improved hvac.

Replies15
  1. #1zeroo2020-12-31 08:01

    I will add that I understand ctl’s are exposed to a 100x more dust just because the nature of what mini x’s and ctl’s do.

  2. #2John Canfield2020-12-31 18:44

    I noticed some of the new compact equipment has pressurized cabs, the best way to have good air.

  3. #3heymccall2020-12-31 23:02

    I know the SVL HVAC sucks, literally. I have posts on here over such poor engineering. But, I wouldn't trade my SVLs for the world

  4. #4zeroo2020-12-31 23:15

    I’m currently fixing the crappy cab filtration

  5. #5zeroo2020-12-31 23:18

    I just bought a svl75. Pick up next week. First thing I’m going to do is fix the recirculating filter like the kx. Reseal all hvac intakes.

  6. #6heymccall2021-01-01 01:03

    Remember, on an SVL, it's not the filters themselves, it's the fact that the hvac inlet isn't attached to them.

  7. #7zeroo2021-01-01 08:37

    I’m going to seal the inlets pipes a little better, but the filters are infuriating. They’re just basically the cheap blue filters for house hvac. It’s like they want dust to run through the system, or is designed for a sterile cab environment.

  8. #8John Canfield2021-01-01 12:27

    The HVAC system was designed for a certain CFM air flow through the evap coil. If you restrict the air flow too much the evap coil could ice up.

  9. #9zeroo2021-01-01 12:49

    True, but the way this is if you want to use outside air you simply slide the louvers shut on the filter housing causing it to suck outside air from a 2” hole. That’s pretty restrictive and one reason I went with a large automotive filter because there is a large amount of surface inside the pleats. Ill know how much more restive this is once I get it on. Worse come to worse I can simply go back to stock very easily. Plus these variable speed automotive ac’s can operate at low speed so they are pretty forgiving.

  10. #10John Canfield2021-01-01 13:44

    My E42 exterior cabin air filter is only about 50 square inches of surface area - maybe 4 or 5 inches by 10 or 12 inches. I had a service guy out a few weeks ago for leaking diesel and he pulled the air filter, I had 125 hours on the machine and that little filter was really packed up. I operate with the cabin closed up 99% of the time (that's why I have a cab.) That little filter is $32 .

  11. #11zeroo2021-01-01 15:49

    you might try to find an automotive filter the same size. the kx only have a filter on the inside, if you want to call it a filter, but not having one outside you don't get a pressurized cab. shame on Kubota. The new generation kx's coming out this year are going to have a refined vac system.

  12. #12John Canfield2021-01-01 17:33

    My Deere 4720 cab tractor with HVAC has an exterior air filter maybe 10-20x the size of my E42. I'll take my air filter to an auto parts store, maybe they can match it.

  13. #13zeroo2021-01-02 19:13

    So I went a different direction, I used the factory cabin filter from kubota.

  14. #14zeroo2021-01-02 19:15

    This is the filter

  15. #15zeroo2021-01-02 20:21

    As soon as pick up my svl Monday the inside cab filter gets switched to this set up. Shameful kubota.