Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hitachi EX60 URG – labours when traveling

Wardiker ยท 2009-07-06 01:38

Hey guys, my unit runs like a top now thanks to your help. I have a new question. When I walk the unit it labours during the slightest incline and takes some finess to keep it moving. Downhill or level is fine unless Im plowing large amount of dirt with the blade. Does this sound like a problem with the drive reduction unit?

Replies21
  1. #1dirtlover2009-07-06 15:59

    Have you measured the compression on the engine, do you notice much blowby? How many hours on the motor?

  2. #2Wardiker2009-07-06 16:18

    Havnt measured compression yet, but will. Engine has 3500 hrs on it and runs very well, not much smoke at all (normall amount for a diesel) . Handles everything else with lots of power.

  3. #3willie592009-07-06 20:55

    If it digs with good horsepower, you probably don't have an engine problem. Is it hard to turn the machine with either track from standing still?

  4. #4Wardiker2009-07-06 22:22

    Yes very hard to turn with one track still, almost impossible. I usually have to get both moving 1st and even then its tuff turning tightly

  5. #5willie592009-07-06 23:31

    Drive motor problems on excavators...we seem to see that a lot here. If the machine digs good, you don't have an engine or pump problem. Now let's move to motors. You could have a failing motor, but both of them crapping out at the same time? Not impossible...but...that would be crazy rare. We could check the internal leakage of the motors at the case drains, but again, both motors at once??? I'm thinking, at this point, I would pull the rotary joint out and see if the seals in it have gone south. Just my opinion.

  6. #6Wardiker2009-07-07 01:20

    Were roughly is the rotary joint, I have an operators manual but for the life of me cant seem to locate it.

  7. #7cps2009-07-07 04:33

    Wardiker I have to agree with Atco on this one, it would be very rare for both motors to go at the same time! I would be looking at checking the rotary joint too! But just Before you go and do that one thing i can remeber the ex60urg doing was catching the rubber tracks on the track frame on un-even ground! It gave the same symtoms as your machine, but would go with a bang when it got free! has your machince got rubber tracks, Steel may even do it to! Just a thought that may save you a few bucks, and time Hope this helps CPS

  8. #8cps2009-07-07 04:37

    Oh and by the way, The rotary joint will be behind the boom, dead in the center of the slew ring, it'll have a load of pipes going in at the top and the same coming out and the bottom! (prob under neath the slew gaurd) Cant remember but i think it wont be easy got at on such a compact machine!

  9. #9Wardiker2009-07-07 12:46

    Thanks CPS, I do have rubber shoes on metal tracks and Im mostly on uneven ground. Ill check that 1st, because it does have that characteristic, feels like the track is catching on something as it turns. Thanks.

  10. #10willie592009-07-07 20:18

    That would be it CPS, and your right, every compact ex I've done it's a PITA to do. I'd rather drop the rotary joint on a 300 excavator...at least you can climb in them and work on it. I did one on a Cat 307SSR, I was upside down in the center of the machine and the fittings were right at the end of my arms reach...Uggghhh! He could have a track problem. But remember, I was going off the premise of his original post that "it labors on the slightest incline or while pushing a load with the blade". These are not necessarily "turning" situations. I only threw the turning question in there because it's been my experience when motors or rotary joint crap out and you don't have good drive power, the machine practically won't turn from dead still. Stick a lever in full and it will move slightly and that's it, and it won't even be putting much load on the motor.

  11. #11Argodzilla2010-04-23 14:53

    My EX60URG is doing something similar, but I can see hydraulic fluid and suspect a center joint.

  12. #12VP12010-05-02 21:31

    If I may? I have a Hitachi EX120-2. Similiar problem. Machine on startup runs strong. Have cleaned all fuel lines/banjo's (yes they had crap), engine is strong. Machine has 8700 hrs. After the hydraulic fluid get hot, the machine will barely move tracks when going uphill, down is fine, impossible to do 2 things at once...moving up hill and attempt to use bucket to help...nadda. Digging power drops off as well. Let machine cool, good for another go..perhaps 1 hour or so, then it starts to weaken in the hydraulics as oil heats up. Cylinders are very hot to the touch, hydraulic level in reservoir kept high to cool as much as possible. Any thoughts? Must say, some pithy responses on this forum. Nice.

  13. #13machine2010-05-04 10:05

    Make sure the travel was not stuck in rabbit mode.

  14. #14Tonyiada2010-12-07 21:21

    Guys, I am sorry to interrupt but i have a drive motor issue on the same machine. I just joined this forum but can not seem to be able to start a new post. Sorry again but can some one help me start a new post so i don't take valuable time from this gentleman that you are all trying to help?

  15. #15willie592010-12-07 22:09

    Welcome to the forum Tonyiada. :usa Once you post three times on the forum, at any thread except TGIF, you'll soon become a Junior Member and be able to start a new thread. Keep posting.

  16. #16Tonyiada2010-12-07 22:59

    If member "CPS" is out there I remember you troubleshoot some one that had the same machine ex 60 urg as me in my state CT who had replaced the main seal three times after he had the final drive rebuilt from a Hitachie dealer. I am still struggling starting new thread so sorry. Would like to contact "CPS" direct but i cant do anything with probation statues.

  17. #17Tonyiada2010-12-07 23:02

    Wow !! Thanks you so much. I would of never known that. Sorry for interrupting the current string. Any way to send a message directly to a senior member? Trying to reach "CPS"

  18. #18willie592010-12-07 23:08

    I think you have to lose the probationary status to send a PM. You have 3 post now. Log out of the forum, then log back in. This clears the cookies and you should soon become a Junior Member.

  19. #19Tonyiada2010-12-07 23:32

    Will do tomorrow. Its getting late and have to be at work by 5:30 am. Thanks for the help. Have a good night.

  20. #20Wardiker2010-12-08 00:00

    I still have the same problem, but have run the machine 2 years and its hasnt gotten worse, I use the bucket/boom to help me up hills and its not caused any problems, in fact Ive learned some great techniques. Id be interested to know what you find Tonyiada. Go ahead and feel free to post again on this thread to get ya off probation

  21. #21Tonyiada2010-12-09 07:00

    I will be picking up the unit tomorrow and look at options.