Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

any one have coments on the Loegering VTS Versatile track system?

lake side bob ยท 2011-10-11 17:41

Thinking of purchasing a set of VTS track system from Loegering. Looked on this site for information under Loegering VTS and after 4 pages no info, Does anyone have them and if you do what has been your experience with them? What is the repair cost involved vs a ASV undercarriage? Any comments will be appreciated. Are the VTS tracks commented on at this site? If so where can I find the comments/posts?

Replies5
  1. #1LanceNE2011-10-11 19:18

    Bob, Rented a 262Cat with the VTS track system for about 3 months. Probably those with a lot more experience, but here is my take on them compared to the other Cat track systems. 1. They stay on much better than Cat's CTL's but you will lose them easier than an MTL or ASV system. 2. We ran the 262 with the VTS side by side with a 287C MTL and the VTS gobbled lots more fuel. 3. They definitely ride rougher than an MTL and noisier. 4. There is a noticeable increase in height (clearance) which in our scenario was a plus. 5. The contractor next to us bought a 272 with the VTS system to do forestry work (it was a used machine). He had them all but tore up in about a month and put wheels back on. But, he also has pick ups that aren't that old that look like they've been in demolition work on the weekends. So probably not the machines fault. Just my 2 cents. I'm sure in certain applications they would be the answer, would be nice to have the option to go back to wheels.

  2. #2KSSS2011-10-11 20:00

    I have had them on for about 800 hours on a CASE 440. While they, like Lance mentioned, may not be as smooth or as quiet as an MTL they ride better and are quieter than a CTL. I have come to really like the ride the VTS offers. I have a couple of the rollers that will need to be replaced and the tracks are getting worn but it really has not cost me any down time as of yet. I use this machine only in the dirt and sometimes in rock when necessary. It is never on asphalt or concrete for any length of time. The difference in height mentioned changes your bucket dynamics a little bit. The VTS is heavy about 1600 pounds per side. The 440 has plenty of power to spare, but if you put this system on machines that are not as powerful it does pull them down. I also noticed an increase in fuel usage, but the productivity is so much better, I have no problems with that. I have never detracked with the VTS. They can take awhile to clean off if you really sink them in the mud. I bought mine off Iron Planet. They were new on the pallet still for 5K. There are some others coming up for auction soon I believe or they might have just gone through. You might want to check. I think new they want between 13-15K. New rubber for the VTS seems to be about 1400 a side give or take. I am trading this machine off with the VTS but not because there is anything wrong with the VTS system. I wanted an inexpensive way to determine if a tracked machine would work with the type of work I do. Getting the VTS for 5K provided that it has certainly paid for itself and then some. I will be getting a CTL. Although the ability to remove the VTS and go back to tires is often talked about, I don't know many guys that actually do that. I have never pulled the VTS off. Perhaps because I have another wheeled machine, but few around here pull the system off either. The extra width seems to be the biggest issue with this system. I went from 66" wide to 78".

  3. #3franklinute2011-10-12 13:18

    I bought a set new in 2005 and put on my 90XT Case. Our work is generally in the fall, winter and spring harvesting B&B trees when we face muddy conditions lifting and carrying heavy loads. The day we put the VTS on we dug large trees in a saturated field and carried the trees to dry ground just before more rain came in. Normally the 90XT with tires and metal tracks would sink to the belly if the ground is too wet. Width is a bit of an issue. It will only fit on bed over the tire trailers and it does change the height of the skid steer especially in the rear. We logged a ravine on our own land and the VTS system pulled the skid steer with the forks full of logs up some very steep hills. Now I have had to replace two hub assemblies approx $900 each and presently need to replace the tracks. I have replaced bearings and seals in the other two myself. We do take the tracks on and off as conditions or the job dictates.

  4. #4stuvecorp2011-10-12 21:26

    I bought a 70XT that had a set of VTS on and ran them for 300 plus hours and then switched them to my 440 which has 430 hours now. I don't know how many hours where on them when I got them and did have one track I replaced but that replaced track was used for a spare by another guy. I love them, it is like giving your machine steroids. I do think there could be issues with them if you are hard on stuff. I think like the others have said they use more fuel and the extra width can be an issue and don't think Terex is supporting them very well. I think the ride is way better compared to a CTL and basically the same as a MTL. I have never taken mine off in the last five years but if I had gotten some snow contracts I would have.

  5. #5A.W. Schmidt2016-09-01 16:40

    VTS Tracks I put a new set of these tracks on a 95XT Case. and they have been nothing but trouble. Yes the increase traction substantially but the quality control on these totally SUCKS. Less than 300 hours we had to replace a rear idler at $900 plus a full day to put it on with two guys. Now at 450 hrs the track rubber is cracking everywhere and they are even separating at the lap seam. It appears Logering will do nothing for me as to warranty so I plan to just go back to tires. Two other factors to keep in mind. These tracks suck up power of your machine and slow it down considerably. They also ride hard as hell compared to tires which is something I never expected. In short buy a machine with Factory tracks if you need tracks as these are a real wast of money.