Does anyone on this board remember or have experience with the Allis Chalmers HD20s? I have an opportunity to buy one of 1953 vintage. As did all the HD20s, this one has a 6cyl Detroit Diesel. One cylinder is gone on the engine, and it has not run for 5 or 10 years. Otherwise, it seems to have some work left in it. Is this a worthwhile project, or is it better left for the scrap yard?
If the rest of the dozer is in decent shape,frame,undercrrige,ect.I think it might be worthwhile at the rite price.6-71 detroits are still around and repairable.
The HD20s used a Detoit 110-6. The 110 refers to displacment per cylinder. While that's a big engine, I hear that it did not have all that much horsepower. From the little bit of research I've done, not much else (maybe nothing else) used that engine. That might make obtaining parts pretty tough. Or not?? What's scrap metal worth these days?
If it has the 110 detroit in it ,it will be harder to find parts.I thought all the older allis chalmers used the 71 series engine,my mistake.Im not sure what scrap price is now.I dont think its as high as last year.seems back then alot of people scrapping,not as much now.
Dude, you've got to send us some pictures of this thing! I'd hate to see any old A-C go to a scrap yard if it's in decent shape. I'd rather see the old dog find a new home.
Swampdog, the HD20 was a good dozer in it's day. Before you get too far into the engine maybe fish around in the finals with a magnet and see what you catch. AC's of this era (any era, really) were a tad weak in the finals. The 6-110 was a good engine, significantly more powerful and said to be more reliable than the 671 of the same vintage. The HD20 is the only dozer that used it as far as I know, but it was used in Euclid pans and trucks, boats, gensets, and RDC cars (the local shortline has one with a pair of centrifugally-blown 110's), but they're getting rare nowadays. I don't know if parts are available or not, but they sure aren't as common as 71 stuff. Here's some parts on Ebay, this is the only listing for 110 parts I saw. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-D...4680921QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear What about a repower?
Here's another parts link to take a look at: http://www.wwwilliams.com/distribution_dd.cfm
It might take a few weeks for me to make it over there and take a few pictures. When I do, I'll be glad to post them. And thanks DieselDave and Atco for the parts links. If I do go ahead with this, those should prove useful.
The HD-20 was a good tractor. We had one in the pusher fleet and it just seemed to keep going. Had a GM 6-110 in it. We also had an HD-19 - it had the 6-71 Unfortunately it went to scrap. It was the first track type tractor with a torque converter.
My first dozer was a 1955 allis chalmers hd16a,it had a torque converter that used diesel fuel from the fuel tank insted of hydrolic oil.It worked great.
What part of Canada are you from?? Heres a complete 110 for $1500......... http://forum.hcea.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=570&sid=3ec9f44dee43fca0f582c6cfa1926646
Be careful buying 6-110's and thinking you can swap engine parts around like you could with the 71 series. The 2-valve engines had a different camshaft from the 4-valve 6-110 engines. You could swap heads or blocks but the timing on the cam was different. I can't remember now but you could put a "4-valve head" on a "2-valve block" (or vice-verse) but you had to advance or retard the cam gear a couple of teeth or they wouldn't run. They'd just puff black smoke and act like they wanted to crank but wouldn't. .....and the old HD-20 will have the 2-valve head if it hasn't been updated.
Removed double post
Grandads brother had one. He rebuilt the old v6 it was slow but a good pushing old dozer. He passe away and the dozer set for about 10 years. When they sold it they put a battery in it and it fired right up. The only problem they had was one of the master cylinders for the cutting clutches had went dry. Once they filled it up it worked like a champ.
Just one province to the east of you - the land of milk and honey. Thanks for the link. And thanks to all for the info. I still haven't had the chance to look at the machine. Will post an update when I can do so.
The first nice Cable dozer I ran was Mr. Olen Parsons had one. He had gone through it and completly rebuilt her for a jo his trucking company was on. I had run other cable machines with a hand clutch and the steereng clutches non power assisted and you had to use a seperate foot brake as the clutces and brakes weren combined. Olen was up iin his years and asked dad to do a job at their church with it. 35 years after dad ran his last cable. Dad put me on it and I really enjoyed it and the torque converter driv although backing down a hill to get the next bite of brush it got faster and faster. A fella over in Alabama I know has 5 HD 20 cable blades he has a land clearing business. He likes the converter drive witth the straight shift and the cable blade to grub with. I d not scrap it they are a good farm dozer someone on IBdozing.com might take it off your hands. My neighbor had tons of AC equipment he let sit and cut up last year and scrapped it all folks allover bought parts from hime but his stupidd wife and crackhead son and grand son were stealing it all for scrap. He sold an HD21 with a new motor muley pusch tractor wit ha nice 3 barrel ripper for 3500 scrap. the jumped it and pulled it onto a trailer and killed it . made me sick I offered 9000 for it the year before.
land of milk and honey but that is the furthest one east. that is more then one over.
And all this time I thought that Nova Scotia was the land of Alexander Keith's and dulse. Go figger!
nope one more over. Kieth's taste like home brew.
They had the first ever HCEA show outside of USA here a few years ago and it was a great event, the organizers wanted lots of different makes for peoples interest. A local fella was asked to bring his HD15 and 20, one had a dozer and one a can, I recall him saying the only funny thing was they wanted to display antique equipment and this was his main lineup He obviously must have taken good care of it as they looked spectacular. He had actually been looking to retire a year or so before and was having a hard time selling it here so was hoping a collector might relieve him of his iron.... I was thinking instead of swapping out parts if the 110 was a runner just swap it straight in and then decided if the auxilary stuff works???????
Allis Chalmers HD20 Hello, I have a wonderful strong working Allis Chalmers HD20 with Detroit 6 110, custom cage, stabber and Garwin blade... that runs beautifully... she has helped me and my son clear 8 acres like a champ... please let me know if you are interested or know of anyone interested... she's in GREAT shape! Neighbor inherited her from her Dad who was original owner. Have owners manual and boxes of parts
Any pics where is it located?
Sorry about that should have included that... In Stanwood Washington
Not sure how to post pics on this thread?
I think I figured it out
The above dozer was sold to a neighbor a few years back and then bought by me a few months ago. My first dozer! Did some sanding and painting and some engine maintenance /fluids. Fixed all the leaks. and now need to get the track tensioners un froze. Already broke 2 pipe wrenches! Starts, runs and turns awesome. Already popped some stumps out with it!
Have a hd 15 myself very strong but to big for around the farm. Know anyone looking?
I’m in Tx
I have an HD 20 with cable unit here in Billings Mt. it is a puller in good condition. We also have a Cutis Wright cable can. I think it is 18.5 cu struck. It is in good condition. Might sell the pair or individually