I had the pleasure to pull this bad boy out of the drink
Oh! I HATE when that happens! Never had to do that, but I've been to a few plane crashes with the Civil Air Patrol. (CAP volunteers will often provide "crash site security", babysitting wreckage until the accident investigators have the time to come and do their thing. It relieves the local police of the need to have somebody there to babysit.) At least that one is still in one piece. Do you have any more details?
Yeah it was fairly sweet, little bit of body wrinkle where we had the strops to pull it out, poor thing had just had new avionics installed to. Was a student pilot , to make it worse the runway he was trying to land on is so bloody long, nearly 1000m, only need couple hundred to put a cessna down, can be done in 100 on a precision landing. He was slight tail wind :beatsme and didnt touch the deck till bout 3/4 from the end, locked up and slid the rest of the way into you quessed it the towns septic holding ponds :drinkup poor fella will never live it down.
looks like a 172. any idea? yeah cesnas are sweet flying planes.
Dealt with a few of those when I was assigned to the Air Rescue Station. They do ok in slide-off, it's when they auger in that there is problems .
Yip surely is, they are awesome planes, get ya anywhere and strong as hell
Yeah slid a few myself in the past, dont wanna do the auger though, ive had friends do that and no return
Augering-in is kinda a one-time-only type of experience.
Nice ORANGE Iron Monrad--Is she a ZX120 or ZX130?? By the way, great pictures too.
She's a 120, goes very well
Uuuuuuh - so who drew the short straw and got to put the sling on???
not me anyway, there is a aircraft maintenance business here on the airfield so the boss got his man to do it lol
I was wondering whether that was a grass strip, or if it was an off-airport landing. It never occurred to me that it wasn't fresh water though. Yuck. We saw a home video in the CAP once, of one of their planes (don't recall whether it was a 172 or a 182), that had made a forced landing in a farmer's field. (Engine failure.) They got an Apache helicopter from the Army Reseve to airlift it out and take it back to the nearest airport. Pretty interesting to see. I remember that they'd called the factory to find out where exactly to put the slings, but darned if I remember exactly where they were supposed to go. Although, in this case, I guess the weight of the water might've been too much to lift it without damage no matter where the slings were...
Yuck is an appropriate description digger. It appears the old boy literally drove it into the toilet! :shf :falldownlaugh
Lifting over sprocket police reporting in That thing must be pretty light if you could pick it up with the stick out like that!
weight varys from bout 1600 to 2400 lbs, you have to lift it very slowly while the water runs out or you wreck it.
I got to do something kinda similar two summers ago, the transmission on this Bell 205 was making metal and needed changing... This was at a remote minesite road construction camp where everything was flown in by an MI-26... They had an IT-28 and this 330 there, the guy who I was working with wanted to use the IT-28 but I convinced him that the 330 was the much better choice... We didn't trust any of the "operators" they had there so I had to step up to the plate... It all went perfect, had her up and flying again in 2 days.
That's sweet. It's even sweeter that you got pictures!
man thats awesome, cool machines a
Any one had to do this before: There is a big nut, that holds the rotor on the shaft (mast). Any one want to take a guess at the "slang term"... lol OCR
is it the jesus nut, lol i have a big nut that holds my mast on as well lol..... sorry for the gutter talk
Any one had to do this before: By God!... you're right... Copied from Wiki: Just one?... I'd think that would cause an out of balance situation in the mechanism... :lmao OCR... lol
Wow that was a nice project! I'm just wondering if that's in the service manual; "...using suitable slings, lift rotors off of shaft using Cat 330..."