Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Gradall/JLG G943A Frozen steering

Brickman ยท 2016-12-01 07:17

Overnight the steering in my telehandler locks up solid in freezing weather. I have to tug on the steering wheel back and forth until it eventually frees up a little bit at a time. It started last winter so I changed the hydraulic fluid out thinking that may be the problem but although it helped a tiny bit it still locks up solid like the steering wheel is bolted down! Once I do get it freed up the steering will randomly lock up until after a few full turns of the steering wheel, the rest of the day it seems fine . I called my repair shop but they are no help. Any suggestions as to what might be the problem? It does it in all steering modes and the rest of the hydraulics work fine.

Replies7
  1. #1Brickman2016-12-08 14:07

    "Bump". No one?

  2. #2Knepptune2016-12-08 21:44

    Could be some moisture in the orbital. You might look into a magnetic engine block heater. If you have a place to plug the engine in you should be able to plug that in as well. Put it on the steering orbital under the dash. If it's not froze up the next morning you know that's where your moisture is at. If it's still froze up you know that's not the issue. If you have a freezing issue those magnetic block heaters are great for diagnosing it. Move it from valve to valve untill you find the right one. Saves some time taking valves apart looking for moisture.

  3. #3Brickman2016-12-09 06:23

    Thanks for replying, if it is the orbital, does the water get in and stay in? or could it be that it leaks in and there are seals that need replacing?

  4. #4Knepptune2016-12-10 16:51

    Could be either. If it has a closed cab or glass on top I doubt water is running in. I'd say there's just a little moisture in the system somewhere.

  5. #5usmcmurillo202017-01-08 08:36

    I have a few suggestions, have you checked your stand by pressure? If its low It could have hard steering effect. Also do you have antifreeze hydraulic oil in the unit? especially being up north.

  6. #6boomtech2017-01-23 21:09

    Nope just cold oil....they have all done that since day one

  7. #7boomtech2017-01-23 21:13

    Put one of the functions to the floor and hold for like 2min......deadhead that bitch till she warms a bit....we and JLG know its a pilot issue on start up but eveyone seems to live with it so the dont change it.....go figure