Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Any old time Pettibone service tech’s/mechanics out there?

etd66ss ยท 2016-12-01 11:38

I have a 1971 Pettibone 88 Extendo that I am working on, and in need of some help/advice/part number cross reference etc. I am having a terrible time searching for info and parts online, and I have talked to Pettibone directly, as well as some Pettibone dealers, and they are of little help for a machine that is so old. Maybe someone knows a better website/forums where I can find some Pettibone enthusiasts? In the meantime, here are some photo albums of the machine I have been tinkering with: http://imgur.com/a/zgEKA http://imgur.com/a/4Cn3L http://imgur.com/a/mATAv http://imgur.com/a/B6IEz

Replies15
  1. #1OFF2016-12-01 13:20

    I've had an intimate relationship with Pettibone Speed Swing for about the last 35 years. It's a railroad maintenance type crane. But that's only one Pettibone I've ever laid hands on. You might have to identify the original manufacturer of the parts you need and go from there. What kind of stuff are you looking for?

  2. #2etd66ss2016-12-01 14:13

    Well, at the moment I am rebuilding the HYD control valve for the front sway: http://imgur.com/a/4Cn3L I was able to find a seal kit on eBay, as the valve is Vickers (Owned by Eaton now). Then I moved on to the steering control unit: http://imgur.com/a/mATAv That turned out to be a Char-Lynn (Now owned by Eaton) UM3-01 unit, which I can't find any information on about seals, so I took it apart and measured the seals and ordered them myself from McM-Master Carr. I don't know what kind of flow rate this SCU has in case I need to replace the whole thing if the rebuild fails. I have a Pettibone parts manual, but for things like all the HYD cylinders, the HYD pump, brake components, Funk RC 23121 Reverse-O-Matic transmission, IH UB-240 engine, it's not been very easy finding parts and service information. I believe all the drivetrain stuff is Michigan Transaxle, which was bought out when I was still in diapers I think. And I can't figure out who manufactured all the HYD cylinders on the machine, to try to find piston/gland seals etc. I know I can take them apart and try to measure the seals etc, but it just seems like that info has to be out there somewhere, in an old mechanic's collection of books or in his head In general, I am having trouble cross referencing the Pettibone parts in my manual from 1971 to numbers that mean anything to anyone these days. Pettibone dealerships so far have not really been much help, if the part number does not come up on their PC screen, they just say "NOPE". It would be great to find someone who worked at a Pettibone dealership, or a mechanic who worked at a company that serviced them, maybe they could clue me in on parts searches and service tips etc. This is why I like my old CAT machines, parts are sooo much easier to come by...

  3. #3lantraxco2016-12-01 14:25

    Try this place, can't say how they are now, but twenty years ago if they couldn't help you, you couldn't be helped as far as pettibone bits. http://www.landmarkequipment.com/

  4. #4etd66ss2016-12-01 14:46

    Thanks, I will give them a try!

  5. #5OFF2016-12-01 16:52

    there's a guy I deal with for Pettibone parts, not sure that he can help with your machine but he's an old hand and been around a long time. Great guy to deal with, he might know where to send you if he can't help you. Bill Bishop of Swingmaster Corporation in Chicago. 847-451-1224

  6. #6Vetech632017-01-08 23:25

    I know most everyone at Pettibone as I am a distributor here in Oklahoma for them. I could possibly pull up the build records for your machine with a complete model and serial number.

  7. #7etd66ss2017-01-09 06:58

    That would be incredibly awesome! Model Number: 88CEL Serial Number: 7188CEL73 Here's a pic of the serial name plate: http://imgur.com/I9Lym3m Thanks!

  8. #8Vetech632017-01-09 14:52

    I did a record search on your serial number and came up with nothing. I have an 88 Parts book here on my laptop that I can email you if you give me your email address. I would need you to look through it and see how close it is to the machine you have. They made 6 different books for these 88's and several are no longer available. The book is 138 pages long.

  9. #9etd66ss2017-01-09 20:45

    Pettibone initially told me the same thing, but then later they said the numbers I gave them were correct. The manuals were $75 each, one parts manual, and one owners manual (which I guess is more like a service manual). I sent you a PM

  10. #10Vetech632017-01-10 08:02

    Sent it this morning. Let me know if I can do anything else!

  11. #11etd66ss2017-01-14 06:09

    There is one other thing maybe you can help me with. Do you have a paint code for Pettibone? Has the yellow color changed over the years since the early 1970's or has it stayed the same?

  12. #12Vetech632017-01-14 19:46

    For some reason the color code is some highly guarded secret. I have asked for this before but to no avail. I believe the paint is the same color, but the newer paint is of a different type. Sorry I can't be more specific for you.

  13. #13etd66ss2017-01-15 08:31

    Can you buy paint from them at all?

  14. #14Vetech632017-01-16 07:04

    Not that I am aware of, but I haven't tried in years.

  15. #15etd66ss2017-01-16 08:57

    Well I guess it is not a huge deal, I'll just use IH yellow then.