Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Any opinions or experience with Hanomag 400D?

Z24O ยท 2009-01-13 09:19

Not content with just an excavator I now want to get a dozer to clear some scrub on my hills ,clean up a couple of dams,put a few access roads in,etc The dilemma i face is whether to get a newer,lower houred import like the komatsu/mitsubishi/furukawa D2 sized machines or get an older,bigger machine around D4/5 size. What scares me is the cost of repairs and parts for the bigger gear. Anyhow i have the opportunity to get a 1984 Hanomag 400D with 6300 hours on it for around $20K, 100hp perkins is a bit smoky when cold,really got to stand on the left brake but the guy will put in new brake linings for me for the cost of parts ($1500),believe it's a powershift,tracks look pretty good from the photos,D5 size Anyhow here are a few snaps,fire away with advice and opinions thanks fellas

Replies6
  1. #1stumpjumper832009-01-13 16:04

    I dunno how prices are in western austrailia, but 20k seems a little high for that machine. There is one on machinerytrader for 5.5k... The sprockets dont look new, how are the pins? Other thing that scares me is I dont find too many other ones out there on machinery trader... so parts might be getting scarce and or expensive...

  2. #2JimInOz2009-01-13 20:08

    Hanomag Hi Z240 A bloke rang me yesterday about spares for the Hanomag....I had no idea where to send him for parts.I get a few 400/600 owners looking for parts.The only place I can think of is Europe. I'd steer clear...they were an average machine when sold 20 years ago with parts backup...but not attractive now with no parts backup. $20K will buy a very tidy Komatsu D21,if it's big enough to do your job.Lots of dealers trying to sell them now...& doing deals. A D3/931 still sells for $25K....you can get a 955 for same money. PM me,if you like. Jim

  3. #3stumpjumper832009-01-13 20:34

    $$ for $$ I'd buy this before I'd buy a Hanomag http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...5924200&GUID=CF81EF32175948FEBD73188709999FA0

  4. #4Rusted2009-01-13 21:21

    Run away screaming Z240.

  5. #5Z24O2009-01-13 21:54

    me too but it's on the other side of the world:usa thanks to all who responded

  6. #6RocksnRoses2009-01-13 22:23

    I wouldn't buy it, Z240. Friends of mine had a later model Hanomag loader, they being of German descent, but they couldn't wait to get rid of it. It only did a bit over 3,000 hours, but there was always something wrong with it and as far as I know, no one handles them here any more, so parts are probably non existent. The Perkins engine would be about the only thing in it's favour. Rn'R.